Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Group 23

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC: Group 23 consists of 3 characters:

NoOoDLe - Saffron Incubi (Warrior)

These players are no longer in the group:

Mercenary_Q - Kalhar Lormas (Warrior) - killed for bad posting.
Jcitalia4 - Mak E'Shif (Disciple of Khaine) - killed for bad posting.
Suneater - Zarloyth (Warrior) - left the group willingly.
Yogurtman - Khelmir (Warrior) - killed for inactivity
Soulsmith - Valgar Heth (Disciple of Khaine) - killed for inactivity

First, the RPG rules for Group 23:

1) Your character status will very much depend on your posting. I will injure or even kill off characters that aren’t pulling their weight in terms of posts so try and stay to the deadlines I set and try and write at least a paragraph each time you post.

2) Your characters are not immortal. Nor are they even heroic for that matter. In gaming terms you are about on par with a 6-point DE warrior at the start. You characters will level up and get stronger as the game goes on, but until then you should be reasonable in the way you play. Chances are that if you decide to go up with a Chosen Knight Of Khorne by yourself your going to get turned into confetti.

3) I now have a good system for working out the result of your actions both in and out of fights. Your post will count as your dice roll, and you need a higher dice roll to suceed. A good quality and well written post will be equivelent to a high dice roll, making your character more likely to suceed. A bad post is equal to a low dice roll and so you are more likely to fail.

4) Keep a character profile like mine in your profile, with at least your characters name, stats, equipment, and inventory. You may include more (such as age, class, gender, etc.), but at least what I have specified. It not only helps you keep track of your character, but also lets you see what your fellow players are capable of and what they are carrying.

5) "Speech", Thought, Action is the system to use.

6) If you need to talk as a person not a character use OOC (Out of Context) to show that you are speaking to the group or myself, and then resume the story with IC (In Context).

7) If your character has previously been in another RPG group and has earned gold, stats, skills or anything else then feel free to keep these. I like to see characters develop rather than have to restart when they come into a new group. The events of Group 23 are staged after your last group (if you had one) so all the experience you earned before can be brought over.

And now time for the Role-Playing to begin...

You are at the Commoners Market in the city of Vikarh, wondering aimlessly around the stalls and looking at what the stall keepers have to offer. The early morning sun is rising into the sky, and a chill wind is sweeping through the city. Out of work, and not the richest of Druchii in the city, you do not even know why you are here. Still, it beats wasting what little gold you can gather together in a Tavern somewhere. Thinking the better of wasting any more of your morning in this run down place, you decide to go and find somewhere else to loiter. Who knows, perhaps you might even come across an oppertunity for work.

As if in answer to your thoughts, you hear a voice call out to the crowd at the Market. "Mercenaries needed! Payment will be good, Job will be tough, usual story! Gather round if you're interested!" You look around and see a black-garbed Druchii Noble standing on a crate near the center of the Market and calling to the crowd. He repeats the same line several times, and you notice others in the crowd making their way towards him. I may as well check it out, I have nothing better to do you think to yourself, approaching the Noble.

A small group of Mercenaries, perhaps ten or twelve in number, have gathered around the Noble. When he is satisfied that nobody else in the Market is headed his way, he steps down from the crate and nods in greeting.
"Eleven of you? Good. I am Hauclir Frost, perhaps your new employer. Right, time to sort out the men from the boys, so to speak, follow on."
He starts to walk away towards a nearby Tavern, and the group of hopefulls follows his lead. You find yourself trudging along near the back of the group, entering the run down Tavern and standing near the table the Noble has sat down at, between two mean looking bodyguards. The rest of the mercenaries are crowding in around you as well, hoping to hear what this Hauclir has to say, or how much gold he will offer.

"Thanks for coming, all. I am a Noble of the city, but am about to depart on a journey far from here. I will need mercenaries with me to get through some of the fighting we are sure to face. I can't take many of my own guards, since truth be told, the rest of my family doesn't know I am leaving. These two," he indicates to his bodyguards, "Will be coming. As will some of you, I hope. The details will come later, but we are heading far from Vikarh, and into the southern lands of Lustria. If you think you may still be interested, have a seat."

There is a large pause, some of the mercenaries who clearly know each other start to talk in hushed voices, others look around to see what the rest will choose to do. Within a few minutes, five of the mercenaries have left the Tavern, clearly intending to stay within the city. You find yourself staying however, both out of need of work and curiosity as to what this Noble is doing. You have a seat along with the others and wait for the Noble to start talking again.

"Well, six! That's more than I expected. Like I said, my name is Hauclir Frost. As a start, why don't you tell me who you are?"
Last edited by Kinslayer on Sat May 16, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

Zarloyth quietly scrutinized his surroundings and the other mercenaries that took seats with him. They appeared a motley crew at best, but the corsair didn't mind, they all seemed capable enough. With grim satisfaction he noted that one of the warriors was tattooed in the way of the sea ravens, good, that could mean he also has some experience with Lustria... Zarloyth himself had only been in Lustria once, but knew from experience that it was tough going. He made a mental note to sell his armour at the first possible opportunity, the heavy plate would do more ill than good on the soggy soil of the jungle. Zarloyth now turned his gaze to his would-be employer, only briefly lingering at the pair of scowling bodyguards that accompanied the noble. Since none of the others made to speak, Zarloyth guessed he had to be first.

