Sororitas

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Saithis
Highborn

Sororitas

Post by Saithis »

Hi guys...
do you have a link for some information about sororitas? we are playing a 40k campaign and i am not sure who they should be played.
as far as i know they are not genetically enhanced, but they have very good armour (as good as space marines?!) are well trained and so on...
how fanatic are they? similar to these insnane inquisitors or a "bit more normal"?
how ascetic is a sororitas? do they have money, other posessions, are they allowed to have a (sexual-)relationship (or are they virgins like a classical nun), can they stay outside their monastery or is their life very strict?
is it possible that a matriarch for example can be posessed (by a deamon of course) and so on?

would be very thankful for some hints...

best regards
Sai'
At last, we will have revenge...
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: Sororitas

Post by Rork »

Saithis wrote:Hi guys...
do you have a link for some information about sororitas? we are playing a 40k campaign and i am not sure who they should be played.
as far as i know they are not genetically enhanced, but they have very good armour (as good as space marines?!) are well trained and so on...
how fanatic are they? similar to these insnane inquisitors or a "bit more normal"?

They're devoted to the Emperor and are the fighting arm of the Ecclesiarchy - Unsurprisingly they're pretty damn devout ;).

how ascetic is a sororitas? do they have money, other posessions,

Technically they have no need for money. Outside of their monastery they will most likely be fighting rather than spending.

are they allowed to have a (sexual-)relationship (or are they virgins like a classical nun),

It's never covered in the background, but as devotees and effectively nuns you have to assume they aren't. However, in Cain's Last Stand it is mentioned that there is no specific rule that says they must be chaste.

is it possible that a matriarch for example can be posessed (by a deamon of course) and so on?

It might be possible, but it is exceptionally unlikely. Anyone who shows the slightest vulnerability to being possessed isn't likely to make it as a sister.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Saithis
Highborn

Re: Sororitas

Post by Saithis »

Rork wrote:It might be possible, but it is exceptionally unlikely. Anyone who shows the slightest vulnerability to being possessed isn't likely to make it as a sister.

i just asked, because maybe i could make a higher sister a hidden cultist - perhaps she was 'infected' years after she joined the group. because no one would expect that ;)

thanks a lot for the answers Rork!

if someone else has some more / further tips: please go on :D
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

In so far as Chaotic taint is concerned, it depends on your own views: do you consider Black Library official fluff. Personally, I do not, so I would say no. Officially, one Sister has turned to Slanesh, and she is the disgrace to all other Sisters. In Black Library's Daemonifuge, every second Sister (or perhaps more) seems to be possessed.

The Orders Militant of the Adepta Sororitas are ordinary humans, but they are highly trained and given the best equipment available to the Imperium (Bolters, Power Armour, etc). They are the militant wing of the Ecclesiarchy who fight on the Church's behalf, though they are also charged with observing the Church itself to `sort out' any priests who go too far. They are absolute fanatics to the Imperial Creed too: they hate all chaos, mutants and xenos without exception. Guard with Ogryn? Space Marines? Navigators Pfft, pathetic abhumans! They will tolerate them only as far as the Emperor will make them, for He is their everything. Their faith in him is so great that they can even perform minor miracles on the battle field! It is also worth noting that training, prayer and penance are all the same thing to them. Under their power armour, they are covered in devotional tatoos and ritual scars.

The Inquisition is a little different. Inquisitors are tasked with finding and studying/eliminating any elements deemed dangerous to the Imperium. Normally they will operate with a small group of trusted assistants, but they are able to call any Imperial force to their aid, should they require it. This means anything! If they want a Warlord titan to pick up their girlfriend, they can get the thing! They can demand anything, though they will only ever request assistance from the Space Marines, out of respect. Inquisitors are all individuals, so they vary greatly. You may find one who gladly uses alien technology to discover and defeat aliens, whereas another may consider such technology abhorrent.

Er... I am only slightly a fan of the Sisters... honest!
Uman
Cold One Knight

Post by Uman »

40K Radio has just done an episode the other week around the Witch Hunter list if you wanted to check it out.... The other half of the review is in their members-only section though, but HQs and Elites and some Troops are covered in it....

U
Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

wow thats nice...
thanks a lot! :D

it's a shame i don't have more 40k books. there are many intresting ideas in there. as long as you don't see that universe too logically it's just fun and damn big...
i like it very much and it's fun to settle a RPG there

PS: where can i get that 40k radio? never heard of that
€: found the radiopage... thx for that :P
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

Saithis, try to get 2nd edition Codex: Sisters of Battle (by Gav Thorpe). It's the best codex I've ever read.

Oh, and wathing cut-scenes from Dawn of War Soulstorm might help. You can find them on youtube.
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

Elric of Grans wrote:In so far as Chaotic taint is concerned, it depends on your own views: do you consider Black Library official fluff. Personally, I do not, so I would say no. Officially, one Sister has turned to Slanesh, and she is the disgrace to all other Sisters. In Black Library's Daemonifuge, every second Sister (or perhaps more) seems to be possessed.

Concerning Daemonifuge: ONE Battle Sister is actually possessed by a demon. Then there is an Order Dialogous on a distant planet (mind you, these are no Order Militant and rather scholars than warriors) who have the great idea to study an imprisoned Keeper of Secrets. Of course they eventually succumb to Chaos eventually. Space Marines, high-ranking members of the Ecclesiarchy, Inquisitors... they all can be corrupted by Chaos and so can Sisters of Battle.
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Cenyu wrote:Space Marines, high-ranking members of the Ecclesiarchy, Inquisitors... they all can be corrupted by Chaos and so can Sisters of Battle.

Putting aside that it is specifically stated only a single Sister ever has, it has also been stated that no Grey Knight has ever fallen. There are incorruptible humans. Not many, but they do exist.
Lidlesspraetor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lidlesspraetor »

Artein wrote:Saithis, try to get 2nd edition Codex: Sisters of Battle (by Gav Thorpe). It's the best codex I've ever read.

I totally agree. My bro still has his from 2nd ed. I used to have my space marine one from then too, til it got stolen =S But anyway, 2nd ed. codeces are cramed with all sorts of background info that you just dont find in them anymore. Here's the ISBN for the SoB 2nd ed. book: ISBN 1872372147 it might make finding it easier, who knows.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Elric of Grans wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Space Marines, high-ranking members of the Ecclesiarchy, Inquisitors... they all can be corrupted by Chaos and so can Sisters of Battle.

Putting aside that it is specifically stated only a single Sister ever has, it has also been stated that no Grey Knight has ever fallen. There are incorruptible humans. Not many, but they do exist.

I find that very difficult to belive, we are talking about a chapter that has existed for what? 9000 years or so? At any one time there must have been around 1000 astates all spending a great deal of time in the company of Deamons, many probobly on deamon worlds. And in all of that time not one has been corupted? I think that this is an example of the factionist propaganda GW puts into the books to make them more colourful, more like they have been writen by the Grey Knights them selves. Like when the the DE army book Furion claims that the high elf princes cursed the Flames of Asuryan. If I remember rightly it also claims that no Oro Malus Storm Troopers have fallen either, presumably millions of men and woman over the years. Plus Inquisitors fall into darkness and you don't get into that position without a lot of safe guards and purity checks. Maybe some individuals are incoruptable but I doubt that enough can be found to make a whole chapter of Space Marines especialy given their already incredibly high standards.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation