Group 18

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Realising he had tried to get the information about drugs out of Gaal to soon, Khaina knew he was one for fighting and not one for detective work. Luckily, Gaal did not seem put off by his request, instead she simply led him to her slave pits. As they passed human, elf, dwarf and orc slaves, plus more exotic species, the smell got worse. Eventually, he was standing over the pit of mutants clearly mutated beyond repair and marked by Slaanesh.

"That's interesting... that's very interesting. I already told you, I do not seek out slaves for my mistresses this day, but the state of this bunch could help me out in my search for the other thing. Where did you say you got these specimens? As well as your own name been mentioned, I was told the chaos worshippers could help me find these narcotics. If you can provide me any information, I am sure I can stain the altars with some chaos blood, and load your pockets at the same time."
Brydson
Dark Rider

Post by Brydson »

Karios left the tavern in a hurry, his pride stinging from the insult and threat from the bartender. Not wishing to fight the two thugs, guessing he would lose, he kept his mouth shut until he got outside, at which point he let out a stream of curses and spat into the street as he stalked off, looking up at the tavern sign as he did so. The Vulture's Nest... He made a mental note of the name, reassuring himself that as soon as he got the chance he would return and murder the three of them in their sleep.

Contemplating which way to turn next Karios halted. He realised he was lucky to have walked out of that situation with his arms still attached and now began to feel hesitant to try his luck again. As he was wondering what to do a voice called out his name from the door of the inn. Karios spun round, his hand on the hilt of his sword. He relaxed slightly when he saw that it wasn't one of the bartender's lackeys, but a worn out looking junkie. Karios kept his distance and listened to the young Elf's gushing plea, silently repulsed by his emaciated appearance. He saw something reflected in the youth's eyes and realised he must not have been far off this stage himself when something had snapped him out of his addiction.

His eyes widened slightly as the youth went on to invite him to read some of his works. He'd almost forgotten about his poetry, and frankly couldn't remember any of it in detail. He only knew that in a moment of clarity he had recoiled from it as the work of a mind on the brink of madness, touched by the warp. With a smirk he realised his misadventures over the last few years had left behind another legacy and that perhaps he had attained some level of celebrity.

He looked shrewdly at the youth for a moment before replying. He didn't look the sort to be involved in smuggling directly but Karios guessed if he had Lotus Juice and other susbtances in his rooms he would probably know where to find someone who was. He resolved to go with the youth and read some of his own poems but politely decline any new ones, since there was no way he could reproduce those works without serious intoxication (of this he was sure). Realising he had been quiet for a few seconds after the youth had finished speaking, he responded.

"I'd be glad to, my friend! An artist always likes to meet those who appreciate his work, and the enlightened are so few in this dismal place. Lead on."

Karios hoped he wasn't walking into another spider's web. There were a number of difficult considerations here... One being the fact that he was entirely unwilling to take any sort of intoxicating substance which could cause problems with a group who had certain expectations, the other being that they may actually have some of this new frenzy inducing chemical around the place, the thought of which made Karios clench his fists subconsciously as if expecting a fight. He also hoped that the junkie did have some of his old works there because Karios could no longer remember them in any detail and felt that with a clear head he couldn't sufficiently improvise one.

And on top of all that, temptation scratched and clawed at his resolve like a wolf at the door, whilst the cold, vague fear which was now becoming familiar rose in his stomach, floating there and remaining indistinct for the time being.
Kiaron hebleth
Black Guard

Post by Kiaron hebleth »

Sorry for the delay, but I'd like to wait for Javert to post before we proceed. I'll have to wait anyway becasue Zarloyth and Ghost are together.
Character Name: Dah'menk

Stats:
WS5 S3 T2 D4 I4

Weapons: Long Sword, shield, light armour, corsair handbow, 5 clips of ammo, excellent quality knife, small knife.

Character class: Warrior
Skills: Defensive fighting

RPG Group 18 mod
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

OOC: Sorry for not posting, I haven't been feeling too good these past few days.

Ghost felt that he wished his words were not wasted when talking to the sergeant before - and it didn't look like he could win the sway of this man in this scenario at least and so, to appear as such, he raised his hand eagerly. He would find time to gain his trust later - but it was disappointing to start from being not trusted at all.
"Ghost"

WS: 5
S: 2
T: 2
D: 5
I: 4

Skills: Basic Stealth, Stealth.
Inventory: Shade Cloak, Short Sword, Repeater Handbow, Legran's Token, Six Daggers, 65.5 Gold, Thieves' Tools, Wrist Blades.

Group 19 Moderator
Kiaron hebleth
Black Guard

Post by Kiaron hebleth »

Sorry for the inactivity guys, I've been sick for the last few days (lousy winter). I'll try to have a new post up soon, and it'll be a monster to make up for this idleness.

Stats:
WS5 S3 T2 D4 I4

Weapons: Long Sword, shield, light armour, corsair handbow, 5 clips of ammo, excellent quality knife, small knife.

RPG Group 18 mod
Brydson
Dark Rider

Post by Brydson »

OOC - Taking advantage of the lull, and since Heartrender's thread over in Off-topic is drawing all the name-changing fire... I've jumped on the band wagon and changed mine too. Basically I was tired of username being the same as my RP character. The illness seems to be going round, I've had an evil cold since my last post, so no worries.

OOC - Oh god, what have I started... ~ Pyro
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

OOC: This name-changing stuff is contagious, I changed mine because I felt like it ^.^. And I haven't been sick yet! HA! I'm impervious to disease! * offers a silent prayer to father Nurgle *
Name: Zarloyth Class: Warrior
WS:5 S:4 T:3 D:3 I:3
Skills: Powerful Kick
Equipped: Mail Skirt, Greataxe, 2 Long Knives, Sea Dragon Cloak
Inventory: Full Plate, Backpack, Cleaning Supplies, Waterskin, 3 Week's Rations, 132 gold Null Shard
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

OOC: Who is who now? I'm really confused.
"Ghost"

Inventory: Shade Cloak, Short Sword, Repeater Handbow, Legran's Token, Six Daggers, 65.5 Gold, Thieves' Tools, Wrist Blades.

