SAU 15 Signup thread

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Haha, loved the little reference in the beginning of your post on page 2.

To all: Sorry I'm not that active. I have some stuff to fight with IRL.

EDIT: Also, I apologize for the few typo's in my last entry. I am tired.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I'm going to have to apologize a bit as well, I will still try to get my bit in every "day" but my posts may be smaller and too the point then I wanted.
Got a new job and an apprenticeship though.... But it's keeping me really busy IRL

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

What are (event) cards?

Event cards represent events, anomalies and activities that escape the general rules of a SAU. They may be anything, from one-shot abilities to global events such as preventing magic. Event cards (or cards for short) are given to players on an individual basis.

Event cards are used as storyteller tools to represent special events, help balance the game after an unforeseen change and, lastly, as a reward to people who have distinguished themselves in an IC capacity.

How do I get a card?

Event cards are rare, few, and far between; some SAUs have been played with not a single card! They are distributed on a strictly individual basis, based on your progress both over the last Day as the entire SAU. IC involvement, hidden triggers, and certain minigames (such as trivia) are the main roads to receiving cards. Additionally, there is a random factor involved.

If and when you receive a card, you'll be contacted.

Game involvement

The best odds to receive cards lie in being abundantly involved in and contributing to the game. This includes those dedicated players that surpass the bare desire to survive and play the game to its spirit.

People who use or mention strictly OOC information are excluded from this section.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Good job guys, I made too many mistakes at the start to hide them after but you did spot them. A special mention to shadowdark, sleek and telrunya who caught me out from the very start.

Have a good one guys :D
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

Sorry, I had to drop from the game due to my expected delays getting unexpectedly bigger. Sorry guys...

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Trivia Answers for Day 1

"That aside, Captain, how can I be of service to you?"
"I've received a letter from Tarbo; he's coming over on vacation and invites us to come skiing with him."

1) Why was Anleth at the city hall? To share a letter with Mioralynthia. (b)

"Elyssa Salth. I recall her name... Yes, she has won a beauty contest, hasn't she?"
"She was also almost disqualified because she was convinced Easter Monday would fall on a Thursday, this year."

2) Elyssa Salth was almost disqualified from a beauty contest because... she believed Easter Monday fell on Thursday. (d)

Tarbo's job description defied actual description. Officially, he was a trainer at the Temple, based somewhere in the south of Naggaroth. Unofficially, he 'fixed' things and usually, when he was about, something (or someone) needed fixing.
3) What is Tarbo's official occupation? He's a trainer at the Temple. (a)

"Until one day, an elderly elf came to the village. His name was Daynarii, and he claimed to be sent by the Temple to oversee the finishing of construction of their village's centerpiece. Backed by an inexhaustable flow of money, Daynarii succeeded in finishing the upper level and even building an entirely underground catacomb."
4) What does the expedition know of Daynarii? He was an elderly elf who oversaw the building of Redoris' temple. (c)

"Alright, we should find shelter somewhere. We don't want to be caught outside in a Chaos storm."
"Sir, didn't the legend mention catacombs underneath the temple?" Anleth raised.
Tarbo nodded, catching on with the idea, then looked at Mioralynthia. "What do you think? Is that good enough shelter?"

5) The expedition went into the temple catacombs to... seek shelter from the Chaos storm. (c)

Participance: 4/13
Median score: 5/5
Toughest question: 1
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

I'm going to keep following this though because I want to know who the last infiltrator is.
Last edited by Zardock on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Mel'reyna
Beastmaster

Post by Mel'reyna »

Zardock wrote:I'm going to keep following this though because I want to know who the last infiltrator is.

Way to post IC spoilers about somebody who's still active in the game in the OOC thread...........
Last edited by Mel'reyna on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

WS 4; S 2; D 4; T 3; I 5
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Unarmed Fighting
Equipment: 1 Short Sword and 1 Dagger
Gold: 100
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Fark... I editted that out I wasn't thinking there >.>
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Trivia 2 solution

Post by Tarbo »

Trivia Answers for Day 2

While nobody really trusted Elyssa with it, it was generally agreed she was assigned the job with the least likelihood to mess up.
Elyssa was given the task to secure a base perimeter because... it had the least chances of messing up. (c)

"And that's a lot of arrows," the same soldier said.
"Did you see the spear? That was just—wham!—out of nowhere," his comrade added.
"I know! Right before that slab came out from the ceiling."

