2500pt Ulthwe Eldar

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Loki
Brolock
Brolock

2500pt Ulthwe Eldar

Post by Loki »

HQ
Seer Council 471
3 Farseers- SP, WB, Ghosthelm
1 Mind War, 2 Fortune
8 Warlocks-SP, WB
1 Destructor, 1 Enhance, 1 Embolden
Elite
5 Wraithguard 175
7 Howling Banshees- Exarch, Executioner 133
5 Fire Dragons- Exarch, Fire Pike, Tank Hunter 129
Troops
20 Black Guardians- Starcannon 210
20 Black Storm Guardians- Warlock-WB, SP, Enhance 202
20 Guardians- Starcannon 210
17 Guardians- Missile Launcher 191
Fast Attack
3 Vypers- 2 Brightlances, 1 Shuriken Cannon 180
7 Swooping Hawks- Exarch, SP, Web of Skulls, Sustained Attack 199
Heavy Support
Falcon- Scatter Laser, Holofield, Spirit Stone 180
Wraithlord- Brightlance 120
Fire Prism- Holofield, Spiritstone 150
___________ Total 2500
Just so everyone knows WB= Witchblade and SP= Shuriken Pistol. Other than that I changed my list a little because I wanted to try a much larger Seer Council. Usually I only take 4 warlocks but I thought it would help once they get into combat (which they always do in the end). As for the compostion I play tyranids and slaaneshi chaos alot so that greatly influenced the way I built the list. For tactics I will usually sit back with the guardians and shoot at the big bugs with the AP2 weapons. Most of the time i can take out 1 of the Hive tyrants and and some tyrant guard. The Wraithlord and the Tanks also try to take out as much as they can. As soon as the enemy gets close I send my guardians forward to shoot the guants and genestealers with their shuriken catapults. I have them assualt the bugs just so they can get the plus one attack. The Fire dragons go after anything with a good armour save and try to take it down. The Wraith guard are excellent for taking out big monsters because they can autokill them on a role of 6 to wound. The howling banshees usually go after Raveners or the warriors because of their powerweapon attacks. The Swooping hawks deepstrike and take out the zoanthropes and biovores. The vypers just make pests of themselves and shoot and good targets. I save the wraithlord and avatar as a tag team of the hive tyrants and carnifexes. The Seercouncil can usually take on any enemy with their ability to wound on a 2+. So thats the army list feel free to critisize it and ask any questions you want.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Blinkpunk
Black Guard

Post by Blinkpunk »

your council is HUGE. but i think you should swap out fortune for guide, with out guide your fire prism will only hit half the time, and it's fair expensive to only be hitting half the time.

that's all really, one question, why the huge guardian sizes? don't they get a bit hard to move around the board and keep track of who's in what when there's like 80 of them?

good list, is it all painted?
"Chaos often breeds life when order breeds habit"- Henry Adams
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I wouldn't bother with the fire prism. Although it's a nice tank in theory, the BS3 is too unreliable for such an expensive tank that relies on a single shot weapon.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I had made this list awhile back. Since then I have gotten another Falcon. I think what I might do is drop 4 guardians and just add another falcon of the same type as the other one.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Get at least 2 Augments for your Seer council warlocks, and to get the points for that just drop a witchblade from one warlock (close combat weapon instead). One warlock is going to die from shooting etc, so you might as well make it a 13 point one.

Agreed about the Fire prism, don't like the unreliability (you'd think they'd have a pilot with good aim to man the most destructive tank availible in the army).

The banshees seem awfully lonely moving on foot in a squad of 7. I'd shell out for a serpent and fill out the squad to 10.

I'd say you should put the Firedragons in a falcon.

Take one Vyper out of the squadron, so you cant lose them all to one round of shooting. Individual they are harder to kill and you have a fast attack spot open.

There are a lot of other changes I'd do, but then it's no longer the list you want ;)
Sv_harlequin
Assassin

Post by Sv_harlequin »

For the love of God chuck the Prism, it doesnt do what it says on the tin.

Banshees need Transport and an Exarch.

The Wraithguard will need a Warlock also all Guardians regardless of what type they should include a Warlock.

With that size seer council maybe you should include Eldrad, okay only 1 attack but thats not the point of him.

Consider a squad on Reapers and keep them near the Councilm repeating shots that take out Marine like figures are alwats useful.
Mal: Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

SV_Harlequin wrote:Consider a squad on Reapers and keep them near the Councilm repeating shots that take out Marine like figures are alwats useful.

Wouldn't touch them. Now they can't be screened they will get gunned down by a couple of heavy bolters in turn 1 :cry:.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

HQ
Seer Council 415
3 Farseers- SP, WB, Ghosthelm
1 Mind War, 2 Fortune
6 Warlocks-SP, WB
1 Destructor, 1 Enhance, 1 Embolden
1 Warlock, SP, CCW
Elite
5 Wraithguard 217, Warlock SP, WB, Enhance
7 Howling Banshees- Exarch, Executioner 133
5 Fire Dragons- Exarch, Fire Pike, Tank Hunter 129
Troops
19 Black Guardians- Starcannon 202
19 Black Storm Guardians- Warlock-WB, SP, Enhance 194
18 Guardians- Starcannon 194
17 Guardians- Missile Launcher 191
Fast Attack
3 Vypers- 2 Brightlances, 1 Shuriken Cannon 180
7 Swooping Hawks- Exarch, SP, Web of Skulls, Sustained Attack 199
Heavy Support
___________ Total 2494
Oopsy I made a mistake. After re-adding it all up, i found that i was quite a few points over (about 116) Anywho I took some of your suggestions, mainly the one about the fire prism, and i added them in. I also dropped the wraithlord because it was the easiest thing to drop. If you have any comments feel free to make them.
Banshees need Transport and an Exarch.

They do have an exarch. And with the tyranids lack of shooting, plus all the other tempting targets, im not to worried about them not having a transport.
I'd say you should put the Firedragons in a falcon.

The firedragons do go in the falcon I just forgot to mention it.
And about the large amounts of guardians; when there are many guants with low armour saves, the shuriken catapults can do fairly well. It also gives them more survivability for the inevitable combat.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Ok so I played a game against tyranids the other day with the new list. It faired pretty well with the shooting aspect. The seer council and the avatar did most of the work in combat though with some help from the banshees. The guardians lasted a little longer in combat than normal due to their larger sizes ( i usually play smaller units) but still lost out to the high amount of attacks. Other than that everything went well.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