Group 19 Moderator
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC -

Pyro - Khaina Heartrender
Suneater - Zarloyth Blackthorn
Brydson - Karios M'Narir
Javert - Ghost

Kiaron, you may want to copy this into the first post.
Kiaron hebleth
Black Guard

Post by Kiaron hebleth »

Captain Sloassai grinned as the final two mercenaries agreed to the terms. Welcome to the militia! We leave for your first mission immediately. Follow me.

With that he strolled casually out of the watch station, the guards marching in step behind him and the mercenaries trailing after, slightly confused by this treatment. One of the other mercenaries – a young elf wielding a chainmail shirt and carrying a worn looking shortsword – tried to talk to one of the guards but he received a venomous reply of Get away from me, begging filth! Captain Sloassai heard the outburst and dropped back to reassure the offended elf. Never mind Pifan, he’s just wary of fighting alongside people who aren’t in the guard, I’m sure you understand. After you’ve all got a few raids under your belt they’ll change their tune soon enough.

So, the mission we’re going on now is fairly routine, just to give you some feel for the job. We’ve been gathering information on cults for a while now, and we’re on our way to interrupt a meeting session of a small cult. From what we can gather they’re big on talk and small on action, mostly they sit around talking drugs or torturing slaves – getting a kick out of doing it in the name or the chaos gods, when they probably spent years doing the same thing for their own pleasure before they joined. But small fry like these are great for information, because they’ll break down and tell us all they know. A devoted heretic will die screaming the praises of their foul gods, but these cowards won’t be so dedicated. The plan is for half of us to burst in and scare them, at which point they’ll panic and run for their secret exit. Unfortunately for them we know where that is – it’s just a small tunnel leading to an abandoned building a few streets away. We’ll catch them there, drag them back to the interrogation rooms and see if they have any useful information. We’ll avoid killing wherever possible, but we don’t need them unharmed so feel free to break a few bones.

While the captain was talking the group was moving towards the residential areas of Vikarh. A group of guards on the street didn’t draw any attention here, especially not on the main streets. As they approached a small watchhouse the captain called the group to a halt.
Right, we don’t want to give the game away by marching up there in a huge group, besides which we need to approach from two different sides to catch them all. We’re going to split into three groups. Four of the mercenaries will head to the front of the building. You shouldn’t draw any attention, so you can just kick the door down and move in. Out source says that the alter is kept in the basement, the steps down will be on the right as you enter the door. There shouldn’t be too many of them – six or so.

The second group will consist of two guards and two mercenaries. They’ll hang back along the street and move in to reinforce the others a minute after they enter. This will prevent the first group from being surrounded or outnumbered, and also catch anyone who tries to run out the front.

The third group will be led by me. We’ll head over to the other end of the escape tunnel and catch any who try to get out that way. Remember – take them alive!

With that he assigned the groups. Ghost, Zarloyth, the young elf with the short sword and a feral looking female elf in some type of reptile scale armour and carrying three halfspears slung across her back were assigned to the first group. Glancing at her comrades with a disinterested air she remarked to Zarloyth I think you’re best suited to battering down this door.

The second group consisted of the hooded mercenary (carrying no visible weapons), a tall mercenary with an ugly gaping wound in one cheek (wearing leather armour and carrying a pair of matched long swords) and two guards (in chainmail, with shield and longsword) who looked decidedly unhappy with their allocation. One of them seemed to be about to object when the captain cut him off. No time! Go!

The two guards led the mercenaries down a series of narrow streets before halting at a corner. The larger of the two turned to the first group. You heard the orders. It’s the red house up there. You walk along the street like you’re taking a stroll, then rush over and break the door in. We’ll follow one minute after the door is broken. The others should be in place by now.

The four set off down the street, tense with anticipation. The young elf was looking decidedly green but the elf in reptile armour was grinning wolfishly and whistling softly to herself. Their destination appeared to be a normal house, apart from the fact that the windows were very small. As they neared the red building Zarloyth suddenly veered sideways and slammed his foot into the cheap wood. The door cracked under the impact and a second kick tore it open. Ripping out his sword the warrior charged in, the other three hot on his heels. Thundering down the stairs to their left they could hear screams of dismay and outrage coming from the basement, but one voice was clear above the clamour. Deep and melodious, it carried an unmistakable sense of power and authority. Stand fast my children, you are in no danger. My pets shall kill those who intrude upon our pleasures.

Reaching the end of the stairs Zarloyth and the young elf stood side by side in a narrow corridor, with Ghost and the spear armed elf hot on their heels. The only door in the corridor was some twenty feet in front of them and as they reached the bottom of the stairs it burst open and two deformed beasts bounded out. A hideous amalgam of humanoid and animal, they looked at the intruders without any sign of sentience, only a primitive rage. One of them had the head of an exceptionally ugly dog, and bounded forwards in a loping run, its unnaturally long forearms pawing the ground as it did so. The other appeared to be some sort of beastman, covered in dense grey curls with two yellow horns protruding from his brow. As they covered the short distance down the corridor the goat-thing let out a bellow of rage, while the dog-man began to cackle hideously. Stunned and horrified by the abominations in front of them the elves raised their weapons and prepared to meet the charge.

These slaves came in on a standard shipment from Clar Karond, along with some 200 others. What’s strange is that none of the others have shown any signs of mutation, neither those sent to other slavers, nor those I have in the other pits here. Only those in this pit.

I’m not sure how you think they can help you find any narcotics. It may be hard to tell now, but these were human when they came in. They haven’t had access to any drugs since they were captured. So if you want to buy them, they’ll be 500 each due to their unique nature. Otherwise, we have no business in speaking.

Suddenly Gaal was cut off by voices from the pit. It sounded like a small child and a diseased warrior were speaking in tandem, but the result was somehow unclean, with the high pitched childish squeaking grating harshly alongside the rumbling flem-choked voice of a grown man. The fleshseller may not have business with you, but we may speak… speak of many things.

