5th ed Monolith's - too much?

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

5th ed Monolith's - too much?

Post by Joyfulcheese »

I've a necron army and haven't yet unleashed them into the world of the 5th ed rules, but as soon as I mention I've 2 monoliths in my 2k list everyone I know seems to whine that they are nigh on impossible to kill due to the fact you don't get any bonuses against its armour and that the new vehicle damage table works even more in its favour.

While I'm not terribly bothered if they are really, really, really hard to kill are they really that bad or just people whining unneccesarily?
"Beware the fury of a patient man"

Utharn N'Gal - Disciple of Khaine

Stats: WS - 4 S - 3 I - 5 T - 2 D - 4

Equipment - Short Sword, dagger, small quantity of poison (2 uses), travelling cloak
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

Well anyone who knows how to deal with necrons will forget all about the 'liths and go straight for all your necrons. With 500 points tied up in your monoliths, you can't have too many warriors (or other necrons) that can survive until phase out.

I admit owning two of the best tanks in the game is a bit much in that small a game, but not when you know how easy it is too kill that list.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

If Necron's weren't so otherwise easy to beat Monoliths would be horrible to face. As it stands I think you're shooting yourself in the foot a bit there. 25% faster in fact.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Obsidianichor
Cold One Knight

Post by Obsidianichor »

I would say 2 in a 2000 point game is not overkill. 2k games aren't exactly small and you do have the drawbacks mentioned above.
-ObsidianIchor

Armies:
Druchii: 4000+
DIY Marines: 4000+
Tyranids: 6000+
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

True, but keeping monoliths within 18 inches of most of the troops does allow the benefit of an extra 'we'll be back' roll :)

Equipment - Short Sword, dagger, small quantity of poison (2 uses), travelling cloak
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

As long as they get one in the first place. It's pretty easy to deny them that, and you can't have a lord with Res Orb in every unit.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Post by The griefbringer »

Arquinsiel wrote:As long as they get one in the first place. It's pretty easy to deny them that, and you can't have a lord with Res Orb in every unit.

No, but he doesn't have to be. He just has to be *close* to every unit.

Denying WBB is a rare occurence for me when facing Necrons. One Monolith, two lords with Res Orbs, and a bunch of warriors just aren't going anywhere fast.

2 Monoliths, though, I think is pushing it. Yes, you get the added benefit of re-rolling WBBs for two squads, but at the cost of a lot of offense. Monoliths are not terribly good at killing things, altogether, and taking too many of them puts your playstyle very much on the defensive/back foot. I don't know about you, but I hate playing a re-active game.
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

I'm also warry of putting too many tanks in any list, because it could just take 1 lucky shot from a good heavy weapon to make my tank useless. I've had a monolith blow up from 1 lasscannon shot and render my whole strategy useless. 2 isn't what I would call cheezy, as ObsidianIcor said, you're really just shooting yourself in the foot. 1 is okay, but 2 is like running into war with two sword but no armour, you're just gonna die faster.

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

Some good points.

Basically my 2k list was (in 4th ed):

2 x Lords
10 x Destroyers
2 x 10 x Warriors
10 Immortals
2 x Monoliths

Still haven't had the chance to field them yet in 5th ed and with the changes to objectives, and troop rules my list will have to be altered considerably i imagine. But I did get a kick out of the effect two monoliths showing up had on my opponent, usually gives me a chance to get my key shooters into better positions.

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

I always used the monolith to pull my troops out of combat and shoot away a the enemy, but it doesn't serve me much use other than that.

Scw
Trainee Warrior

Post by Scw »

You have close to the best troops in the game (plauge marine smihgt be a bit better) you can afford to tale the monoliths without to much worry about phase out. It isnt overly difficult to keep squads near a Lord and a Monolith and if you can utilise cover effectivley from Las squads there isnt to much to worry about unless you fluff your rolls or get over ambitious.
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

bikeninja wrote:I always used the monolith to pull my troops out of combat and shoot away a the enemy, but it doesn't serve me much use other than that.

That tactic has worked a treat with my lord and a unit of immortals. Got charged by a SM assault squad, killed 5 and lost 3. My turn they were pulled away by the Monolith all got back up and vaporised what was left of the unit. It was the scout mission and most of his units were focused on trying to kill my troops who were all within range of hte monolith. Last turn I just teleported most of my troops into his deployment zone and by this stage he had no scoring units and only a scattering of units around.

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Joyfulcheese wrote:Some good points.

Basically my 2k list was (in 4th ed):

2 x Lords
10 x Destroyers
2 x 10 x Warriors
10 Immortals
2 x Monoliths

Still haven't had the chance to field them yet in 5th ed and with the changes to objectives, and troop rules my list will have to be altered considerably i imagine. But I did get a kick out of the effect two monoliths showing up had on my opponent, usually gives me a chance to get my key shooters into better positions.

Very small and very boring to play against.

I just attack your infantry with waek fearless untis, so that you win the combat and pile "out" of range of the orb. The monolith is just an armour 14 tank, so warp blast will usually get it at some point. The lords are pussies in combat and will generally go down easily, if repeatedly, for the one with the orb. With only 2 troop units you won't be winning many games anyway as scoring will be a problem.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

...Id pwn that list so bad. Although I pwn most Necron armies... this would be even worse. No offence but I couldn't see it winning at all. Apart from the favt your phase out happens at, what, 10 or something, you have 2 troops to hold objectives.

And to kill necrons that have res orb/monolith rerolls, get them in combat and run them down. They can't get back up then. They are f'''. Plus theyre low I makes it even easier.

More warriors. Most 1 monolith