Earlier, one of the more silent elves was struck down by lightning. What happened to the other? He sprang a deadly trap. (a)

"Sprites are winged, mischievous, tiny creatures that ride up magic channels and vortices, such as those opened when spuriously overcharging a sorcerous spell. They become very playful when inadvertently released in a neighbouring office, and are apparently capable of causing a dire mess in instants."
Sprites are tiny... magical creatures that ride on magical channels. (b)

"Centuries ago, the Temple decided to honour Khaine by erecting a massive cathedral temple in his name on a site in the north of Naggaroth. As the works continued, more workers came and began to settle near the construction site. This ultimately founded Redoris."
How was Redoris founded? The Temple of Khaine had commissioned the building of a cathedral temple, and the workers settled there. (c)

A quick glance on Elyssa Salth's body instantly explained why she was a winning candidate for any beauty contest she had ever entered. An equally quick gaze into her eyes, however, gave Anleth the distinct impression that, although she was obviously alive and well, somebody else was driving.
Looking in Elyssa's eyes gave Anleth the distinct impression that... someone else was driving. (a)

Participance: 3

As an aside, the belated trivia questions for Day 3 are up.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Sorry for the short post, I've not been well for a few days now and only been coming online to keep my RPGs rolling
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Trivia answers for Day 3

Post by Tarbo »

I'm still writing the story and it's coming to be needed as a bit larger than it currently is. I'm hoping to get it done in the next 24 hours. Sorry to leave you hanging for a day, people. I don't like doing it, but it wouldn't be right to post just what I have.

Trivia Answers for Day 3

"Oh, I hear about these raids and artifact hunts and all in, like, Lustria and everything, and I was all like: d'uh, I could totally do that!"
1) Elyssa wanted to come along with the expedition because... she believed she could. (d)

"Right then," a cheery voice suddenly called out. "Who's up for fun and skiing?"
2) Why did Tarbo come to the Temple? He was on vacation. (a)

"Why the exorcism? Why the intricate little ritual that gets my brain blown out of my skull? Why can't this be done like we usually solve problems; why can't we just bludgeon the man out of that body with a big, metal stick?"
3) What does Mioralynthia suggest as an alternative to exorcism? Bludgeoning out the possession. (b)

"Yes, I cleverly devised to break my fall on my spine."
"That... doesn't sound clever."
"I'll freely admit I didn't really think it through, but it seemed like a decent enough idea at the time."

4) Though Tarbo broke his fall on his spine, he later admitted that... he hadn't really thought it through. (c)

"I just love people in uniform. They're, like, totally hot and everything. Can I get one of those suits for my parties?"
5) What made Elyssa want to have an officer's uniform? She thinks people in uniform look hot. (d)

Participance: 2
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Nice one! :lol:

That was loads of fun! I shall definately get involved again in the future provided I have the time when the next SAU comes about.

Conga Rats to everyone on the surviving & succesful side 8)
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

Now that was a twist in the storyline I didn't expect. Really nice find.
I like playing Tarbo's SAUs; aside the entertaining story (which previously even included an Imperium fortress of Warhammer 40K!), it has a good base of characters that feel real and it gives the players some shine-time.

I liked the roles a lot too. There were quite a few creative ones (and risky too) and I got lucky to be paired off with Telrunya as twins. Saying the man's insight is impressive is an understatement. The role did entail some risk, however and we soon noticed that by being attacked on both Night 1 and 2.

The new game had an interesting twist because there were no more 'kills' at Night. It also made it a lot harder and with so many players dropping out due to inactivity it put our backs against the wall quickly. I guess Tarbo suffered more from it given that he had to wrap up the story in fewer Day- and Night-phases.

I'd like to congratulate Deroth for being such a skilled opponent and of course, the other players for doing such a great job (and not voting me off, even if I might deserve it ;) ).

So, when's the next one? :D
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Ah well, you got us. Its weird, I would have thought that this would be nearly immpossible for the good guys, not having the knowledge of those murderd to go on. But this was a good group, realy decisive and very insightful.