Staring into the pit Khaina saw with revulsion that the mutated slave was staring up at him. Its twin mouths were producing the disharmony of voices. The mouths seemed to seek at random, sometimes in perfect unison, sometimes at a different rate and sometimes alternating between one speaking while the other was silent.

We know why you have come little bloodelf. You seek those who bring bloodshed and madness that is not sanctioned by your god. The slave seller knows nothing, but I can tell you truths… many truths. But to hear, you must stand before me. Come into the pit and let usssss talk of gods and drugs and truths and

This was cut off by a scream of rage from Gaal. Silence, freak! How dare you talk in my presence? How dare you address an elf?

The mutated creature rocked back and forth, giggling and hooting. Its tentacles writhed in a disturbing fashion, sending little sprays of filth into the air as they shook. And what shall you do if I disobey? Whip me? I should enjoy it. Kill me? You would lose much monies, yes. So I think you shall be silent and let the murdergodservant speak with me in my pit.

Come little elf. You shall not be harmed. I would speak if you would prove worthy of hearing… I will say much that will help you serve your god. Show your valor and come into the pit.

A sickly smile spread across the addicts’ face as Karios accepted his offer.
Excellent! It’s not too far from here. My name is Griss by the way.

Karios had thought that the tavern district he’d been in was the low point of life in Vikarh, but Griss led him through a maze of progressively more filthy streets that made the streets full of cheap alehouses look majestic. The buildings here were universally boarded up and decaying. although here and there planks had been ripped away to allow entrance. Diseased looking druchii huddled on the street shivering with withdrawal symptoms as their drugs wore off, uncaring that rats tore at the flesh of their deceased comrades a few feet away. Prostitutes stood around in small groups calling out to those who passed, but most of their number seemed to be on the brink of collapse as well. It was as if a plague had chosen to inflict this street and spare everywhere else.

Karios walked through this like someone in a daze. He couldn’t remember ever sinking this low, but it was a stark reminder of the fate that could have befallen him. They are worse than animals. Griss seemed unfazed by any of this, but he kept his head well down until he ducked into a building, motioning for Karios to follow him up two flights of crumbling stairs, encrusted with animal waste and vomit, and into a damp smelly room. The only furniture was a pair of soiled couches, upon which three figures reclined. Two of them appeared to be insensible at the moment, while the conscious one stared inquiringly at Griss. Drug paraphernalia and scraps of food littered the floor, and the air was heavy with narcotics.

Hey guys! Look who I found! It’s Karios, that poet from a few months ago, and he’s going to read some of his stuff for us. Scrabbling behind one of the couches Griss began to throw up papers. Sit down Karios, I’ll find the poems for you.. Wulla, give him something to get him in a creative mood.

The conscious druchii responded angrily. What the hell? Why should I give away my supply to strangers?

Karios tried to interrupt but Griss jumped in before he could. Because I said so! He’s a genius, now shut up and hand it over!

Karios started to protest that he didn’t want any, but Griss cut him off again. Don’t let this s**t treat you like this! You’ll have some. ok! Wulla leapt to his feet. F**k you! Try giving him ANYTHING and I’ll gut you! The two elves sprawled on the couches raised their heads as the two addicts raged at each other. Karios could see that this would become violent in a few seconds, and he didn’t particularity want to end up in the middle of a brawl in this neighborhood.

OOC: Sorry for the delay, but I'm back now. Time to stop charging names like they have an exparation date attached and get this RPG going again.

Stats:
WS5 S3 T2 D4 I4

RPG Group 18 mod
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

OOC - I couldn't agree more!

As the hideous creatures were bounding towards him, Zarloyth snorted in a mixture of revulsion and disdain. They have nothing better to send at us than some silly chaos beasts? This should be amusing... With a slow grin Zarloyth waited for the first creature to reach him, and when it was just out of sword's reach the warrior levelled the wicked point of his blade at the beasts throat, taking a quick step forwards, intending to run the chaos-spawned monstrosity through in a single fluid motion.
Inventory: Full Plate, Backpack, Cleaning Supplies, Waterskin, 3 Week's Rations, 132 gold Null Shard
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Khaina stared at the mutated thing in the pit as it called to him and held back the urge to vomit. It was hideous, it stank of decay and mutation, and worst of all it was summoning him into the pit. Gaal tried to silence the beast but it kept on mocking them and calling Khaina forward to talk. Khaina was no fool, the beasts would probably turn on him as prey as soon as he entered the pit, however he would be expecting such an action. He looked to Gaal,
"Ah, what the heck!"
Then vaulted over the side into the pit, drawing blades before he had even landed.
"Let's talk"
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

OOC: Kiaron, take another look at Group 19 if you can, I edited your post with some information which might change your actions.

Ghost listened to the plan carefully as the Guard Captain instructed them. Hmm, it appears that we will be the ones who will really be investigating the Cults. There is some information we need from the guards, but that can wait until later. The shade offered no objection to the groups splitting up as the plan was a generally intelligent one - though he was not pleased with the novice being placed with them. He judged that her corpse would just get in his way. The armoured savage with an interesting individual however. He wondered where exactly she came from, but didn't judge it a good time to ask as Zarloyth threw his weight at the door; felling it at the second kick.

If only we could kill them...it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Ghost thought as they charged around in a no-doubt drug-fueled frenzy. He had little strength for holding down more than a piteous weakling so decided to just draw his shortsword and threaten them in the direction of the brawnier ones. Though as the one that Ghost noted he should definitely capture alive finished his speech and the creatures burst through the door, he stopped drawing his sword and spun his crossbow over his shoulder after all. Aiming at the one that Zarloyth was not about to run through, he aimed a shot at the head of the spawn of chaos and fired precisely - trying his best to position it so the novice wouldn't foolish run in the way.

If the 'master' runs for it, he will leave the others to taking care of the monsters and pursue, attempting to disable him with his blades.
"Ghost"

Group 19 Moderator
Brydson
Dark Rider

Post by Brydson »

Karios obediently followed Griss through the crumbling and disease ridden streets, stepping over the legs of addicts and corpses who were lying pathetically in the mire of the street. He felt almost glad to get inside and away from it all, until he noted the state of the place as he climbed the stairs. He felt lucky he hadn't sunk to such a level - perhaps the income afforded by his poetry was the only reason he'd kept his head above the fetid water. Still, he reasoned, That route would have led only to an even greater depravity.

