Alpha Legion story

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Alpha Legion story

Post by Demetrius »

Hey everyone. Just whipped this up. Contstructive critisism appreciated, keep in mind Im not too familiar with 40K space battles. Enjoy

Alpha Legion story

Hive Vermillion burned below on Cerax IV, the virus bomb claiming the lives of 30 million Imperial citizens. Continent by continent, Cerax IV lit up in spectacular orange flames from the constant bombardment. Alpha Legion cruisers encircled the planet, annihilating at their own will. After 4 hours of constant bombardment from the weapons of mass destruction, no life whatsoever remained on the forsaken planet. This was one world that the false Emperor will never have benefit of, smirked Grandmaster Demetrius, as he sat on his throne aboard his command cruiser.

Cerax IV was part Hive world and part Forge world, the mass population accounting for the creation of 80% of the weapons, vehicles and space craft in use of several Imperial Astartes Chapters, including the Black Templars. The Alpha Legion had been in constant conflict with the Black Templars for nearly a decade, so Demetrius and other Alpha Legion generals deployed spies to root out their home world. Not long after, reports came through that the Templars didn’t have a home world, but instead had over one hundred garrison worlds for recruiting grounds. Many renegade humans were deployed on several of these worlds in the hope of being recruited as a Templar so the Alpha Legion could gain intelligence on the inside of the enemy, but Demetrius insisted to find the world which fueled the Templars. After agents finding Cerax IV, Demetrius lead a strike force on an Inquisitorial cruiser. Little resistance was met, and the Alpha Legion was able to get away with several looted virus bombs, as well as other relics that would be used for future use. The Alpha Legion then turned the weapons on Cerax IV, performing Exterminatus.

“Lieutenant, it is finished. Send word to the rest of the fleet to return the rendezvous point as soon as possible. Black Templar forces will arrive soon, and I want to be long gone before they do,” spoke Demetrius.
“As you wish, my lord,” said one of the pilot lieutenants. “Wait, what? Oh shiz, this isn’t good.”
“What is it?” Demetrius said calmly.
“Enemy ships are closing in fast sir! They are already here” the lieutenant screamed.
“Why didn’t the scanners pick this up earlier?” roared Demetrius.
“I didn’t have them activated until now, my lord. I’m sorry, I didn’t think we...”
Demetrius raised the twin bolter at his side, pumping the man with bolts. The man’s upper torso tore apart as the bolts exploded on impact.
“Activate shields, now. Call for reinforcements. Deploy defensive fighters. We don’t have enough time to escape,” ordered Demetrius. He then looked at Zawn, his body guard. “Zawn, we leave in 5 minutes. Ready the team now, we are boarding those craft.”
“Right away sir,” Zawn said a smile on his face. He was in the mood for killing Imperial filth up close and personal.
The command ship, The Pride of Alpharius, turned around to see eight crusade class cruisers crossing the gulf of space to enclose on their position. They were about 100 kilometers away, almost in range of the cannons. The Pride of Alpharius was encircled by three other Alpha Legion cruisers. They were outnumbered two to one and reinforcements were at least 10 minutes away.
“Targeters, lock our teleport homers on to the enemy command ship. I want to be boarding in one minute,” Demetrius yelled to his ship’s pilot staff.

Demetrius slipped on his helmet and picked up his demon axe, the Bliss Giver. He then walked to his personnel team of elite Terminators, the best twenty in the Legion.
“Men, all of you are worthy of these arcane suits of armour, I know that. You are the best warriors of the Alpha Legion, and are about to face some of the best of the Black Templars. Do not embarrass the Legion by being bested by them. Slay them all and show no mercy! Hydra Dominatus!” yelled Demetrius. The Terminators yelled back the Legion’s war cry, Hydra Dominatus.
Suddenly, the command ship began to rumble. It had been hit by lance fire, but the high powered energy shield protected it from most of the impact.
“Send us now dammit,” Demetrius yelled at the staff. “And tell the rest of the cruisers not to fire at the Templar command ship!”

Just after he finished his sentence, Demetrius and the Terminators were sent from reality into tiny molecules, only to reappear in reality again. Demetrius saw five Black Templar Marines, quickly taking care of them with his bolter, each shot through the visor. He then scanned where he was, and realized he was on the bridge of the ship. He ordered the rest of the Terminators to move at once. Spies had given Demetrius rough interior plans of the Templar command cruiser, so he roughly knew where to go to get to the command deck.

The strike team came across a defense barricade, defended by several heavy bolters, but as soon as the barricade saw them, they closed the blast doors to block them off. All it was doing, thought Demetrius, was allowing them a few more minutes of life. He ordered Janus and Zawn to tear apart the door with their meltas, which easily destroyed the blast door. They moved through the molten slag, firing at the defensive position. Darcheve was caught by heavy bolter fire to the chest, before Zacharius took revenge on the firers. After 10 seconds, the heavy bolter emplacements were destroyed from constant bolt fire, so the Templars had to choice but to charge. They all unsheathed their swords and chainsaws and as one, ran at the Alpha Legion Terminators. Demetrius shot one through the chest before slicing through one with his blade. He then uppercutted to split a marine in half. Petrius dug one of his lightning claws into the torso of a marine, then following up he slashed at another’s body, intestines pouring out. Tatex locked swords with a marine, but his blade was hit aside and he was decapitated. Zawn smashed a marine aside with his mace, using the corpse as a shield as another marine opened bolter fire at him. Once the clip was depleted, Zawn threw the corpse away and charged at the marine, ripping off his head with the mace. Only three marines remained and they fought back to back, parrying off all attackers. Zacharius unleashed his flamer onto the three, scorching them, then assaulting them and smashing them away with his power fist.
“Quick, to the command deck,” ordered Demetrius. “We are getting close.”

