new dark eldar art!

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Vallorn deathblade
Noble

new dark eldar art!

Post by Vallorn deathblade »

found this on the GW uk site in the new background for 40k article.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/5th-ed-background/2/the image is at the bottom of the page.

if anyone can post new pics or info on the DE release that would be great. thanks.
Belial. wrote:Fighting Eldacar over fluff is like fighting Socrates over philosophy...

Alkkrision wrote:-Alkkrision: Druchii.net's own source of bad ideas :).
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

That is DE pic from the new 5th book, every race has a new pic at the start of their fluff section
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Yeah i saw that picture in ukWD343 i beleive - its pretty neat, makes me want to play dark eldar not eldar when i restart 40k eventually.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

It's also been in one of recent white dwarfs. Last month? month before that? can't remember.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Elipsis
Dark Rider

Post by Elipsis »

I think it's good if they tune down the spikes,
while a couple of spikes and rigged army looks evil, too many just end up making them look to try-hard
Jrg
Executioner

Post by Jrg »

Yer it has been rumored for a while now that they are going to lease a whole new model range for the dark eldar. so they can finally get their rights back lol
Somwhere out there is Inquisitor Horatio Caine investigating cults of slaanesh
Caine looks around seeing bits of cultists on the ground
Inq Caine: Well it looks like these cultists
*puts on glasses*
Inq Caine: Have gone to pieces
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I like that DE got a new pic, but it looks like an Eldar/Necron hybrid to me, but I shouldn't complain, it's all we've got other than new box art in 10 years.
And yes, there are many rumors about them finally getting redone. I guess 3 editions is just too musch for GW not to redo them.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

<joins the crowd>
Bring Back The Squats!
Bring Back The Squats!
Bring Back The Squats!
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

From the 5th ed. book

The Port of Lost Souls, Gateway to Commoragh

A new looking raider...

Sorry for the bad quality, I don't have a scanner to upload these.
I find it interesting that they gave DE a pic of their homeworld, I think it could mean good things to come, most other armies only have a picture of their codex cover...

As for the raider, it looks very different. It's splinter cannon looks like it's on a mount like the eldar turret looking guns (star cannons?) and it has more spikey goodness coming off of it.
I'm guessing a new book is around the corner...

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

Here's hoping.
People say I'm cocky, I say it's because they know I'm the best.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:Ok, I agree with Lord_Jimmy here.
Elven prince
Dark Rider

Post by Elven prince »

Clearer picture

I find it interesting that they gave DE a pic of their homeworld, I think it could mean good things to come, most other armies only have a picture of their codex cover...

If you are referring to Commoragh than you are wrong; it's not their home-world, their home world was lost during the Fall.

Beware the Beast of Pirates Bay!
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

@ Elven Prince:
Thanks for putting up better pictures.
Sorry, I know Commoragh isn't their homeworld, I was a little tired last night when I wrote that.
Speaking of which, is there any fluff (I doubt it) on what world the Eldar did originate from? I would love to see or hear pre-space travel stuff about them. But I doubt it exists.

Elven prince
Dark Rider

Post by Elven prince »

Speaking of which, is there any fluff (I doubt it) on what world the Eldar did originate from?

Very little, there's the torturer's tale, codex: Eldar (it had three moons: Lileath the Maiden Moon, Kurnous the Hunter's Moon and Eldaneesh the Red Moon) and perhaps few mentions in Battlefield Gothic and Epic.

Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

@ Elven prince - It's their home now so bikeninjas comment was fine. You knew what he meant. It's not a competition.

It's a long time coming all of this Dark Eldar stuff, I used to play them years ago, still have my army but its looking very old now compared to the new models and artwork etc. It is a nice step in the right direction. I hope they do them justice in the update.
People say I'm cocky, I say it's because they know I'm the best.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:Ok, I agree with Lord_Jimmy here.
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Oh maybe I should give up on the CSM army I will soon start and pick up Dark eldar? Or do both? Ah well the Dark's are having a good year.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

If i come into 40k again this is the army i will be choosing to play, if they get a new range that is. The peice showing Commoragh is great a real good peice of artwork there.

and whoever it was that said the dark eldar looked like a necron/eldar hybrid, my thoughts exactly.
Elven prince
Dark Rider

Post by Elven prince »

It's their home now so bikeninjas comment was fine. You knew what he meant.

No I didn't.

From Warseer;

Amaya
Warrior

Post by Amaya »

Rumour from Warhammer World is that codex and model range are in development, set for an early 2009 release. Not sure if this will be before or after Imperial Guard, who are also set for an early 2009 release. However, it's been said that there are already some developments on the codex (Lots of new concept art, plus the front cover lurking around) and a couple of new model concepts also.

It appears that they have improved the design quaility, as the old models are a pain in the ass sometimes to paint effectivly. This is mainly due to the amount of different surfaces, with a basic dark eldar warrior having 3 to 4 different layers of armour/clothing, which makes it hard to make them look "right" when constructing an army. Also, if you want to keep your army fluffy, then you need 3 colour schemes, one for each of the fluff components.

Here's hoping that the new armour conveys an improved armour save, and that the new raider designs come with an improved value also.

Mandrakes are said to be becoming the top-dog, and the new fluff is certainly pointing that way.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

hmm, I never used mandrakes before, they just didn't appeal to me (and I hated the models). We're they good?
I've repainted my Dark Eldar 3 times now, looking back and thinking "wow I sucked at painting, lets try this again" but recently I realized that the models are just really tough to make look good. Maybe the fourth time I'll get it right...

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

bikeninja wrote:hmm, I never used mandrakes before, they just didn't appeal to me (and I hated the models). We're they good?
I've repainted my Dark Eldar 3 times now, looking back and thinking "wow I sucked at painting, lets try this again" but recently I realized that the models are just really tough to make look good. Maybe the fourth time I'll get it right...

Yep, they are ugly figures, I'm currently looking at plastic corsairs and WE as the basis for a a tarted up DE army as the current rules are still very competitive.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Rhakinlanthari
Executioner

Post by Rhakinlanthari »

Been ages since I played 40k. But I might have to get back into it if a new Codex Dark Eldar comes out.

As for the mandrake question - what I remember of them - their hidden deployment rocked. You put 3 markers on the table deployed in your deployment zone, and could move them 6 inches each turn for turns 1-3. At any point you could reveal them, but you had to on turn 3, and place the whole squad near one of the markers and they could act as normal after that.

The best bit about mandrake hidden deployment was you didn't have to decide which marker to use in advance, you could choose where they appeared depending on how the battle was going.

In combat mandrakes were only good at killing lightly armoured T3 units. Pretty expensive in points too.
Click this. You know you want to...