Iron Without, Iron Within! the legion goes to war once more

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Iron Without, Iron Within! the legion goes to war once more

Post by Kinslayer »

After much pondering, whispering to dark gods and purchasing the plastic terminator lord and chaos warriors box sets, plus codex, im finally getting back into 40k instead of just talking about doing it. I had thought of running a red corsair list this time because of Hurons new model, but eventually decided to do iron warriors once again. I had a space marine army of 'silver skulls' before which i turned to chaos at some point about 7 years ago.

Heres my first attempt at a list :?

Chaos Lord 135
pair of lightning claws, meltabombs, terminator armour

5 Termies 225
t-l bolters, lightning claws, 1 reaper autocannon

Dread 110
plasmacannon, combat weapon, heavy flamer

10 Chaos Marines 185
heavy bolter, meltagun, icon of chaos glory, aspiring champion

2x 5 Chaos Marines 230
meltagun, aspiring champion, powerfist

2x Rhino 110
havoc launcher, extra armour

3 Obliterators 225

Predator 130
autocannon, lascannon sponsons, extra armour, havoc launcher

Defiler 150

total 1500

the only models i have actually got so far is the termie lord already painted and assembled to represent the two lightning claws, and ten marines which are still in the box (they are my task for the week). After that i hope to buy 10 more marines to split into 2 5 man squads and then the two rhinos, which will give me the core of my army. By christmas i should have that lot ready, and can work on the rest of what i need in the list above.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Okk a few things.

1: Plasma cannons on the Dread is great, but take it from experience, they hurt when they decide to shoot your own troops. Twin Heavy bolters or Twin Lascannon would be much better (lascannons if you decide to stick CSM squad with it)

2: Give your 10 man squad the Power Fist and the 5 man squads Power Swords, as with the smaller squads, you are more likely to be wiped out before you can strike.

3: Extra Armour on the vehicles really isnt worth 15 points

4: Why give your Predator an Autocannon if it has Lascannons on the sides? Either go Anti Infantry (AC and HBs) or Anti Tank (Lascannons all round). If you really want to go for versatility, go LC on the top and HBs on the sides. Also Havoc Launcher isnt going to do that much. Spend the points on another marine.

Btw, good luck getting 5 pairs of Lightning Claws for your terminators lol :twisted:
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

thanks for this help, and point taken on the plasmacannon for the dred but i think i will stick to it. I am going to order the forgeworld iron warrior dread and the plasmacannon arm looks great. I am considering giving it a missile launcher as well instead of its combat arm, would that be worth it? Power fists swap is not a problem thanks for the heads up. Extra armour can be scrapped. Predator can take all lascannons then, and also i am considering dropping the obliterators for a vindicator to make my army all-plastic!

And i did not mean a pair each, only tha lord has two. The others have one lightning claw and a t-l bolter each. Thanks
Daicon
Corsair

Post by Daicon »

You'd probably be better off keeping them with just their basic power weapons or giving the termies power fists if you want to keep the twin-linked bolters. Lightning claws only grant the extra attack in close combat when used in pairs, after all.
Almundis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Almundis »

And keep the obliterators, they're awesome.
name: Rhyithan Uematsu
WS 4 (5)
Str 4
T 4
Dxty 2
Int 5
Equipment: Longsword, Shield, Lightarmor, Seadragon Cloak, Enchanted Draich (+1 WS).
skills: Two-Handed Weapon Fighting
10gc

awesome tattoo - priceless.