Can People Please Start To Make Logical Characters...

Create and trade characters and discuss aspects of the RPG.

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Daniam
Warrior

Can People Please Start To Make Logical Characters...

Post by Daniam »

I've just recently read the character creation lists and everybody is saying that their character has all of this battle experience, one even says that he is a cold one warrior. This is quit ridiculous, your character start off at the lowest level possible, why would you make it so that they are awesome, it doesnt actually make logical sense. So next time someone thinks about making a character actually think about what situation you are going to be in...you cannot make yourself a 1000 year old elf that has seen 90 000 battles because if that was the case you would be an incredible warrior. Think about it.

If a mod wants to delete this...fine, but I am sick of people giving their characters awesome descrptions that don't fit a warrior that would actually only be getting started in his training.
Drych'natach
9 Kills (I Think)
10 Gold Coins
3 Gold Bracelets
1 Gold Ring
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

The problem with these boards is that probably 1% of the total d.net population (which is about 20% of the RPG population, but there) is intelligent enough not to suffer from "hero syndrome" (basically saying that their guy whom no one has heard of before is the king of the world, or Malekith's heir, or... :roll:). The problem is that roleplaying doesn't actually appeal to other people - they don't care if they actuallly roleplay a realistic (as far as the fantasy world is concerned) character, they just want flashy bits and loud noises. Kind of like children of three, actually...
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Raziel02

Post by Raziel02 »

You have to consider that many people on the character creation at the moment are beginers, and the fact that you are essencailly selling your character its obvious that characters may seem to be over dramatic, but with time they will improve.
Hairycarey
Slave on the Altar

Post by Hairycarey »

I wouldn't say it's that bad, as long as they can come up with a reason for being so weak (One of the was greatly malnourished, for instance).

I hope mine isn't like this, if beinga slave to a sorceress is unlikely I'll change it to being a slave to an artisan or something :/
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Being a slave and a dark elf is highly unlikely. You just picked the wrong example. ;)
General Kala wrote:
Raziel02

Post by Raziel02 »

well since people think some are bad, how about giving some constructive critsimon about individuals characters, i have recently edited my character creation to try and get riid of the problem that has been identified, so have i done it right.
Hairycarey
Slave on the Altar

Post by Hairycarey »

Well... servant, then. Instead of slave :) He's a poor Dark Elf, got no noble blood in him at all.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

I'll quit spamming after this... :P

Even the poorest and commonest dark elf is wealthy by human standards, and has at least a couple of slaves working for him. Druchii do no manual labour. They train for war, and that's it.
General Kala wrote:
Grothgar
Dark Rider

Post by Grothgar »

As "A neutral shade of black" has pointed out... Druchii do not serve anyone, not even their own families. If a Druchii was so unwise as to take another Druchii as their slave/servant, and give them any duties whatsoever, then, that Druchii would not wake up the next morning. Druchii do not only train for war, they plot, scheme, murder and, yes, train for war. There is no way that any moderator will pick a character who claims, in their background, to be a slave/servant. You are just not getting the right vibe on Druchii society, kindness, love, loyalty, respect... none of these things exist... well respect does, but, it is always gained from fear.
Menthil Karont
WS:4 S:3 T:2 D:5 I:4

Equipment: Magic Short Sword (2 Rings), Short Sword, Dirk, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cloak, Damaged Hat, Gaudy Ring, Emerald Ring, Diamond Necklace (Hidden), 80 Gold (In Belt Pouch)

Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Parry
Ashnari doomsong
Highborn

Post by Ashnari doomsong »

...always?

I would think that, as sentient beings, the Druchii are fully capable of finding themselves with genuine affection for other sentient beings.
General Kala wrote:...reasons for taking Dark Riders are secondary to their unparallelled ability to rush up and shout "nah na na-naah nah", escape, and do it again...

Hairycarey
Slave on the Altar

Post by Hairycarey »

They're all rich? :O That seems kinda screwed up, to me :/

Surely there's commoners? It just wouldn't work if they were all nobles.
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

a druchii who was dirt poor would be pretty well-to-do by human standards.

I would think that, as sentient beings, the Druchii are fully capable of finding themselves with genuine affection for other sentient beings.

Sure, but if there's not much to be gained from said affection, no dice. They'd just move along. Kindnesses do exist, but it's more of a qui pro quo sort of deal rather than charity.
Hairycarey
Slave on the Altar

Post by Hairycarey »

Would a..erm... High Elf prisoner be used as a slave? 'Cause then I could have one whose been a prisoner since childhood, doesn't remember Ulthuan, thinks he's a Dark Elf etc. And after being burned and scarred, no one would be able to tell what he used to look like?

That might be a little too cliche, but he wouldn't be the traditional High Elven traitor/Undercover Shadow Warrior.

EDIT: Oh yeah, he's not a slave/servant out of loyalty or respect or anything- it's cause the sorceress could kick his ass.
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

High elves are used as slaves, and there aren't any physical differences between the two sub-races remember, those of Nagarythian stock just tend to have black hair.

one more thing I noticed, there seems to be a shortage of female characters. Maybe if you want to be a shoe-in for the next rp...
King of fools
Corsair

Post by King of fools »

I have to say most of the characters there are ridiculously over the top, i tried to make mine as realistic as possible. He isnt weak however he is not a great general who slaughters all in his path either, just a soldier that fights as well as any other druchii warrior. Some of the characters in there seem to be super powered, great and masterful. And yet the players havent the intelligence to explain why (or at least come up with a half descent explanation) thus the character cannot be that great, as a character can only be as good as the person who plays them.

It seems that no matter where i go every RPG forum i find is inhabited by imbeciles who have no idea what they are doing or have to be the best simply because they have the simple mindset of a spoiled child. It would be nice for other intelligent players to join in rather than children whose characters are best buddies with Malekith, despite the fact that if he found them as irritating as i do he would incinerate them on the spot.

Huzzah! I could kiss you. Praise be to Khaine for delivering you to us.
Strong winds, magic mists, to Asgard the Valkyries fly. High overhead, they carry the dead, where the blood of my enemy lies.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Huzzah! I could kiss you. Praise be to Khaine for delivering you to us.

Mock all you want, mysterious moderator who really ought to be indentifying himself, but he is right - a character will only ever be as good as the player behind it, and that goes through spelling, punctuation and credibility - three things majorly lacking from most of the people on the Internets.
General Kala wrote:
D-boy
Warrior

Post by D-boy »

hes not mocking he's happy some one understands them in the overpowering of the characters depatrment and it should be pale warrior because he uses red font also its probly why hes now in pale warriors group

but i've read some of the backrounds and they are silly short and uninforming but i am not the best at posting extremly long post or the best at grammer but i do my best to strech it out and explain my character in great detail. i belive mine is fine because i've left loop holes to mesure his strength.
I am the doctor of death and I have come to cure you of life

Name: Thandahr
Ws3 / S3 / T2 / D5 / I5
Equipment: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
Skills: Basic Stealth
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

D-boy wrote:hes not mocking he's happy some one understands them in the overpowering of the characters depatrment and it should be pale warrior because he uses red font also its probly why hes now in pale warriors group

Notice how the colour and more importantly, spelling and grammar are different? Right, well, that's a moderator edit. More importantly, it's a moderator edit using sarcasm. :roll:
General Kala wrote:
Morvai
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Morvai »

Sarcasm or not, the guy got straight into Pale Warrior’s RPG group after that. :P And I can’t blame him for I would have edited him in my group if I had the chance.

Also the RPG moderators can be recognised on the colour of there post. Which moderator uses what colour can be found in the character creation thread.

Morvai
Masters of Mischief (NC background)
The Black Blades (DE). W: 2 D: 2 L: 1
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Morvai wrote:Sarcasm or not, the guy got straight into Pale Warrior’s RPG group after that. :P

Argh! Okay, then, I'll STFU; Pale Warrior was sincere. :lol:

Damn you, Internet and sarcasm! :lol:
General Kala wrote:
Lamehk the slavemaster
Cold One Knight

Post by Lamehk the slavemaster »

pale warrior was sincere. true. he did indeed go into pale warrior's. i know for a fact pale warrior likes beliveable characters, I for example got in because my character doesnt have scars or tattoos, so im surprised he himself hasnt been posting on here.
The only time you need to worry is when you see a snotling with a monacle and goatee. Then; you run.
Angelus lionheart
Slave (off the Altar)
Location: Your Heart, Your Soul, Your Dreams amd Your Nighmares.

Post by Angelus lionheart »

Well actually, How do you know if the character has just started training, Someone could have trained all his life to become a warrior, or that the person has gone travelling first, learning how to battle there. Just becuase they are a low level doesn't mean they can't fight, or even travel. The mods like alot of description, which is pretty hard anyway.

Like Myself, My character has been travelling first, learnt how to battle there and ofcourse learnt about many different culture. He also gained a specail ability, I have explained this but also said that I don't have to use it if the Mod doesn't want me to. Therefore it is not seen as power gaming. Also my character does know how to fight, he just is a master at it.

You get what I mean?

~Angelus~
Seems I can't use my Sig.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgment ~ Zefram Cochrane
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

The point of this RPG is to have all of the characters basically start out as entry level combatants. They could be excellent (though not masterful) artists or craftsmen, but when it comes to combat they're all pretty green.

i know for a fact pale warrior likes beliveable characters

believeable characters are a lot better to roleplay with even when you're not a mod.
King of fools
Corsair

Post by King of fools »

Exactly, it is absolutely pointless to have a masterful character as there is no fun in it. Whats the point in playing if you can cut down every enemy you have with ease. A well travelled and experienced character doesnt fit in well with a group because he has no relevance. A team are supposed to be symbiotic and work together using their individual strengths with the strengths of their team mates to win the day. My character Andronar for example is an extremely fast corsair but physically he is rather weak. Therefore in certain scenarios he can use his speed in allegiance with the strength of a warrior.

An example would be fighting an ogre, big and strong but very slow. Andronar could dance around the ogre parrying and getting in one or two lightning quick attacks although they probably wouldnt do much damage, but they would draw the ogres attention and greatly annoy it. Whilst he has the ogre chasing him around and is drawing its attention a warrior can easily get in a powerful attack thus between them they can take the ogre out leading to a well fought and satisfying victory.

This is NOT fun however when a group are fighting this way and "Mighty Joe Powerplay" decides to leap in with lightning speed and eviscerate the ogre on his own because he is so flashy and amazing that he can take on Malekith himself *cough*.;)
Strong winds, magic mists, to Asgard the Valkyries fly. High overhead, they carry the dead, where the blood of my enemy lies.
Morvai
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Morvai »

There is only one problem with your strategy Axel and that is that you will be facing opponents on your own.

You can think that you can rely on your team but this is still the druchii society and working together isn’t very typical in there.

Also a mayor problem is facing one of your own team-mates in combat. I know for a fact that PW likes it when his team fights amongst each other. He even likes it that much to get one of them killed by one of the others.

So, someone with your stats and strategy can better be ‘mister nice-guy’ or he can have a very short life. Now that we speak of your short life, welcome in group 3 :lol: . I will be waiting for you there. :twisted:

Morvai
Masters of Mischief (NC background)
The Black Blades (DE). W: 2 D: 2 L: 1