Space Wolves questions from someone new to 40k

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Space Wolves questions from someone new to 40k

Post by Lonely shade »

I apologize in advance to those that have not yet come across my insanely long posts. Any fainting, drowsiness, heart problems, eye problems, breathing problems, and so on are not to be my fault. Read this at your peril.

Having said that, I resently decided to venture out from the fantasy universe. My next logical step would be to delve 40k+ years into the future, in an alternate dimension. I did my research, and have very little to show for it. I know I'm not interested in Orks, Eldar or Tau, all Inquisition, 'Nids & Imperial Guard, and Necrons. Orks (although they were my first choice), Eldar and Tau because too many people I know play them, Inquisition because I'm jewish and it is just a very sensitive topic for me, 'Nids & IG because my Druchii army is already sucking my wallet dry and I doubt I'll have enough money for a swarm army, and Necrons because they seem dull and unentertaining.

This leaves me with Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, and Dark Eldar. However, Necrons could be added to the list if they get redone soon (and well). Out of all SM chapters, Space Wolves was the only one to interest me, mainly because of its non-conformism. CSM I'm just lost, but Plague Marines seem to be the favourite. DE I'm not sure just because of the insanely out-dated rules, but much like Necrons they could become a strong contender if they get redone well. So atm, I'm at Space Wolves & CSM.

This prompts my next question: Will Space Wolves get redone, and more importantly will it be soon? If they will, they are a definite yes, but as of now I've read/heard rumours of all armies getting redone soon, except for Orks, Tau, and Eldar. If they will be definitely getting a new book soon, will it be worth it to buy models now or should I wait for new models? If not, are they currently a worthwhile army to use?

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

I heard a rumour that they are to be done in December but more reliable rumours shot it down in flames. But I expect them to be done sometime next year as their unorthodox counterparts the Blood Angels and Dark Angels were done recently. They are competitive. No other army I know of can take Dreadnoughts as HQ units and nor can any other army take 4 Power Fists in one basic squad. I think their codex is as old as the Dark Eldar one but it was designed much better and is still compatible today. There are 2 Space Wolf armies at my local store and do reasonably well.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Just a small point on Inquisition. There is not really an `Inquisition' army; just a HQ character, then you just take any other units you please from all the other human armies (eg you could take an Inquisitor with some Imperial Guard and Ultramarines). The two Inquisition books actually mostly involve older armies that you may or may not be interested in: the Grey Knights (anti-Daemon Space Marine chapter) and the Sisters of Battle (kind of like female space marines meets religious fanatics). They are considered more `challenging' armies (read: old and under-powered), however, and people generally advise against new players taking them.

The currently up-to-date armies are: Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Chaos Daemons, Orks and Space Marines (well, they will be in a week or two). Black Templar, Tau and Tyranid are at the previous edition, but close enough to up-to-date that they are no less competitive for it. All other armies are massively out-of-date. Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Necron and (possibly) Dark Eldar are expected to be updated in 2009, with most of the rest in 2010, leaving Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle finishing up in 2011.

Space Marines are generally the most commonly played army. Where I play, I am one of only two people who does not have them. They are the cheapest army, easiest to learn to play with and the quickest/easiest to paint. They also have the most toys to bring to the table.

Of the variant chapters, the Space Wolves are the most out of date, however, they are expected to be the next army to be released, so you may not have to wait long for an update it you go with them. I do not know anyone who plays this chapter, so I cannot say much about them at all.

Chaos Space Marines are less popular than Space Marines, but quite effective. The new Space Marine codex looks like it may be significantly better, but I personally feel their Chaos counterparts have more character. They are effective, without being too cheesy (though Lash of Submission has earned its critics).

Dark Eldar are a difficult army. In the hands of someone who has mastered them, they are completely unbeatable. In the hands of anyone else, they are easy meat. There are very few ways to use their incredibly out-of-date book, but it you have the patience to suffer all the losses they are probably the most rewarding army in the game. It is thought they may get a new release next year, but it may not be until 2010.
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

The SW codex was confirmed at the UKgames day by Phil Kelly to be released probably at the end of next year, so you'll have at least a years wait.

CSM are a decent choice as long as you go undivided i.e. Black legion. All the new chaos books in both systems are designed to be used as undivided: choosing to go mono will limit yourself greatly.

Theres a guy in White Dwarf creating a CSM, Red Corsairs, army using SW models to represent some of his force. This could be an option for you.
Uman
Cold One Knight

Post by Uman »

The new Space Marines codex for 5th ed is released in Oz next month (October)... I'd imagine that there'll be some WD guides and hints on how to use the major chapters that will later get there on "add-on" codices about that time...

Basically, I'd say by the end of October, all the Space Marine chapters will have at least the core of the new 5th Ed make up...

U
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Actually, Blood Angels and Dark Angels were already updated for fifth edition, while Space Wolves and Black Templar are also quite different to the codex chapters and will not be updated this year. Games Workshop have stated explicitly that they will not be FAQing the new Smurf toys/prices/etc into the non-codex chapters.
Tordeck
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Tordeck »

Space wolves just got a little bit better because much of the codex they have has "refer to the space marine codex" and the new one is looking good.
The Dark City

The Web's First and Only Forum Dedicated to the Dark Eldar
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Space Wolves in december 09 is good news for me :) I am just getting assault on black reach and painting them as space wolves, so i should have a few nice additions to that starter army throughout the year thus leading me into the new book with a viable army built up for it. Cant wait.

Is it too early, or is their any rumours on what might be going on inside the new book?

Elric of Grans wrote:and the quickest/easiest to paint.

Necrons, anyone?