Dreadnought Space Marine List - 2000 points

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Dreadnought Space Marine List - 2000 points

Post by Kefka »

So I love the Dreadnought Models and their versatility, so I am trying to utilize them is my army. Using the Master of the Forge to let me take up to 6 dreadnoughts!
This list is set for 2000 points, but can be brought down to 1750 by removing one of the Forge Masters.

Master of the Forge
Conversion Beamer
5 Servitors
Plasma Cannon
Heavy Bolter

Master of the Forge
Storm Bolter & Thunder Hammer
Digital Weapons
5 Servitors

5 Scouts
Sergeant w/ power weapon

10 Space Marines
Flamer
Sergeant - Plasma Pistol

10 Space Marines
Flamer
Sergeant - Plasma Pistol

Venerable Dreadnought
Twin Linked Lasscannon
Twin Linked AutoCannon
Extra Armour

Venerable Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
Missle Launcher
Extra Armour

Venerable Dreadnought
Heavy Flamer x2
Drop Pod

Ironclad Dreadnought
Heavy Flamer x2
Drop Pod

IronClad Dreadnought
replace storm Bolter w/ Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod

Thunderfire Cannon

This is my first list, and it's late, so it probably isn't too great. I know my Troops choices are a bit thin, I am deciding whether:
A) the 2 10 man marine units split into 4, 5 man marine units
B) I take out one master of the forge and add more troops
I am also juggling with the dreadnoughts, debating between Venerable Dreadnoughts and Ironclad Dreadnoughts and which is better. (Venerable have higher BS/WS and their venerable rule, Ironclad have better armour/Seismic hammer are cheaper and can take Iron-Clad assault launchers).

Any help with this list would be greatly appreciated!

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Rangeltoft
Noble

Post by Rangeltoft »

Not sure its legal.. But that depends on whats your view on the servitors are.. With Honour Guard and Command Squad it says that they doesnt count as a HQ. But it doesnt say that for the servitors and they are not like the old retinue, since it doesnt say that either.

As for the list itself..
First off: You're mixing the wrong weapons on your Venerables, Aassault cannon should go with autocannon and lascannon with missile launcher, since then they will be effective versus the same targets.

I would lose the servitors (even if they would turn out to be legal). Well, they are not that effective anymore. That would save you a few points.

Drop one of the MotF aswell, dont really need two.
drop the plasma pistols aswell, better to get a power fist or power weapon for those sergeants.

That would give you 335 points to spend (if you give the sergeants power weapons). Now, these points should go into more troops or atleast some speed for those you have. Because one of the things you miss are speed.

Something that could be cool to use with a dread heavy army would be to use bikers for troops, but then you would need to rework the list completly.

hope i've been to some help.

/Cheers Rangeltoft
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Okay, re-vamped it a bit. I really like the Bike Troops idea, so I went with that. It actually makes my fluff and chapter idea look better:

Space Marine Captain
Power Sword
Artificer Amour
Bike

Master of the Forge
Storm Bolter & Power Weapon
Digital Weapons
Space Marine Bike

5 scouts
Sergeant - Power weapon

5 Space Marine Bikers
Attack Bike
Sergeant - Power Weapon

5 Space Marine Bikers
Attack Bike
Sergeant - Power Weapon

5 Space Marine Bikers
Attack Bike
Sergeant - Power Weapon

Venerable Dreadnought
Twin Linked Lasscannon
Missle Launcher
Extra Armour

Venerable Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
Missle Launcher
Extra Armour

Venerable Dreadnought
Heavy Flamer x2
Drop Pod

IronClad Dreadnought
Drop Pod

IronClad Dreadnought

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Rangeltoft
Noble

Post by Rangeltoft »

looks good, but I would remove the storm bolter from the MotF, really no need for it on a bike. As for your captain, well a relic blade wouldnt hurt, and if you drop the storm bolter, the artificer armour and the power weapon you could afford it.

I would suggest that you drop two venerables down to standard dreads, to get some special weapons and power fists for your bikers. And why do you have the missile with the assault cannon? As for the venerable with dubble heavy flamers, is he really needed? wouldnt it be better to keep the mulit-melta for some anti-tank? Oh, and I hope the last Ironclad has a drop pod aswell

All in all, the list looks nice, glad I was to some assistance.

/Cheers Rangeltoft
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Oops, the last dread does have a drop pod...
I will make some tweaks to your suggestions (as the bike army was a great idea!)
I have a few people telling me a Dread with assault cannon/missile launcher is a great combo, but a few say it's bad. I think I'll test it out a bit before I make a decision on what to change it too.

But yeah, thanks for all the help. I'm much better at fantasy lists then 40k (even though I started as 40k...)