The name's Zarloyth, formerly from the black ark Citadel of Blissful Spite, he grunted hoarsely, slightly inclining his head by way of greeting. Zarloyth paused a few seconds before continuing, asking the question he was sure everyone else had in mind: An expedetion to Lustria, eh? What's it pay?
Name: Zarloyth Class: Warrior
WS:5 S:4 T:3 D:3 I:3
Skills: Powerful Kick
Equipped: Mail Skirt, Greataxe, 2 Long Knives, Sea Dragon Cloak
Inventory: Full Plate, Backpack, Cleaning Supplies, Waterskin, 3 Week's Rations, 132 gold Null Shard
Mercenary_q
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mercenary_q »

Kalhar cursed his luck Once again stuck working for some Noble men...Wonder why I shouldn’t just cut his Throat and take all the Gold in his pocket. Then again those bodyguards look formidable Kalhar glanced suspiciously around the room. He didn't like the look of the Trainee of Khaine the ferocity of those warriors could easily get him in danger. Suddenly he heard a name being spoken The name's Zarloyth, formerly from the black ark Citadel of Blissful Spite, The name brought Kalhar out of his paranoia induced trance. He glanced at the warrior and saw a fellow Crosair. Some one you can rely one Before the Nobel could answer Kalhar announced My name is Kalhar Lormas and the pay better be good
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

Not even in Vikarh a full day and already he found promising work. I can see now why they call it the City of Mercenaries. He took in the rest of the remaining arms for hire. At least three clearly had sea legs, two even bore the marks of Corsairs. Good company, even better.

As he heard two of the other's speak he noticed the noble now looking at him, as if he wanted him to speak before addressing the other's question.

Who am I? Well... I'm... Mak... Just Mak will do

Lustria. Mak has seen the wild land several times but never closer than from a makeshift harbor or the railing of a ship. He remembered the tales several other men on the ship or in the taverns spoke about the place. How it was cursed, ancient, like a sleeping beast waiting for something to dare wake it. How fellow druchii on expeditions would just vanish from the group in broad daylight, and worse... He returned from his reveree to the gaze of the noble. Not that it bothered him much, tales as such were often embelished from what actually happened. And he had not a lack of wanting for money. His growling belly reminded him of that.

Quartermaster's mate and able seaman by trade. And I know my way around these blades.

He gestured to his weapons clasped to his belt
Cade Thanal (TN: Gaelus Stormscythe) (Group 38 warrior)
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5
Equipment: Light Armor, Short Sword, Repeating Handbow (9/10), Helmet, Asur Short Sword, High elf Mage-prince pelt, Lion pelt cloak, Sword belt with gold buckle and sapphire, 10 gold
Skills: Disguise

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2
Equipment: Glaive, medium armor, shield
Skills: Endurance

Taldein, the Draich'Arha (CC Thread)
WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Draich (EP4), Helmet (EP1), Pendant
Skills: Power of Ulgu (1)
Nooodle
Corsair

Post by Nooodle »

Saffron sat down easily, his blank stare eyes drifting across the room in slight amusement. This sophisticated city was so much different than the encampment of his tribe. How was it that these elves needed so much more technology to achieve their goals and in their development forgot about the ancient rituals to their god? Saffron didn't understand. What he did understand was that he could use this so called Noble and the 'mercenaries' he was with to achieve his own, personal, goal.

He waited for some of his more eager kin to speak up and then stirred to speak for himself.

With a slightly snarling voice Saffron spoke.
"My name is Saffron. I have come here from a place you call The Plain Of Spiders. A quest to prove my worth to Khaine has brought me here."

With a slight nod he looked at Hauclir. He expected the Noble to look at his tribal visage with disdain like all the others but that remained to be seen.

Meanwhile he looked around the table. He saw a warrior in full plate, a trainee of the temple of Khaine, a corsair and yet another corsair. Hmm.. Odd bunch if you ask me.. he thought as he checked each of the mercenaries out. But they might as well say that about me.. he continued in his mind while waiting for Hauclir to continue and the others to introduce themselves.
Yogurtman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yogurtman »

Khelmir sighed. The nobleman was a fool, having exposed himself so completely in the market. Why did he not simply send his bodyguards to summon recruits? Utter stupidity. Before, Khelmir would not have tolerated having someone of such mental ineptitude in his presence.

But this was now, not then. And for now this fool of a noble would serve Khelmir's purpose. All great ventures have the humblest of beginnings, I suppose.

Looking at the others, he had to suppress a grimace: two of his fellow mercenaries seemed to be of, or have once been of, the corsair persuasion. Skilled fighters, to be sure, but prone to destructive tendencies. Burn the buildings, enslave the people, eat the livestock. They must be so content with their simple lifestyle. Their combat prowess may prove useful, however.

Among the others was what appeared to be a run-of-the-mill mercenary, and two other mercenaries. Khelmir got a strange feeling when looking at them A gold piece says those two have a much stronger connection to Khaine than most.

