Dreadnought equipment

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Dreadnought equipment

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Simply put:

My friend has an Ultramarine army and he is planning to get a Dreadnought. Because neither of us knows what actually is good or anything in 40k he asked if I could bother you and ask how should he equip his Dreadnought. So here it goes.

How should my friend equip his Ultramarine Dreadnought which is going to face Tyranids, IG, Tau and Eldar. Armies are about 500 points or more and the rest of his army contains a Rhino, 10 basic Marines (both squads have heavy weapons) and a commander with pretty grazy kit. And please remember to say WHY he should equip it like that or that... We need to know reasons as well 8)
Thank you.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Assault cannons are the way to go. Why? Simple: Heavy 4, Rending.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Psychologic
Assassin

Post by Psychologic »

Don't know much about it, but I've heard/red that a Plasma cannon is quite good against troops, and for the other arm a close-combat choice will be good.

_SJ
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

silver jaden: dreads cannot have plasma cannons anymore for some reason. but unless you are really short on heavy tankbusting for those AV 14 then assault cannon is the way to go easy
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Even then, assault cannon can sometimes get lucky.
ImageImageImageImage
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

The assault cannon has a better chance of a damaging hit against AV14 or 13 than either a lascannon or a twin-linked lascannon does. That's definetely saying something, especially considering it's extremely useful against medium or light infantry (save 4+ or worse) and very good (but not great) against heavy infantry (save 3+ or better). It's also the cheapest option you have.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Rending gives you a pretty deacent chance of smashing up some marines though.
ImageImageImageImage
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

well my old dreads have now been re-armed with assault cannons the new rules for them rule in the past they had a mix of heavy bolters and lascannons. i would go with stormbolter and assault cannons all the way now may they are the best.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Lloyba
Noble

Post by Lloyba »

assault cannon and a missile launcher. tank-busting and infantry killing abilities
with frag and krak missiles and 4 rending s6 shots :twisted:
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Kives beat me to it. People around here are starting to make the switch from combat dreads to weapon-platform dreads. That missle launcher will be a bad day for Eldar, Guard and definately Tyranids. Against the stronger targets like Wraithlords and the monstrous bugs it gives you a really good chance of killing them before they get anywhere near you. Or, if infantry is more of a trouble at the time then a template followed by 4 shots from the Assault cannon will definately kill a few. Also, he has a shooting army if he is taking the maximum amount of heavy weapons availible, so a shooty dread just makes sense.

Currently that Assault cannon is so overpowered it's become a no brainer.

Mod edit: Double post removed
Jhaelrnya
Highborn

Post by Jhaelrnya »

The new plastic Dread comes with Assault Cannon/Lascannon for right arm, and Missile/Fist for left arm. What you can do is just not glue them on. That way, whatever you want, you just put that arm on. They are a decent fit, so don't move very much either. And if they do, magnets/pins/blue tac are all great ways to fix any movement. The only downside to this option is you have to paint 4 rather than 2 arms!

But, if you just HAVE to glue the arms on (I would suggest agaisnt this with all of my willpower, it is a waste) then go for the assault cannon for the right arm. Left it comes down to personal preference really, and how the army fights.
Rork wrote:Because you are bound to turn up to battle dressed as a Christmas tree. I don't like people who condone the trade in Fir.

I'm back! But so very tired...
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Yeah, Jhaelrnya's right - just like Crisis suits, never glue the damn things on. Blue tac is your friend.
Anyway, go for an assault cannon as primary. From then on, it all depends what your friend thinks he'll do with it - will it be close enough to the enemy to warrant chargin it into CC (indeed, will it be well hidden enough that it won't get shot to bits first, which often happens?)? If so, the Dread's CCW (powerfist, basically) is the way to go. If not, I'd advise you to replace the CCW with a missile launcher - choice between AP and frag ammo makes it a very versatile weapon, and a far better pick than a lascannon (always cheaper, too, and able to be taken with the AC in this case).
Anyway, rending is fun. :D
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
The Jewel-Eyed One

Post by Avatarofslaanesh »

I always go with the Assault Cannon and Fist with Heavy Flamer attached

this is very effective against almost all things especially nids, nothing kills monsterous creatures like rending shots and S10 no armour save hits, plus the flamer is a good gaunt harde killer.
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

nowdays the assult cannon/fist is the way to go, but do as Jhaelrnya said if you realy need a las or missile
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum