WAACy Dark Eldar

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

WAACy Dark Eldar

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Okay, I am slowly getting my Eldar finished and seeking next project. The next project seems destined to be Dark Eldar (I like variety ;)) so I sketched up an army list for you to tear into pieces.

How is this for a purely competitive DE list for all-comers?

Archon
Agoniser, pistol, combat drugs, plasma grenades, shadowfield, trophy rack
He is a combat monster that I gave trophy rack to in order to avoid embarrasing panic attacks or pinnings.

Retinue
3 Incubi
2 Warriors
- Splinter Cannons
Quite cheesy if you ask me.. I think Incubi might not be the best of options because they lack Fleet of Foot but they do have the raw killing power and durability I need and mounted on a Raider, I think they should be able to make it to the CC.

Raider

Wych Dracite
Agoniser, pistol, trophy rack
He goes with the Wyches, mainly because I couldn't figure out what else to spend points on. He also adds a lot of killing power to the already formidable unit. And a point (or two) of LD.

10 Warriors
2x Dark Lances
These boys are my campers. They hold objectives and double as tank and MC deterrents. Fast enough to redeploy and may even use one of the Raiders if need be.

10 Warriors
2x Dark Lances
Quantity has its quality...

9 Wyches
Wych weapons, plasma grenades, Raider
Succubus: agoniser
154+55

3 Reaver Jetbikes
2 Blasters
Tried and tested. They can blow up tanks and contest objectives. Also able to deal with small CC jobs.

Ravager
3x Disintegrator
I already have 6 Dark Lances in the list so I gave this beauty 3 dissies. I think its use is pretty self-explanatory so no further rant

999 points

39 models plus the 3 vehicles

This is all eggs in one basket (or actually two) but I think that might be the most efficient way of fielding DE. Please, C&C are most welcome!
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

You only have 2 small and fragile scoring units.

I think you have far too many points invested in toys and not enough in core warrior units.

You will struggle to hold your objective let along capture the enemies.

I would drop the retinue and dracite and replace them with 2 units of warriors in raiders.

I think you are very hopefull with your reaver jetbikes 1 burst of a heavy bolter and they are all dead. Also you have to get within 12" of an enemy vehicle to get a shot, even then you are likely to get 2 hits <50% of the time and then each hit has a 50% chance of causing a penetrating result. So the unit might kill a tank about 1 time in 4 it shoots. However it will likely only get one shot.

I'd drop these and get more warriors in a raider or another foot sniper squad.

At 1000 points you can only afford i unit of expensive troops, if you want a combat unit, I'd give the wyches the blasters and have only 9 total in the unit and then run the lord with them. I would also consider dropping the lord to a dracon in 1k points.
Alongcamefred
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Alongcamefred »

The first thing I would do is remove either the retinue or wychs, plus the character which is with them. Both are good at different things. My personal choice would be the wyches which are a bit more tactically flexible. If you do keep the incubi remove the splinter cannon armed warriors and bump the squad size up to five. With the spare points you have left over you should really add another capturing unit, preferably a raider squad because of its last turn objective capturing abilities. With the other spare points get another ravager with two disintegrators. Drop one of the disintegrators. Which should leave you with a respectable all-comers list. Hope this helped. :D
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Damn, everybody agrees with me on dropping the Incubi :D

It was a hard choice for me to decide on wether I take Archon or Archite.. I decided on Archon mainly because my gaming group does make use of scary CC monsters. Hive Tyrants, Broodlords, Daemon Princes, Ork Warlords and Tau Ethereals are all there and I need to counter them somehow!

After dropping the Lord's retinue and the Dracite, I can afford a Raider squad - indeed a more viable option!

So what do everyone think of the Reaver Jetbikes? I have had succes with them before, but I haven't played them in the new edition of True LoS.. They have a lot less places to hide in than they used to and although they have been great help in the past, I might need to rethink them :?

Also, AlongcameFred, welcome to D.net ;) I hope you find you find the site as informing and fun as I do!
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

How about this:

I drop the Dracite and the Lord's retinue.

I take two more Jetbikes to make the unit somewhat durable.

I take a Raider squad of 8 Warriors including a Sybarite w/Agoniser and a Splinter Cannon. I take a Blaster too, if only because its just another 66% sure casualty just before charge.
Now I have the mounted scoring unit and with the aid of the Lord, they should be able to punch through anything holding an enemy objective.

This leaves me to 969 and I have no idea at all on what to take next.

Maybe just some more bodies to the camper squads? That would mean I have squads of 11 and 12 campers and 7 points to spare. Oh, just noticed that along dropping the Dracite I dropped his Trophy Rack. I'll Trphies to my Wych Succubus and end up in 998, how does this sound like?
Alongcamefred
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Alongcamefred »

Seems like a perfectly good list to me now with the changes.

Just be careful with the jetbikes and the new LOS rules. Always plan ahead so at the end of the turn they end up behind a piece of terrain. Otherwise they should be effective tank busters.

Thanks for the greeting by the way. Good luck with the army.
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

Reaver jetbikes have never been regarded highly, definately a second tier choice unless you make your lord on a jet bike and use the reavers as a support unit.

So in the objective missions you have 2 small fragile squads sitting on your objective and the lord and the raiders to go get the other objective while the wyches and jet bikes go fight the enemy to stop them getting at your objective.

You can't drop the archon and take an archite because that makes you a Wyche cult army and changes all your force org slots.

Personally I would drop the jetbikes for another squad of warriors, either a big mobile foot squad with 2 splinter cannons and 2 blasters or on a raider, the points from the dracite and the reavers should buy you a reasnable sized squad.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Personally I would drop the jetbikes for another squad of warriors, either a big mobile foot squad with 2 splinter cannons and 2 blasters or on a raider, the points from the dracite and the reavers should buy you a reasnable sized squad.
You think so? The Reavers are a bit problematic unit for me because I wanted to convert them riding smoething else than Jetbikes (mainly because I already own 14 Craftworld Jetbikes and would like some variety :) A foot slogging squad sounds nice but I wasn't sure if it was a competitive choice at all.

Big mobile foot squad... If I take dual Splinter Cannons and 2 Blasters, I have enough points for 12 Warriors. Not too big IMO :? And I would really like to have an Agoniser wielding Sybarite in there.

You can't drop the archon and take an archite because that makes you a Wyche cult army and changes all your force org slots.
I meant Archite, sorry

Archon
Agoniser, pistol, combat drugs, plasma grenades, shadowfield

10 Warriors
2x Dark Lances

10 Warriors
2x Dark Lances

9 Warriors
Splinter Cannon,
Sybarite w/Agoniser
Raider
107+55

15 Warriors
2 Splinter Cannons
2 Blasters
Sybaritew/ Agoniser

9 Wyches
Wych weapons, plasma grenades, Raider
Succubus: agoniser
154+55

Ravager
3x Disintegrator

1000 pts.

How's that?

I think its a bit Warrior heavy right now :?
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I couldn't make a workable army out of the standard list and went for a wych cult instead (using Dark Elf wtches with corsair hand cross bows as pistols :) )

The elite squads park and shoot, while the now troop choice wyches land on people and take objectives. The new cover rules plus their 4+ invulnerable save in CC make them very survivable.

The new chaos beasts are perfect for beast packs to dispute objectives.

When finished I'm hoping for apretty and deadly army.
"Luck is the residue of design"