Dark Eldar getting redone?

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Dark Eldar getting redone?

Post by Kefka »

Along with the many rumors of our DE getting a new book, it is also rumored that our 40K brethern will be getting an update as well. Shortly it's rumored that after the Ruinous Powers book, the next 40k army will be Dark Eldar. Although I've only heard people whisper this at my hobby shop.
I think the Dark Eldar BADLY need to get redone, not that their list is horrible, it's just that there are few ways to play them well, (I just keep seeing the same strategy over and over at tournaments) and their book still says 2nd edition on it.

Also, I just think it would be cool for my two DE armies to get redone in the same year. YEAR OF DARKNESS!!!

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Darthken
Assassin
Location: Australia, the place where kangaroo's hop down the street with a can of fosters in their pouch

Post by Darthken »

yes from what ive been able to determine our new DE book will be out before the end of the year.
you don't know the power of the darkside
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

There has been talk of the end of 2008 or early 2009. There are however few solid rumours.
The only things I´ve heard is that codex will stay very much the same style as they are, which is very good IMO.
Also, 100% new models are in the making. This is rumours of course and quite loose at that but that is whats been said.

Cheers
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

I think its pretty sure that they will get one. Its rumoured to happen, and, after 10years, they need it.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

I've alos heard two different model rumors, both "All models" and "no models" getting redon.

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

bikeninja wrote:I've alos heard two different model rumors, both "All models" and "no models" getting redon.

If no models are getting done, the codex isn't getting done ;).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

There is little in the way of solid rumour for Dark Eldar right now but from what I have heard they will get a codex update by the end of the year, but becuase the entire range needs to be redone essentially, that models will not all be done with the codex.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

What is it excactly? something like 10,000 man hours to sculpt, mold and copy a model onto sprues? something rediculus like that. So if a lot of Dark Eldar models were getting redone than it might be hard to keep all that work secret, but maybe they just haven't started yet...

Akimoto
Noble

Post by Akimoto »

Up at my local games workshop it was mentioned that it may be released as a white dwarf update, like the dark angels rules. thought i'd add that one, doesn't really effect me, im just normal eldar
Yori Temel -- group 22

WS5 / S4 / T5 / D4 / I4

Equipment - Repeater crossbow, double-bladed spear, Light Armour, Heavy armour, helm, spiky vambraces, (stored: Zukhil sword, Shield)
Skills - Awareness, basic heal
Other: 1831gc, The Dragons Eye Amulet, Talisman of light, Healing Talisman, 15x healing balms, boots, gloves, woolen cloak, hatchet, backpack, rope, a Flint and Tinder, bedroll.
Harabec

Post by Harabec »

So if a lot of Dark Eldar models were getting redone than it might be hard to keep all that work secret, but maybe they just haven't started yet...

If they do plan on working on them this year or the start of next they likely haven't made much past the early draft idea yet so don't worry.

Up at my local games workshop it was mentioned that it may be released as a white dwarf update, like the dark angels rules

I think you mean Blood Angels, but yes I have heard a similiar idea floating around. This was tied in as it would be a list update rather then a full redo to tide over DE till they received a full update when models were completed.

With so many releases between fantasy and 40K this past year and pending this year as well, rumours for more recent items is being hyped more.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Re: Dark Eldar getting redone?

Post by Arquinsiel »

bikeninja wrote:(I just keep seeing the same strategy over and over at tournaments) and their book still says 2nd edition on it.
It's the second version of the third edition codex. To all intents and purposes they didn't exist in second edition.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

new DE figures!!!!

scroll down a little

http://www.laposadadelfriki.com/

looking good to me :P
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Well that's all chaos stuff... wait! Homonculus! There is still hope!

Ulric darksoul
Assassin

Post by Ulric darksoul »

I'm very sorry to say, but those haemonculus where in the "unreleased" section, with an eldar vident and a space marine captain...

that at least is what is said over the warseer forum (i'm not in spain, so i didn't went to the GD)
"If you're going to leave anyone alive, enslave it!"

