Taking 40k seriously

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Do you take the fluff of 40k seriously(as a whole)?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 48

Warpix
Beastmaster

Taking 40k seriously

Post by Warpix »

Don't get me wrong, I like 40k, I love the gaming system, I love how over the top it is, but I just can't take it seriously. At times I've tried to, but that failed when I found out that there's apparently a titan with a demon gun... that shoots out demon princes. Now I know this is an extreme example and may or may not be credible, but the fact that one of the IG tank commanders made by Forgeworld is based off of the character Oddball (tank commander in 'Kelly's Heroes" a WWII comedy) doesn't help.

I can also see taking certain things seriously, like Guants Ghosts, but its still hard to take everything about 40k seriously, I mean, look at the Space Orks. Well, to get to the point, I found that there are those that take the 40k storyline/fluff seriously, so, I want to find out how many people here take it seriously as a whole, mind you that you don't have to take something seriously to like it.
Drak'Ne
W6/S3/T3/D5/I3
Equipment: Short and Long Sword, 2xDagger, 20G, Cloak, Pendant
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy, Basic Defensive Fighting
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I'm not sure any fantasy universe can be taken seriously ;).

40k is a mish-mash of every military and religious archetype going (probably every social grouping, too). Add a dose of fantasy mythology and contemporary references and you've got a system that has a surface of seriousness but with a blatantly humorous and subversive undertone.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Its a fantasy setting with no attempt at reality.

Some of the books are quite presentable and I do like the story behind the Tyranids, but no, 40,000 years from now people will not be using giant hammers to win space combats.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I used to think the 40k (and even fantasy) universe were well written. Then my girlfriend read one of my horus heresy novels out loud and i realized how far fetched a lot of the concepts are. Even the idea of bolters is a little insane. (sure, exploding rounds sound cool. But even a space marine would be killed in a shot or too, yet some characters take a shot to the face and keep going)

But we have to realize it's fantasy. I don't even think the world will be able to sustain life in 40,000 years, let alone an empire that can afford to sacrifice thousands of people every day just to keep 1 man half-alive and a few spaceship in "the warp"

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Valeron the forgotten
Warrior

Post by Valeron the forgotten »

Yes i do agree it is hard to take serious but also just to pint something out bikeninja not all bolter rounds are explosive only some. There are like 15 different types of round i think they are shown in the space marines 3rd edition codex i think.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I certainly think the official fluff of 40k is better than that of WHF. When Rork says it is a mishmash of all sorts of random notions, that is the beauty of it: it's a setting big and wide enough to convey them sensibly with little tieing in to be done.

That, and the fact that 7th edition WHF pales in comparison to 5th edition 40k in terms of playability.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Wh40k's fluff has always appealed to me, mostly the dark gothic Imperium technology and need to plug dead people into walls to make things work.

Yes i do agree it is hard to take serious but also just to pint something out bikeninja not all bolter rounds are explosive only some. There are like 15 different types of round i think they are shown in the space marines 3rd edition codex i think.

All bolter rounds explode, some just explode alot more, the standard round is something akin to a mini rocket I'm afraid.

Thank you Firewarrior for the amazing kickback that a tau fire warrior was somehow able to aim accurately! Seriously until I played that game I had no idea that they shot rocket shells.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

I take it seriously as I love being in a fantasy setting where unnatural things happen all the time. I love the fact that worshippers of Chaos get Gifts to eventually turn into a Daemon Prince or a Spawn.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

I can take the Inquisitorial side of things seriously. But it's such a richer and grittier painting of the 40k world, and i guess because it goes so much more in depth. The 40k universe as a whole is presented in a fairly black and white way, Space Marines and the Imperium being the good guys, Chaos, Orcs and Nid's being the bad, and Eldar and Tau the shades of grey between.

With the Inquisitor side of things, everything is grey, it's all horrible industrial based worlds, everyone's looking out for themselves and they fight this invisible war amongst thier own people. It just has a mroe realistic setting which is much easier to Sympathise with, and i guess because it's on a much mroe personal scale compared to that of an Army wide plight, it forces you to engage in a different way.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Space Marines and the Imperium being the good guys, Chaos, Orcs and Nid's being the bad, and Eldar and Tau the shades of grey between.

Well I wouldn't call the Imperium "good" perchance, I'd say they are a very very dark shade of grey. Thats why I love the system, noone is the "good" team.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Nids aren't bad. Nids are the uncontrollable, savage beast. They're natural selection working its way across the galaxy.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Cananatra
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Cananatra »

Well there is nothing to say nids are natural. All we know is they come from a different galaxy and eat. they could be a bio-weapon for all we know. Though they are real fun to play against.
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

How can you take any game that is playing with war dollies seriously?

All wargames are fun hobbies with different backgrounds.

I think I enjoy the game more because it has a rich background. I know some people that don't like the fantasy elements and prefer "hard scifi" type games.

People are imaginging a universe vastly different from our current world who's to say 40,000 years into the future they might not be right.

