1.5k Chaos Space Marines – Skulltakers

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Kolfrosta
Slave (off the Altar)

1.5k Chaos Space Marines – Skulltakers

Post by Kolfrosta »

Well I have recently accepted a challenge to start and paint a themed 1.5k Chaos Space Marine force within two weeks of purchasing the first models. :twisted: This challenge has come about from my reputation for how quickly I painted (and, according to my friend, "painted well") my LotR Isengard and WHFB Asrai armies. This will be my first 40k army although I do have a few games under my built from borrowing one of my friend's army so I have a basic understanding of the game system.

Right from the start I want to keep the army affordable and the model count reasonable. I'm thinking about going with a Khorne themed force (the Skulltakers legion to be precise) so here is what I came up with:

Skulltakers
HQ
Chaos Lord [140]
– Mark of Khorne – Bloodfeeder

Elite
Possessed Chaos Space Marine x9 [264]
– Khorne Icon

Chosen Chaos Space Marine x10 [280]
– Khorne Icon – Meltagun – Plasma Gun – Plasma Gun – Plasma Gun – Plasma Gun

Troop
Chaos Space Marine x10 [195]
– Khorne Icon – Meltagun – Flamer

Khorne Berzerker x8 [243]
– Skull Champion – Power Fist
– Chaos Rhino

Khorne Berzerker x8 [243]
– Skull Champion – Power Fist
– Chaos Rhino

Heavy Support
Chaos Predator [135]
– Turret-mounted Twin-linked Lascannon – Heavy Bolter Sponsons

[1,500] Points

I am curious to know how competitive this list will be against the other stuff that is out there. My region has a lot of Space Marine (surprise surprise) and Eldar players. :evil:

Comments and suggestions are welcomed! :)
Last edited by Kolfrosta on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Both lists are very boring IMO. There is no flavour, just lots of plaque marines or noise marines. I think 4 units is more than enough, which will free up points for cool things like Obliterators, raptors, or more importantly tanks. At least 2 units in each force needs Rhinos, as they are the best use of 35 points.

However if your set on these lists, I like the Death Guard list better. Get Forge World PMs, I got some and they look so dam good.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

My tendency is always towards slaanesh (the concept of nurgle is just plain wrong *shudder*), but then I play loyalists and not chaos so I should despise the whole lot (I guess it's the depraved dark elf deep inside me...).

I have to agree with demetrius. Both lists are very plain. I'm not entirely sure how and if sonic blasters have any effect on vehicles, but if they don't (after all, they're just big ghetto blasters, nothing more... and whoever heard of a ghetto blaster taking a tank apart...). So you'll need something in the way of anti-armour I'd say. And you might also want to add a little more flavour (I for one, despite being loyalist, like the looks of obliterators and chaos terminators), so why not go a little out of your way to add some more variety. That would make for a more interesting list and game for sure.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Kolfrosta
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kolfrosta »

Thanks for the responses. I completely agree with both of you. In my effort to reduce costs I managed to create two very boring armies. :( Even if they are competitive they would be pretty stale to play.

Hmm... I'm going to switch gears. I have a new force up that has more variety but will also be pretty affordable to get together as well.

Let me know what you think and thanks again for the responses! :)
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

The new list is better, but I still think that the list is far too slow. Raptors or Terminators would be a good investment instead of a marine unit. 3 big units of CSM is enough to hold objectives IMO, especially when two of them are Bezerkers.

Anderson- Sonic Blasters are bolters that can be assualt 2 or heavy 3, so no anti tank capabilities basicly.
Kolfrosta
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kolfrosta »

Those options will put me beyond my budget range. :( I could make one (or both) of the Chaos Space Marine units chosen if your concern is getting across the board quickly.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Chosen wouldn't be too bad an idea actually, give them 5 plasmas or simular and watch them tear through enemy infantry, add a melta to give AT if you feel the need.
Kolfrosta
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kolfrosta »

It will prove tricky to get four plasmas with the box sets I will be buying (stupid GW). :roll: However, I know a way that I can get a hold of two space marine plasmas. Adding some spikes should be enough to turn them into Chaos plasmas. ;)

Anyway, new list is up.