'Nids and 5th edition

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Lodark
Cold One Knight

'Nids and 5th edition

Post by Lodark »

Yes, I am making an appearance on the 40K scene with my recently started, partly assembled and quickly painted 'nids.

I don't yet own the new rulebook but I did manage to get a basic grasp of the rules that change and a pretty good grasp on last edition's general rules, so I want to expand my knwledge by learning what some of the rules I don't know that affect my army do. It seems that I won't be getting the rulebook for a while as I'm skint. :cry:

3.I read somewhere on Warpshadow about Carnifex's with two sets of crushing claws. Is this possible? I know that it never used to be but quite a few people over there seem to be gleefully saying it is and I can't directly interrogate them until they finally activate my account.

Umm, I think that's it for now. I'm looking forward to creating a Winged Hive Tyrant and deepstriking it. :twisted:

Rork edit: Don't ask for rules! How difficult a request is that?
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Moved to the right forum.
Elipsis
Dark Rider

Post by Elipsis »

Umm, I think that's it for now. I'm looking forward to creating a Winged Hive Tyrant and deepstriking it. Twisted Evil

sorry to burst your bubble as well but a hive tyrant with wings can't deep strike.
Unless, once again, it has been changed in 5th ed
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

Ty for the rules help, that'll really help me decide on which direction to take my army.

That's what I thought about the crushing claws. I wonder what the heck they were on about...

sorry to burst your bubble as well but a hive tyrant with wings can't deep strike.

The rules have changed on that one. Winged models count as jump infantry and jump infantry can now deepstrike. That means gargoyles, winged rippers, winged warriors and the hive tyrant can now deepstrike. :P :P :P
Alshar Calaelen

Equipment:
Elipsis
Dark Rider

Post by Elipsis »

LoDark wrote:

The rules have changed on that one. Winged models count as jump infantry and jump infantry can now deepstrike. That means gargoyles, winged rippers, winged warriors and the hive tyrant can now deepstrike. :P :P :P

Well that's good now i can finally have the perfect army, winged hive tyrants, winged warriors lictors raveners gargoyles and for troops winged rippers!

However, as you now need troops, and swarms can't hold objectives, that idea won't really work. Probably replace the rippers with hormagaunts, to keep up with the rest
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

You could always just aim to kill everything on the field, which now gives you an automatic victory, but it would be hard.
Alshar Calaelen

Equipment:
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Cool so now my Tzeentch Sorceror Lord with Wings can Deepstrike. I'd be damaging your Fex on Turn one with Bolt of Change haha :D (S8 AP1).

Good luck with the army LoDark, I was about to start a Nids army myself once a Time but moved on to Chaos because of tanks.

The Hive Tyrant is a Community for Nid players (I think).
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

2 problems there. deepstrike only starts in turn two, and his fex will have the same idea... :D
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

Without number is increasingly nasty in 5th edition, unless you're playing victory points or kill points in which case it could easily swing it too much in your opponents favour. But i do find it does give them a dilemma. Kill the big giant army munching monsters lumbering towards them, or take out the small units of gaunts as many times as possible for kill points and to stop them taking objectives.
"Beware the fury of a patient man"

Utharn N'Gal - Disciple of Khaine

Stats: WS - 4 S - 3 I - 5 T - 2 D - 4

Equipment - Short Sword, dagger, small quantity of poison (2 uses), travelling cloak
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Joyfulcheese wrote:Without number is increasingly nasty in 5th edition, unless you're playing victory points or kill points in which case it could easily swing it too much in your opponents favour. But i do find it does give them a dilemma. Kill the big giant army munching monsters lumbering towards them, or take out the small units of gaunts as many times as possible for kill points and to stop them taking objectives.

Yep, 2x8 spine gaunts without number a now a staple in my lists. 64 poitns each time they die and can claim objective.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Well, I've just had my first game of 5th Ed and I love it. It was the most fun I;ve had playing a Warhammer game ever.

Stealers get a 4+ invulnerable versus shooting for most of the game, and infiltrate makes them very interesting for the opponent.

Gaunts without number are a headache for the opposition.

Stupidly large models like my Tryants can see over terrain, shoot stuff and claim a 4+ invulnerasble for being partyly in cover :)

The new, fight at initiative rules, makes stealers with flesh hooks the ultimate weapon versus anybody in cover.

Overall nids are tougher and faster than they were before, while no other army apart from Guard will have gained as much from the new rules.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Nitpicky, but, strictly speaking, cover saves operate slightly different to invulnerable saves. If you start taking hits from Grey Knight Psycanons (AP4, denies invulnerable saves) or something you will see the difference. Likewise, a true invulnerable would be far more favourable if you are up against a cover-denial army (eg Sisters of Battle).

Also, with gaining a lot from fifth edition, I think you are forgetting Orks. They gain a lot from the new rules, which are very much in favour of hoard armies attempting to win assaults in one turn. Orks are pretty fleshy kills if they do not break you on the charge, so other assault oriented armies would beat them. Since they are strong on the charge, the new rules make them even stronger here. Likewise, all the cover saves make up for their main weakness: practically no armour. Flamer-heavy armies are their bane, but the same could be said for hoard Tyranid. They also do not suffer the massive Kill Point handicap that Guard has.