Replace the warp with hyperspace and daemons with extra dimensional entities and the game takes on a much harder scifi feel.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Aspiring Executioner wrote:I take it seriously as I love being in a fantasy setting where unnatural things happen all the time. I love the fact that worshippers of Chaos get Gifts to eventually turn into a Daemon Prince or a Spawn.

Well, with chicken feet and random horns sticking out of their heads, they need some compensation for no longer being to pull chics :D (

And yes, 5th ed 40k is the most fun I have had for ages. Tyrants being able to see over trees and blown up vehilces to shootand shoot is so cool
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Rabidnid wrote:Its a fantasy setting with no attempt at reality.

Some of the books are quite presentable and I do like the story behind the Tyranids, but no, 40,000 years from now people will not be using giant hammers to win space combats.
Read "The Forever War" sometime. It might happen, for very good reasons.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Arquinsiel wrote:

I have, they still won't be using axes or other silliness 40,000 years from now.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Well consider why guns are so dangerous on planes nowadays. In the future it may be advisable to avoid using any projectile weapons on spaceships. Close combat in confined zero-g could end up being the norm.
ImageImageImageImage
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Read the Eisenhorn books if you want some good, serious 40K background/fluff. That series is the best thing ever produced by GW, imo.
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I take it seriously. Me and me friends have made hundreds of years of background for our armies that is unique to any other forces in the game. Something Fantasy can never offer.

Also CC weapons would be logical against orks or nids win they get close enough that you have no time to reload your weapon. And that they are considerably awesome! Also makes gameplay intresting. Ever seen two Tau players fight eachother? It becomes a game where there is two gunlines firing at eachother and won't die to high powered guns because they are all in the best cover they can find. Watching Tau against Khorne is much funner where Tau rape the blood crazed maniacs running forwards, and if they dont kill them all, they lose.
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

I certainly think the official fluff of 40k is better than that of WHF. When Rork says it is a mishmash of all sorts of random notions, that is the beauty of it: it's a setting big and wide enough to convey them sensibly with little tieing in to be done.

Agreed. I actually take fantasy less seriously, possibly because I started in 5th edition when things were cartoony, over-the-top, and light-hearted. 40k's background is so deep and gritty that I find it very easy to "take seriously".

Edit: to be fair, I am aware 40k started off more comical as well, but I didn't start til 4th edition!
- Human
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Rabidnid wrote:
Arquinsiel wrote:

I have, they still won't be using axes or other silliness 40,000 years from now.
I wouldn't be too sure about that.. A good part of battles are still won or lost in a breakthrough attempt where the attacking side charges into close combat fighting with the enemy. Even if they have rifles and bazookas and rocket launchers and all that. IRL cover saves are just too good ;)
Based on that, I would imagine that when a soldier is charging in, he would be more effective with an axe than with that bayonet - provided there was an effective carrying apparatus for an axe... Modern day helmets and protective vests wouldn't protect user from an axe (for example) while a bayonet can glance off doing no damage.

On topic, yes I mostly take it seriously. If I even understood the question. 40k is just a game for me and I think it has a good background story and the different armies in the system all have good basic fluff
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

My
Kargan DaemonClaw wrote: war dollies
belive whatever I tell them. But the best part of of 40k and fantasy is that they are slightly based off of our world, but the rest is different so therefore fun. If this was Officehammer would you play? Ok Nids lets get the paper turned into the boss in 30, go!

-crazyhorse

EDIT. ok I shall try but remeber I am a moron ;). I was just saying that if the game was like real life (insert your job here) would you want to play it? Or is it better that it is weird and not like real life? Hope this helps.
Last edited by Crazyhorse on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

If this was Officehammer would you play? Ok Nids lets get the paper turned into the boss in 30, go!
I apologize but try as I might, I didn't understand at all.. Especially the last sentence :? Maybe you could simplify it for an apparent idiot, please?
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Zakath the Slaughterer wrote:
Rabidnid wrote:I have, they still won't be using axes or other silliness 40,000 years from now.
I wouldn't be too sure about that.. A good part of battles are still won or lost in a breakthrough attempt where the attacking side charges into close combat fighting with the enemy. Even if they have rifles and bazookas and rocket launchers and all that. IRL cover saves are just too good ;)
Based on that, I would imagine that when a soldier is charging in, he would be more effective with an axe than with that bayonet - provided there was an effective carrying apparatus for an axe... Modern day helmets and protective vests wouldn't protect user from an axe (for example) while a bayonet can glance off doing no damage.

Nope.

By that logic all of the anti-terrorist units in the world would be armed with axes. Axes are worthless versus modern body armor, contrary to popular belief. The biggest fans of the bayonet were the Russians up to the beginning of WWII. Since then they have decided that full auto weapons are the way to go. A single 5.56 or 5.45 bullet hits about 5 times harder than your average axe, and requires no special training. It ain't going to happen.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Since when does the average terrorist wear any armour at all, let alone modern body armour? It's the very antithesis of guerilla warfare principles to be so easily identifiable as a combatant and to waste resources on something so very unlikely to be of any real use.
ImageImageImageImage