New Space Marine Army list for 5th ed- 1500pts

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Macharius
Trainee Warrior

New Space Marine Army list for 5th ed- 1500pts

Post by Macharius »

Just getting back into 40k from a long hiatus and put this together from my existing model inventory. Take a look and let me know if this is a viable 5th ed army list for 1500pts

HQ

Master of the Forge
pwr weapon

Chaplain
jump pack / melta bombs

Troops

10 man tac sqd
missle / plasma gun / SGT had storm bolter & pwr fist

10 man tac sqd
missle / flamer / SGT has pwr wpn and plasma pistol

Elites

Dread
Assault Cannon / Missle

Dread
Plasma Cannon

HVY Support

Dread
Assault Cannon / Fist w/ bolter

Ironclad Dread
melta / hvy flamer

Vindicator
dozer blade

Fast Attack

5 Vanguard vets
2 plasma pistols / 1 pwr wpn / jump packs / SGT has pwr fist and storm shield

that =1500pts right on

UNITS LEFT OVER

5 shooty termies with 1 assault cannon
1 TLLC razorback/ rhino
5 sniper scouts with ML

My thoughts are the MOTF goes with 1 of the tac sqds to lend combat support and be able to be in the front to fix my Dreads/Vindie

Chappie goes with the Vanguards.... should they deep strike?

4 Dreads plus a Vindie should give too many big targets to bring down in 1 turn so some should reach their lines intact

I know I got only 2 scoring units. Should I bring in 5 sniper scouts instead of the vindie to compensate?

Never played a 5th ed game yet so any hints are much appreciated

Thanks[/u]
Death is my constant companion
Slaughter, my guide
I am the blade on your neck
And the Quarrel in your back
Fear me and Tremble!!
The darkness is here

"Not quite: Hellbron - the creepy old naked lady with 7-9 x St 10 attacks and ini of 9."
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

The problem is one you have already identified; you do not have enough scoring units. Not only that but with the lack of troops you lack a massive amount of anti infantry fire power. I would add at least another two ten man tactical squads.

Personally I would cut out the Chaplin and one of the dreads and put the points into more troops so that you have more scoring units and the ability to lay down more fire power. A tactical squad in my experience is just that, it can do everything and they are well worth the cost for that reason. I have played SM through 3 editions and tactical squads have never failed to perform but relying on a few, admittedly deadly, units is just an invitation to take lots of anti tank units.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation