Tyranids at a tournament (400pts)

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Lodark
Cold One Knight

Tyranids at a tournament (400pts)

Post by Lodark »

Right, my first ever tournament, and, slightly worryingly, my first ever proper match with my Tyranids, and even MORE worryingly, my first ever proper 40K match. :lol:

We'll be using the Combat Patrol rules, but whether all your models need to be painted is a bit of a grey area.

My list:

3 Warriors, one with rending claws, two with scything talons, one with barbed Strangler, 2 with Deathspitters.

The rest of the list is open to negtiations (because I haven't made the figures yet :lol:). I have the Battalion Box but that's it. I'm mainly doing this for the experience and because I was dragged into it by my mates. Any help in putting a list together will be greatly appreciated.

No comments about leaving this too late. Where would be the fun in having it all planned and ready months ago?
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Well, simply put:

be fast and furious and you are victorious.

I can't recall how many Warriors there are in the Battalion box but take them all regardless. Then add some Hormagaunts with WS5 and that's all you need.

Shooting<Close Combat, remember that ;) You can only shoot once a turn but strike twice
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

Ty for the advice. My general tactic is going to be to support my hoormagaunts/ gaunts (cannon fodder)/ Genestealers with my blast weapon warriors until they get into CC, and then bring in my warriors behind them, leaving them out of combat as long as I can (I need the synapse).
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

If I were you, I'd just give the Warriors wings and lead the Gaunts from the front, so to say ;)

CC Warriors are cheaper and more effective (especially in lowpoints games) than shooty ones. I'd just go for them. Or leaping Warriors if you can't bother converting Wings on your babes.

Some Spinegaunts are always nice to have for fodder but not so sure about 'Stealers in this small game.. At least keep them small!
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream