Group 28

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Carathyle

The battle between two Maverics was intense; Coreleth driven by ignorant hate, blood lust and confusion, Carathyle by years of neglect and martial pride. It became clear that neither would gain a swift victory for each fought in the same manner and with the same equipment. Carathyle's youthful vigour was matched by his father's greater experience, they were in stalemate. Carathyle knew he had to break the pattern and so he turned to a plan fitting to his name, as rash as it was bold, as mad as it was inspired. Sheathing his obsidian sword he instead took the looted Miabed's knife in hand. Although far shorter than his long sword and less familiar in his hand the deadly poison needed only one touch to go about its work, when faced with an armoured warrior with the reach of a long sword though getting that one brush would not be easy.

“So far, we both used tactics only known to the House of Maveric, for we are the only ones being trained by a High Elf. Open your blasphemous eyes Old man, I bear the sign of Maveric, I am your heir!" Carathyle snarled, incensed by his father's self righteous pomposity. The moment of confusion this caused Coreleth was ample for Carathyle to make his assault. Driving forwards Carathyle stabbed high towards Coreleth's face but the older elf managed to jerk out of the way with inches to spare. Swinging his blade back round Coreleth forced Carathyle to duck and strike again. The younger elf dared not step back, inside Coreleth's guard was a dangerous place to be but at least from here he could also strike with his shorter weapon. In flash Carathyle thrust against his father's body again and again seeking some gap but the older elf was wily and ensured that his knife found only hard steel. Stepping forwards Coreleth surprised Carathyle by shortening the distance even more, he was every bit as much a maverick as his son it seemed. Standing right on top of Carathyle he smashed the hilt of his sword down hard onto Carathyle's shoulder. The force drove Carathyle to his knees, his shoulder screaming from the spike at the hilt's end. He was not done though. From the floor he thrust upwards.

Time seemed to slow, every breath lingering, every heart beat echoing like the call of distant drums. Carathyle's knife slid home. The torn chain mail of Coreleth's leg protection could not stop this blow, it was precise, it was clinical. The Maibed's blade sank only inches into the meat of the elf lord's thigh but it was enough. With a scream of rage and pain Coreleth kicked out, his boot hammering Carathyle down onto the flag stones but already the damage had been done. Staggering back he clutched at his leg, looking desperately to Ferion for help that would not be forthcoming. Spasming Coreleth Maveric fell to his knees, his body twitching violently as the poison rampaged throughout his blood. Climbing back to his own feet Carathyle unsheathed his obsidian sword once more, it was the only fitting weapon with which to end his father's life, again.
"Khaine must love me," he gloated as he strode towards his eternal foe "to let me kill you twice," the confusion in his father's eyes was priceless. Raising his obsidian blade in two hands Carathyle thrust down, the sword plunging through the neck and collarbone deep into his lungs and even to putrid guts within.

Pulling his sword free Carathyle was greeted by a fountain of blood, Coreleth's life blazing away. Raising it before him Carathyle gloried in the patina of fresh gore upon the darkling steel.
"You have killed me... my son," Carathyle's head snapped around in confusion. The voice was indisputably that of his father, and yet his father was dead. Twice dead now.

"Love and hatred, there are no stronger forces in the world. The battles between brothers are always the most fierce and you have grown fierce. I gave you that at least." It was coming from the sword, Carathyle realised, his father's voice. Startled he looked to Ferion but the old elf said nothing, he could not hear.
"It is done then," his mentor said instead, Carathyle could only nod...

Syjahel

Regaining her feet Syjahel swiftly got her breath back as Sultra's warriors hacked her pursuers' apart, numbers and armour both being on their side. Ki'lia rose from one newly made corpse, the spike of her pole axe dripping with blood. Nodding a brief welcome Syjahel said

"Did you pass through the tree? We have accounted for as many Dalvians as we could catch; you found the trail of corpses. That was timely intervention. My thanks. I do not know what became of the rest - we all entered that damned tree - but let's find them and go after Naylia as quickly as we can."

