Space Marines - Imperial Guard Advantages/Disvantages

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

going a bit off topic here, I have a bucket load of the metal Steel Legion models, the are basecoated really (not by me) I will be listing them on eBay this evening...PM me before hand if you are interested though.

Back on topic. Even though alot of people slateSM's a bit for being boring or whatever, they are a very solid army and IMO an excellent choice for a new 40K player...though if you are coming from a WFB background you may find them a little brainless...hhmm so why not buy all my SL!!!
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

The main reason I love the IG is because they are thought of as the under dogs. Weak, pathetic, attacked from all sides by mighty alien races with incredible technology. And yet, dispite this, they survive. A guardsman must be the bravest thing in the universe. They KNOW whats out there. They KNOW how hard the enemy is. And yet they still go out there and do their job. Thats bravery. Thats impressive.
Hear hear! Jolly good speach Commisar Silas.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Dark shadow blade
Shade

Post by Dark shadow blade »

Got to admit, I like the horde aspect combined with Rapid fire weaponry.

However, Chaos in 40k will always be my number one love.
Silas
the Mad

Post by Silas »

Arquinsiel wrote:Hear hear! Jolly good speach Commisar Silas.

Rousing was it? Inspired you to go out with your troops and kick butt? :P

As for SM being boring, well that depends. I find general marines are boring. Oh they are super soldiers. Oh look, they are good at what they do. Oh, 5 men went in and took out a heavily guarded enemy officer and got out again. Whoop de doo, thats what they are designed for. Its not impressive that they do what they are designed to do.

On the other hand, SM chapters like the Space Wolves and the Dark Angels are great, because they have that flaw as it were, something that gives them a really good character. Space Wolves and White Scars are the only chapters I'd consider collecting, purely because of their background.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Rousing was it? Inspired you to go out with your troops and kick butt?

Yeah, but the Fifth Davion Light Cavelry (Infantry Devision) get bugger all fun time when the mechs are on the field. Very littl ein the 40k universe stands up to a lance of even light mechs.
ImageImageImageImage
Violatorx
Executioner

Post by Violatorx »

i would collect imperial guard because they can have so many squads pushed in one army and they can have tanks its just the armor saves 5 plus and the fact that if you run the commissar will shoot youre guardsmen but overall i like IG

but space marines are just not as exciting and everybody collects marines they have good armor saves and very good choices but there disadvantage is they cost to many points but they are good just not as exciting

anyway good luck with the choice cya

Mod Edit: If you have something to add to an existing post, use the Edit button! Three separate posts in three minutes is unnecessary.
Jesus loves you. The rest of us think you're an idiot
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

i would collect imperial guard because they can have so many squads pushed in one army and they can have tanks its just the armor saves 5 plus and the fact that if you run the commissar will shoot youre guardsmen but overall i like IG

but space marines are just not as exciting and everybody collects marines they have good armor saves and very good choices but there disadvantage is they cost to many points but they are good just not as exciting

Dude, use punctuation. Or lay off the coffee.
ImageImageImageImage