Entering the room he cast his eyes over the shrivelled forms reclining within and casually dropped his shield near the door. They were vaguely familiar, as was the aroma of lotus and other intoxicant spices hanging in the air. He absently hoped it didn't go to his head as he smiled and took a seat next to an apparently unconscious elf on one of the couches.

He raised an eyebrow as the altercation began, musing that this might point to there being some of the frenzy inducing substance around the place. In any case he definitely didn't want to be involved in a fight in this neighbourhood - despite the fact that he was comparitively well armed. In fact he felt awkward to be in such company so equipped, at the same time feeling naked at having left the shield over by the door.

As the argument reached the point of physical threat Karios decided he'd better say something. A plan formed quickly in his mind as the sleeping druchii next to him woke up and stared at him quizzicaly, as if trying to determine whether he was real.

"Listen, friends... I know how to solve this. I've been out of town for a while... I think my old connections have long since dried up. If you point me in the right direction, I can go and get some things and come back. I've got a bit of gold set aside nearby... enough to set us all up for a few days. What do you say?"

Karios smiled, hoping he looked genuine enough to fool them, though he felt that no junkie worth his salt would be able to turn down such an offer. Inwardly he chuckled at his cleverness - once he had the location of a supplier he fully intended to leave them to kill each other.
Kiaron hebleth
Black Guard

Post by Kiaron hebleth »

Amused by the low quality of their opposition Zarloyth tensed, intending to use the dog-man’s momentum again him. With his sword slightly dipped to lure the monster on he braced to receive the charge. To his right the young elf held his ground out of bravery of foolishness and seemed prepared to take the charge of the massive goat mutant on his shield. Behind him Ghost noted the young elf’s footwork approvingly – he wasn’t as green as he looked. Confident that the rookie wasn’t going to interfere with his shot Ghost sighted along the crossbow and sent a bolt flying at the thing’s misshapen head, trying to compensate for it lowering its head to charge. To his left the barbaric looking elf crouched, her arm taut as she prepared to fling a spear at the chuckling dog mutant.

Before the other mutant was within ten feet of Zarloyth it pounced high into the air, completely wrong footing the warrior who was used to fighting less bestial foes. As the snarling monstrosity flew at him he tried to stab upwards at it but the hasty blow went wide. For a split second Zarloyth’s senses seemed impossibly sharp and he took in every detail of the beast – its matted brown pelt covered in small black spots. The huge muscular forearms which were almost as long as the hind legs. The raging yellow eyes encrusted with pus at the corners. The black tongue dancing behind the decaying teeth. The spit and drool that spewed from its mouth with every breath. Just as the creature reached the apex of its jump a spear soared over Zarloyth’s head and lanced into its chest. Distracted by the sudden impact the creature twitched in midair and this gave the warrior the distraction he needed to avoid being crushed. Diving awkwardly forwards the beast sailed over his head, and landed awkwardly behind him facing the savage elf. With a trilling war cry she stabbed forwards with a spear but the monster deflected this with a swipe of its meaty hands. As Zarloyth spun around with his sword carving out a lethal arc it spun quickly and punched him in the chest, the force of the blow sending the fighter flying six through the air. Landing awkwardly on his back he noticed the indent left on his new armour – not serious, but still impossibly deep for anything to make with its bare hands. The monster squatted between his two assailants, whipping his head from side to side as he decided who to go for, before launching himself at the prostrate Zaroyth.

Unfortunately the horned freak ducked lower than Ghost had anticipated and instead of splitting its skull the bolt tore one of its ears off. Ignoring this minor wound the goat mutant charged full force at the young elf. If he’d tried to absorb the charge on his shield the impact would have broken his arm but as Ghost had predicted from his bent knees the young elf dove to the side, drawing his shield in tightly across his stomach in case his assailant veered to the side. The huge goats head swung to the side but the horns only grazed the shield. Like lightning the young elf slashed at the beast’s side with his short sword but the dive threw his aim off and he only caused a shallow graze. Ignoring this the aberration continued its charge, heading straight for Ghost with its head lowered. Desperate and terrifying scenes of beastmen destroying and killing the shades of his village flashed through his mind, even as he noted that this animal didn’t seem to be a beastman. Its off-white pelt was covered with thick dust, the face and legs were too human, the arms too skinny – more like the forelegs of a goat. Tearing his mind back to the present Ghost tried to come up with his next move as the freak bore down on him.

Deciding that his plans would be ruined if his contacts killed each other Karios spoke up before the argument could turn to violence. "Listen, friends... I know how to solve this. I've been out of town for a while... I think my old connections have long since dried up. If you point me in the right direction, I can go and get some things and come back. I've got a bit of gold set aside nearby... enough to set us all up for a few days. What do you say?" Wulla calmed down instantly, and Karios could see a gleam in his eye that he found only too easy to interpret. Free drugs were a junkie’s dream. Griss seemed upset however and started to protest. Naww, Karios, you don’t have to... but Karios cut him off by launching into a short speech about how he didn’t intend to upset anyone, but he wouldn’t feel right taking them up on their offer until he’d made a contribution, after which he’d be glad to share their hospitality. This seemed to mollify everyone, probably because Karios keet the end of the speech: so shut up and take me to a drug dealer you worthless idiot to himself. Responding to Karios’ eloquence and their powerful addictions Griss and Wulla said that they’d be able to lead him to a source.

Out on the street again, flanked by the two addicts Karios made small talk but his mind was racing and his limbs were shaking. The sight of the drugs and the prospect of buying some more had awakened apart of him that he’d been trying to repress for a while The feeling of delight and the sense of oblivion – the mad, insane ideas that whirled through my head for days on end, making my mind race faster than it’d ever raced before – the smooth relaxation that took the edge off my anxiety. I miss it! Shaking his head he forced himself to focus on the squalor surrounding him, the squalor he could soon find himself in if he slipped back in o excess. And beneath this there was a sense of fear. A curious sensation in the back of his head, as if something was locked out and calling for him to release it. Something alien and wrong.