Khelmir turned back towards Hauclir Frost. You may call me Khelmir. I am... quite familiar with Lustria. The pay is irrelevant, so long as it is reasonable. Then he added, It would be wise to indulge in a greater sense of caution, ere you set off for that place. Your display at the market was... risky at best.
Khelmir WS-4, S-3, T-2, D-4, I-5
Equipment- Longsword, Light Spear, Handbow, Shield, Light Armour, (Aesthetic) Cloak, Water-proof bag (containing a pestle and mortar, a journal, and writing supplies)
Gold-285
Soulsmith
Dark Rider

Post by Soulsmith »

Valgar looked over what could most possibly be his new companions, judging each strength and weakness. Hauclir Frost? Nobles, lets see if he can make them look worthy. Several of the group appeared to be of corsair persuasion, and after his own years on board, he could judge a sea-elf quickly. He smiled, his filed teeth clear.

"I am Valgar Heth." he began, a slight hiss to his voice, accentuating his 's', "I have been down the southern coasts before. I know what im doing with these blades, and I know how to torture a slave until he wishes for death." his smile widened.

He looked once more around the table. Well, no doubt that one will die first, and he will be cooked inside that armour.
Forging souls anew....

Name : Ildren Vrak'nair
Height and Weight : 5'11, 85kg
Character Age : 164
Class: Warrior
(WS): 4
(S): 4
(T): 3
(D): 3
(I): 4
EQUIPMENT
Warrior: Long Sword, Shield, Light Armour.
SKILLS
None
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC (Out of Context) - If you did not already do so, please create a small profile of your character in your signature, which should at least include name, stats, equipment and skills. You can see my own signature profile for my character in Group 19 if you are not sure what to do. This helps me see your stats and abilities when responding to your posts and allows you to keep an up-to-date inventory. If you get a new item, it is your job to edit your profile to include it, or it could be forgotten.

Just ignore the paragraph about your own appearance, obviously I needed to include it for the others.

IC (In Context) -

As the ‘mercenaries’ around you give their names to Hauclir Frost and ask a few questions, yourself included, you look at them each in turn and sum up their appearance. First impressions are important, though sometimes deceiving. If I might be working and fighting alongside this bunch, I will need to know more than just their names, you think to yourself, taking in the look of the others.

A warrior introduced himself as Saffron, an unusual name to match his unusual appearance. He had long black dreadlocks surrounding his pale face, which was covered in some form of ritual scars. He was not exceptionally tall for a Druchii, but he was broader than most. He was garbed in a scaled cloak and carried with him a crossbow made of bone and a skull shield anointed with a symbol of Khaine. He seemed to carry himself with an aura of confidence. He mentioned coming from the Plain of Spiders and trying to prove his worth to Khaine, clearly unafraid to show which god he killed for. I just hope he can use those wild looking weapons when it matters… you think inside your head.

The one who introduced himself as Khelmir did not stand out as much as some of the others, but had a dark look about him. Reasonably tall and with dark, feathery hair, and narrow hazel eyes that looked like they had seen much in a not enough years. He spoke of knowing Lustria already, which meant having him in the group could prove to be a benefit. Still, the way he spoke to Hauclir Frost showed he was not one to keep his thoughts to himself, and you wanted to see how the Noble would respond to such a comment. All in good time, I am sure the Noble has answers for us all…

Another warrior introduced himself as Zarloyth of the Black Ark, Citadel of Blissful Spite. Clearly he had been to sea for many years then, and probably thought of himself as a corsair more than a soldier. He had the bulky appearance of a warrior and the scars to prove he had been in a fair share of fights in his life. He wore heavy armour and a sheathed large sword, and the look he had on his face tells you he is probably considering removing them for this mission to the jungle. He certainly had no hesitations in finding out what the job would pay, Perhaps he has been in the mercenary trade for too long, who knows…

Another warrior introduced himself, Kalhar, this one clearly a corsair as well, and also asking making a comment about the pay they would receive. He had short cropped black hair and rough looking skin. A long scar passed across his face, cutting straight through his left eye and continuing down his cheek. As much as this stood out, what caught your eye more was what looked like corsair tattoos on his arm, just visible under the sleeve of his dirty kheitan. He carried an old shield and wore a ripped and tattered dark cloak around his shoulders, and had what looked like an old corsairs sword by his waist. Another corsair, though that scar proves he has been in some fights in his time…

Yet another warrior then introduced himself as a sea-faring corsair, only giving the name Mak, and already boasting about knowing how to use his swords. The Noble did say he wanted mercenaries to help with the fighting, I guess you think to yourself. He had dark reddish hair, clearly having spent more time in the sun than most Druchii who remained in Naggaroth most of their life, and eyes the colour of stone. He didn’t seem to think much of carrying an appearance, only wearing ragged clothes and not having any visible tattoos or ritual marks. He had the appearance of a Khainite, with a short sword and dagger as his only visible weapons. This one could mean trouble. The disciples usually do…

Last to introduce himself was another disciple of Khaine, Valgar. He was small for an elf, being the shortest of those present, though reasonably broad at the shoulder. He boasted a few battle scars here and there and had long hair which hanged down in braids around his lightly armoured shoulders. This disciple too seemed to only carry a short sword and dagger, perhaps that was all he needed in a fight. As he talked, you notice his teeth have been filed into sharp points, which along with his wild hair gave him a rather insane appearance. Something about him reminds you of the harpies, dangerous creatures that they are, and perhaps that is the look he was trying to pull off. Let’s hope, if he comes with us, he is as dangerous as the harpies he resembles…

Your thoughts are suddenly interrupted as Hauclir Frost rises to his feet and begins to answer the questions and comments that had been thrown his way alongside the introductions. He looks around the group, going back to those that had answered questions in turn and doing his best to reply.
”Pay? Is that what you care about most… well actually, yes, I suppose it would be. I can tell you this, there will be a good up front payment before we set off. If we fail in our mission, that’s your lot. However, should we succeed in Lustria there will be fine rewards for all. 500 gold coin each, a better up front offer you will not find in the city. You can use the money to buy rations and gear before we set off. If you’re not interested you can walk away now, empty handed of course.

