RPG Suggestions

Create and trade characters and discuss aspects of the RPG.

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

RPG Suggestions

Post by Kinslayer »

If you are new to the Druchii.net RPG please see here to learn how to play, and go here to create a character.

If you already have some experience playing in the RPG and have found a few kinks in the system, skills missing from the skills list, or generally just have any other kind of suggestions to put forward to the RPG moderators, then this is the place to do it. Please make any suggestions down below, and we the RPG Mods will discuss your ideas and then give feedback. Hey, if we like them enough, we might even make them official changes!

Please only use this thread for well thought out suggestions, and if you have good reasons to back up your claims. We don't want to see a new members first post on the site being a demand for a "Godlike" Skill!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanks for the very clear RPG's organization.
The suggestions below aim just at squaring things it one step further. It is not necessary, but it should make life even easier.

Remarks:

RPG Introduction.
RPG Rules and Introduction last hyperlink to Helpful Phrases and Names is empty.
This thread could be given the title of: "Read-me-first: RPG Rules and Introduction".

Character creation.
Character Creation is well explained, with:
1. procedure
2. equipment (or rather, battle equipment)
3. skills.

I would expect that Sample Character Paths be the 4th post and Mage Class Characters and Magic rules be the fifth, rather than two independant one-post threads.
Also, the link to Helpful Phrases and Names would be expected at the end of the first post of that thread.

Character summary.
I noticed long ago that many RPlayers add a summary of their character to their signature.
I've seen nowhere in RPG rules that it was mandatory or recommanded.

Pros. I acknowledge that it helps the reader (and even the writer!) to remember who is acting and what are his main characteristics.

Cons. I don't like, however, the cumbersome signature which is visible also in all the non-RPG threads the player writes. Also, if the RPlayer participates to two different RPG, it becomes confusing.
Finally, it is not completely standardized.

My way to solve that was the following:
- I copy/paste my summary at the end of my posts rather than have it automatically inserted into my signature, in order to keep that signature in one line as I like it, and not to encumber the other forums with irrelevant information.
- If I were to have simultaneously two running characters (which I don't plan ATM), only one would show up in each thread.
- If anyone in the future was to read the long finished story, he would have the information about the character still in there.
Of course, for someone who's main contribution to D.net is the participation to a single RPG, using the signature is the most appropriate, so I do not suggest that my procedure became mandatory; at least, I wish it was an agreed practice.

Suggested standardization: I like to keep administrative information as compact as possible.

I used this format:
"Name" (Group xx) - "Class/Path" - WSx Sx Tx Dx Ix
Skills: ...
Battle equipment: ... Inventory: ...

Rationale:
- When the group starts, or for readers external to the group, it is nice to remind the class of each character.
- First comes the character's identity, which will not change.
Next are the skills, which improve slowly.
Last is the inventory, which changes as the story unfolds.
The colour helps to identify who's talking with a single eyesight, while strolling across the thread.

I considered to enrich the equipment's description with its characteristics, such as: Bastard Sword (P4S3), Crossbow (P4S2R5), Light Armour (P2H1). But as nobody does it, it probably doesn't help the mods that much.

May I suggest to add, at the end ofCharacter Creation's first post, a few recommandations about the character's summary?

Thanks for the RPG modding.
Last edited by Calisson on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Thanks Calisson, I will take these suggestions to the other moderators and see what is said.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, that’s me again! :D
This time, I will make suggestions about the magic system.

I’ve read the rules for magic and the Discussing magic thread.
I have to admit that having total liberty for casting a spell is appealing.
On the other hand, the task for the RPG mod, to evaluate how powerful the spell is, seems extremely vague (see Tarbo’s post).

I’d like to introduce an adaptation of a system I used for RP years ago, which provides a precise scaling of what can be done, while leaving lots of freedom.
That would not modify the slightest the way magic is performed nowadays, but just provide some guidance in order to standardize the power it can achieve.

EDIT: see TMRS.

Additional Lores.

I miss Dark Magic. The art of magic deception, treachery, hatred and pain.

Also, using the suggested guidance above, the "Lore" of Khaine could be treated like an equivalent to magic (forgive any unintended blasphemy).
Accessible to Khainites only, level 3 accessible to Death Hags only.
Khaine's gifts would be the level 1 (self improvement), Khaine's blessings would be the level 2 & 3 (group's improvement).

Finally, if ever non-druchii characters are to be considered, then it could be worth assimilating the two following "Lores" to magic-like rules:
Sigmar’s prayers (level 1 for flaggies, level 2 for warpriests; limited to Empire)
Engineering (only Dwarf, Empire or Skaven mad scientists).
That could be used if ever we were to propose an intersite RPG with Warhammer-Empire, Bugman's or Underempire (or all of them).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}