1500 Competetive style Tau. Yes, i said Tau, no im not jokin

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

1500 Competetive style Tau. Yes, i said Tau, no im not jokin

Post by Grandmaster ej »

HQ
Shas’el + Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Target Array, HW Multi Tracker, HW Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones, HW Blacksun Filter = 130

Troops
6 Fire Warriors + Devilfish, Disruption Pods, Decoy Launchers, Smart Missiles, Multi Tracker = 170
12 Fire Warriors + Shas’ui, Marker Light, Hard Wired Target Lock, Bonding Knife = 150
13 Kroot = 91
14 Kroot = 98

Elites
4 Stealth Suits + Drone Controllers, 4 Gun Drones = 160
2 Crisis Battle Suits + 2 Plasma Rifles, 2 Missile Pods, 2 Multi Trackers, Team Leader, Target Array, HW Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones = 169
2 Crisis Battle Suits + 2 Plasma Rifles, 2 Missile Pods, 2 Multi Trackers, Team Leader, Target Array, HW Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones = 169

Heavy Support
Hammerhead Gunship + Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker, Disruption Pods, Blacksun Filter, Decoy Launchers, Target Lock = 180
Hammerhead Gunship + Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker, Disruption Pods, Blacksun Filter, Decoy Launchers, Target Lock = 180

Total = 1498
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If you want competitive Tau, get rid of Kroot. they might be best close combat unit available to Tau... but they pale in comparison to anything that will actually want to assault you.

Also the army feels pretty small... and has no broadsides.
Broadsides with shield drones work wonders.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

A suit HQ, 60 fire warriors and 3 hammer heads with rail guns won quite a few tournaments when they came out.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Grandmaster ej »

Kroot are essential to being able to have an offencive element to the tau army in capture scenarios, gives them at least a small chance of being able to take an opposing objective.

60 fire warriors and 3 hammerheads wont kill a horde of marines, they will get butchered by it.
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Darkened sun
Slave on the Altar

Post by Darkened sun »

Dalamar: No, Kroot are especially good under 5th ed. They Infiltrate and so can deploy outside of your deployment zone straight into a building next to or on an objective. They are only 7 points and will be getting a 4+ save once deployed in a building, making them twice as effective and a pain to dislodge. I always take a unit of Kroot and am considering getting another one of them.

EJ, your list looks OK, but I would drop the shield drones on the Crisis suits as they are not much use and increase their price excessively. Take off the Team Leader and Targeting Array as well. I am not a big fan of undersized Fire Warrior units in Devilfish, so I would boost the unit in the DF to 12. The Disruption Pods on your Vehicles are good, as are the Blacksun Filters, but the Decoy Launchers are no use, so get rid of them. You should consider taking a Flechette Discharger for your transport, which you probably need another one of for your other Fire Warrior unit (you need multiple mobile Troops choices for grabbing objectives). Also, SMS will be much better on your Hammerheads than Devilfish. The Markerlight on your Fire Warrior squad is one of the least cost effective ways of getting Markerlights into your list. Under 5th ed., Jet Pack Jump Infantry count as relentless and so can move and fire heavy weapons and count as stationary. This means that you can take the following squad:

3 Stealthsuits – Team Leader with Markerlight, Hard-Wired Drone Controller, 2 Marker Drones (165)

That's 3 STEALTH Markerlights, AND the unit can move AND shoot. I take 2 of these units for 2000 points, as well as a Pathfinder unit, giving me 14 Marklerlights and averaging 7 hits. You should considering replacing the Gun Drones in your Stealth squad with Marker Drones, and lowering the suits to 3. You might also want to consider more anti-tank shooting in the form of a Broadside or two, if not in this list, then in 2000 points. Piranhas can also be taken, but I would go for the Broadsides first (with Advanced Stabilization Systems).

Hope this has helped.