1500 points imperial guard

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

The_cuzzbag
Trainee Warrior

1500 points imperial guard

Post by The_cuzzbag »

This is my current imperial guard army.

All comments and critisisms are greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Heroic Senior Officer
- bolt pistol, carapace, power wpn, refractor field
- Iron discipline.
4 guardsmen - 2 plasma guns.

+ Commisar - powerfist, bolt pistol, carapace, refractor field, bionics.

Junior officer
- bolt pistol, carapace, power wpn, Honorifica Imperialis
- Iron discipline.
4 guardsmen - 1 Missile Launcher.

1 section - heavy bolter, sharpshooters.
2 section - Auto Cannon, sharpshooters.
3 section - Missile Launcher, sharpshooters.

Armoured Fist sqd
Vet sgt- flamer
- sharpshooters, frag grenades.
Chimera - hvy bolter, hvy flamer.

Stormtroopers
vet sgt - power wpn
9 stormtroopers - 1 melta gun, 1 plasma gun Infiltrate.

5 ratling snipers.

Hellhound

leman russ - 2 hvy bolters, 1 lascannon

Basilisk Indirect fire.

1500 points, 71 models.

Ok,
The basic plan for this army is the infantry platoon holds a position with the command squand and the plt command. This will be supported by the basilisk either hiding behind a hill (depends on the size of the board *damn minimum indirect range of 36*) or way back in a corner.
The AF squad will be a rapid response force incase anything gets close.

The stormtroopers will infiltrate to either get the best deployment position or sneak in the back to take out vulnerable squads.

1 leman russ will stay back and pound the enemy, the other will work its way forward with the hellhound.

The ratling snipers i always take, not only cause i like them but they r very indevidual.

They will do 1 of 3 things, during all of which will kill.
1 - Will deploy to hinder enemy infitrator deployment. (at 55 points they dont really matter)
2 - deploy to be really annoying (find the only building with a 3+ cover save and then theyre terminators)
3 - (usually the one i use) Deploy them to kill one specific unit, the annoying high T unit like a carnifix, bikers or a nightbringer (heh they did that once already).

I think my main problem is that for an imperial guard army i only have 40 basic guardsmen. I like this style of army though as i find it takes a hell of a lot of firepower to unhinge a well placed tank so i have the advantage of having 5 of them, 2 of which have very heavy armour.

Once again i would love to hear any comments or criticisms. Thanks very much,

The Cuzzbag.
I am not a pessimist; to perceive evil where it exists is, in my opinion, a form of optimism.

The cuzzbag
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

You don't have very many infantry, which is generally a bad sign with IG. I would suggest not giving sharpshooters to units unless they are an anti-tank squad or one of the support squads with lots of special or heavy weapons taken as part of an HQ command. Other than that, it's really just a waste of points, since you are basically paying to re-roll lasgun shots. :shock: You also have a ton of tanks. I'd suggest choosing 2 and sticking with them, then using the extra points to take another infantry platoon. The extra bodies with more heavy weapons dispersed throughout them will probably be more effective than the tanks you got rid of. Personally, I'd keep the Russes and ditch the others. I'm not a fan of ratlings either, but since some people like them (and you may well be one), I won't say anything about taking those guys out.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

agrees with most things pmp said. way to low on the body count. my ow IG army was around twice that at same points. now the ratlings i do love, snipers are very nice against so much (liek the wraithlords and other nasty large things).

also why no standard? it is dirt cheap and sooo effective!
The_cuzzbag
Trainee Warrior

Post by The_cuzzbag »

What i got here is what i currently have.
Thats what the list is based around.
On top of this all my infantry (bar the AF squad) are armmagedon steel legion models which at the moment are harder to get (my local gw dosnt stock them any more :( ) and i dont want to have 2 different platoons (it dosnt really matter but i just like it this way).