Ki'lia nodded in response, her troops rallying around
"Indeed, the signs you left were easy enough to follow and lord Sultra seemed to recognise the tree but have you any notion of how to leave this place? Is Naylia in here?" To these questions Syjahel had little in the way of good answers
“Naylia is not here, or at least we don’t think so, but the Dalvian who led us here claims to know where she is. Unfortunately I haven’t seen any sign of him.”

Seijl & Jacks

Liefon was a handful writhing below him, Seijl reflected that it had been a long time since he had had a female underneath him in the bright open air, this was not quite how he remembered it. Although he was able to hold her in place for now he knew eventually she might wriggle free and any elf, let alone a shade, could be deadly at this range, for all he knew she had poison needles hidden somewhere or a small knife. Without either she could still cause a great deal of pain with hands alone, no shade grew up without learning the basic anatomy of their prey and elves placed high on the curriculum. Needing some respite from Leifon's relentless struggling but having few options, particularly as Jacks wanted her alive, Seijl slammed his head down hard. He heard a satisfying crack followed by a thump as the female shade's head smacked into the ground her nose broken, she was unconscious though who could say for how long. Rolling away he came up in a crouch, taking advantage of her incapacitated state Seijl scooted back over, normally he would cut her throat but in deference to Jacks' wishes he instead took some raw hide strips from her braided hair and bound her hands and feet together, even when she woke she would not be able to move.

Jacks had a more troublesome fight, wounded now he knew he would not be able to out dance his opponent for long. His thigh burned, the wound a line of fire, it was no worse than he had had before but it was bad enough to slow him and here and now that might well get him killed. Knowing this full well the shade stopped dancing and started shooting, another bolt bounced off the warrior's armoured form but it served its purpose, he was charging in again. Weaving to the side Jacks dodged a savage overhand slash, hacking backwards his short sword cracked against the same vambrace with all the force he could muster. The steel buckled, just a little, and the Dalvian barked with pain and indignation. Following up on this Jacks whirled around him ignoring the pain flaring in his own body and made to slash down at his foe's injured knee. The retainer was too canny for this though and rammed his elbow back into Jacks' ribs.

Gasping as the wind was knocked clean out of him Jacks was still not done yet, he was behind the other elf and knew that he was faster. Before the retainer could turn and bring his cumbersome blade to bear once more Jacks stomped down, his boot seeking the back of the other's weak knee. Leather met flesh and although no great damage was caused the warrior's leg crumpled sending him to one knee. Like a manticore leaping on a wounded auroch Jacks dived in. Tossing aside his hand bow Jacks unsheathed one of his poisoned daggers and plunged it down into a small crack where two armour plates met, the slender blade slid through delivering its fateful load. Still gasping for breath and with sweat pouring from every inch of him Jacks staggered back while the unseen chains did their work, as usual it did not take long for the retainer to fall flat on his face, unable to move. It had been one of the hardest battles of Jacks' life and it had taken all of his cunning and agility but he had triumphed. It was something of a hollow victory though for Tiarra was still dead and even knowing that she had not truly been alive did little to soften that blow.

Cananatra

So far Cananatra was winning the fight, two wounds to a slight battering. Against almost any other foe he would already have triumphed but the beastmen of chaos were nothing if not resilient and the minotaur seemed hardly to feel the two great bloody gauges through its flesh. Cananatra had never been an avoidance fighter and that may have been why he hit upon and different strategy, or perhaps he was already getting a taste for pain. In either case he set to taunting the beast

"Come ugly, taste my steel again!"

That the minotaur understood him was doubtful, it certainly showed little sign of intelligence, but truth be told it needed no goading and by the time the elf was back on his feet the monster was already charging. Bracing himself Cananatra knew that he was in for a world of pain, he simply hoped that he could take it and still cause even greater grief his bestial foe. As the minotaur charged closer yet again Cananatra could not help but question his decision but he stood firm even as five hundred pounds of very rare sirloin hit home. I wiser creature might have hung back and made good use of the reach its height and massive weapon gave it but wisdom is not something minotaurs are renowned for, with its horns lowered it charged straight up Cananatra's sword.