Griss and Wulla led him quickly to a slightly better off area. The people here seemed to be thugs and brutes rather than addicts, and the glared contemtulously at Karios and his companions. Every now and then one would walk straight at Griss, knocking him to the ground or forcing him to leap to the side. Griss accepted this punishment withoutquestion, scurrying off with his eye downcast but Karios grew more and more nervous. It might not be long before someone took a real interest in them.
Fortunately they were soon at their destination – a heavily fortified steel door on the side of a huge warehouse. Knocking on the door Wulla had a brief conversation with a guard on the other side before being directed into an alleyway behind the building. Here he bent down and lifted a rusty manhole cover to allow the trio to descend into the tunnel beneath the street. Surrisingly the tunnel was dry, slightly cleaner than the streets above and lit with the occasional candle. They prefer to make us go down here – it allows them to make sure we’re alone. It used to be easier to buy stuff, but lately sources have been drying up and experiencing problems, so the only dealers still trading are those who are more paranoid.
After a minute they lit tunnels gave way to a large dark cavern. A snuffling voice from the shadows called out [b]What do you want to buy? Money first, then product.

OOC: From your past you can assume you know a wide variety of drugs. Feel free to choose the ones below or ask for something rarer.

Assume that 10 gold would buy you the cheapest and foulest drugs used by the truly desperate:
Scum: As cheap as it sounds, scum is a yellow powder that causes users to react in unpredictable ways because it’s normally mixed with all kinds of filth.
Povash: Povash is inhaled and tends to cause delusions and chronic lung problems in equal measure.

30 gold would be enough to buy some low quality drugs:
Hanti: Formerly your rug of choice this red root is smoked and causes fantastic hallucinations.
Flick: Needles coated with flick are injected, causes an elevated temperature and mania.

50 for anything seriously potent:
Violet lotus, an incredibly addictive drug that renders the user insensible for several hours.
Jahmil: An oil, when applied to the nose and inhaled it causes prolonged and often terrifying delusions.

Khaina hit the bottom of the pit with a small splash, managing to stay upright in the slime and filth thanks to his ever increasing agility. Above him Gaal let out a scream of surprise and began to bellow at the guards but the trainee fixed his attention on the mutant in front of him. At this distance the smell was even worse, and breathing was extremely difficult. The mutant stare at him with it’s three misshapen eyes and smiled. This close Khaina could see that the three eyes were human shaped but all were different colours, and they moved independently. One of the mouths was full of needle like teeth, while the other drooled a thick pink fluid.
So brave and direct, to leap down here with shiny knives ready to cut... I shall be direct with you in turn. You came here because you feel the cult of Slannesh is responsible for the killings and madness in your city. I do not think they are. Think for a moment. To survive here a cult here must be clever and sneaky and secret, only revealing itself when the time is right. The stupid and the mad may burst onto the streets and kill a few, but they are easily found and killed. Why then can you not find those who cause the random petty killings?

You do not understand the darkling prince I think. He teaches us to enjoy excess, but we must earn it by winning glory and fame and slaves for him. These petty killing are a paltry offering, and they draw more trouble than good. For each elf who dies more guards come to his secret places to hound his followers. The blessed of my god are hunting these drug sellers too, they interfere and meddle and causes much mischief for us. There are other cults, and I think they want to see us die and fail.

At this point a few of the other mutants had started to stare at Khaina, but to his surprise the tentacled mutant whipped at them, driving them back to the shadows.

Do not worry for them, I wish to talk and we will talk for I rule here in the name of the glorious god. Truly blessed am I, as you may see... But I must earn more blessings. I want to help you, little elfling, to find those who threaten my children. We will help, yes. Go to your bloody mistresses and tell thenm that we do not kill on their streets, they must find others who are guilty...

Stats:
WS5 S3 T2 D4 I4

RPG Group 18 mod
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Khaina stared at the mutant, trying to make sense of its blabbering, and slightly amused at some of it's comments. "I expect you are right, I do not understand your dark prince, but that is because Khaine and murder is all the understanding I need. You are a mutated slave in a pit in the city of the elves, do not expect to speak down to us. This is our city. You are ours. You don't rule over anything. I could purchase you now if I wished to, but I have no need for you other than the information you so willingly give. So, how do I know your not just blabbering on? How do I know you're even sane? You could be covering your cults tracks as much as you are shifting the blame away... I am not stupid, petty creature, so tell me more..."
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

As he hit the ground Zarloyth snarled a savage curse as a stab of pain flared through his ribs, but fortunately the hardened paste seemed to have held. He vaguely registered the dent in his new armour, shocked at the creature's strength, when it loomed above him. With a fierce warcry Zarloyth rolled backwards and scrambled to his feet, but the beast was almost upon him again. Gods be damned, the thing is fast! the creature was already too close for the warrior to properly use his sword, but he savagely smashed his knee in its chest, before hammering his gauntleted fist against the drooling jaws. Inwardly, the young warrior raged at his own arrogance, he had severely underestimated the cunning and strength of the creature, just like he had underestimated the battle prowess of his own father several years before. I will not again pay the same price I did back then, he thought grimly, but the hoarse voice of his father echoed through his head: that is not for you to decide, foolish boy, Zarloyth ignored it, struggling to clear his mind, and took a step away from the chaotic monster, gripping his sword in two hands and moving in for the kill...
Brydson
Dark Rider

Post by Brydson »

The journey through the winding streets into a more prosperous area had not surprised Karios - indeed it was more like wandering into the memory of a dream - though he had been aware of unfriendly faces sizing them up from the darker corners and now he felt glad for his sword and shield, for perhaps they had kept them from being attacked. The whole experience was vaguely familiar to him, a sensation which was growing increasingly familiar in itself - and at which Karios was growing increasingly irritated. The feeling he'd met someone before or been somewhere before began to incite in him a murderous rage, to the point that he was looking at Wulla and Griss with barely concealed contempt and hatred whilst plotting some way of disposing of them once they had finished their business with the merchant. This feeling lasted as they went down beneath street level into a large, shadowy open space. A voice called out from nearby.

