The DNet RPG Rules: Read First!

Create and trade characters and discuss aspects of the RPG.

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Alcing ragaholic
Lord of Mod-Assassins

Post by Alcing ragaholic »

Shandari Deathmoons wrote:Personally, I really dislike the system: it's like being told 'you can have any color you want, so long as it's black'; there's the illusion of choice, but when you look at it closely enough to make a character, you realize that there's not much.

I still fail to see the validity of this argument. Just because your equipment is the same for a class, and you have 1 minimum requirement, all those characters are the same?

-What about character background?
-What about physical despriptions?
-What about character personality?
-What about character interactions?
-What about fighting style?
-What about leadership qualities?
-What about respect for authorities?
-What about family connections?

Are all those the same because all the Warriors have to have a Strength of 3 and start with Light Armor, Shield and either a Long Sword or a Repeater?

If that is the case, I will gladly revamp the system over the next 2 weeks and put the RPG back on hold. If it causes each character to be a duplicate of the last one, I will fix it immediately, and start the RPG Dec 1st.

Let me know. I'm creating another topic.

Z
======================
<langmann> hah, I'll take florida over 10 feet of snow/day. My balls sweat and I'm cold and my back is sore from shoveling.

Join the DNet chatroom today!
Flayer
Executioner

Post by Flayer »

Hey guys, I'm glad this is getting started back up or done again or whatnot. I actually missed the old one. Give me a chance to read all the old posts alright.
Burn their villages, raze their crops, do what you will but BRING ME THEIR HEADS!
Shandari deathmoons
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shandari deathmoons »

Alcing Ragaholic wrote:
Shandari Deathmoons wrote:Personally, I really dislike the system: it's like being told 'you can have any color you want, so long as it's black'; there's the illusion of choice, but when you look at it closely enough to make a character, you realize that there's not much.

I still fail to see the validity of this argument. Just because your equipment is the same for a class, and you have 1 minimum requirement, all those characters are the same?

-What about character background?
-What about physical despriptions?
-What about character personality?
-What about character interactions?
-What about fighting style?
-What about leadership qualities?
-What about respect for authorities?
-What about family connections?

Are all those the same because all the Warriors have to have a Strength of 3 and start with Light Armor, Shield and either a Long Sword or a Repeater?

If that is the case, I will gladly revamp the system over the next 2 weeks and put the RPG back on hold. If it causes each character to be a duplicate of the last one, I will fix it immediately, and start the RPG Dec 1st.

Let me know. I'm creating another topic.

Z

I think I came across wrong... I meant that... well, never mind, really; I'm just used to far more loose systems. You've addressed all of my concerns, since... well, we can always talk to our mods, and the rules allow for nothing but growth, in vast quantities.

Besides... What if the armorer needs... say, eleven strands of raven-black hair, each exactly 5 feet long, that fell out, on their own, from the head of a virgin elven maiden, to forge his next magic weapon? And what he doesn't happen to know any raven haired elven virgin maidens with five feet of hair that falls out in 11-hair clumps? How're you going to get it, stalk some girl on the street, or ask the woman in your shop for it, in exchange for the draich she wants (plus you can take her sword and shield, too)? I know that I would trade some mundane draich for the ingredients to something far more valuable.

Basically... the 'standardized' stuff is just for chargen; day one, level 1, scene 1, who knows what customized options you'll be able to get? The 'fear' that I mentioned was that... well, that we wouldn't be able to do the customizing, then; that was it...
N£th
Trainee Warrior

Post by N£th »

Charcters will develop over time and end up being different. I think people are looking at the rules, feeling they are restrictive, when your actually restricting yourselves in the process. Do what you can with what your given!

Im all for this system, but would like my old character back if possible, if not, Damocles will need to start over again

Im with you Alcing, all the way.

-N£TH
[Warrior]- Damocles
[Stats] WS-4 D-3 S-4 T-3 I-4
[Equipment]- Long Sword, shield, armour
[Power]- 3
[Speed]- 3
[Protection]- 4
[Hinderance]- 3

.::[[>Dei Gratia<]]::.
Psychologic
Assassin

Post by Psychologic »

I really like the old RPG, but since owning my own RPG, I know how much time can go into creating something that is understandable and playable. I've never really liked this kind of RPG's but I will do my best to join one. With my newfound experience on many sites, I will hopefully join a group very soon.

