Necrons

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Manicelf
Slave (off the Altar)

Necrons

Post by Manicelf »

Hi,
Does anyone know of a forum like this specifically for Necrons, or any other 40K race?
Cheers!
as long as there is hate...
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

None that would be worth any serious mention that I know of, otherwise I myself would be all over it. Necrons aren't very much liked by many 40k players and those that do like them haven't become organized enough to make a competitive forum.

Maybe by the time of the new update there could be a forum with the same idea as Druchii.net for them, but that's still to be seen.

Here's hoping.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Desert Icon wrote:Necrons aren't very much liked by many 40k players

If you can't play warhammer, play 40k
If you can't play 40k, play Necrons.

;)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

40k is very simple to play compared to warhammer
Necrons are the simplest army to play in 40k
I have a budding necron army until my Dark Eldar get re-released :P
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

I believe this is the best one, The C'Tan Support Group:

http://www.pwl-tech.co.uk/csg/
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Manicelf
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Manicelf »

Thanks for the info.
I'm inexperienced with 40K... Why do many players not like Necrons? :(
as long as there is hate...
Oscar1492
Dark Rider

Post by Oscar1492 »

its caus us necron players constantly kick their ass!!!

the main reason is that the normal necron warrior is better thatn a space marine and if used properly is unstoppable

and apart from that i dont know why most 40k people hate us
If you ever need anything, please dont hesitate to ask someone else first.

Khel wrote: I mean come on. He had WS9 and they gave him a "Sword of Lame Anus Cheese"?

Mr Shadow wrote:In fact it's just like making love; down, left, turn 45 degrees and engage rotor
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

The problem is necrons are kinda boring. The models are a little stale boring, and hard to paint to look amazing.
The army itself gets a bit boring to play. It's hard to come up unique army lists with so few choices. And you ONLY have warriors for your troop choices, combined with the Phase Out rule means that they are going to be all over the place, and as I said, lists start to look the same.
I gave them a try, twice. I got bored after a few games. I like the idea of necrons, and I hope the new book has a lot of surprises in it (when and if they do it).
I don't hate facing them, once you know how a Necron army works, it;s easy to dismantle...

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

Simply, they are the most boring army to play with and against. They only have one Troops choice and one HQ choice (not including the C'tan). Plus everyone takes a Resurrection Orb (which makes for a very boring game IMO). Way to beat them usually remains the same, by phasing them out which is quite easy unless they have over 30 warriors near a res orb.

This is an opinion shared by myself and just about everyone I've talked to about it apart from the people who actually play Necrons. Most people get sick of them afer a while due to lack of variety. If you have fun with Necrons then great you are part of the minority of gamers.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

40k is very simple to play compared to warhammer

I beg to differ... True enough, warhammer does have a little more depth to it, especially with magic, but to call it "very simple" is a little stark. Agreed, it is sort of the "kid's game" or GW, or getting close to being one and I don't much like the way this game is going (when it gets to the point where ludo has more complicated rules than 40k I will have to put my foot down though... and it certainly has disturbing tendencies that way).

Necrons are very plain, that's a fact. The only choice you have with their troop choices, I think, is whether you want to give them some kind of claw that makes the unit more effective against vehicles. The same is true about more or less every single other army list entry as well, so the army allows very little in the way of configuration (and for me equipment is where the fun in designing an army really begins).

However, Necrons also have a few positive aspects to them, such as models that look nice, yet don't take long to paint in a nice way, and the simplicity of the army list means you can focus on playing the army rather than having to spend a long time minutely adjusting your list so that is allows you to pull off your strategy more effectively - basically you play the army rather than the list. I sometimes like that aspect (I used to borrow the necrons of a friend of mine to have a quick game with sometimes and they were fun to play with. Sadly that ain't possible no more as he lives on the other side of the world).

I don't know of any particular forums devoted to necrons only (not that there is much to discuss anyway. The two main strategies I know of are already well-known and used). But most 40k boards have a forum dedicated to necrons, like 40kOnline (linky) and Tau Online (linky)

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Mr. Anderson wrote:But most 40k boards have a forum dedicated to necrons

Yeah, more like forums dedicated to how much they dislike Necrons. But on a more serious note, I've never really figured out why people think Necrons are unstoppable. I have a friend who plays Chaos Space Marines, and I lose all the time (those guys are so cheesy!). AP3 Heavy Bolters... psh, no comment.

I do actually have fun playing Necrons, the fact that they just keep coming back and refuse to die is awesome and way better than those dirty Tyranids with their "without number" rule. Necrons also have so much firepower that it can just overwhelm anything with enough good hits. If I were to take the fluff into account, then technically I shouldn't feel so bad when I lose because they never really die, they just get rebuilt and sent into the fray again.

The only actual gripe I have with the Necrons is the fact that their book is so tiny. I mean, it's like half the size of any other book, and half of it is composed of pictures, dioramas, and crappy fluff. Well, that, and the fact that the Nightbringer sucks when you actually use him in a game (lots and lots of Lascannons = half your army dead when he explodes first turn).

I've gotta find a bigger gaming table...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I didn't mean magic phase. I meant movement phase. It has close to no meaning in 40k

advance - shoot - assault.