As for your comments on the way I reeled you in, Khemlir is it not, perhaps you should keep them to yourself. There is nothing dangerous about me, Hauclir Frost, shouting out to a marketplace full of Druchii, especially when I have Jorin and Feulan here by my side. Obviously you have not seen them in a fight, so you would not yet understand that. As for myself, I am not the sort of Noble who sits in a carriage while his warriors defend him. Always at the front with blood all over me, and little or none of it my own, is my way of things. The only reason I need the extra help here is that Lustria is such a dangerous place.

I guess you are all wondering what exactly it is I want in Lustria, even if you haven’t voice such a question yet. For me to tell you this, I first need a drink. Have one on me if you’re sticking around.”

Hauclir Frost summons a serving girl with a gentle wave of his hand and asks her to bring ale for nine, even if some of you may not want it. Paying for drinks for everybody and handing out 500g up front, the Frost family must be filthy rich, you think.
Hauclir drank deep from his stein of ale and then continued,

”If I was to say what I am about to say to a bunch of dwarfs, there’d be no doubt that everyone would want to come along. Let me hope it has the same effect on you lot. As I said, I am going to Lustria without the rest of the Frost family knowing, and for good reason. I have come to discover the location of a very valuable artefact within the jungles of Lustria. Were I to alert my family and have a big expedition launched, I would only take a small share in the profits. There are hundreds of us Frosts around, and all would want in on the glory and gold. No, instead I choose to lead a very small party in to go hopefully unnoticed and take the artefact. Profits we will split, half to me and a quarter between my guards. The other quarter between you lot, and before you say this is not enough, I expect that to work out for you, assuming all six of you come, as about 1500 gold each.”

A stunned silence seems to pass across the table, nobody quite sure what to make of Hauclir Frost’s job and payment proposal.
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

Zarloyth payed little attention to the noble's sneering remark, much more interested by the words that followed. Five hundred up front? That would mean I won't have to sell my armour at all. The Dragons Below know its always good to have some extra protection lying around... A slight glint of avarice was in his eye, as he politely declined the ale. He'd always been a bad drunk. Zarloyth was hardly listening to what else Hauclir had to say, the decision was simple enough. With that kind of cash he would join the expedition, no matter the ultimate goal. As the noble finished talking, the corsair was once again the first to reply: I'm in.
Inventory: Full Plate, Backpack, Cleaning Supplies, Waterskin, 3 Week's Rations, 132 gold Null Shard
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

500 up front! And 1500 in the end, why, I could get my own boat, or at least rent one and get something else started in my new life. Lustria started to not seem like such a bad deal afterall.

Mak's mouth watered as he eyes the stein in front of him. He reached for it only to pause halfway, remembering Walin's warning. With a sigh, he also declined his drink and took a more wary eye of those around him.

I don't think I have much a choice. I could use the coin. Count me in aswell

And don't you dare try to skimp me from what is due once it is all over...
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5
Equipment: Light Armor, Short Sword, Repeating Handbow (9/10), Helmet, Asur Short Sword, High elf Mage-prince pelt, Lion pelt cloak, Sword belt with gold buckle and sapphire, 10 gold

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2

WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Mercenary_q
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mercenary_q »

500 up front and 1500 after that's more than i made in any of my Slave Runs
Kalhar thought about all the things he would do with the gold.
I'm going to hire a whole network of spies and then your be mine and Not even the Dark Mother herself would be able to help that back stabbing bastard
Kalhar grinned at the thought of the pain he would inflict on the traitors. He saw that 2 of his fellow Mercenaries had declined the drink
what? Their collars of Service must be on to tight..Oh well more for me
Kalhar grabbed a mug of ale and raised it high and shouted
I swear to the dragons below you have my sword and my servitude until this expedition is over
and if you try to betray me I'm going to cut out your heart and feed it too you
Name Kalhar
Weapon Skill: 4
Strength:3
Toughness:4
Dexterity:4
Intelligence: 3

Equipment: dwarf skin Kheitan, a good sword, Old Shield, small bag, cleaning supplies, flask, cold one lotion, 2 herbs 1 Combat dagger 1 tool dagger 4 weeks rations Gold 136
Nooodle
Corsair

Post by Nooodle »

Saffron's eyes widened as he heard the noble speak. He had seen the prices of stuff on the market and was now most interested in the pay since it would help him gather some stuff to.. Improve, his efficiency is slaughtering for his bloody god.

"I am most definitely in." Saffron announced as he saw a pint of ale being set before him. Without much knowledge of what the drink was he gladly took what was offered him.

With that money up front I might be able to gather a few crafting materials I could use to make new weaponry.. He thought as he took as sip of the ale.
Soulsmith
Dark Rider

Post by Soulsmith »

Only a fool would pass this up. he thought, smiling even broader as the details were spelled out. Whilst gold was not his main ojective, it certainly helped in the killing department.

"This sounds like it could be fun."he began, the same hissing quality to his voice as before.

"How will we be getting there?"
Forging souls anew....