Good job Alcing, just like Neth, I with you.

Psy
Erloas
Assassin

Post by Erloas »

I think with prices already assigned to items it wouldn't be a big deal at all if someone traded in a few for items of equal value to start with.

As for actually playing, I thought about it but probably won't. Since I can't descriptively write my way out of a wet paper bag, I don't think I have any hope of even beating a bretonian peseant in close combat.
Flayer
Executioner

Post by Flayer »

You've obviously never seen the peasants I've fought against.

Though I agree partly with Grothgar since he did bring up a few good points there is only so much that can be done without a massive collapse like last time. I say we work with what we've got and enjoy it to the fullest possible and knowing alcing and wraith's reputations that's going to pretty fun. Let the corpses bleed I say!
Burn their villages, raze their crops, do what you will but BRING ME THEIR HEADS!
Alcing ragaholic
Lord of Mod-Assassins

Erloas, I suggest giving it a shot nonetheless. Maybe we can improve your descriptive abilities!

Z
======================
<langmann> hah, I'll take florida over 10 feet of snow/day. My balls sweat and I'm cold and my back is sore from shoveling.

Flayer
Executioner

Post by Flayer »

Or if not you can have the honour of being Alcing's first casualty!
Damnedprince
Trainee Warrior

Post by Damnedprince »

Well, I got to say guys, after all the waiting, I'm disappointed. Sure, there's an RPG section open once again, and it seems quite well set up, but it's nothing close to the glory it used to be. What made Druchii.net RPG so great was it was so vast, so free, so unique, no other site could boast anything of it's magnitude, and it allowed for players to do anything they wanted. Heck, they could train to become a blacksmith and make money instead of fight if they chose. This new system is... well, it's exactly like every other system everyone else uses. I don't see tha appeal. I could just as soon go to Asur.org and play there, or Underempire.net and play there. I'm sorry, but there's no charm here, no compelling reason to play.

I loved the old system, where I was free to interact and explore as I chose, not hindered by anything at all, and if I so chose to go questing, I just wait for one to show up, which they often did, and join in.

It's nice to see you've got an RPG forum up and running, but to be frank, I'm not the least bit interested. I lament the loss of the system that once was, where I was just as free to recruit my own force in a dark bar, or plan my own politics and ambitions. I could create my own guild in due time, my own army, do as I will.

Now I'd just be another character, barely unique from the rest, playing the same quests with the same group, no real ambitions or goals.

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't do it for me. As far as I'm concerned, Druchii RPG is still down.

~DP

EDIT: and yes, if you'd care to notice, I have indeed created a character and am participating in Wraith's group. Why would I after all I said? I stand by what I said, and do truly believe the grand, wonderous Druchii RPG is still as gone now as it has been since it first disappeared, but perhaps by showing an interest in RPing period, as well as being convicted in my hopes that the old style will return, I may help influence it to come back. And let me be clear about this: I am a follower of Wraith's group, and I refuse to play under Z.
Warlord of Clan Vittsisk
Grothgar
Dark Rider

Post by Grothgar »

Hmmm... you seem to have taken over the position of "flaming rhetorical mentalist" from me, DamnedPrince... it is nice to see someone else who is not afraid to express their opinions in a public forum. I agree with all that you have said, which is pretty obvious if anyone has actually read what I have said before... but, like you, I am giving it a go with Wraith and... like you, I would not do it with any other moderator (except me lol).

Maybe I made a mistake in killing your character in the last RPG... :P
Menthil Karont
WS:4 S:3 T:2 D:5 I:4

Equipment: Magic Short Sword (2 Rings), Short Sword, Dirk, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cloak, Damaged Hat, Gaudy Ring, Emerald Ring, Diamond Necklace (Hidden), 80 Gold (In Belt Pouch)

Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Parry
Alcing ragaholic
Lord of Mod-Assassins

Also, this thread is now being locked. It is here to present the rules. Any arguments, flaming, or questions are to be henceforth sent via PM to Alcing Ragaholic or Wraith.

Thank you,

The management
======================