And as allways thanks to Tarbo, the first and simply the best creater of the SAUs.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

Nice game, people, I had a lot of fun with it. I hope nobody takes offence to some of the harsher conversations :)

And especially Tarbo: thank you a lot! I bet you have put a lot of time into this game. The background story was very nice; Daynarii's motivation came as an unexpected twist which did not seem to be farfetched. It makes me feel kind of sorry for the 'good guys' to have won.

It also seems the game should have lasted longer for the story to develop naturally. But with a record high of 40% inactivity kills, games tend to be a few days shorter than expected.

This game was clearly different from the other SAU's I have played. No nightly kills, information you had on previous days degrades quickly into useless. You have to use different techniques to find the 'bad guys'. I liked it and I have the impression the game was well-balanced but due to the extremely high drop-out rate, we almost started directly in the end game.

The high dropout rate also disguises the parallel/nightly game that is being played. There were many imaginative character roles, with nicely balanced abilities. Having a 'light' and a 'dark' side to all abilities was a nice touch.

I liked the Favoured Soul a lot as he would probably develop to be the opposite of the Haunt. In a certain sense, both add a member to their team every night. A natural candidate for leading the council. It would be fun to see the reaction if someone from team 'Favoured Soul' would be converted. He becomes harder and harder to vote off, and you can't really convert him.

The concept of the Souless One was very nice. Too bad he dropped out at the very beginning. Same goes for the Adept.

I enjoyed playing one of the Twins. The strength of having discussion during the Day-phase of the game is something I underestimated when I was handed my role. And there is of course the advantage to work closely with an established SAU-monument as SleekDD. SleekDD, it was a pleasure :)
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Thank you for the praise, everyone. It is always nice to see the game enjoyed and appreciated.

Though I was not the first SAU host. SAUs 1 & 2 were hosted by Ragnarok, 3 by SleekDD, 4 by Darmort, and 5 by Morvai. I've only kicked off on 6, and went on (and on and on) with 8, 9, 10, 12, and this one, 15. Few people of the original game are still playing: SleekDD, Mel'Reyna, and myself all the way back in 1, Telrunya in 2. Ashnari Doomsong in 1 as well, though he didn't play this game. God, we were all so horridly bad at the game back then. ;)

Most any SAU I've hosted had the questionable privilege of breaking some record. SAU 8 saw the very first council victory on Druchii.net, and a very spectacular one: 4 infiltrators, 4 game days (*). SAU 9 was the first SAU to last only 3 game days, a traumatic victim of inactivity kills, and incidently was also the highest profile game that I recall. SAU 10 was a lone wolf victory, with only a single infiltrator (Mel'Reyna). And this SAU saw the highest modkill count ever: depending on how and who you count, 5 or 6 kills. That's a staggering 33% to 40%!

I'm a bit sad to see the game never really gain its intended momentum. As SleekDD mentioned, while the council had a pretty good record going for itself, it was continually pressed with its back to the wall. Ideally, the game would run for a Day or two, maybe three --giving, say, 4 infiltrators-- before everything would truly unfold. Even the story was geared towards that pace, which makes the endpiece now feel a little... rushed to get even the barest elements in.

But there are certainly bright sides to the game. It was pleasant to see even the newest members throw themselves into the game, full throttle. Of course, some mistakes were made, but mistakes are the name of the game: since rarely if ever some sort of conclusive evidence turns up, some manner of... creative analysis is needed, and a healthy dose of risk-taking.

In the end, what counts is that the players have fun. And if you have fun, I'll remain your willing host. ;) Either that, or a horridly obnoxious player.

(*) Like most of the council victories, it started with a 'random' vote idea launched by our resident Telrunya and SleekDD back then. And the reason I quoted 'random' is because I don't really buy the whole random thing to it: for a random vote, it's always uncannily accurate.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

And yet the idea is allways contested. I am a relative new commer, (obviously since I thought that you started these things) but I have never seen a council where some one didn't try and use the idea of a random vote as evidence against some one (to my shame I did it my self the first time I played, idiot boy).

Right, who wants to run the next one then?
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

First of all, thanks for another great SAU. Not only in regards to he players, but especially because of Tarbo, who you can always count on making things interesting in terms of narrative.
I had fun, even though I didn't throw myself as much into it as I would like.

I wouldn't mind hosting, or co-hosting a SAU soon, but if it's to be the next, I don't know.
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

Damn, I missed it this time. I always like to play in these. Oh well, I suppose I can watch and wait for the next one.