I've just realised, I have no idea how this game works.

Create and trade characters and discuss aspects of the RPG.

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Javert
Beastmaster

I've just realised, I have no idea how this game works.

Post by Javert »

I've recently posted a character in the character creation thread, but I realised that I have no idea how this game works. The stickies on rules just give you a list of what the weapons, items etc. do and tell you how to create a character - they don't say how the game works. I looked at a few pages of the group threads in the roleplaying forum and I can't see any game element in it, other than the Moderator either summarizing what they did during their posts or telling them what were the consequences of their actions, I'm not really sure. Could someone possibly explain how the game works?
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

It's refreshing for someone to just come and ask. ;) You are correct that there is no clear-cut place where the system is explained, so allow me to help you on your way and put the documentation on my to-do list.

The game is freeform; there are very few rules and your possibilities are as endless as your imagination. As far as the players are concerned, there are no dice rolls, no formulae, no exploits. Your actions are decided on by you, their results depend entirely on the host.

Posting quality partly determines the outcome of your actions. If the host believes you've done a stellar job on a post, he may let you get away with an incredible stretch. If you are in the habit of writing grammarless gibberish, you may push when the door says pull.

The numbers and lists that we do have are for reference, comparison, and fairness. No-one can make a better character than anyone else. Someone with a dexterity score of four will have better odds at escaping a bond than someone with a score of two.

If any part of this was vague, feel free to ask as needed. :)
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

Ok, I think I have a pretty good idea of how thinks work now. But what I still don't understand is the reasoning behind for example giving weapons statistics - I suppose this could be an aid in telling the player the exact capabilities of their weapons - but why is there a cost if it's just freeform play; surely if you came across a shop during the game and you weren't something like a peasant you could buy anything you want, well, to a reasonable extent.

So basically, the game is as I understand it, just a given scenario and the actions your character would take in that scenario. Is the story entirely dictated by those playing it, or does the moderator for example make NPC posts dictating what happens?
Lot1loe
Executioner

Post by Lot1loe »

It is quite refreshing to have someone ask. Stats for weapons are once again for reference, and the cost for weapons is so we mods know what to price things at. Obviously these can change depending on what happens in the game, but they are a good baseline. Also, several mods do use some behind the scenes dice rolling to help them stay fair, but the results are modified to based off your posting quality, and this is still the most important factor.

As for the story itself, that and all of the NPC are dictated by the mod. Our modposts serve both to let you know of the results of your actions and to move along the story. Now these stories are somewhat flexible to account for player actions, but generally speaking the only thing player actions affect is how you move through said story, what kind of character you are, and whether you succeed or not (basically if your stupid or your posting isn't up to snuff you die).

Also, I posted a comment for your character, so you may want to check it out.
Name: Dareth Hellscar
Class: Trainee of Khaine
Stats: WS5 S4 T3 D4 I2
Skills: Two weapon fighting, Uncontrolable frenzy
Equipment: Short sword, Dagger
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

Thanks for the explanation and comment LOT1LOE. I think I've got a pretty solid understanding of the game now.