EQUIPMENT
SKILLS
None
Yogurtman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yogurtman »

Khelmir bowed his head slightly. I meant no offense, Lord Frost.

That I would bow and scrape before this fool! But still, if there are indeed so many in his house then it must have some influence. I suppose that is enough, for now.

When offered the drink, Khelmir gestured away. I never drink of something that has not been prepared by my own hand.

One of his fellow mercenaries, the one with what appeared to be fangs, spoke: "How will we be getting there?"

Khelmir let out a small, short chuckle, and without turning to look at the man, said coolly: By boat of course. Unless you'd prefer to walk.

He then went to thinking on what would be necessary for the journey. Protective clothing and armor that would not hold much heat would be optimal. Material with which to properly clean his weapon would be necessary, to prevent rusting. And depending on how deep into Lustria they went, a magical ward would be important to the survival of the group. Khelmir mused on how far such a small amount of money as 500 gold went for one man. He did not enjoy his current situation, but that would not keep him from learning from it.

He reminisced for a moment on what he had given up, and then returned to his mental planning, knowing that someday he would have it all back.
Last edited by Yogurtman on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Equipment- Longsword, Light Spear, Handbow, Shield, Light Armour, (Aesthetic) Cloak, Water-proof bag (containing a pestle and mortar, a journal, and writing supplies)
Gold-285
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

"This one has it right, we are to reach Lustria by sea. My brother owns many boats and is away on campaign at Ulthuan for the coming months, so he will not know if I borrow one. Judging from the look of you, a few have already gained their sea-legs while others may not. Fear not, we will be hugging the shore the whole way, just out of war machine range but always in sight of land. The details of our exact bearings and such can wait for now. If you are in, I will be leading you to my Estate and giving you a few days to gather gear with your up front payment."

Frost got up from his place at the table, having finished his own ale and started someone elses though looking none the worse for it, and his bodyguards followed him towards the door. All wanting in on the job, you follow his lead out of the Tavern and back towards the commoners Market. He takes you off in the direction of the Nobles Quarter, but then changes direction before you get there. It seems the Frosts live off to the side of the rest of the Nobles, maybe because they are such a large family, or maybe for their own reasons.

Eventually you are led up to a large stone wall, lined with black iron spikes across the top, set with a large gate defended by two guards. The guards have a certain look about them, clearly they are the Frost families finest. They eye each of you with equal parts hate, disgust and a little bit of the snobby I'm better than you look. One look at the halberds they hold ready at their sides stops you from giving them even a dirty look, let alone a few harsh words. Frost leads on past them and into a building within the walls.

You file in and find yourself in the entrance hall of what can only be Hauclirs house. It is decorated with statues and shields all over the walls, and many doors and two large staircases lead out of this large chamber. He walks across the stone floor, the noise of all your footsteps the only thing disturbing the eerie silence, and into a second chamber. This one is dominated by a large table of stone lined on each side with comfortable wooden chairs. He sits at the head of the table, Jorin and Feulan sitting in the two closest chairs, and the rest of you sitting beyond that, three to a side.

"Welcome to the Frost Estate, and what I like to call House Hauclir. My father owns the building, in fact most of the Estate, but I am the only resident in this particular building. I host most of my meetings in this chamber, so if ever you are called to me this is where I shall probably be. I guess some of you may have further questions, or do you just want your gold already?" he gave a sly smile.

Clearly he did not mind paying you and letting you go to the Market and other such places, but it may be worth asking further details about the task at hand.

OOC - I can think already of several things some of the characters may want to know such as more about the artefact, more about the boat, more about Lustria, how long the journey will take, how deep into the Jungle the artefact is, how soon after their return they will get money!! etc.
Nooodle
Corsair

Post by Nooodle »

Saffron quickly nodded to the noble. He just wanted his pay and get out to the market since he didn't mind what the mission included really. For him it was just another option to expand his knowledge and prove his worth to his bloody god.

After receiving the five hundred pieces of gold Saffron set out to the market to gather the stuff he would need.

Lemme see.. A big sturdy bone and a grinding stone.. Some Sea Dragon leather, bones, horns and maybe some slave skin lace... And some slave blood... Along with some food rations and maybe a water sack... Saffron thought as he walked towards the market.

Saffron goes to the market to search for those materials.

OOC: I've PM'ed you so you know what you're dealing with. Just pass me the prices for each of those materials in proper quality and I'll see what I can and cannot afford. :P

Whilst wandering the Commoners Market Saffron finds:
- grinding stones and whetstones going cheap for 5g
- sea dragon leather looks to be 40g per sq meter for decent quality
- large bones at around 30g
- slave skin and blood are just a few gold coin each
- smaller bones cost about 5g each and horns 15g
Soulsmith
Dark Rider

Post by Soulsmith »

Valgar stood tall as he was handed the money, hissing a thanks from between his sharp teeth before leaving. He would bow for no noble, for in Khaine's eyes, none were above those who devoted themselves wholly to his service. The money bag felt heavy, alien to his hands, who were not used to money. He usually got a few coin by little odd jobs here and there, killing those peasants who had done wrong, or an annoying slave. That, or he simply bullied and stole.

The streets were not the fullest they had ever been, but the throng was still clogging up the roads. He shifted between them, sliding easily between ignorant little children or women. Those who didn't move from necessity took one look and got out of the way. His feral appearance, teeth and loose clothing, comprised of rough materials like linen, sea dragon leather areas and some from the flesh of more...civilized...beings.

