Giving Khorne Another Go...

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Kfpm
Executioner

Giving Khorne Another Go...

Post by Kfpm »

Thinking of taking up 40k again with the new edition coming out, I was tempted to do an all Termie army but I guess the new codex will stop that. Instead here's something I put together:

Chaos 2000pts (where I refer to Icons I mean the Icon of Khorne

Lord with MoK, Terminator amour and Lightning Claws,
4 Terminators with Icon, 3 Chain fists and a power fist.
10 Marines with Icon, 2 plasma guns and champ with PW.
8 Zerkers, 2 plasma pistols and a champ with PF.
2 x 8 Raptors, each with Icon, 2 plasma guns and a champ with PF.
8 Bikers, 2 plasma guns, icon and champ with PF.
Land raider with Extra Amour and Havoc Launcher.

47 models, 1 tank, 10 plasma weapons, 8 power fists (Not intentional) and a Bucket of CC attacks.

The basic plan will be to split the army in to two "waves", the first wave consisting of the Bikers and the Raptors, who will engage whatever I deem to be the biggest immediate threats. The second wave of the Land-raider mounted termies, marines and 'Zerkers will follow up and smash down the rest of the opposing force, whereby hopefully the now free raptors and bikers can go claim objectives or table quarters. Anyhow, give the list a good judging and I’ll gladly take on board any ideas for improvements.

Thankies,
KFPM
Of course in this place every exit is also an entrance! Giggity gig gig ga-goo!
Alkkrision
Daemon Prince

Post by Alkkrision »

New codex doesn't stop an all Termie army... well, not really, 10 Marines is nothing :P.

Anyway, with the new edition, you'll benefit from some added speed from your guys on foot. But some of the rumours I've heard you may want to consider dropping a unit of Raptors for another unit of Berserkers. Other than that the list does look rather vicious. Also possibly consider a rhino or two. Berserkers get shot up enough at the best of times, and with the Land Raider in the list, you've got adequate mobile cover for the Rhinos.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Yes, with the new edition Land Raiders will be nigh unstoppable as S8 weapons other than meltas can't destroy them and they will be very powerful at ramming.

I agree, Rhinos for the Infantry.

Also, thats a very big bike unit :shock:
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

you have a khorne lord, but no daemon weapon!!!!
are you crazy? the lightning claws just dont cut the mustard.
plus 3 chainfists and a power fist? just 2 chainfists is fine, give the other lightning claws and then the other a heavy flamer and normal power weapon.
also too many bikers and too many raptors, take them down, boost the zerkers and some rhinos, jobs a good 'un.
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
Kfpm
Executioner

Post by Kfpm »

Right, here’s a new list, taking on board most of the suggestions:

Lord with MoK, terminator and Daemon weap - Standard as kicker, worried about his risk factor though.

4 Terminators, each has a single LC and a combi plasma, and there is one champ, IoK - Standard infantry lawnmower, goes in the Land Raider and has a limited flexibility.

10 Marines, 2 plasma, IoK, champ with power weapon, rhino - Bodies on the ground, can claim objectives or douse stuff with shots.

2x8 Zerkers, each with 2 plasma, rhino, and a champ with fist - What can I say, hard ass combat lunatics.

8 Raptors with a flamer, melta, IoK, champ with fist - Can clear out buildings and take out a tank or two with high mobility.

5 Bikers, with 2 plasma, IoK and champ with fist - Fills mainly the same role as the raptors, striking at isolated/valuable targets.

Land Raider, with havoc launcher - Hopefully draw fire from my other units, whilst at the same time sending some gift wrapped terminators into the centre of the enemy.

All in all I have 64 points left! ^^ More suggestions will be met with cookies.

Thankies, KFPM.
Of course in this place every exit is also an entrance! Giggity gig gig ga-goo!
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

well the raptors (if they are building clearers) need a flamer extra not melta gun!!
and also the terminators could do with a heavy flamer instead of one combi, but i love the lightning claws thing goin on with them.
maybe this will free up the points needed for 2 spawn, or some cheesy lesser daemons. maybe killing of a raptor could free a greater daemon
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Id spend the extra 64 points on 2 more raptors, an extra flamer in the raptor squad, and an extra biker.

Either that or you could buy 3 more zerkers.

What is IoK btw?? Its probably just a mental blank but I cant figure out what it means lol :?
Dralek
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dralek »

What is IoK btw?? Its probably just a mental blank but I cant figure out what it means lol :?

iok means icon of khorne unless im mistaken
cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Dralek: IoK does mean Icon of Khorne, but after almost two months your post well and truly counts as threadomancy. Don't do that anymore, okay?

If you truly want this list to slay, drop the Bikers. They're overpriced and underpowered with only 1 attack base.

And let me know your findings. I play a Slaaneshi theme, but any tips are good.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Well, let's take a look at this list...

KFPM wrote:Lord with MoK, terminator and Daemon weap - Standard as kicker, worried about his risk factor though.

This is a really good model. Risky, but if it hits it hits hard. Blood for the blood god!

KFPM wrote:4 Terminators, each has a single LC and a combi plasma, and there is one champ, IoK - Standard infantry lawnmower, goes in the Land Raider and has a limited flexibility.

Why single lighting claws? You need the extra attack. Get two of these guys with claws, and the other two with chain/power fists. Do you really think you will be using the plasma shots if you can smash them up in combat aswel?

KFPM wrote:10 Marines, 2 plasma, IoK, champ with power weapon, rhino - Bodies on the ground, can claim objectives or douse stuff with shots.

Great unit. Get extra armor and perhaps a dozer on the rhino to make it more reliable. After dropping the troops you can use the rhino as a movable wall/ LoS blocker.

KFPM wrote:2x8 Zerkers, each with 2 plasma, rhino, and a champ with fist - What can I say, hard ass combat lunatics.

Fluffy unit, with 8 being the number of khorne. GHet these guys some wheels though, they need it more than the unit above.

KFPM wrote:8 Raptors with a flamer, melta, IoK, champ with fist - Can clear out buildings and take out a tank or two with high mobility.

I field the exact same unit. No comment on this one, works really well!

KFPM wrote:5 Bikers, with 2 plasma, IoK and champ with fist - Fills mainly the same role as the raptors, striking at isolated/valuable targets.

I've never played with bikers since my Eldar army. Use your turbo boost wisely. And dont forget your relentless special rule!

KFPM wrote:Land Raider, with havoc launcher - Hopefully draw fire from my other units, whilst at the same time sending some gift wrapped terminators into the centre of the enemy.

Extra armor and a dozer! You really need to keep this machine going. It would be a shame to immobilise it on the first building you see. (1/6 chance to immobilise goes to 1/36 chance).

KFPM wrote:All in all I have 64 points left! ^^ More suggestions will be met with cookies.

Oh that's great! I like cookies :D