Karios glanced at his two companions with a sly smile and then peered ino the dark shadow from where the voice came. His mind turned over his options, and the possibilties they represented, but eventually he decided that he must show confidence.

"It is Jahmil I crave this day... unless there are any objections?"
He said to Griss and Wulla with a faintly evil smile.

In reality of course, he was close to panic. He felt as though he'd just climbed onto the back of a feral manticore and was in for the ride of his life. With a start he remembered that he'd come here for another reason, and he spoke up immediately.

"Though I have heard there's something new in the city... something better than all of this old stuff.. do you know of what I speak?" This time he glanced at his temporary friends with a conspiratorial wink added to the vaguely threatening smile.
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

Ghost was shocked at their failure to defeat what should have been a few deranged enemies. Zarloyth had failed to meet the charge of his foe, and despite it being lanced through the chest with a longspear, it was still standing. It was little better on Ghost's side, it was a bad time for misfortune as the fates moved against him and his crossbow shot failed to meet it's target.Fool! Ghost yelled in his mind as the novice leapt out of the way of the beast. Despite his knowledge of a few skills, he was still a novice as he thought it was a good idea to leave the shade who wasn't a fighter to meet the charge. Keeping his crossbow at the ready, the assassin tried to think up a plan in the few moments he had before the goat thing reached him. I have no hope of standing to meet his charge and I'm backed into a corner. This would be bad. For a regular elf. Bending his knees, Ghost intended to leap straight over the beast, kicking him on the back to the floor as he went so he pleasantly left prone for the shade to plant a bolt in it's spine.
"Ghost"

Group 19 Moderator
Kiaron hebleth
Black Guard

Post by Kiaron hebleth »

For a few seconds the voice in the shadows was silent, and Karios began to wonder if there was anyone there at all. He strained his eyes trying to pierce the gloom but the darkness was so complete that the world might as well have ended in front of him. He began to feel dizzy, without any point of reference he felt as if he might fall forwards and never hit the ground. Behind him he heard the addicts shuffling around and he began to wonder if this was a trick of some sort. Perhaps they’d lured him down here to rob and kill him. Could he fight them off? Could he find his way out of here? Gods, why hadn’t he

Jahmil, yes. 50 gold first, then I will give you Jahmil, then we will talk of other things.

The voice snapped Karios back to reality. There was no deception here, only an elf with money buying drugs. His mind was playing tricks on him, that was all. Why was he so nervous? He’d faced worse than this. He’d bought drugs before while out of his mind on the previous purchase, he could buy them when he was sober. Reaching into the folds of his cloak he counted out the gold into a small bag. Wulla and Griss weren’t going to rob him, they were fidgeting because Jahmil was far beyond their price range and they couldn’t wait to try it. Weighing the coins in his hand Karios called into the gloom, trying to make his voice sound cheerful and confident, but the words were somehow stilled and suppressed in the black air...

Fifty gold. Where shall I leave it?

Walk forwards.

Karios had only taken a few hesitant steps forwards when something snatched the purse from his hand and slammed into him from the side, sending him sprawling to the floor. In the darkness he cracked his head off the cold stone tiles, stunning him for a moment. Before he could recover a huge weight far larger than an elf had him pinned down and the voice was on top of him. He gagged at the rancid, meaty breath exhaled into his face as the voice roared at him.

Now for the other item. What do you WANT? What do you KNOW? WHY DID YOU COME?

The voice paused and there was a loud sniff. In the sudden silence Karios heard Griss whimpering like a frightened child. Then there was more sniffing, closer to his face. The stench got worse, as if the voice was closer. Then there was a sharp pain in his ear as something clamped down on it. Karios flinched in surprise and tried to lunge for his knife, but an immense weight easily pinned his hand to the floor. For a few seconds he lay in the darkness, utterly bewildered, feeling a trickle of hot blood flow from his ear. Then there was a grunt, which became a chuckle, which became a deep booming laugh. The weight on him relaxed as the owner of the voice shook with mirth.

I see. You’re either very brave or very foolish my lad, but I know what you want. Here’s Jahmil, as paid for (a small glass vial was pressed into his left hand) and here’s what you came here for. (a small twist of paper was dropped into his right.) Smoke that and you’ll see. Next time you come here, ask specifically for someone who can see the mark. It’s faint on you, and there’s many who’d have killed you unknowing, but I can smell it in the blood.

Then the voice leaned in and whispered three words, and suddenly the weight was gone and Karios was free to go. He lay there for a few seconds clutching his prizes before Griss and Wulla rushed over to help him up. He didn’t say anything to them. He didn’t say anything as they made their way out onto to the street, or as they made their way back to the apartment. The first time he spoke was to ask for a mirror to examine his ear. After examining the shallow cut and the flat, square notches left there he ignored the addicts completely. He kept replaying the final three words again.

Check.

Your.

PM’s.

OOC: I couldn’t resist. Apologies to the other three reading this.

************************************************************************************************

As the mutant charged at him Ghost made to leap over his back, aiming to knock it to the floor and shoot it before it could recover. Unfortunately he had underestimated both the creature’s speed and its strength. His quicksilver reflexes allowed him to jump over the beast’s head, but as he went to plant a foot in its back the creature tossed its oversized head and reared up to its full height. Instead kicking with his leg outstretched the shades foot slammed awkwardly into the goat-man’s back. Even so, the mistimed kick would have staggered a lesser opponent but kicking this foe was like kicking a brick wall. Thrown off balance Ghost toppled to the floor.

