1500 points of Saim-Hann Skyhunters (v.9.1)

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

1500 points of Saim-Hann Skyhunters (v.9.1)

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Okay, my *ahem* famous Saim-Hann Skyhunters founded by Farseer Hu'aves the Dauntless has evolved quite a bit since its birth in Spring 2000. In this latest incarnation (9th generation, so to say) the list features Avatar of Khaine instead of an Autarch - if only to include something durable and strong instead of S3 T3 heroes with 3+ save.

Especially at the end of this crappy day I am feeling myself rather stupid posting yet another Eldar list on D.net since the earlier ones haven't gathered much attention at all. I guess that's because they have all been so damn good but I don't know... Even though D.net seems to include a relatively large number of Dark Eldar and Eldar players not many are interested in posting lists or replying to them - please prove me wrong :)

Enough useless ranting, I think, let's get on with the list (not that most of you would have read the above anyway...). This is for a highly competitive tournament which I'm not too familiar with in 40k so please tear this thing apart, I can take hard criticism so no need to hold back.

Farseer
Jetbike, Runes of Warding,
Mindwar, Fortune, Spirit Stones

2 Warlocks
Jetbikes, Destructor, Enhance

5 Rangers

5 Rangers

3 Jetbikes
Shuriken Cannon

3 Jetbikes
Shuriken Cannon

7 Harlequins
Shadowseer,
6 Harlequin’s Kisses

3 Shining Spears
Exarch with Withdraw

3 Shining Spears
Exarch with Withdraw

7 Warp Spiders
Exarch with an additional deathspinner
and Withdraw

War Walker
2 Eldar Missile Launchers

1497 + Singing Spear for one Warlock?

I think it has a nice balance of shooting and close combat power while remaining fast enough to control the flow of the game a bit. I’m trusting that my new purchase, namely the Avatar, a lot and while I have only tried him once, I think we have a long friendship ahead of us. One thing I’m not too convinced about is my anti-tank – the miniature Seer Council is not afraid of carving vehicles open close and personal but other them and my Walker, there’s very little to threaten any vehicles.

Also, I’m afraid I’m not 100% sure of the points costs since I have made the list without my codex.

Thank you in advance for any criticism from any player that has at least some gaming experience.
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Oscar1492
Dark Rider

Post by Oscar1492 »

yer thats ok but those guardian jetbikes are to easy to take down (speaking from my experience as a necron player versing eldar) you gotta imagine that the majority of armies you will come up against in the tournament are space marines or chaos that have 3+ armour saves so you need a group that is able to deal with them and other 3+ armour saves. Again from personal experience i have found that a volley from a 5 man squad of Dark Reapers can really ruin anyones day so you might want to consider putting a squad of them in your army for some anti-everything support :D

Also i have found that the avatar works best after waiting a turn or 2 to reveal himself (my regular opponent has eldar and has learnt that keeping his avatar away from prying eyes for 1 or 2 turns is a good move so it doesnt get the shiz shot out of it and once there are some men in the way to give him some cover then move him up and let the slaughter begin)

thats all i can think of right now i hope it helps :D tell us what you think about that?
If you ever need anything, please dont hesitate to ask someone else first.

Khel wrote: I mean come on. He had WS9 and they gave him a "Sword of Lame Anus Cheese"?

Mr Shadow wrote:In fact it's just like making love; down, left, turn 45 degrees and engage rotor
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

those guardian jetbikes are to easy to take down (speaking from my experience as a necron player versing eldar) you gotta imagine that the majority of armies you will come up against in the tournament are space marines or chaos that have 3+ armour saves so you need a group that is able to deal with them and other 3+ armour saves.
Oho, that would be the first time I hear Jetbikes are easy to take down! :) How do you mean? I think they are rather resilient... It may be that they have just grown on me so that I put them in without thinking, they have formed the backbone of my Eldar for 10 years! I agree that they are not horribly efficient at taking down Marines but they do shine against Tyranids and Orks which are also popular in tournament environments(?). Also incredible at objective capturing :)
from personal experience i have found that a volley from a 5 man squad of Dark Reapers can really ruin anyones day so you might want to consider putting a squad of them in your army for some anti-everything support :D
Actually the v9.0 included 3 Reapers + Exarch w/ Tempest and Crack Shot instead of Harlequins... What do you think?

Also i have found that the avatar works best after waiting a turn or 2 to reveal himself (my regular opponent has eldar and has learnt that keeping his avatar away from prying eyes for 1 or 2 turns is a good move so it doesnt get the shiz shot out of it and once there are some men in the way to give him some cover then move him up and let the slaughter begin)

Thank you! So far I have only used (proxyed) Avatar in one game so that piece of advice will probably prove invaluable! :)

So should I trade the Harlequins for 4 Dark Reapers? I do prefer CC over shooting and I think that the Harlies would be a bit more flexible but...

What about then making the Reapers a bit less expensive and dropping 3 Jetbikes in favour of an Avenger squad? I might even add a 4th bike to the remaining Guardian Jetbike squadron to make them a bit more resilient.

Taking 3 Reapers w/ Crack Shot Exarch and dropping the other squadron of Jetbikes I would have 119 points left for the Dire Avenger squad..

What do you think about the Singing Spear issue? I'm not too convinced about them especially on Farseers since they take away the possibility to cast spells. On Warlocks they take away one attack but actually lessen the need to engage a vehicle in CC...

Thanks for the advice, oscar! I see that you have some experience regarding the Eldar ;)
Oscar1492
Dark Rider

Post by Oscar1492 »

haha yer out of my any games eldar would make up about 85-90% :D

3 jetbikes are too easy to take down i have found that 5 are a real anoyance and are great for last minute objective taking

well you dont want to take the harlequins down to too low of an number caus then they become an easy target and are "easy" to kill

yer i find "naked" dark reapers with an exarch are still a potent combo

Khel wrote: I mean come on. He had WS9 and they gave him a "Sword of Lame Anus Cheese"?

Mr Shadow wrote:In fact it's just like making love; down, left, turn 45 degrees and engage rotor
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

haha yer out of my any games eldar would make up about 85-90%
Hmm... That must be Australian language because I couldn't understand it at all :D Must get Layne here to help... ;)

Yep, I agree that especially when given Kisses and Shadowseer units like 5 Harlies become too easy to take down! 7 are IMO the minimum and I planned using that as I don't have any more models...
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

I wrote:
oscar1492 wrote:haha yer out of my any games eldar would make up about 85-90%

Hmm... That must be Australian language because I couldn't understand it at all
Oh I got it :)
Oscar1492
Dark Rider

Post by Oscar1492 »

haha yer i ment to say "out of my many games" but i forgot the m :D

and yer ive only versed harlequins a couple times and those couple times i was like wow there good. the next time i versed him with harlequins i was to busy shooting them and forgot about the rest of the army lol