Blood to offer on the journey when there is nothing fresh for Khaine, weaponsmith and maybe a trainer. I could use a bout. Valgar though as he pounced up onto a rather vicious fountain, peering across the stalls.

There is a weaponsmith nearby and blood is common on the markets of Vikarh, so will not be hard to find. For a trainer you are best asking Hauclir than looking on the market.
Forging souls anew....

EQUIPMENT
SKILLS
None
Mercenary_q
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mercenary_q »

Kalhar grinned for the first time in a while. It had been a long time since he had held any gold in his hand and the amount he was holding now almost caused him too feel ecstatic. Kalhar just wanted to run to the nearest Flesh house and spend this easily earned bounty but he knew better
Just be patient and soon I will have my revenge
He saw that 2 of the Mercenaries already left for the market place and Kalhar followed swiftly. As he walks down the Market he looks around
Slaves Ha pathetic creatures
Fighting of the urge to kick one he looked around the market place
I will need a light bag for items I need, a new Kheitan preferably dwarf skin, a new blade for mine is old and worn, some ointment against those foreign plant and insects poisons of Lustaria and perhaps a new flask and I will need cleaning supplies for my blade

As you browse the Market the best offers you find are:
- light bag which should hold some weight for 20g
- dwarf skin Kheitan for 140g
- a good sword with a sharp edge for 120g
- flask and cleaning supplies are just a few gold each
- unfortunately there is nothing on display to help with Lustrian poisons
Name Kalhar

Equipment: dwarf skin Kheitan, a good sword, Old Shield, small bag, cleaning supplies, flask, cold one lotion, 2 herbs 1 Combat dagger 1 tool dagger 4 weeks rations Gold 136
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

As some of the other mercenaries took their pay and left for the market, Zarloyth seated himself a bit more comfortably in his chair, though somewhat limited in this by his armour. Let the others sate their greed and spend their coin. There's a few things I'd like to know first, he thought. Before I leave I want to ask some questions about this expedition. First of all, what type of ship will we set sail on? Am I right assuming she is to be crewed by just the nine of us?

"Aye, just the nine of us on a small reaver. My companions here can sail, and just as well some of you can, it will make the journey easier and hopefully faster."

How deep into the Lustrian jungles d'you expect we'll go?

"Not far, we are headed for a small ancient city called Xuapec, which is only a few days walk from where we will be making birth"

And last of all, care to tell us some more about the nature of this artifact?

"Details of the artefact can wait until everybody is together. Here, take your gold, I suggest you go fetch some supplies."

Allright, that'd be all. Now, if I could get my pay upfront as well, then I can go get me some extra gear. as he walked for the door, the corsair turned around, momentarily glancing at Jorin and Fuelan. When I get back I could use a good sparring match...

Minutes later Zarloyth prowled the markets of Vikarh, pushing himself through the bustling crowd with many a curse and glare. Though he knew this wasn't busy at all compared to Vikarh's usual state of affairs, Zarloyth found that he wasn't very used to cities anymore. Sure, the arks were like floating cities, but the people living in it were different alltogether. Oh well, I'll be back at sea within a few days, he thought. He was looking, first of all, for a blacksmith, and his feet automatically carried him to the very same dockside where he had purchased his armour, nearly half a century ago. Sure enough, the smithy was still there, and the corsair walked in, hoping to strike a deal for a heavy, single-bladed greataxe, a mail skirt and a pair of long knives. His bastard sword would likely fetch him some coin as well, though old, the weapon was still in good condition.

When he exited the blacksmith, the corsair went looking for a waterbag, enough iron rations for several weeks, and a sea-dragon cloak.

The following prices are what you find:
- the blacksmith will take your current sword for 70g
- single-bladed great axe of decent quality is 200g
- a mail skirt will cost you 75g
- a pair of long knives for 60g

Out of the blacksmith the following:
- waterbag for just a couple of gold coin
- several weeks of rations for 8g a week
- sea dragon leather is priced per square meter at the market
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

Mak saw the other's leave to go abouts their preparations. He listened to the armored corsairs questions. I suppose the voyage should be long enough to hear more of the particulars of the voyage, but maybe just the strong points will be good to know. So he listened in.

Once the elf had left, he turned back towards the Noble. The son of a Quartermaster's mate, a title which he had bestowed upon himself in this new beginning of his, he knew a thing or two about mercantilism and the avenues of acquisition. The marketplace wasn't the only place to find supply. In fact, he might have as good of a place right in front of him.

Mak offer's to grab some drink (OOC: if nearby, otherwise disregard) and pour some for Lord Frost.

Lord Frost, I'm... somewhat knew to this city. In fact, I haven't been here hardly more than a day. I'm afraid I don't know well the merchants of this city nor would I know if what I would be purchasing would be a fair price or not.

Mak sat back and took in his surroundings appraisingly.

Clearly the Frost family is large as you say.

Looking at the bag in front of him. ...and as wealthy as you say.

Therefore I have a suggestion, or you might see it as a proposition. With a family like yours, I am sure you have an armory, alchemist and other such provisions in store along with training grounds for your guards, guests and other family members, no?

Mak paused to wait for Lord Frost's acknowledgement before continuing.
Frost nodded with a slight smile and a quizzical look, clearly he was intrigued to hear this mercenary out.