I plan to get more steel legion men but it takes some time.

pmp i find sharpshooters very handy for normal infantry aswell, i have a nasty habit of rolling 1's for almost everything (xcept ld tests) and ive found for 10 points extra and with that small ammount of infantry it works well. I wouldnt try it with an infantry ig army cause there u have the numbers to not even worry about it.

I also forgot to mention this is an armoured support company (dosnt actually mean anything) and im actually trying to get the feel of the "extra" stuff if you know what i mean.
I try not to have a full infantry company cause its bloody annoying to paint and i personally like the tanks more than the guardsmen (ig tanks crap all over marine tanks).

Like i said in the first post, i love my tanks and i find that having 5 usually puts alot of pressure on enemy anti-armour, at the end of the game i generally have 2 or 3 left with no enemy anti armour left.

And i dont take a standard cause there is no steel legion model and i havnt got around to converting one yet.

thanks and please keep bitching about my list.
I am not a pessimist; to perceive evil where it exists is, in my opinion, a form of optimism.

The cuzzbag
Excalibur
Warrior

Re: 1500 points imperial guard

Post by Excalibur »

First, your guard, there are three things that are on the whole a bad use of points. Refractor Fields, Powerfists amd Carapice armor. If you take those out you would be close to another squad of guys. Rule of thumb is keep inividual models/characters as cheap as possible. You lose your Officer in combat to a Chapter Master, no big deal you have 30 more men and two tanks to blow him up.

Heroic Senior Officer
- bolt pistol, carapace, power wpn, refractor field
- Iron discipline.
4 guardsmen - 2 plasma guns.

I would down-grad the officer, and drop everything on him and give him a storm bolter, it makes the squad he is with more shooty. Keep the PW if you want.

+ Commisar - powerfist, bolt pistol, carapace, refractor field, bionics.
Same deal as the Officer, Storm Bolter, PW.

Junior officer
- bolt pistol, carapace, power wpn, Honorifica Imperialis
- Iron discipline.
4 guardsmen - 1 Missile Launcher.

Again, make the officers cheap, get more men.

1 section - heavy bolter, sharpshooters.
2 section - Auto Cannon, sharpshooters.
3 section - Missile Launcher, sharpshooters.

You have two Lemans, so you should thing about making the ML a HB. More shots beats better AP, more chances to fail a role.

Armoured Fist sqd
Vet sgt- flamer
- sharpshooters, frag grenades.
Chimera - hvy bolter, hvy flamer.

HFlamer for HB?

Stormtroopers
vet sgt - power wpn
9 stormtroopers - 1 melta gun, 1 plasma gun Infiltrate.

Drop the power weapon. Ussually I shy away from plasma guns but with this squad maybe going with two. (I know you have it this way because that is how the blister comes.)

5 ratling snipers.

There fun.

Hellhound

This is fun.

Basilisk Indirect firre
Dauntlessfalken
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dauntlessfalken »

i am pretty good with the guard (nationals ohhh yeah) and i tend to have bout 50 or so guards men with auto cannons to pin down the enemy and bout two AF with plasma guns squads to go round the flanks this with a leman russ or two is a great army if you keep the chimeras behind cover whilst getting round the flank and opening up with the plasma guns
also if ur really desperate to get into combat take some grey knights and slauter them after your autocannons and plasma have weakened them
I'm the one instilling fear in your mind
I'm the one in the back of your head saying hide
Because for those who run I shall show no mercy
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

I agree that the extra equiptmen and sharpshooters upgrades are a waste of points

If you don't want a large amount of men why don't you look at the fast attack slots?

IMO a squad of rough riders is much better than cmd squads with tooled up characters; cheaper and faster too!! And I can always find a use for a couple of sentinels, with whatever armament, they are great for filling that last niche. Need more antitank? go for lascannon and HKM. Need some anti infantry? Go for a multilaser, or my personal favorite, the flamer. And with that many tanks in your list they should last a bit longer than usual as well. :twisted:
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)