RP: Group 27
Ulric Darksoul
WS:5 S:4 T:3 D:5 I:3
Equipment:
- Short sword, dagger, bastard sword 5 throwing stars and Ritual Dagger.
- Sea Dragon Cloak (dark green with dark blue scales)
- 1 healing balm (H) 4 healing balms
120g+12g

Skills: Controlled frenzy, two-weapons fighting
Harabec

Post by Harabec »

From the small shot there they still look like pretty good models. It wold be a shame to scrap them unless they are designing something better.
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

damm thats a shame! anyways heres a better photo, and go through the album for lots of other great stuff fantasy and 40k

http://picasaweb.google.com/kakalakambeki/GamesDaySpain2008/photo#5168709828134586130
Mal3factor
Slave (off the Altar)
Location: That there dark cave *points*, but on weekends you can find me at outpost #31

Post by Mal3factor »

Hopefully DE wont go the same way as the squat through lack of support and interest...but those haemonculi give me hope that one day we will enslave the galaxy and look good whilst doing so....
"Im not evil, just morally challenged"

"I Win Button - 100 points, Highborns only" ~ hyetemplar
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

well GW said that they would never cut a race again. after squats and (almost) chaos dwarfs there were too many complaints. And after DoW soulstorm, their popularity might pick up. But it is official, all DE stuff is bitz order only...

Swab
Cold One Knight

Post by Swab »

The DE should be getting redone by at least the end of next year. I do not believe they should be redone too badly. Their current list is, to be completely honest, amazing. If you put the right army together, it is near unbeatable. Sure they don't have much in options, but so what? They have all the units they need. The few things that should be redone are grotesques, scourges and warriors in a raider (should be able to take a pistol and a hand weapon instead of just splinter rifles). There are a few others but that is the main thing. They are simply an amazing army and require extreme skill to play effectively.

I was thinking about restarting them when they do the new book, but they may trash them.

Oh, and there should be at least a few new models. There are new pics of haemonculi on other websites. Although they look almost the same.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Huh... what's that... an eldar cross-bred with a necron?
NO! It's new Dark Eldar Art!
okay, that's it, that's all we get for 10 years...

Mal3factor
Slave (off the Altar)
Location: That there dark cave *points*, but on weekends you can find me at outpost #31

Post by Mal3factor »

@ Swab: The dark eldar rules are ok, other than a lack of infiltrating troops and the likes, its the models that need redoing, they re not exactly the best looking ones (which is ironic given the generic quote from the army book about how a dark eldar army is amazing to look at on and off shelf, its in every army book that quote!)

@bikeninja: Maybe the new rulebook will contain model images as teasers to get our hopes up....
"Im not evil, just morally challenged"

"I Win Button - 100 points, Highborns only" ~ hyetemplar
Darthken
Assassin
Location: Australia, the place where kangaroo's hop down the street with a can of fosters in their pouch

Post by Darthken »

yes it's only been about a decade or so since the last DE codex. (im not including that pathetic 2nd edition attempt with nothing extra in it but vehicle upgrades)

but on the plus side its due out just after the release of the lastest 40k rule book so maybe that'll help.
you don't know the power of the darkside
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Actually 2nd edition made Dark Eldar a viable close combat army with the wych upgrade... previously they were bound to their boats... and doomed to fall under bolter fire.
Yes, Dark Eldar badly need an upgrade since as it is there's only one way for them to win... no versatility whatsoever.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

So after reading all of these posts we know that DE should be redone, that there is a chance that GW is looking into redoing them and that the army still has a following.

So we can conclude the following: GW will most likely do one of two things, change the army into a completely different army with the number of changes they make to the rules and units or do nothing ;). However I hope these rumors turn out to be true, I love the Dark Eldar army. Also, at my game store there are alot of people who have dark eldar or at least want to see them be brought up to date. So I do have personal reasons to belive that they have enough support.

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I have many personal confirmations from reliable sources that Dark Eldar will be redone.
No one was able (no that they weren't allowed, they just didn't know for sure) to tell me when will that happen.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16