The strike team continued on through the hallways under the constant eyes of skull probes that were patrolling. Suddenly, the ship rumbled, hit by lance fire.
“I told them not to fire at this cruiser!” yelled Demetrius. “Control, order every ship not to fire at the command cruiser, myself and strike team Alpha are aboard,” he spoke into his com link”.
“Apologies my lord, I will remind the fleet again,” he heard through the com link.

They kept running through the hallways until they reached the control room. Zacharius went in first, opening up with his flamer. He scorched the room constantly for about 5 seconds before having his head blown of from a bolt gun. Janus and Petrius moved in next, followed by Katran and Demetrius. Janus turned a marine into slag with his melta, then leapt over and sprayed bolt rounds into marines, not killing any. Petrius charged in, slashing at a countercharging marine. Demetrius leapt through, embedding his blade in a marine’s skull. Bolt rounds smashed into his armour, but it was not pierced, so he came forward even more, ripping apart marine after marine. Katran moved over to the command deck, pumping all of the unarmoured pilots with bolts.

A Black Templar Marshall pushed through several marines, spotting Demetrius and recognizing him as the leader. He moved towards him, power sword in his right hand. Demetrius accepted the challenge and countercharged. They both swung at each other, locking blades. Demetrius broke the clash, swinging down at the Marshall who side stepped to dodge the blow. He then slashed at Demetrius’s side, but the Grandmaster of the Alpha Legion’s extraordinary reflexes allowed him to put his demon axe between him and the Marshall’s sword. He smashed it aside before slashing at the Marshall’s throat of which he avoided by millimeters. The Marshall one handedly swang his sword but missed clumsily, allowing Demetrius to down cut the Marshall’s shoulder. He then pulled the demon blade out of the wound, and even though the wound was not overly deep, the Marshall fell to the ground and began having a fit. He went into a coma that he would never awaken from, caused by the Bliss Giver. Demetrius smiled as he had bested yet another of the Imperium’s heroes.

Demetrius observed that the fight was over and all of the Terminators had been watching the clash of leaders. He turned to Petrius.
“Lieutenant, how many casualties all up?” he asked impatiently.
“Just four my Lord, and many of the Templars,” Petrius told. “Three have injuries also, but nothing serious.”
“Good. Get everyone ready to return to The Pride of Alpharius,” ordered Demetrius.
“Sir, we aren’t going to destroy the rest of the ship and board the others?” asked Petrius.
Demetrius looked at a control panel. “According to this, they only have two ships left, this, and another cruiser. Our cruisers must have caused a lot of damage,” he told Petrius. “I have a plan for the other ship.” He then moved to one of the control panels and found a vox emitter. “Fellow Templars, we have repelled the Terminator strike force. We have also learned the Alpha Legion have corrupted the Flame of Contempt. They are about to open fire upon us. Turn every battery available onto it and tear its treacherous hull into oblivion!” Demetrius then turned to Petrius.
“Brilliant plan, sir, but I think we should be leaving now,” Petrius said.
“Affirmative. Let’s move!” Demetrius said.

The strike force reappeared on The Pride of Alpharius. He looked over to see a ship commander running to him.
“What is the damage, commander?” asked Demetrius.
“We have taken moderate damage, shields are gone, engines are damaged, but we will hold. Two more cruisers have just engaged the two remaining Templar ships,” answered the Commander.
“Cancel that. I have a treat for you, and the rest of the fleet, to see,” Demetrius smirked.
“As you wish my lord,” the Commander replied, slightly confused.
They looked through the command observation deck to see the two remaining Templar cruisers opening fire on each other at point blank range. The Alpha Legion sat back and laughed as their enemy tore themselves apart.
Rangeltoft
Noble

Post by Rangeltoft »

I like it, a good read with a nice twist at the end.

only really one part that i dont like and thats the "oh, shiz.." dialoge.sure, it could happen, but it seems abit odd not to have the scanners on, since they were attacking a planet..and why didnt the other ships pick up the BT fleet on thier scannars?

Oh, and let me guess, your Chaos Lord has mark of slaanesh ingame?
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Heh, I have the same thing to say as my Swedish fellow here. It does look a bit odd not to have scanners on but I let you get away with it because even CSM are Mon-Keigh after all (;)).

But having a Chaos Space Marine say "Oh shiz" just sends me the wrong vibes :D Now that's something that just doesn't happen :D IMHO he should have said something about damning the loyalists or the failing electronics... But "oh shiz"? Just a minor little detail in an entertaining story (with a happy ending) but somehow, I oculdn't get it off my mind :)
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

The reason is that they were too busy enjoying destroying the planet to realise, and I meant long range scanners, Im sure they would have had short range ones on to detect fighter groups that escaped before the planet was destroyed... lol probably a little bit stupid but anyway

Yes my Lord has MoS in game :D