With every unit having 360 degree line of sight manouvering becomes redundant.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Manicelf wrote:I'm inexperienced with 40K... Why do many players not like Necrons? :(

They're still playing with like a 3rd edition codex, they're very out of date and somewhat broken/imbalanced. They'll be re-released soon though, and I'm thinking they'll be quite good. They are for the most part, a very simple army to play, forgiving (thanks to their ability to keep coming back) and very friendly to new players.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I agree with most people here in that Necrons are plain and boring. Not enough variety and every Necron list I have ever played against has basically the same setup. Its okk because I beat fairly easily with the amount of meltas and powerfists I use.

Desert Icon- Thousand Sons have AP3 bolters not heavy bolters, and cost 23 points a model and must take a champion which costs at least 70-80 points. They are not overpowered, especially if you know how to deal with them. They are also slow and purposeful= slow. You can use a monolith and a Thousand Son army has not much that can touch the thing.

Dalamar- 40k is only less advanced because there is less rules than fantasy. There is still tactics, such as unit placement of models ie where you place each individual, where fantasy you just line them up. Also, you have to choose carefully who to shoot and charge at. Things like shooting a unit with a character in it with weaker weapons first to kill the unit, then chuck a melta/ lascannon on the character. These sort of things are important in 40k and win/lose games.
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Fr0 wrote:They're still playing with like a 3rd edition codex, they're very out of date and somewhat broken/imbalanced. They'll be re-released soon though,

Something like half the armies (if we roll all Space Marines into one army) are still in third edition; Necron are just slightly more boring than the others. They are not expected to receive an update any time soon either, so Necron players are in for some serious hardship.

Demetrius the Betrayer wrote:You can use a monolith and a Thousand Son army has not much that can touch the thing.

That is true of most armies. Not everyone packs twin-linked Rail Guns ;) The trouble with a Monolith is that any half-experienced player knows to ignore it, and you now have less models he has to kill before you phase out. It does add some excellent options, but it does is also quite a risky strategy if you do not have the points.

Demetrius the Betrayer wrote:Dalamar- 40k is only less advanced because there is less rules than fantasy. There is still tactics

I would say that Fantasy Battle is more strategic, but they are both just as tactical. The main difference is that they are both tactical in different ways. Fantasy Battle is about getting the right units into the right places, whereas 40K is about getting the right model into the right places. At the end of the day, in both games, the dice can at times reward the worst of plays and invalidate the most brilliant plans!
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I didn't mean magic phase. I meant movement phase. It has close to no meaning in 40k

I wasn't only referring to the magic phase/psychic abilities either, I was just taking that as an example.

However, I do not agree that the movement phase has little to no meaning in 40k at all. I think the movement phase has a lot of meaning to it. Usually the shooting phase is what wins games and the movement phase prepares for that (movement has a considerable impact on your ability to shoot - unless 90% of your army has assault weapons and the other 10% are nigh invulnerable... go eldar :twisted: ), whereas in fantasy it is more or less the other way around (not counting combat here because either way this phase is directly based on the movement phase).

If you are used to intricately planning your movement phase you will find 40k a little bland. 40k Generally requires a different mindset as the shooting phase is where the real focus of the game is (why bother chopping someone up in combat if you've got a massive gun at your disposal. Not only is it easier to kill your opponent, but it involves considerably less risk (unless of course you are a human and try to use plasma technology). Having a heavy shooting phase in fantasy is often one of the features that make out a "beardy" army - gun lines - and thus scorned (hell, I almost feel guilty with my 50-70 RxB shots in my more or less combat-dedicated dark elf army when I play against my brother's high elves).

In fantasy the focus lies on annihilating your opponent whereas in 40k your focus lies on fulfilling the victory conditions (usually holding objectives) and only killing your opponent's army wherever it gets in your way (which it tends to do quite often, but usually my shooting phase is planned according to what I need eliminated because it is where I don't want it and not because the general idea of the game is to kill all opposition). I like 40k because it is more about objectives than about killing your opponent. And I like fantasy because it is more about manoeuvring carefully into position before executing a masterfully planned strategy. But everyone who has played eldar or dark eldar knows that the movement phase is a very important part in winning a game (or losing it, for that matter) and regarding it as meaningless will cost you the battle (imperial guard on the other hand indeed have little use for the movement phase most of the time - why move the leman russes? they cover the whole battlefield with their range anyway, and moving is a waste of petrol).

The trouble with a Monolith is that any half-experienced player knows to ignore it, and you now have less models he has to kill before you phase out. It does add some excellent options, but it does is also quite a risky strategy if you do not have the points.

I flatter myself to be half-experienced and I love taking them damn things down (fire dragons make a mess of them no matter which way you look at it), but generally ignoring it is the best way to go if your guns are able to take the necrons apart no matter where they are (and you can afford to frequently have a squad of necrons and a necronlord appear right behind your back and pump 20 rapid firing gauss weapons into you, closely followed by an ap3 weapon from the lord, because that's part of the strategy a necron player with a monolith tends to use - teleport up, rapid fire, and then teleport out of assault with the monolith - WBB is reliable enough to replace casualties that might have been taken in combat to an extend where you can ignore them).

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.