Well, being that I don't know the merchants here, I don't quite feel comfortable bartering directly with them. And knowing you have a vested interest in me being as well kitted and preparred for the trip, to see it to success that is... I would feel much more comfortable using items that have been inspected and approved by your house. Merchants are always quick to try to sell newcomers less than satisfactory equipment and I wouldn't want to find myself protecting your flank and have a sword shatter trying to parry a riposte to your side.

With a wave of his hand, Mak continued, If you're not comfortable with me taking things outright, put a respectable lean against my share of the treasure we might return with and when I return your house's gear, remove the lean and give pay. I trust a Noble such as yourself would be far in the lean.

Not likely, but that didn't matter right just yet with money that didn't yet exist.

If we're agreed, I'll have a look in your armory, provisions, alchemist or whatever else might be helpful in preparation, with the company of your guards to tally of course.

Mak looks back at the noble with a merchant's smile, waiting for his answer

Mak thinks to himself while waiting, This should save me considerable time not going to the marketplace and all. Lustria is a tough place, hot, humid and full of disease. I should look to building my constitution, perhaps a stint in the house's training grounds would be in order to harden myself up.

"An unexpected proposal, to say the least... though quite an honest one, it would seem. You are correct, my family is large and wealthy and owns many of everything you have mentioned, of which the armoury is right around the corner. I tell you what, take your 500 gold from the table, and I will have someone show you to my armoury. You can purchase from it if you wish, though the Market may be cheaper after all. I can't have you moving around the rest of the Estate though, others will not take kindly to your presence.
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2

WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Mercenary_q
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mercenary_q »

Kalhar checked his new equipment. Tt sparkled and shone beautifully while Corsair was dirty and unwashed
what a befitting irony for me covered in new equipment but i still look a slave. Mother of Night will my accursed luck never end
Kalhar was satisfied but he knew he was going to need some herbs if he wanted to make it in and out of Lustaira without dying of some foreign disease.
I suppose normal Druchii Medicine would have to do I also require some knifes ...Maybe some Cold one Poison I heard Cold one Riders rub it in their wounds to numb pain that could come in useful. I could also use it if someone becomes a nuisance
A great smile appeared on the dirty Corsairs face. People around him made an effort to avoid him because a druchii smiling to himself usually meant alot of problems for someone else
Might as well keep looking I got enough gold
Kalhar resumes his browse at the market looking for Cold One Poison, some knives, Druchii Herbs and whatever other interestng trinkets he could find

Knives are not hard to find on a Druchii market, but price depends on quality and type. Throwing daggers can be bought in a set of 5 for 60g but would require some skill to use. Daggers around 15g each and 20g for a better one. Tool style knifes, aka not combat, are about 10g.

Also on show:
- Cold One Lotion for 40g a vial
- Herbs which speed up healing are 20g and must be chewed to use
Name Kalhar

Soulsmith
Dark Rider

Post by Soulsmith »

Valgar headed to the blacksmiths. The sound of metal being beaten rang around the square, and the smell of burning and sweat could be smelt much further away, ash carried on the wind. As he tucked his head under the awning, the wave of heat replaced the forever chill winds that came with living in Naggaroth.

"How much would you buy these for?" he asked, his teeth hissing menacingly as he spoke in a fluid and dangerous tone. His eyes looked over what was on the bench and on racks around him. A veritable feast to those who spilt blood in his name. He offered his dagger and short sword up to the blacksmith's attentive eyes, suddenly caught by the promise of a new canvas to paint upon.

"Let's have a look. Hmm, 10 for the dagger and 60 for the sword. They don't look like they're worth much more to me"

"You'd be surprised at the quality of these." he smiled, purposely revealing his fang-like teeth.

"You can have the dagger for 15, Im keeping the sword."

After the blacksmiths reply, Valgar spied something interesting. A new short sword glittered, its edges sharp and brutally spiked, as is the way of the Druchii. Next to it was a spear, with a similar barbed tip, which was about as long as a short swords blade.

"How much for those?" he asked, his eyes twinkly as his imagination played out the havoc such tools could wreak.

"No can do for the sword, it's on hold. Not that you'd afford it anyway. The barbed spear is a new thing, first of those I have made. Not sure what to sell it for, why not make me an honest offer?"

"How about 50 gold? I have several other mercenaries with me, I could always... advertise your business to them?" he said, finishing as he fished out the rather stuffed gold bag.

"Sure I can't afford a another short sword like that?" he asked, jingling the bag for effect.

"More like 100 for the spear, you pay for quality, even if it is just a prototype. I can do a similar sword for 120g, which is fine metal but not barbed. Like I said, that one is a one off."

++++++

Valgar returned to the market, turning to a stall dealing in goods wrought from slaves and other beings. Valgar gripped a few vials of lifeblood, asking the price. After finding out they were simply 1 gold each, he grabbed 5. Should be enough for the weeks of traveling before fresh blood can be spilt.

++++++

Valgar turned back, returning to the house of Frost with his new purchases and hard rations. The guards sent a glare his way, which he ignored as they remembered his face and let him through. Then again, he wasn't often forgotten. He returned to his new paymaster.

"Do you have anywhere to train in this large estate of yours, noble Frost?"
he asked, his tone laced with sincerity.

"Indeed, we have a training ground and more. Why not wait until all of your companions have returned to us, then we shall head over to the sparring halls."
Last edited by Soulsmith on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forging souls anew....

