Shadow Arena - Out of Character Discussion

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Its less spectaculer than cuting of their head. Not by much I will admit but this way you get more blood plus you can toss the head into the cheap seats and let the crowd forget their dignity and scramble for it. It works in ball games after all.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

So, who is interested in there being a Deathmatch II?
51la5
Executioner

Post by 51la5 »

I'm in.
Silas Group 24

Weapon Skill 3
Strength 2
Dexterity 5
Toughness 2
Intelligence 5

Skills: Basic Stealth.

Equipment:
short sword, repeater crossbow, Light green shade cloak, Fire lighter, Stealth armour, Map, 48 gold.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Definatly interested.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

In that case I shall get right to making a recruitment thread. There are only likely to be one or two more turns of Deathmatch I and the winner is welcome a spot in Deathmatch II with their character.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

That would be Dalamar. :P

Just remember it's largely thanks to me you're going to be able to bring down Threkki! He's a tough *bleep*.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Anything can happen :P
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
T'keela
Noble

Post by T'keela »

Me of course. I'm rolling a vampire! =P
T'Keela Darkspine
Group 30
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D4 I4
Equip: Sword, Light Armour, blackpowder pistol, 4 bullets, 2GP.
Skills:
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Just another thing I wanted to bring up now...

I have just reread the entire mechanics and character creation posts and refined them. It may therefore be necessary for you to reread some things, though the main thing I corrected was the removal of Medium Armour. Heavy armour now has the same hinderance but less movement penalty. Carrying a large shield also now gives a movement penalty. This means armour saves can be maxed out at 2+ (heavy armour, large shield, helmet) but this leaves only room for a single hinderance point in weapon selection. I hope that makes sense. Basically, no more 1+ armour saves.

Also, what are peoples opinions on the special abilities? Are there any that you feel are overpowered or unfair?
T'keela
Noble

Post by T'keela »

No problems with the abilities I like the idea of them though I generally forget I have them. :?

I did have a few queries/etc questions;
1) Do spears use 2 hands? In TT they don't but you haven't mentioned in the weapon posts what weapons are 2-handed and what aren't. I can assume Great Axes, Great Swords, Halberds are 2-handed but was just curious about spears.
2) Would you be willing to add Shurikens/Throwing Knives in the next Deathmatch? Simply to add some flavour and I'm not a fan of carting around big shooty weapons, I'd rather something I can quickly launch at an opponents face while makign a tactical retreat during combat.
3) In the other RPGs the general concensus is that you cannot use two weapons of varying size together, I was curious as to whether this is the same in Deathmatch? Say is using two Long Swords together acceptable or would I be penalised?
4)I had an idea for a weapon; Daggers - pretty much the same as short swords except they increase the chance to disarm someone, this is due to the fact that they are small and you could easily block with say a mainhand weapon then use a dagger to make a stab at someones fingers or slash at their wrist or whatever.

Other than that I loved the first two, good luck to Daltheira and I'm keen for the third.

EDIT: Got spears and shields mixed up...some how...
Last edited by T'keela on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
T'Keela Darkspine
Group 30
Skills:
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Just have a question about armour saves, are they modified by attackers strength?

Also are shields destroyable or are they indestructible?

By the way im keen for the next one but wont add my profile until this one is over, that ok?

EDIT:

T'Keela wrote:
1) Do spears use 2 hands? In TT they don't but you haven't mentioned in the weapon posts what weapons are 2-handed and what aren't. I can assume Great Axes, Great Swords, Halberds are 2-handed but was just curious about spears.

Look in this thread here http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=60935
It tells you what weapons are 2handed and which are not
:D

4 - Character Weapons
Pick your characters weapons from the following list, checking the names beside them to make sure that your selected race is able to use such a weapon. You may never take more than one ranged weapon. The number beside the weapon, marked with a h, is its hindrance value. Weapons and armour both have hindrance values, and your characters total hindrance may never exceed 6. If a weapon has a * next to it then it requires two hands to wield. You may take as many weapons as you wish, up to your total hindrance value, but may only ever use a single two-handed weapon, pair of one-handed weapons or a one-handed weapon and a shield at any one time.

Short Sword - High Elf, Dark Elf, Human, Marauder (h1)
Long Sword - High Elf, Dark Elf, Human, Marauder (h2)
Great Sword* - High Elf, Dark Elf, Human (h2)
Hand Axe - Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf, Marauder (h1)
Great Axe* - Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf (h2)
Spear - High Elf, Dark Elf, Human, Marauder (h1)
Mace - Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf, Human, Marauder (h1)
Warhammer* - Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf, Human, Marauder (h2)
Halberd* - High Elf, Dark Elf, Human, Marauder (h2)

Short Bow* - High Elf, Human (h1)
Long Bow* - High Elf, Human (h2)
Repeater Crossbow * - Dark Elf (h2)
Crossbow* - Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf (h2)
Sling - Human, Marauder (h1)
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I just have one point, halbards, shouldn't they have a long reach, if great weapons do then surely a halbard should.

Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

You tend to hold a halberd two handed, with one hand quite near the head to be able to deliver more powerful blows. Therefore it's reach is not equal to that of, for example, a spear. I hope that makes sense. Any more views on the matter?

Shield should be destroyable I guess, perhaps able to bust if hit by a Str7+ hit on a 4+ chance? As for armour saves, I was modifying them in a similar way to in warhammer. If a character with a save of 4+ was hit by Str 6 hit, it goes down to 5+, Str 7 then 6+, and so on. So same as Warhammer but starting modifiers at Str6 not Str4.

Yes, the two handed weapons were listed.

Throwing Stars and Daggers are a posibility. Give me a while to think on it, any more views?
Kajchi
Dark Rider

Post by Kajchi »

Never mind the last OOC post in my IC post, I will be able to post tomorrow.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Just to let everyone know I am leaving for Holland on Monday and will not be getting any internet access until the weekend after. I hope Deathmatch I will complete itself before I leave, so that Deathmatch II can launch on my return.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

DAMN, I'm always killed by the last person left. Ah well good job Dalamar, I'll get you next time :twisted:
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Deathmatch II will be starting next weekend, so sign up while you still can guys!!
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Presumably we still use this thread for Death Match II?

Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Indeed we do, and if it does end up turning into a big pit of spam I can delete and remake it every now and then to stop people gaining post count through pointless comments here. If kept on topic (ironic, since this is the off topic Shadow Arena thread) it shall remain like so.
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Damn it. If there's an allaince I might just be screwed over very quickly.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Considering T'keela decided to wander off and fight dwarfy it doesn't make much of a differance. For the moment at least.

Gentleman of Moderation
T'keela
Noble

Post by T'keela »

Eh well Like you know I was worried the humie and the dwarf would be like, "Oh my god lets hold hands and skip towards the assassin and sit on his face while hacking at his legs with swod and axes." So I decided I'd be like rawrrrr! run into the dwarf hopefully kill him kcik the humie in the nuts run over to Drainlal and save his elvish beehind!.
T'Keela Darkspine
Group 30
Skills:
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Mako didn't want to get involved, but the crowds can be nasty here.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I have to say, that plan did not go all that well.

EDIT: Am I reading the rules wrong or does diliverence mean instant death for any evil player now that the damage points have gone down?

Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Congratulations to Deroth in winning in DmII.

I have a busy few weeks ahead but the next Shadow Arena game, when it happens, will not be a Deathmatch but something new. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks all!