Calling Ork Players! - A friend in need.

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Calling Ork Players! - A friend in need.

Post by Layne »

I have officially become a 40k player as of yesterday. Played two 1k games, the first against a bastard CSM in Rhinos army, and me without either ST's or Vendetta... Had no answer, along with C&C/Spearhead scenario, on a smallish table, I was butt buggered. But! that's not what I came to talk about.

Second game was against Orks. My friend had some nobz and a Warboss in a Trukk, with several - I think it was four - powerklaws, and another on the boss, plus one guy had the banner of +1I, and every greenie in 'ard armour. Also there was a Dread with Rokkit, a Kopta with twin rokkit, and about two dozen boys.

My infantry squads firing second rank basically flattened his boys, Vendetta blew up his Trukk and Dread, three heavy flamers and a crapload of shotguns, followed by combined assault of nine RR with Mogul, a Penal Legion and Vets killed his Nobs and Boss... eventually. The point is, it was slightly demoralising and we want to improve his list.

Any suggestions?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

could you post an exact statement of his list? i kind of get the feel of it but could you show us exactly what he had?
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Not exactly, but what I describe isn't far off. It was 10-12 Nobz in 'ard armour, 4 power klaws and one big choppa, with a warboss also with powerklaw. I'm not familiar with the Ork book but somehow he got in a banner that gave him +1 initiative. They were in a trukk with I believe, no upgrades at all. There was a Dread with Rokkit, and a Kopta with twinlink Rokkit and a buzzsaw. And I believe there was 26 boyz.

My thought was that there was too much invested in that one squad of nobz. We thought that perhaps it was too many Powerklaws, it really just gave my Humies a chance of killing someone. Also it meant he really only had one unit that needed to be worried about.

The Dread and Kopta were flat out blowing up my Chimera [they managed once they got behind it, or rather when it faced away to heavyflame some nobz]. The boys were meant to soak up fire but just couldn't soak up enough. Two rounds of second rank fire from a double infantry squad plus four krak grenades. And I only used krak because I didn't have a blast marker.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Hmm I havnt heard of the +1I banner, but its a terrible choice for that unit since Power Fists/ Klaws ALWAYS strike at Initiative 1, regardless of modifiers, so it doesn't benifit them...

Id cut back on the Nobs squad, or put them in a Battle Wagon instead of the truck to give them more protection. And 26 boys is not enough, tell your mate to get more.
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

Also when an ork plays guard it goes one of two ways: Massacer Ork Massacer Guard. there is almost no in between because either the guard player shoots him to bits on the way in or the ork gets there before that can happen. Its just unfortnate. And as demetrius has said more boys! I would always take 2 30man squads or take allot of 12 man units in truks.
-sass
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

That's what we were thinking. Less gubbinz, more bodies, more vehicles. Now he just has to build the stuff, lazy bugger.

Thanks all!
Layne

Caveat Numptor.