Dark eldar 2000

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Crazyhorse
Highborn

Dark eldar 2000

Post by Crazyhorse »

Well I got bored and made a list based off of some of the bids I won on ebay.

Archon
Agoniser
Splinter pistol
Combat drugs
Shadow field
9 warriors
2 splinter cannons
Raider
Disintegrator
Slave snares
Night shield
Scaling nets

Troops
Raider squad
Raider
9 warriors
1 Sybarite
Agoniser
Splinter pistol
Splinter cannon
Slave snares
Night shield
Scaling nets
Shredder
Blaster

Raider squad
Raider
9 warriors
1 Sybarite
Agoniser
Splinter pistol
Splinter cannon
Slave snares
Night shield
Scaling nets
Shredder
Blaster

Elite
5 mandrakes

9 wyches
1 Succubus
Wych weapons
Agoniser
Splinter pistol
Raider
Slave snares
Night shield
Scaling nets
Shredder
Blaster

Beast master
5 warp beasts

Fast attack

Reavers x5
Succubus
Agoniser
Power weapon
Tormentor helm

Reavers x 5
Blasters

Hellions x4

Heavy support

Ravager
2 disintegrators
Night shield

Ravager
1 disintegrator
Night shield

5 scourges
4 splinter cannons

1994 points
I welcome all advice as I still don't own much and the list will change what I buy.

Thank you,

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

This is the first dark eldar list I have seen here... I'm sure there is more, but still...
Well it looks as if your trying to touch base on most things that the dark eldar have. My opinion, however, is not to use warp beasts or hellions, they look really good, but usually get shot to pieces before they touch anything. Replace them with a talos (Talos is awesome!) and maybe a Hemonculus with some grotesks.
I've never used mandrakes, so I can't say how well they will do.

Also, more of a side note, if you ever use incubi, Drahzar is well worth his points, get him if you can (I think you have to order him).

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

That's a lot of upgrades for what you get out of those units. I have a similar list, at 1500 pts, just without a few of the support units. Slave snares, night shield, and the scaling nets aren't particularly useful. terrorfexs, one the other hand, are a useful addition. A retinue of warriors is also not all that useful since they are troop choices anyways. All you're getting there by sacrificing the archon's movement in and out of the unit is an extra splinter cannon - not that great a deal really. I'm also not a big fan of sybarites in general - waste of points if you ask me. Scourges are cool, but given the anti-infantry potential of your list, the splinter cannons are a bit of overkill. Might be better off with lance weapons instead if you think you're lucky enough to stand still, or else trade out some of the anti-infantry in the rest of the list for long range anti-tank (dark lances). If you refine your upgrades and make things more cost effective, there's likely another unit or two available with the spare points. Incidentally, units of 6 wyches, fully kitted out, are often just as good as units of 10 - especially when either way, if they get shot down, the unit is completely toast. At least with smaller units, they don't cost as much. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Thanks for the quick reply, for now I am not sure I want to drop the Warp beasts, hellions, slave snares or night sheild however I did work out some of your ideas.

Well if I drop all the scalling nets the Sybarite,Agoniser, and Splinter pistol from the raider squads. Then also drop the Succubus,Agoniser, and Splinter pistol from the wych squad (by drop I mean make the Succubus and Sybarite into base troopers). I can afford a sniper squad of 10 warriors with two dark lances. What would you do with 109 points?

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Well, for one, I'd never drop a succubus with an agonizer from a unit of wyches - just no way. The figs along has quite often doubled the amount of damage that unit does against anything with armour, and it ensures that really annoying, heavily armoured and tough stuff respects the unit (and normally tried to shoot it down). After all, 3 attacks base, 1 for the assault, and maybe another from drugs, hitting on 3s is normally good for a couple wounds against even a wraithlord. If you want to make it a real surprise, add an actual combat drug upgrade (and then you can get multiple upgrade choices - though you may kill yourself).

Nightshields look good in principle, but generally with an army like this, the only things they are going to help against are rapid-fire weapons as you'll normally be close enough for most other weapons to still stay in range.

As to the points, what I'd liekly do is decrease the size of the wych unit and to make up a few more points and then add a second one (I forget the points, but 2 with 6 each are very versatile). Incidentally, I think you should always give wyches plasma grenades.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

109 points, hmm, I would say a yes to the tank hunting dark lance squad, they can be well worth it.
But I would keep the scaling nets for sure (If you plan on doing any charging), and possibly the night shield, it can save you on turn 1 depending on who your facing (and has saved me from many a bolter shot). And a massive yes to the terrorfex, it has scared off many a squad in my games.

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

But I would keep the scaling nets for sure (If you plan on doing any charging)

How do the nets help with charging? All they do is let you pick up or drop off on the move. And they let guys hit the raider easier in CC (making grenades more effective, and a single guy with a power fist becomes a real threat). I suppose if you were already close to start with and wanted to get the raider out of the way or something, but I think those situations are fairly minimal in the possibilities. Sure, its not a big points sink by any stretch, but horrofexes are vastly more effective for the same cost (and will come very handy when the new edition comes out - provided how much you believe rumours).
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

My DE charge on turn 1 because they get the extra move from scaling nets. And I usually keep my raiders out of charge range after that (it's a fast skimmer, It's not that hard. And you could always add those spikes as an added defence in CC.
And what are the new rumors that effect the horrorfex?

Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

Bikeninja wrote:My DE charge on turn 1 because they get the extra move from scaling nets.

What extra move from scaling nets? They don't let you go any faster...

crazyhorse wrote:Ravager
2 disintegrators
Night shield

Ravager
1 disintegrator
Night shield

I wouldn't take a mix of disintergrators and dark lances if I were you - just take the disintergrators, and give lances to the raiders. Otherwise you're mixing up anti-tank and anti-personal on the same vehicle, and (seeing how they can't split fire) means you're just wasting points.

Vorchild wrote:Slave snares, night shield, and the scaling nets aren't particularly useful

I actually find Night Shields are well worth their points. I can't even count the amount of time they've come through for me, and kept my tin-foil armoured troops alive. I've got perfect wins before due to those.
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Vorchild wrote: A retinue of warriors is also not all that useful since they are troop choices anyways. All you're getting there by sacrificing the archon's movement in and out of the unit is an extra splinter cannon - not that great a deal really.

So would it be better to say put in a unit of 5 incubi with him? If so what weapons would you give them?

I will put up a revised list when I have all the points worked out.

-crazyhorse
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

If you think you need a retinue of incubi to get through power armour and the like, then sure, go for it. I find it tends to be a bit of overkill, myself. A unit of 5 incubi and an archon will chew up pretty much anything in the game fairly effectively. What I'd try first is simply attaching the archon to a raid squad instead. Then he gets pretty much the same protection and a lot more movement potential because he doesn't have to remain with the unit. If you do go with the incubi retinue, I find 4 incubi is more than enough and when you have a couple warriors with splinter cannons also in the unit.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Taking all of the advice I have made some changes:

Archon
Agoniser
Splinter pistol
Combat drugs
Shadow field
Terrorfex
4 incubi
Shredders x2
2 Warrior
Splinter cannon x2
Raider
Slave snares
Night shield

Troops
Raider squad
Raider
10 warriors
Splinter cannon
Slave snares
Night shield
Shredder
Blaster

Raider squad
Raider
10 warriors
Splinter cannon
Slave snares
Night shield
Shredder
Blaster

Elite
5 mandrakes

9 wyches
Succubus
Wych weapons x10
Agoniser
Splinter pistol
Raider
Slave snares
Night shield
Shredder
Blaster

Beast master
5 warp beasts

Fast attack

Reavers x5
Succubus
Agoniser
Power weapon
Tormentor helm

Reavers x 4
Blasters x4

Hellions x5

Heavy support

Ravager
3 disintegrators
Night shield

Ravager
3 disintegrator
Night shield

5 scourges
4 splinter cannons

I look forward to your thoughts on the changes. Thank you for all your help.

-crazyhorse
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Looks good. A couple of notes though. I'm not sure you want to give the incubi any special weapons since they won't be able to use their punishers that way (as they are two handed weapons - and so are the special weapons). Instead of a terrorfex on the archon (although also cool) the best place to have them is on the raiders (where they are called horrofexes). If the rumours about not needing to roll to hit with blast weapons are true for 5th ed, I'll be bringing out a lot more of those things. ;) Raider squads also have to choose between a blaster and a shredder, so you can't have both (unlike a warrior squad). Also, only two jetbikes in the squad can be upgraded with special weapons (although the succubus in that squad is worth 2 jetbikes, so if you wanted to, you could create two squads and keep all 4 special weapons).
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

I can't belive I overlooked some of those rules. Thank you for pointing them out. Well here we go again...

Archon
Agoniser
Splinter pistol
Combat drugs
Shadow field
Terrorfex
4 incubi
Warrior x2
Splinter cannon x2
Raider
Slave snares
Night shield
Horrorfex

Troops
Raider squad
Raider
10 warriors
Splinter cannon
Slave snares
Night shield
Horrorfex
Shredder

Raider squad
Raider
10 warriors
Splinter cannon
Slave snares
Night shield
Horrorfex
Blaster

Elite
5 mandrakes

9 wyches
Succubus
Wych weapons
Agoniser
Splinter pistol
Raider
Slave snares
Night shield
Horrorfex
Shredder

Beast master
5 warp beasts

Fast attack

Reavers x5
Succubus
Agoniser
Power weapon
Tormentor helm

Reavers x 4
Blasters x2

Hellions x6

Heavy support

Ravager
3 disintegrators
Night shield

Ravager
3 disintegrator
Night shield

5 scourges
4 dark lances

Thank you for all your help,

-crazyhorse
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I can't belive I overlooked some of those rules. Thank you for pointing them out. Well here we go again...

I wouldn't worry about it. That book is now at least 2 editions old, so its a little out of date to say the least and the layout is pretty horrible. ;)

The list looks very nice. :)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?