Before Zarloyth could rise to him feet the dog mutant lunged at him again. As its claws raked his breastplate he battered desperately at the snapping monstrosity on top of him. Zarloyth felt a brief moment of panic before it let out a mournful howl and spun around with another short spear protruding from its back. Taking advantage of this distraction Zarloyth rose awkwardly, his heavy armour slowing and restricting his movements. The barbaric looking elf was giving ground but keeping the monster at bay with her remaining spear. Zarloyth rushed forwards to finish it off with a blow to the back but as his sword arced down the monster surged forwards away from him, barrelling into the elf in front of him and sending her sprawling. Because of this sudden movement his sword missed the target. Fuming that he’d missed such a perfect opportunity Zarloyth swung at his target again as the creature spun around to face him, enraged that it was trapped between two targets. The monster brought one huge arm up to deflect the blow, and though the strike drew blood it didn’t seem to hurt the mutant much. In response the beast lashed out awkwardly with its meaty fist, the blow sending Zarloyth crashing into a nearby wall. Stunned he struck out on pure instinct and drove the tip his sword deep into the mutants belly, inflicting a ghastly wound that nothing could survive.

A lesser elf might have cursed fate but Ghost had been trained to play the cards he was dealt. Rolling as he fell awkwardly to the floor Ghost sprang up and levelled his crossbow before the ungainly mutant could turn. To his side the young Druchii bounced on the balls of his heels, his weapons ready. As the creature turned Ghost sent a bolt flying into its muscular shoulder with a wet thud, deadening the arm. A second bolt slammed into its chest, narrowly missing the heart but hitting a nearby artery and sending bright blood splashing across the dirty tunnel floor. Moaning in pain the creature lumbered forwards again, trying to charge, but a third bolt crashed into its stomach and caused it to collapse onto the floor. In a flash the shade and the young elf darted forwards with their short swords ready and finished the job.

Silence fell in the tunnel. Then there was a horrible gurgling sound from the corpses. Impossibly, despite their dreadful wounds, they started to rise again, their bestial faces contorted with pain.

The creature tittered with glee at Khaina’s words.

Hee hee hee. I may be slave, but what of it? In my lands I thought I was free. When I was captured and flung into this cage I was miserable at first, yes. But my lord found me and blessed me and showed me that I should not seek pleasure, rather the sensations which may be found in all places... You may buy me, but what of it? I should enjoy anything you may try to do to me – even if you should slide me to pieces. And this may be a city of elves, but the dark one has his servants here, even among you. There are many who worship him here and they are strong... this city is ours as much as yours perhaps.

As for proof of what I say, I have none. But you are not stupid. Is it not strange how none of those responsible have been found, for such small and petty attacks? A servant of the dark gods could cause more bloodshed in a day if they put their mind to it. So why do they not? There is more to this than what there seems I think. But I do not know what else to tell you. I do not know where the drugs come from, but I do know that the elves of this city are looking most closely at those who worship my lord. They neglect to look at others. Why? You should think on this.

Finally, what do we gain from this? A few deaths are nothing. Chaos is a great dragon, and to appease the gods takes mighty acts. Followers must slay great enemies, ruin cities, not hide and scuttle in corners, content to poison a few here and there. There is no glory in these attacks, and we fight for glory. You think we are lazy and decadent but those who never fight are cursed by the gods as weaklings and cowards. This is not our way...

Suddenly Gall appeared at the top and a knotted rope was dangled down behind Khaina.

Crazy idiot! Get out of here now, or I’ll leave you in there as dinner for my slaves!

The mutant snorted. It seems you must go. Ask me quickly if you have further questions.

Stats:
WS5 S3 T2 D4 I4

RPG Group 18 mod
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Khaina gave the mutant one last pitiful look and then scaled the rope Gaal had thrown down to him. He got out of the pit and dusted himself down, ignoring the glares he was getting from Gaal and her men. He nodded to the slavedriver,
"You have my thanks, but I think I have found out everything I need here, so I shall be on my way. I may send someone to purchase from your stock later, this pit is full of good sacrifices."

Khaina will leave unless Gaal does anything to stop him, and having heard what the mutant said and assuming he is not guilty, Khaina will go back to the Inn they agreed to meet at. He may look for something to buy on the way like fine swords etc as before.

OOC - I am going to have a busy week so sorry in advance if I cant post much!
Brydson
Dark Rider

Post by Brydson »

Karios stared at the dirty, cracked mirror for some time, his fingers brushing the marks left on his ear lightly as the words swam round in his head. He began to feel an odd sense of resignation as he considered what had just happened. Not for the first time he wondered upon what road he had stumbled and where it would lead him, and whether that end would be a better than one than being tortured to death by Legran or, more likely, his security officer the bladelike Yitta. His thoughts strayed to his family back in Naggarond, and he chuckled mirthlessly to himself. A better fate than theirs... He told himself, trying to sound convincing but failing.

At length he turned to face Griss and Wulla, and the other two druchii still insensible on the couches. Griss and Wulla were watching him with an uncertain fear in their eyes, so Karios attempted an easy manner. He produced his purchases from his pocket and held them out, looking at them in the relative brightness of the dingy apartment.

All talk of smelling marks on his blood aside, he wondered worriedly what he was supposed to do with the paper... or rather, what would happen if or when he smoked it. He glanced up at Griss and Wulla, still stood in silence. If what he expected was true, he would most probably turn into a foaming beast like the druchii he and the others had slain at the docks - and that would get him nowhere except dead, though he smiled grimly to himself again as he imagined the faces of Ghost, Zarloyth and Khaina when that news reached them. He subtly pocketed the twist before offering the glass vial to Griss and Wulla.

"Go ahead friends, I need to gather my wits for a moment before I jump in.."

He smiled thinly for he knew he must appear at least as shaken as they by their experience, but attempted to look like he was used to such dealings.

"...Though if you haven't walked in this dream before I suggest you take small steps at first... Jahmil is not for the faint of heart."

