witch hunters and allies

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Ladello
Trainee Warrior

witch hunters and allies

Post by Ladello »

After reading the codex witch hunter a compel of times I got a question; If you use witch hunters as allies to and space marine army you can have battle sister (adepta seroriat squads) and next question; Is it possible to ally yourself with an Deamonhunter, but have the witch hunters as the "parent" army? And last, must I full fill any requirement to be used as an ally?
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

Been recently reading a LOT into the ordo armies and this is what i have came up with (please correct me if im wrong)

Allying is including at least one troop and up to one for each type except for heavy support. This includes Deamonhunter. It is normaly recomended to have WH as the parent unit too being that they have much more effective anti tank in Heavy than the DH.
...Well thats the end of my post
Ladello
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ladello »

I think your right, also read the DH codex, and it seems it possible to use WH as parent army for DH (for confirmation)
Ladello
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ladello »

I have a question, and this might be a far shot; Is it possible to ally a witch hunter army to a space marine army, and use daemonhunters as allies to the WH army if you full fill the 1hq 2 troop thing?

Space Marine (parent)
|
-> Witch Hunter (allys)
|
-> Daemonhunters (allied to WH)
Sorine
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Sorine »

Yes.

You can even use Sisters of Battle with Marines, as long as the Marine list is the parent list.
Witch hunter (parent list) can not take Marines if Sisters are in the army.
Odd isn't it.
As far as anti tank options in Witch hunters, your very limited. The Demon hunters at least have lascannons and Multi-Melta dreads (moving and still shooting a multi-melta is awesome). Witch hunters have Exorcists, which are a Sisters only vehicle. Even that is only Str. 8, so your only ever glancing AV14. AP1 does help tho.
"Whatever I say, you will call a lie. Such a wonderful thought, isn't it my dear friend."
- Sorine Re'bane
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Sorine wrote:Witch hunter (parent list) can not take Marines if Sisters are in the army.
Odd isn't it.

Personally, I cannot see it working either way. Marines would not accept being side-kicks for the Sisters, but the Sisters would not willingly work for a bunch of ab-humans. It would need some crazy fluff about the Ecclesiarchy ordering them to aid the Marines for some crazy reason that would stretch the fluff.

Sorine wrote:As far as anti tank options in Witch hunters, your very limited. The Demon hunters at least have lascannons and Multi-Melta dreads (moving and still shooting a multi-melta is awesome). Witch hunters have Exorcists, which are a Sisters only vehicle. Even that is only Str. 8, so your only ever glancing AV14. AP1 does help tho.

How did you forget the Meltaguns? Forget Lascanons, Meltaguns are the best anti-tank in fifth edition. Average armour penetration of 15, you will penetrate any vehicle more often than not, and +1 on the damage table means you are likely to cause some serious damage. You can also take them in pairs per squad. Against walkers, an Evicerator is pretty nasty too, with an average penetration of 13 (15 with Hand of the Emperor).
Sorine
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Sorine »

Elric of Grans wrote:Personally, I cannot see it working either way. Marines would not accept being side-kicks for the Sisters, but the Sisters would not willingly work for a bunch of ab-humans. It would need some crazy fluff about the Ecclesiarchy ordering them to aid the Marines for some crazy reason that would stretch the fluff.

Or that whole Inquisition thing. They tend to grab whoever they want to fight for them. Sisters of Battle are their own army for the most part, but whenever the church or Inquisition asks them to do something, they rarely ever say "no". So Marines and Sisters fight something together, yeah its pretty easy to justify.

Elric of Grans wrote:How did you forget the Meltaguns? Forget Lascanons, Meltaguns are the best anti-tank in fifth edition. Average armour penetration of 15, you will penetrate any vehicle more often than not, and +1 on the damage table means you are likely to cause some serious damage. You can also take them in pairs per squad. Against walkers, an Evicerator is pretty nasty too, with an average penetration of 13 (15 with Hand of the Emperor).

I didn't forget Meltaguns. Meltaguns are great when your within 6" of the enemy tank (which is very easy for mechanized sister lists to do). Althought you should never take 2 per Sisters squad (minus dominions maybe). A heavy flamer and a Meltagun is the best combo for Sister squads. Back to Anti-tank tho, Lascanons have a 34% chance to pen. av14 at any range. Exorcist have a 17% chance to glance. Both are 48" range. So the lascannon is more useful for popping that big armor right away, instead of weathering the storm till your within Meltagun effective range.
I'm a veteran Sisters player, if you'd like to talk SoB or Witch Hunter tactics I'd love to help ya out. Here is a great link as well Witch Hunter Tactica - Warseer. By the way, I'm Copella on that forum.

Here is a link to some of my Sisters army: Order of Saint Coppella
Maybe something there will help inspire people to play Sisters. ;)
"Whatever I say, you will call a lie. Such a wonderful thought, isn't it my dear friend."
- Sorine Re'bane
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

The Inquisition can get anyone, but things are a little different with the Space Marines. An Inquisitor does not order them to join, he asks. Seeing as things are that way, I would personally see it as a highly unlikely event for an Inquisitor to already have a force of Sisters (and probably Guard and/or PDF) and then also request for Marine assistance. If it has got to that point, it is probably bad enough to declare exterminatus, or the Inquisition has just realised the war on Armageddon is happening --- news can be pretty slow after all ;)

Personally, I prefer to pair my meltaguns. I have tried melta/flamer squads, but I never seemed to make the to-hit roll on the meltagun when it really mattered. By pairing them, I can have a squad or two dedicated to taking out `nasties', whereas the others have dual-flamer to crush infantry.

I am a very bad player, but this is how I have found things work best for me.
Sorine
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Sorine »

Inquisitors "asking" is a nice way to put it. True it would be dire straits for an inquisitor to request such a thing. Perhaps recovery of something, where an exterminatus would be too "messy". And lets face it, when is there ever not something extremely dramatic and "possible end of times" thing popping up in the 40k universe? lol

Just send me a pm if ya want to talk shop, on Sister Tactics. I've been playing them since they had their own codex. I'm also looking forward to a rumored update of their rules in the late 09, or mid 10.
- Sorine Re'bane