Regarding the Crypteian Chapter (SM fluff)

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Regarding the Crypteian Chapter (SM fluff)

Post by Gnosis »

+++ Astropathic message begins +++
Source: Astropath Garles Neos, Lakdemon Astropathic Guild Beta
To: Lord Inquisitor Nestor Huain, Ordo Malleus Delian Subsector, Segmentum Solar
Subject: Crypteians [Adeptus Astartes]
See also: Scourge of Berias [f. 100.5647g], Planet IXC5255, Segmentum Obscurus Ordo Malleus Roll of Honour [560M41] [f. 4.n4579]

My Lord Inquisitor,

It is with a measure of hesitation that I would announce my success in the task that you had set before me fourteen sidereal months before, for I cannot yet confirm the cooperativity of those you wished to contact through me. But do not think my inquiry fruitless, for I can at least augment the knowledge of our glorious Ordos Delian about this most mercurial Astartes Chapter. Though I was – and, I am shamed to admit, still am – rather unsettled by the company of these solemn giants, I found the warriors I encountered during my stay somewhat more talkative once word had got out that I am, as you are, Lord, of the monodominant persuasion. I am certain that it will fill your heart with hope to see that such ferocious puritanism does exist among the oft-dubious Astartes. My discussions on the various philosophies of the Malleus with Oligarch Herleis shall have to be recounted elsewhere, for now I shall limit myself to what the Captain divulged to me concerning his chapter and battle company.

: Founding
As with many notable Astartes chapters, the lineage of the Crypteians are difficult to ascertain; Herleis claimed the chapter itself has no records, be they written or passed orally, of the origin of their geneseed or the precise time of their founding, but he might of course have been economical with the truth. In any case, it is estimated from the settlement of their homeworld and the earliest battle logs that the chapter was established sometime in the beginning of the thirty-seventh millennium. The name of the chapter is another mystery; Herleis was again vague about its meaning, giving up no more than that it was the name of a shadowy fraternity of deviant-hunters on ancient Terra.

: Homeworld
One must praise the Crypteians, for they rule over and defend none other than Lakdemon, a small fortress world in an otherwise nondescript star system close to the Cadian sector and the dreaded Eye of Terror. Theirs is the sacred duty and right to rule over the warp-blighted population, staunch in defence and pious in faith though they be, and over the manifold embattled bastions and citadels which resist the Archenemy. These are ruled over faithfully by Castellans in a simple but effective feudal system, and the only resource these non-Astartes leaders have to attribute to their overlords is manpower for use on the chapter's ships or in other facilities.
During the first days of my stay I was given a tour by air-launch of the northeastern continent, and I found the many jutting towers and walls which cover the planet's surface to be well-maintained, with ubiquitous work crews and servitors making reparations to the defenses in the wake of the Unspeakable One's crusade out of the Eye.

: Organisation
Unlike most chapters of the Astartes, who follow the strictures outlined by the hallowed Roboute Guilliman, the Crypteians' organisation is notably decentralised. Where other chapters have a chapter master or grandmaster or other individual warrior of great renown at the very zenith, the Crypteians are ruled by a council of nine Oligarchs (as Herleis) and a Seeker, all of equal rights but of differing responsibility – Herleis, as leader of the Wandering Company, is tasked for example with assisting and mediating with the various seats of our own Ordo Malleus. Each of these ten powerful individuals commands a battle company of roughly a hundred and twenty Space Marines, plus the usual support crew and servitors. A notable divergence in regular chapter consistency is that only three Librarians, or Seekers as the Crypteians name them, are ever present in the chapter ranks.

: Recruitment
It is in this regard that the Crypteians differ most from other chapters we have encountered – whereas other chapters recruit their neophytes from strong and simple warrior stocks (ref. class 43 [feral/barbarian] or 35 [medieval] worlds), the Crypteians have but one discerning trait they seek: the 'untouchable' gene which causes its bearer and its immediate surroundings to be totally immune to the effects of warpcraft – most blessed persons affectionally or mockingly referred to as 'blunts'.
As younglings with this rare quality are few and far between, the chapter devotes an entire company to its recruitment, and that is the Seeker Company. At its head reside the three Librarian-Seekers mentioned above; of course, only a potent psyker could sense the deadzone which untouchables project in and around their person. The Seeker Company has at its disposal a rather well-rounded fleet, and it has on numerous occasions assisted other Imperial fighting forces. As the Company sails far and wide among the stars on its search, all of the neophytes' glandular surgery, incubation and training is conducted aboard the fleet, and contact with Lakdemon – or other battle companies on campaign – usually occurs once per sidereal decade, a festive occasion on which recruits are initiated into the ranks as full Battle Brothers and adopted into the other companies.

I'm sure my Lord will appreciate and recognise the great boon a cooperative pact between this chapter and our Ordo Malleus would be. In these grim days of festering heresy and illicit witchcraft a full chapter of staunch warriors, all blessed by our magnificent Emperor with a total immunity to the Warp, could perhaps turn the tide – if my Lord allows me to hope. In any case, I shall resume my investigations. I am bidden back to the chapter base to witness the sub-zero combat training of Sergeant Hekaton's Assault squad, then to Lakdemon Universitariate Hospital for the final touches to my new prosthetic right hand (I must remember not to offer Hekaton, or any Astartes, a handshake in the future). I shall report my further findings as soon as I can.

Your ob'dt servant,

Interrogator Jauns.

+++ Astropathic message ends +++
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Hummmm....

I'd nuke them just to be on the safe side. This close to the Eye of Terror, this level of aberation would be treated with the greatest dubiousness. The deviance of the recruits is also suspect, as is the recruitment process, and the trust placed in the Librarians.

My vote would be to kill them all, just to be sure.

As a semi heretical cult of reformed chaos marines fighting for the emperor, they could be to useful to radical witch hunters.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I'm not sure I understand your view - do you think the Imperium would really crack down on a chapter of untouchables, completely warp-free individuals? I would consider them a tool, and that's what I tried to get across a bit with the setting of the Inquisitorial communiqué.

Perhaps I should expand upon the status of Chaplains to denote their allegiance to the Ecclesiarchy (being puritan and all), I omitted these in this short fluff piece because I do not think their role and position different from other chapters.

These are not Chaos Marines in any way, don't know what you meant to say with your last sentence.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Damnation wrote:I'm not sure I understand your view - do you think the Imperium would really crack down on a chapter of untouchables, completely warp-free individuals? I would consider them a tool, and that's what I tried to get across a bit with the setting of the Inquisitorial communiqué.

Perhaps I should expand upon the status of Chaplains to denote their allegiance to the Ecclesiarchy (being puritan and all), I omitted these in this short fluff piece because I do not think their role and position different from other chapters.

These are not Chaos Marines in any way, don't know what you meant to say with your last sentence.

They are mutants, simply by being different. Faith in the emperor is shield enough, deviance deserves only death.

Basically I can't see then as being accepted at all. They are like Grey Knights but without the rigorous selection process, their selection being based on a physical attibute rather than their moral integrity.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Your fluff-fu is weak, young Rabidnid. That said, the premise of this chapter is also questionable. The vast majority of identified blanks end up in the Culexus temple, out in the super-secret location.
Secondly, untrained blanks provoke crippling nausea in pskyers, often incapacitating them for days at a time. This is due to their very nature results in them registering as no more than a rock in the pskyer's view of the warp, so tracking down a blank is, at best, like looking for a particular hole in a swiss cheese, unless there are obvious leads to follow. Even then it can be disguised, as the Ciaphas Cain books show, with Greater Daemons not being aware of the blank's existance until it makes physical contact. I could, possibly, with extension of fluff, see particularly clever Eldar psykers finding them, by detecting the lack of warp-sparks of microbes in an area, if they are that sensitive and microbes have souls.TL;DR: psykers can't see them beyond "it hurts" range.
Third, the language you use is, in places, diverging from your intended meaning. Specifically, the work crews are implied to be fixing the damage that they themselves caused.
Fourth, the name rocks. I love the reference.

Overall an entertaining read, with a nice take on the background. I don't see you getting many purists to like it, but screw them. I demand a colour scheme!
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Kiaron hebleth
Black Guard

Post by Kiaron hebleth »

I like the idea, but if the entire chapter has the untouchable gene then how do they have psykers to find new recruits?

Mind you, I don't know too much about the untouchable gene. Can peple with it learn to control the effects?
Character Name: Dah'menk

Stats:
WS5 S3 T2 D4 I4

Weapons: Long Sword, shield, light armour, corsair handbow, 5 clips of ammo, excellent quality knife, small knife.

Character class: Warrior
Skills: Defensive fighting

RPG Group 18 mod