With that he went back to idly examining himself in the mirror, his left hand outstretched and holding the vial for them. He frowned at the marks on his ear as if in vanity, but in truth a grim determination was rising in his soul. He heard the words of the dealer creep back into his subconscious, and struggled to force them out. He glanced back at the two addicts with slight fierceness in his eyes, as if to say "Hurry up."
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

Zarloyth stood panting with his back against the wall, A close one..., he thought. He threw a quick glance around to see how the others had fared, nodding in respect to the female mercenary, who had certainly saved his life. But just as he thought it safe to take some time and catch his breath, the creature that lay at his feet let out a tortured groan, and slowly scrambled to its feet. For a moment, Zarloyth was astonished, but quickly recovered from the shock. Oh no, you don't... he croaked, bringing down his blade in a murderous arc.
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

Ghost sighed at having worked so inefficiently. That creature simply took too much and too long to kill. It was a barbaric mutant! I should have been able to overcome it easily with that first shot... Ghost plunged his shortsword at the head of the spinal cord, not caring exactly where the novice put his blade after he landed that certainly deadly blow. Cleaning his blade and returning it to it's sheath, he swung his crossbow over his shoulder, surveying the scene. He looked at Zarloyth and the female elf who actually looked as though she might be able to handle herself. They displayed similar emotions to how Ghost felt. Shocked. Shocked that they had been given so much trouble by their animal. Just as Ghost turned his eyes back to the 'master' he heard a growl from behind him and whipped round instantly with his crossbow to see the beast he had just paralysed rising to it's feet, and Zarloyth bringing his blade in an arc down on his creature also.

"Don't waste your strength Zarloyth. Try and use your weapons to pin the beasts to the floor, so if they can't die, at least they can't come after us." Ghost passed his shortsword to the novice. "I'm going after the maniac who released them to see if he knows anything about how to keep them dead." Ghost raised his crossbow and sped down the corridor, keeping his movements as silent as possible. Reaching the door, he kept his eye focused on the sight, ready to put a bolt through the head of any cultist, or through the leg of the one he's after.

I think you may have misunderstood. You are in a corridor with the two mutants. At the end of the corridor there's the door that the mutants came through. From what you've heard you assum the cultists and their master are through here, but you haven't seen them yet.
"Ghost"

Group 19 Moderator
Kiaron hebleth
Black Guard

Post by Kiaron hebleth »

With the rope to assist his climbing Khaina found it easy to haul himself out of the pit. Swinging over the top he was confronted by Gall and four guards. Gaal’s face was white with rage and she looked as if she was going to try and kill him with her bare hands. Khaina was unconcerned by this, as he was certain the reputation of the temple would protect him. He let one of his hands drop casually to the hilt of his short sword and said You have my thanks, but I think I have found out everything I need here, so I shall be on my way. I may send someone to purchase from your stock later, this pit is full of good sacrifices.

Get out of here you suicidal idiot, and be grateful that we didn’t leave you down there.

Ignoring her threats Khaina left the compound. Outside the stench of the pit clinging to his clothing was even more apparent. Grimacing he made his way back to the inn to clean up and analyse what he had learned.

**********************************************************************************

The addicts didn’t need much prompting to indulge themselves and soon they were all sprawled on the floor, gently murmuring the gibberish that Jahmil inspired, completely oblivious to their surroundings. Karios watched with a look of disgust and a hint of longing, before taking in his surroundings. He had memorised the route to the drug dealers, and he didn’t think there was anything else of value to him here.

**********************************************************************************
Zarloyth brought his sword down on the monster, slicing deep into its flesh and knocking it to the floor but unbelievably it tried to get up again. Seeing the wisdom in Ghost’s words he decided to focus on incapacitating them, even if he couldn’t kill them. While he did this Ghost and the spear armed elf raced down the corridor.

Hacking at the body of the dog mutant with frantic blows he only stepped back to rest when he had severed the limbs, sweat pouring down his face. With a sick feeling in his stomach he saw that the limbs were still twitching and moving, torn apart but still somehow alive. Still, the shredded corpse wasn’t much of a threat. With this done he moved to assist the young elf who was decapitating the goat mutant with the two short swords. While he removed the head Zarloyth severed the limbs which fell to the ground twitching. The young elf picked up the severed and watched with a fascinated horror as the eyes focused on him and the mouth moved. Tossing the head aside he set off down the corridor after the other two. Zarloyth was about to follow when he heard more voices behind him. Spinning around preparing to fight he grinned when he saw the reinforcements arrive.

Ghost burst through with his crossbow cocked and ready, sweeping the room quickly. The room was circular, and in the centre a makeshift wooden altar had been erected. Strewn across it were the dismembered remains of two bodies, whose entrails had been scatted around the room and smeared on the walls in hateful symbols that hurt the eyes to look at. The grisly scene still seemed meagre to Ghost. He’d seen more carnage in bar room brawls, and the crude alter made the ritual seem cheap and weak. There were no signs of any cultists in the room, but he could hear cries coming from an opening in one of the walls. Apparently, in their haste to escape the cultists had neglected to close the secret door behind them – this only reinforced Ghost’s belief that they were amaturers.

Dashing through the opening the pair found themselves in a rough tunnel that twisted erratically. Ahead they could hear wails and shouts approaching slowly they found a crowd of seven frightened looking elves scrabbling at a small circular opening in the wall – less than a foot in diameter. Curious as to why the cultists were stalling here rather than continuing down the tunnel and escaping the mercenaries hung back.

One of the cultists – an old, ragged looking elf - appeared to be pleading into the opening, screaming Master! Please don’t leave us! Please! Another cultist interrupted the elf who was pleading. Enough. He’s abandoned us. We have to get out of here! If he ran then the guards could be here soon, monsters or no.

The pleading elf spun around, fire in his eyes. Blasphemy! He would not abandon us. He will return. Go if you want. I shall stay.

Most of the crowd appeared undecided but the one who had argued sped off down the corridor immediately. The ragged elf continued to plead and the rest milled around. With a nod at his companion Ghost stepped into view, crossbow at the ready, hoping to capture these weaklings alive but prepared to shoot any who posed a threat. The cultists screamed and some made to flee, but none of them appeared to want to fight. From further up the corridor Ghost heard bellowing as the guards charged down the tunnel and behind him he could hear the others catching up. They hadn’t caught the master, or killed his pets, but they had seven cultists and two chaos mutants to show the captain.

OOC: Please end your next posts by regrouping back at the inn if possible so the group can decide where to investigate next.

Stats:
WS5 S3 T2 D4 I4

RPG Group 18 mod