The good Druchii steel was almost torn from the warrior's hand but he kept it steady as it plunged through tough hide right up to the hilt. More than anything else it was the creature's own height that saved Cananatra, hunkered down beneath his shield he was too low down for the beast's horns to reach and so it was the torso which slammed into him. Even so the weight and momentum of the charge bowled Cananatra over and smashed him into the ground. The breath exploded from his lungs and his sword, still buried in beef, was ripped from his grasp as the minotaur charged straight over him. As it passed a huge hoof slammed into his chest and he felt a rib crack but when he cried out it was as much with pleasure as pain.

As quickly as he could Cananatra scrambled back to his feet, his armour was in a state and he was not without injury but overall he was not too badly off, he was however missing his sword. Having no other weapon left he quickly drew his dagger knowing that if it came to fighting this beast with a hunting knife he had little hope of victory. Looking for his foe however he saw that that would not be necessary. The minotaur had fallen to its knees, its breath came raggedly, frequently accompanied by bellowing roars of anguish. The hilt of Cananatra's sword still poked out from the centre of its chest next to the throwing axe already embedded there. From the rear the very tip of the sword could be seen, the minotaur's own momentum had forced the long sword straight through itself. With another roar the beast man coughed up a torrent of blood, Cananatra could only watch as the beast slowly died. He knew it would be foolish to approach for even in this wounded state it still had the power to destroy the unwary.

After several long minutes the minotaur gave one last shuddering moan and keeled over backwards, landing with an almightily thump. Now Cananatra could approach; reaching down he wrenched his weapons free with some difficulty and made his way over to the tree. There was a shimmer of white light and suddenly Nerieth was standing beside him

"Well done my champion," she said, her smile sending delightfully cruel shivers cascading through his body "Now that the guardian is dead nothing remains but the to destroy the crystal and I will be free to command my realm once more and you and your companions may go freely with my blessing. The crystal is warded against my most powerful magic but the ward against brute force lies dead upon the field already." Nodding his assent Cananatra approached the shimmering crystal in the mouth of the tree; taking his sword in a two handed grip he swept it down, the crystal shattered like glass and as the shards fell to the ground their lustre faded away. Looking up at the sky Cananatra saw the violent clash of colours recede and a blanket of sunrise settle, upon the ground every blasted patch bloomed with new life even more verdant than the meadow surrounding them, a sense of order began to return even to this realm of chaos.

All

A white light engulfed each and every elf imparting a glorious feeling of triumph and warmth even to the coldest and most despondent soul. Sitting up the mercenaries found their heads cleared and their bodies free of pain, an unusual case of affairs at any time for these five and especially after a battle. Opening their eyes they saw that they were back outside the tree but a great deal had changed. Syjahel sat amongst a gaggle of confused looking warriors, Ki'lia amongst them, but they were not the only other elves to be seen. The Dalvian Gil'naresh lay at Jacks' feet still paralysed by the unseen chains but of Leifon there was no sign, she was gone along with the other apparitions which had assailed them. Surrounding them on all sides however a camp had sprung up. Rows of white tents neatly set out, cook fires, horse lines and armoured elves all about. They were in the middle of a small army all bearing the mark of house Sultra. As soon as they appeared a runner sped off towards a large green tent some distance away, outside it a large banner flew, sea green with a black snake at the centre curled round a deep red heart. By the time all of the mercenaries and the warriors who had followed them had collected their senses and were back on their feet Sultra himself could be seen hurrying towards them on the back of a white steed, he was in full armour with a small retinue, all mounted and armed for war.

"You are still alive then I see," his greeting was warm as usual "now where is my daughter?"
Yes it is finally here, unfortunately I can't promise consistent mod posts since truth be told I shouldn't really have done this one but I will do my best. As for the game all of your are unwounded, Nerieth healed you though most of you (all bare Cananatra) are unaware of that fact. The Dalvian has been captured and is paralysed. Carathyle's obsidian sword is now enchanted and empowered by the imprisoned soul of his father who may talk to Carathyle and only Carathyle though if you want to ignore him that is fine, in either case it will be more powerful than before. Cananatra's amulet is enchanted as well imparting greater strength and speed as well as a certain indifference to pain, these are blessings of Slaanesh but the amulet bolsters them considerably. The rest of you will probably get magic items of one kind or another when I can come up with a cool way for you to get them.

