New 40k Video Game

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

New 40k Video Game

Post by Kefka »

Found this in another forum site.
There's a new Warhammer 40k game that's being worked on by THQ, it's simply called: Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (it might just be a working title though). You (obviously) play as a space marine. It's supposed to be coming out for the 360 and the PS3.
Here's an early gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITs66VI9UB4

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Intimate brutality...riiiight...

Total Recall body shield moments...hehehehehe.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Heat-13
Beastmaster

Post by Heat-13 »

Looks like fun...

Love the action kills - so much fun =P

..Hope it will come out on pc,

I also hope that you can turn renegade and serve chaos in it...

Cause that would be so much better then serving the emperor on some dead end mission =D
WS:4 S:3 T:3 D:5 I:4
Basic Stealth, Blood Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting
Eq: S Swordx2, R Crossbow (8 clips), 3xT.Daggers (2gd,1exc) Shade Cloak, Wolfskin Cloak, Stealth armor,s drugs, ring,50ft s.rope, 4rations.33.3 gp
Group 21 Mod
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

I am getting bored of hearing "FOR THE EMPEROR!" in so many video games. Even if I got to play Chaos for a bit it would be more exciting. ("Death to the false emperor!" is also already overused in THQ games.)
Dawn of War is still my favourite 40k video game, mainly because I can play almost any of the races, so it doesn't get boring after an hour.
Oh well, I'm still a slave to giving my money to anything with WARHAMMER in the title, so I'll probably buy it. Maybe I'll put it on mute and come up with my own dialog.
But other than being a space marine AGAIN, it looks like it will be great fun

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Heat-13
Beastmaster

Post by Heat-13 »

I agree with bikeninja, I am too tired with the goody goody "Don't worry princess I'll save you!" attitude of gaming (although in this case the princess is a 10000 year old zombie sitting on lifesupport...yum). I now prefer things with some grey areas in their plots.

It wouldn't exactly hurt for the game to have a nasty plot twist along the lines of you having to blow up an entire megapolis full of innocent civilians in order to save the planet from a chaos/alien infestation.

But yeah I'll defenitely get the game, because... hey afterall, shooting stuff in the face with a bolter is just FUN =D But a good storyline wouldn't hurt either.
WS:4 S:3 T:3 D:5 I:4
Basic Stealth, Blood Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting
Eq: S Swordx2, R Crossbow (8 clips), 3xT.Daggers (2gd,1exc) Shade Cloak, Wolfskin Cloak, Stealth armor,s drugs, ring,50ft s.rope, 4rations.33.3 gp
Group 21 Mod
Rebmonk
Shade

Post by Rebmonk »

an ultramarine beating up khorne in cc? i call shennanigans.

looks like alot of fun though. Seems like it needs to be a little faster, as those AI attacks looked slow enough to be easily dodged/parried.

Should definitely keep me entertained though.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

i hope your not 1 marine who can take on 10 chaos marines and live, it should be balanced out. So if your facing 2 chaos marines your gonna have a tough time, 3 its hardcore, 4 your dead. They said they wanted it realistic after all :)
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Heartrender wrote:They said they wanted it realistic after all :)

So that's realistic for a bunch of genetically enhanced super-warriors combating the forces of entities from another dimension...right...

Accurate, maybe ;) .

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

rebmonk wrote:an ultramarine beating up khorne in cc? i call shennanigans.

I'm pretty sure that their word bearers, THQ has this thing about making Ultramarines face Word bearers for some reason...

Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I've only seen this today and.... it ain't impressing me. It would have been a better idea to just re-skin Gears of War really. And the "cinemaction" thing is just.... yeah, we know you like mashing words together - that doesn't excuse the fact that you picked up a chaos marine, ripped the pins out of all his grenades, chucked him at a mob of cultists and STILL had to finish him off with your chainsword. Accurate my ass.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

Video has now been taken down, bloody copyright claims!

I hope it is at least accurate rather than just another bald marine shoot-em up.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Rebmonk
Shade

Post by Rebmonk »

after playing assassins creed yesterday this game seems very similar, just with marines.