EQUIPMENT
SKILLS
None
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

Pleased with himself, Zarloyth returned to the Frost estate. For a meagre 497 gold he had acquired all he needed, which, with his own gold and the pay for his sword, still left a good 132 coins in his purse. As the scowling guards let him pass by, obviously not impressed by his new axe, Zarloyth threw them a cold glare. When he entered the estate he arrived just in time to hear the question of the harpy-like druchii.

I'd like to know as well, I could use some exercise, he said.

Once everyone is here Hauclir has said he will take you all to the sparring grounds.
Yogurtman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yogurtman »

Khelmir waited for the other mercenaries to collect their payment and leave, studying the interior of the room they were in all the while. When at last he was left alone with Hauclir Frost and his bodyguards, Khelmir moved forward to speak.

Lord Frost, there is one matter concerning me in this venture into Lustria, a concern which has only increased knowing that we will be entering one of that continent's ancient cites. Will we have some form of magical protection? I do not know what you have heard of the creatures that dwell there, but I assure you they are not to be trifled with or disregarded. The same can be said of the very jungles of Lustria as well.

Frost stroked his hairless chin thoughtfully, "Wise concerns indeed, I expected somebody to think of such things sooner or later. First, be sure to note that this Xuapec is a small settlement compared to the legendary Temple Cities. It will probably be deserted, perhaps mildly guarded. I wouldn't run into a larger heavily defended city with just nine men, I am no fool. The creatures of Lustria are but a step we must overcome if we are to retreive the artefact I desire. Lizardmen, as I have known them to be called, are good ambush predators, but the numbers I expect to meet will be no match for nine Druchii.

As for magical warding, there is a little I can offer. I have contacted a sorceress who is tied to my family through oath and she has offered me some necklace trinkets. I did not pick them up yet, as I was unsure how many I would need, and they set me back a hefty sum. As long as you are wearing it you should be shielded from unwanted magical attention, so any lizard mages should have a hard time detecting us. They wont help in combat though, you'll need your wits about you should a situation arise. I hope these words have been of value to you.
"

Khelmir moves to collect his 500 gold, not bothering to count them or weigh the bag in his hand. After thinking for a moment, he asks: Would you happen to know, Lord Frost, where I could find a finely crafted spear?

"A weaponsmith at the market it your best bet."

Khelmir heads out to the market to search for: A spear, a hand crossbow, a sea-dragon cloak green in color, a water-proof bag, pestle and mortar, leather-bound journal with a lock and key, and writing supplies. That should be all that is necessary. Though with only nine people, I doubt we shall return without casualties. If the noble is truly as foolish as he appears then one casualty is already assured. Khelmir laughed at his own joke, Though he knew that it was no laughing matter: should Frost die with the artifact already in hand, there would be a fight to claim it. And if that happened then there would be no getting back. No, better to keep the fool protected until all was done.

This is what you can find:
- a light spear with a sharp metal top for 50g
- a handbow are new contraptions still fresh on the scene and will set you back 110g
- sea dragon leather is priced per square meter and can be cut into cloaks
- water proof bag 30g
- pestle and mortar 8g
- journal and writing supplies 12g

While in the market a druchii of similar in size brushed past Khelmir, almost knocking him to the ground. He wore mismatched boots and quickly moved on, vanishing into the crowd. Khelmir brushed off where the man had touched him and cursed him under his breath.

While speaking with a local shop owner about the current political climate in Naggarond and the recent troop movements in Ulthuan, Khelmir heard a several loud voices coming from a nearby stall. A man in mismatched boots, possibly the one from before, was haggling quite loudly with the stall owner over the price of a dagger. Khelmir's eye fell on a small bulge inside the elf with the boot's cloak.

Why buy a dagger of such low quality, when you already have one?

Khelmir, having left the marketplace, was now beginning to walk through the nobles section. As he passed a corner he heard two young voices, talking as lovers do. Turning to glance at them, he was surprised to see the elf with mismatched boots once more. The elf was presenting a beautiful druchii woman of seemingly similar age with a dagger far finer than the one which the male elf had been so heatedly bargaining for.

As Khelmir turned back to the road in front of him, he saw out of the corner of his eye both the male and female turn slightly to watch him.

He did not stop. He did not run. He walked at the pace he had been and turned at the nearest corner.

Then he ran.

Khelmir wiped the sweat from his face and composed himself before entering the Frost household. He took a seat in the room where the meeting with Hauclir Frost had been held earlier, and breathed a silent sigh of relief.
Gold-285
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

Mal tilted his head in thanks to Lord Frost's favor. With that, he headed down to the House's armoury. Taking a quick gaze around he looked to the wares, The house certainly keeps good quality around.

He motioned for the storeman to come over, I'll be assisting one of the household's in a private matter, he said I could make use of items held here in the House's armory. Now I'm sure what you have here in the front is top notch quality, but why don't you bring out what you may have in the back... to satisfy my curiosity, he said with a grin.

Mak does well to hide his purse so as not to tip off how much he indeed does have.Oh no, you'll not be getting any more than is valued... No, extra cut off the top for you today, Sir.

Once he returns Mak will look around at this options and decide what to spend his coin on

I'll need some other provisions aswell... Salted food, waterproof pack, herbs/charms to fight against the disease and head of Lustria...
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2

WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4