If there was something else you wanted to do inside the tree then I apologise, particularly to Jacks (who I assume wanted some time with Liefon) and Syjahel (whose ending was far from satisfactory) but I wanted to get you all back together and draw a line under this particular chapter. Finally sorry for Sultra's mood, it does not match my own but hey, you have to stay in character. I hope the wait was worth it. - Drainial
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Carathyle maveric »

OOC: ME FIRST! It matters to me that I can post again ^_^ WHAT A SALVATION! By the way, Drainial, Carathyle thanks you for this marvellous battle, he can finally put his mind at ease, and accept his birthright title of Noble now. Nice add about his brashness, and thanks for enchanting the sword :D

IC:
Heavily breathing, and with a sore shoulder, Carathyle felt the blood drops land onto him as the fountain of blood originating from his father surged up. Keeping his sword raised, Carathyle slowly let go of it with one hand, lowering it gently and with respect. "You have killed me... my son," was spoken from somewhere, which snapped Carathyle out of his glorified moment. Looking around with a bit of a shock, Carathyle started to wonder. The voice was clearly that of his father, but his father was dead, twice, how could it still exist? "Love and hatred, there are no stronger forces in the world. The battles between brothers are always the most fierce and you have grown fierce. I gave you that at least." It spoke again, this time the origin was far clearer to Carathyle. The obsidian sword, his favoured weapon, spoke to him with his father's voice. Ferion looked at the young noble with respect as well as regret and spoke, "It is done then," to which Carathyle could only nod in agreement.

His head was still rampaging with the thought that his father's soul was captured within the obsidian walls of his sword. Raising it into his sight, Carathyle placed his gauntleted fingertips against the shield of his house. Carathyle dropped to one knee and bowed his head toward his father's corpse, Now, I can live as a true noble Maveric. Now, I can face my opponents with pride, and honour. Now, I know where my place in the world is.

A bright flash of light engulfed Carathyle's senses, feeling warm, cosy and at the same time all the pain just vanished. His eye closed because of the intense light, Carathyle soon saw the light die down, eventually disappearing to into nothingness. Slowly opening his eyes, Carathyle raised to a seat, looking around while placing his hand against his head. How much headache could one have? he thought, removing his hand from his head and placing it on the ground to raise himself to a stance. Before long the headache had vanished, and Carathyle’s sight was as keen as ever. Looking around he could see various tents, all housing the symbol of house Sultra. Apparently Lord Sultra has found us, good to know. He thought, as his sight soon caught the visionage of Lord Sultra.

As he arrived, Carathyle bowed his head a bit, before listening to his employer’s words. “My lord, I can only speak for myself for I do not know what experience they have had in there, but I saw no sight of Naylia.” He replied when his lord was finished. Slightly turning toward his companions, Carathyle quickly felt if the Dranach was on his back, and whether he still carried as much as he did before. While listening to the explanation of the others, Carathyle started to remove the scavenged sword along with the Crossbow. From the crossbow he scavenged the bolts, before gently placing the two on the ground.

Carathyle will remove the sword and the crossbow, making him a bit lighter. He’ll listen to the orders of Sultra, and when Sultra doesn’t give any, he’ll turn to Syjahel for her opinion.

Carathyle Maveric:(Group 28 Warrior)
Ws:5 S:4 T:3 D:4 I:3
Equipment:
Enchanted* Obsidian Long sword, MC Light armour, Dark Steed(Sephirah), Shield, MC Longbow(89 arrows), 56 Circlets, Maibed Dagger, Asur Spear and Disguise.
Skills: Ride, Acrobatics
*Increased Strength, holds the soul of his father
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

OOC: NOOOOOOOO! Fine I'll settle for second! :P

IC:
Jacks stood there, every inch of his body shaking from pain and exertion, the adrenaline started to fade away as soon as he knew the fight was over. But before Jacks could properly bask in his triumph, he was whisked away by the same blinding white light that brought him here, and surely enough, he returned back outside of this cursed place. He was slightly confused at his new, or old surroundings, for it was now littered with camps and life. He had time to note that all his companions were present and still alive, and the Dalvian he fought was still incapacitated on the ground nearby. Though Jacks was a little disappointed Leifon and Tiarra weren't there, his purpose and determination was doubly renewed when he was cruelly reminded why he hated, and hunted to this day. How he missed Tiarra, and how he loathed Leifon, but most of all, loathed missing out on the chance to ask the illusionary one where she was hiding. It might be lies, it might not be real, but an answer gave him more guidance than now.