I'll probably wait for the demo to try it out.
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Post by The griefbringer »

rebmonk wrote:after playing assassins creed yesterday this game seems very similar, just with marines.

Exactly what I'm afraid of. Combat in Assassins' Creed was a mixture of boring and incredibly frustrating, with terrible camera angles and bothersome (and repetetive) finishing moves.

If they want to see how to do a fun 3rd Person slasher game, they should check out Conan for the 360. That was a blast and had far more elegant gameplay.
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Actually now that you've mentioned it you did remind me of my criticism yesterday while at the launch for Black Reach. It is basically Assassin's Creed combat. Enemies circle around you lazily, attacking one at a time, and you can easily defend against each attack at your leisure and pick your moments for with impunity. It's just silly.

[EDIT] Also, with the context-sensitive controls of the Gears of War engine it would have been a pure ARTFORM trying to get a good balance between pistol and chainsword in combat. It would have made effective combat acutally about skill and positioning rather than the standard twitch-reflex crap we get nowadays *mutter-mutter-grumble*[/EDIT]
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

I'm a little sick of all these games where you go the human and beat up all the evil aliens. How bout they go back to the games like fire warrior, that I have to say was my favourite 40k game. So if any THQ people are listening I have this to say- "STOP RAMMING SPACE MARINES DOWN OUR THROATS AND GIVE YOUR CUSTOMERS SOME CHOICE." Despite what some may think look at the elder scrolls, choice of race and I believe both no. 3 and 4 won game of the year.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

That's why I really liked old school Dungeon Keeper :D
Build a dungeon, breed minions and send them on foolish adventurers!
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

Demendred wrote:I'm a little sick of all these games where you go the human and beat up all the evil aliens. How bout they go back to the games like fire warrior, that I have to say was my favourite 40k game. So if any THQ people are listening I have this to say- "STOP RAMMING SPACE MARINES DOWN OUR THROATS AND GIVE YOUR CUSTOMERS SOME CHOICE." Despite what some may think look at the elder scrolls, choice of race and I believe both no. 3 and 4 won game of the year.

^THIS

Oh god, I can't tell you how much I'd love to play as a Chaos Marine, or a genestealer cultist. Something new, something fresh. But, of course, GW wouldn't go for it. No one can upstage the goldenboy astartes.

@bikeninja: What battle cry would prefer? Blood for the Blood God? Harriers for the cup? How about this one: For the good of all goodly folk! Got that one from a Salvatore book. And people say good literature is hard to come by these days.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

battle cry?
FOR PONY!

either way, at least Dawn of War II will let you play more than just space marines ;)
And it looks amazing from what I've seen on Games Day
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

Yeah, it was pretty freakin' awesome. At least it was when I saw it at PAX.
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Post by The griefbringer »

My battle cry choice:

SPOOOOOOON!!!!

As for the 'always being the SMurf' routine, I agree. I would really like to have an FPS (a la HALO) where you play a Guardsman. Just a regular dude trying to survive an ork attack, you know?

Heck, even if they let me a play as a Dreadnought I would like it better.
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

The Griefbringer wrote:My battle cry choice:

SPOOOOOOON!!!!

Heck, even if they let me a play as a Dreadnought I would like it better.

"I am the big blue bug of Justice!" Loved that show!

A dreadnought would be kind of cool, I just think it would get boring watching it waddle across the battlefield...

Grandmasterfred
Executioner

Post by Grandmasterfred »

maybe they should have dreadnoughts as a vehicle
and i think it should kind of be halo ish with characters on both sides of the fight like with elites except instead of elites your a eldar and instead of cloaking you can teleport around the battle field attaching sticky bombs of some kind to dreadnoughts and then teleporting away,and whacking a space marine or gaurdsmen in the face with your deathspinner :twisted:
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by THQ Inc

:(

What was it called?
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
found a new video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbjbbzOrCIg

Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

That video was ripped off version of Gears of War... the movement and gameplay was almost exactly the same. Too much of a focus on executions, where in Gears its ok as that's what makes it, those sort of executions in a 40k game just don't work.

They got it all wrong. Space Marines DO NOT move like that. Bolters would rip those cultists to shreads, not do weak amounts of damage. The SM would have been screwed by those three CSMs.