1k eldar

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

1k eldar

Post by Mr_piechee »

Farseer, Spirit Stones, Doom, Mind War
Karandras
Rangers *10
Guardian Jetbike Squadron *3, Shuriken cannon
War Walker, Bright Lance, Eldar missile launcher
Striking Scorpions *6, Exarch, Scorpions Claw
Howling Banshees *6, Exarch, Executioner
Fire Dragons 5, Exarch, Crack shot, Dragons Breath

994 pts - 29 foot troops, 1 walker, 3 bikes.

Started playing 40k again recently (havn't played much since 3rd ed, but have the new book).

The plan is infiltrate with Karandras and SS to get a little closer and cause some early havoc. the jetbikes can then get up close and support them, acting as cannon fodder if needed.
The Banshees and dragons move as one with the farseer in the banshees. rangers and warwalker pick off problems. the warwalker is there to take out tanks and the rangers to have a go at low armour vehicles and troops. with the way snipers now work there's two chances of getting a good AP. 10 of them means there's a fair chance of doing some damage to armour 10, but there mainly there to quickly deal with troops causing problems. if the dragons aren't in range then they can have a go at small units of high armour troops.

Being able to run in 5th ed hopefully means i shouldn't have to worry too much about getting gunned down, but the biggest problem is the small numbers for my units. with enough terrain i should be fine, but I'm not going to fair well against a gun line.

There's no transport in the list because i'm not going to be buying anything new, and i don't have one. i do have a falcon, but rarely use it.

What do you think?
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Heya, I spotted thy list and feel I owe you a comment or two :)

Not having transports was the first thing that I noticed. The short range of your anti-tank power (Dragons ;)) means that mounting them on a Brightlance Wave Serpent would be a great boon for your other foot sloggers. On the other hand I got to understand your policy of not buying anything new anytime soon.. And since Falcons got so fair share of nerf with the new rulebook I understand why you don't want to use it.

Speaking of nerf, I don't have my rulebook with me but can the War Walker shoot with both of his guns? Because moving vehicles can only shoot 1 gun plus all defensive ones... And the new rules state that only S4 or less are defensive!

Oh, and please tell me those Rangers are in two separate squads :D

Now that you no longer get bonus power fist attacks from extra cc weapons, I gave my SS Exarch Chainsabres instead and because you have that Karandras in there, already swinging the Claw, I don't think you need anymore of them, instead, more attacks is more dead mon-keigh at less points ;)

I think its a nice list and well balanced - albeit a littel CC orientated. Let me know how it fares!
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

well i had a nice spread sheet to work all the point on for me but my laptop died, so i'll have to work it out again :(

Anyway bk to the point: Chainsabers it is. walkers can fire all weapons, or run. Do you not think the walker provides enough tank support untill the dragons get there? there aren't many of them i know, but they only need two turns to get in range of likely targets (12" range, 12" move over two turns with 1 or more runs. then the opponent is likely to have moved some targets)

the rangers I was going to field in one unit, but it makes no difference either way. being able to hit two targets has advantages

I like my CC armies, makes things more interesting. Since I'm a fantasy guy I've only every played pitched battles in 40k, but next week I'll play a few different scenarios and see how the list fairs.

This gives me 16 pts left over, so it looks like one more dragon is the best option.

I'll write a short summary of how the army performs after i play next week, and then i might think about a falcon to transport some dragons, or maybe banshees.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

walkers can fire all weapons, or run.
My bad, hope I didn't scare you :) Brightlance and ML are IMO quite enough in 1k games where AV12 is practically the highest you'll see (okay, occasional AV13 might show up but you can just sneak your shot into side armour). Which brings up a point: wouldn't two Missile Launchers be better? Since you rarely face anything the lance excels against, two missiles are just as good. And you'd have the choice of two AP4 blasts with pinning!

the rangers I was going to field in one unit, but it makes no difference either way. being able to hit two targets has advantages
That, and having the possibilty to take two objectives instead of one with your Rangers. Also, hiding two smaller units is easier than one and you wont have one big chunk of VP's sitting in one place.

Yeah, I agree on the CC part. It makes things more interesting and because CC is so decisive and Scorpions and Banshees so badass, you'lll be fine ;) I would also use the 16 left over points to get a Dragon. Its nice to have some extra bodies in there and it looks like you have the model already...

Looking forward to the reports and hope I helped!
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

hadn't thought of the missile launchers... does that mean they work like barrages? that would be very nice indeed! and it gives me another 10 pts. it would give me problems if i met a armour 14 vehicle though!

well that seems all good now, and the first game has been moved to fri, so with a bit of luck I'll have a report over the week end...
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

You place the blast marker on any model that is a legal target. It then scatter 2D6 minus the BS of the shooter. After the shot is worked out, your shoot the next Launcher. And yes, if you roll a hit with the scatter die, it wont scatter at all.

it would give me problems if i met a armour 14 vehicle though!
Indeed :) I guess its up to the Dragons to deal with those then..

It just dawned on me that I'll be offline for the two weeks after this friday.. I'll visit London and Paris and I wont be able to get online but still, I'm waiting for your updates when I get back!

Good luck on the game and bring glory to your Craftworld, whichever it is... :)
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

well, thanks for your help. i'll have a post or two waiting for you when you get bk.

With the remaining 10 pts I've added stalker so the SS can move through cover with karandras, and acrobatic to make the banshees a little more potent!
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

played the game. my opponent had chaos space marines, and fielded a unit of 4 terminators with his lord, two units of 8 plague marines and a unit of 12 space marines. he's a very inexperienced and is still getting used the the game and army.

anyway, i hadn't finished my fire dragons so subbed in a unit of dark reapers (3 with and exarch wielding a cannon fell 1 point short of the dragons, leaving me at 999 pts)

Anyway we played the capture objectives mission, with the first deployment thing (12" away from half way line).

Terrain was a bit weird. there was an oil rid on one side and a bunker on the other, but the bunker needed up with a jungle right in front of it making it useless. there were also some other jungles scattered about.

chaos deployed with the marines on the rig, and the two plague units either side with jungle protecting there flanks. the terminators stayed behind to deepstrike. i deployed with the walker, reapers and banshees one side of the large jungle (in front of the bunker) and the jet bikes the other. the two ranger units were either side of the large jungle shooting out the edges (placed about 8" closer due to infiltrate), and the Scorpions were 18" away from the right most plagues.

one objective was right in front of my walker and another in front of the right rangers. the final one was just outside chaos deployment.

my walker faired well, with blasts taking down a far few plague marines, but I'm pretty sure it didn't get its points back. however with a lucky krak role i managed to take a terminator down later in the game. the banshees never did anything, the terminators deep striked right behind them ans shot them to bits, just as the plague marines got in range and shot them as well.

the terminators got doomed next turn and took 3 wounds from the reapers and krak missiles. the lord then took a wound from doom as well.

on the other side the plague marines took a volley of shuriken from the jetbikes before being minced over two turns by the SS.

the space marines on the oil rid were mostly shielded from view and were pretty much out of the game. however the heavy bolter was in view of pretty much everything and the managed to get there points back even though half the unit never saw my troops. i lost a unit of rangers early onto them from some bad cover rolls and some lucky shooting, and later they took out the jetbikes.

the farseer soon fell when both the terminators and the plague marines assaulted in the same turn. some how he(?) managed to survive the terminators but not the plague marines. this meant the war walker got another round of shooting in and the chance to make a dash for it. this also gave me the chance to run the SS over and give some help.

it all ended with the last unit of plagues assaulting the war walker only to lose a guy and inflict no damage at all. and the SS to lose combat against the terminators and then rally and finally get another shot, finishing off the remaining terminator.

on turn 6 my rangers moved 5" out of the jungle to capture the objective, one was left lonely and the other my walker contested.

A good game, but took a bit too long, and a few mistakes from not know the rules. hopefully I can train up my opponent to become a bit of a challenge, although having said that i think he won on victory points.

As for the rangers, 2 squads of 5 helped allot cause it mean I could potentially go for the two objective near the jungle. the jetbikes did there job well, and took the shoots for two rounds which might have other wise headed in the SS's direction, and they got a few kills in the process. Banshees did nothing, Dark reapers didn't make there points back, but i think dragons would have done so much better, being able to take out those terminators nice and quickly. walker took allot of fire, but i think a more experienced player would have taken something to deal with him.

i had some rubbish save throws through out the game but in the last turn my opponent had rubbish saves everywhere, with. i would guess, and average dice roll of two!
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Try putting a EML into the guardian squad, and field the warwalker with twin scatter lasers. 8 S6 shots is pretty heavy for only 60 points!
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Sarcon is right. Your single-shot weapons should be on BS4 models with some durability so as to warrant their high cost.

Other than that, I like it. You might want to consider a second Jetbike squad as you expand to 1250 or 1500, I find them a staple now that only troops can score.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Damnation wrote:Sarcon is right. Your single-shot weapons should be on BS4 models with some durability so as to warrant their high cost.

Actualy it's more like putting your anti tank in a safer place. If you field a warwalker with a bright lance and an EML, it will be gone at turn #1 or #2. It's a nifty little tank, but it has the armour value of a cardboard box.

Twin scatter lasers is great against all infantry (due to the S6, you'll usualy wound on 2s) and great for taking out rhinos and other light vehicles.

What I would concider is taking a fire prism with holofields, vectored engines and spirit stones. This tank is almost unkillable in the current edition

What I personally would do aswel is drop Karandras, and buy more troop choices, buy all the exarch skills on the scorpions and perhaps one or two on the banshees

And oh,

Mr_PieChee wrote:Fire Dragons 5, Exarch, Crack shot, Dragons Breath

Hahahaha, are you serious? You buy an Exarch power that ignores coversaves for a FLAMER? Read the rules in your 40k rulebook for flamers. The firepike + tankhunters/crackshot is a lot better IMO.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

And oh,
Mr_PieChee wrote:Fire Dragons 5, Exarch, Crack shot, Dragons Breath

Hahahaha, are you serious? You buy an Exarch power that ignores coversaves for a FLAMER? Read the rules in your 40k rulebook for flamers. The firepike + tankhunters/crackshot is a lot better IMO.
Yeah I think he just might be serious. We've discussed that first in the thread about my Eldar and then in the one about Mr_Piechee's. Why would you turn the option down like that, without even thinking about it? Read the Codex, Crack Shot has effects in addition to negating cover.

Mr_Piechee, congratulations on the victory, it is always nice to see Chaos getting their asses wooped a bit :) Sounds like a nice game, can't think of anything to fix in your tactics..

In a gaming group which allows special characters, I think this is a good list and I can see it faring well against almost any opponent!
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

i'm not sure about the walker... the two ML worked well, although i can see the apeal of 8 S6 shots! The reapers worked really well, there ability to punish SMs is awesome... however, more dragons with the ability to take out tanks as well I'm sure will work well.

we played another game recently, which scored a tactical draw, due to the lack of surviving troop choices anywhere near objectives.

I'll try and game another game or two in over the next week, and try out the scatter lasers.