Space Marines (2000 pts, no tanks)

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Raxus
Slave (off the Altar)

Space Marines (2000 pts, no tanks)

Post by Raxus »

Before reading this list please note that almost every army I play is either Marines, Chaos Marines, or Necrons (all heavily armored). Tyranids are gaining popularity around here as well. With this in mind, here goes:

Captain [145]
-Plasma Pistol
-Power Sword
-Artificer Armor

Dreadnought [180]
-Heavy Flamer
-Twin Linked Lascannon
-Drop Pod

Dreadnought [180]
-Heavy Flamer
-Twin Linked Lascannon
-Drop Pod

Dreadnought [180]
-Heavy Flamer
-Twin Linked Lascannon
-Drop Pod

Tactical Squad (10) [185]
-Sergeant w/Power Sword
-Flamer

-Sergeant w/Power Sword
-Flamer

-Sergeant w/Power Sword
-Flamer

Assault Squad (10) [235]
-Sergeant w/Plasma Pistol
-Plasma Pistol x2

Assault Squad (10) [235]
-Sergeant w/Plasma Pistol
-Plasma Pistol x2

Land Speeder Squad (3) [270]
-Assault Cannon x3

1980 pts.

My overall goals were:
-Deploy my Dreadnoughts in strategic locations via drop pods to take out enemy vehicles/monstrous creatures and subsequently engage nearby troops
-Utilize flamers and power swords in the tactical squads to maximize efficiency
-Use the ridiculously costly (yes, I admit it) land speeder squadron to mow down infantry
-Use the assault squads as a fast striking option that can multi-task between engaging heavier troops or light-medium vehicles/creatures

I know the amount of power weapons and plasma pistols may strike a lot of you as odd but hey, it's a test concept, and even against light infantry it maximizes wounds and is compensated by the mass amount of flamers that are in this army as well. And as far as having no tanks in this army, all I can say is that I wanted to try something interesting and challenging.

It would be really cool to get some feedback on this idea.
T'keela
Noble

Post by T'keela »

Reminds me of a Black Templar army I played in the last edition. I've never used Drop Pods so I can't really offer any advice about those, but i would recommend leaving the Dreadnoughts with Assault Cannons. Due to their 'Rending' special rule they can easily cut through vehicles and infantry alike.

You could possibly field a black templar army as their special rule; 'Rightous Zeal' will allow you to quickly get into range of using your flamers and afterwards charge into combat to quickly finish the remains of the enemy squad.

So yeah hope that helps, or at least made sense! :lol:

Good luck mate.
T'Keela Darkspine
Group 30
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D4 I4
Equip: Sword, Light Armour, blackpowder pistol, 4 bullets, 2GP.
Skills:
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

No Orks? Man, I wish I played there!

I do not play Marines, but I play against them more often than not. I think the list sounds OK, but not terrifying. Drop Pod Dreads are said to be nasty, though no one ever uses it against me (Sisters), so I cannot speak from experience on that one.

I would suggest Missile Launchers for your Tac Squads. A highly versatile weapon that will add some much-needed anti-vehicle (as someone who plays mech, I find your list is a little lacking in this area). It also provides blasts against smaller bugs, and powerful shots against the bigger ones.

If Nids are becoming popular, you may want to consider Power Fists on your Sergeants (else you will likely regret it), though, the just-leaked test Codex suggests that Nidzilla will be dead at the end of the year, so you may just like to wait that one out.

I would definitely suggest a Power Fist on the Assault Sergeants. These really hurt long-range vehicles and provide a lot more flexibility to the squad. I normally find Marine units pretty weak, but Assault Marines with a Fist are a threat.

I definitely do not like all the plasma either. 4+ cover saves are the new metagame, making plasma far less valuable than it once was. Fair enough that you want to try it, but keep in mind that Plasma Pistols are a little over-costed for what they deliver.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I agree with Elric, some Missile Launchers on the Tac squads would do well, especially against armies you dont want to get close to.

Relic Blade would be best on the captain, as a CSM player I wish we had something S6 and strike at I order.

Also, the Land Speeder Squadron is too expensive for 3 A10 vehicles. Sure they can cause some damage but they are easily nullified.