Regardless, their employer was upon them in an instant like a Drake, and despite being questioned, Jacks had more of his own, such as what happened to his wounds?

Thankfully, the others spoke in his place. The last thing he comprehended was being told to go scout the perimeters. The voice familiar, and in a not very refined manner either.

"Guess our employer is just like our captain, how disappointing." he thought to himself as he took off still unbalanced from all the teleporting.

OOC: Yea...how's THAT for some cheeky for you eh?? See what I did there? :twisted:

p.s. No problem here Drainial, I actually prefer not given the chance to finish off the fake one here, that way Jacks' determination and vengeance is doubly renewed for the real encounter! Grats on the magic items C&C, can't wait to get mine.
Last edited by Meteor on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Vaari
Black Guard

Post by Vaari »

At another time and in another place, Seijl may have enjoyed the position he found himself in, unfortunately the caresses of the one struggling below him would be too fleeting to warrant enjoying the pain that came with them. There was nothing for it really, a warriors kiss knocked the fight out of the female shade. Securing the fallen warrior Seijl turned to see how Jack's fared..then all turned white.

With the lifting of the fog, other clouds blew in. Lord Sultra and his host surrounded the companions, a fact that disturbed Seijl. Events had escalated with dazzling rapidity, the shade felt somewhat bereft. Seeing their lord approach, Seijl saw that there would be little time for further musings.

"You are still alive then I see, now where is my daughter?" Sultra's tone masked very little of his fury. Seijl was surprised that Carathyle was the first to respond.

“My lord, I can only speak for myself for I do not know what experience they have had in there, but I saw no sight of Naylia.” As true as the brash warriors words were, they would do little to placate their host.Damn placating him, he can biatch once the it's over. While in the wood, Seijl had found himself lost, alone with his grim fancies and flights from reason. Those who he bled with grounded him, gave him mettle that he did not possess before. True, he respected his lord but in this instance it was his, friends that held the high ground.

"Your daughter remains in the hands of enemy, once again cursed with the taint. The trail grows cold with the ever increasing enchantments being used to way lay us." Seijl did not expect Sultra to take the defiant tone well. That was too bad, Seijl had already cast his lot with the daughter. Naylia provoked in Seijl a desire to both protect and serve, the old elf would do well to watch for Seijl's knife when the time was ripe."With your permission I will head out immediately, surely Syjahel will best be able to debrief your excellency as to where matters stand." All this time around nobles was loosing the shades lips. He hoped that being out of character and taking the vocal initiative would serve as a misdirection, gaining Syjahel some time to compose herself before she began her usual verbal sparring with their lord. Turning on his heel, Seijl sought out a familiar face amongst Sultra's troops. Truth be told, he had little idea where to start. Information was the key, he had to find out how much time had passed and what had happened in the world outside the wood.

Seijl tells sultra to politely suck it and then goes on an info gathering mission

OOC: ha, i got a little over excited writing that post, grammar be damned, it's party time again@!
Group 28
Name - Seijl Illydrien Class- Shade
Character Stats
- WS 6 - - S 3 - - T 3 - - D 4 - - I 4 -
Equipment
MC Light Armour, MC Buckler, MC Longsword,, Repeater Crossbow, Dagger w/ UC, Dagger w/ DV Shade Cloak. Field Kit (Healing x3), Vials of Unseen Chains (x3 uses) , Vials of Dark Venom (x4 uses) , Lamia Fang, Harpy Claws
Circlets : 260, , Emerald Eye (200Circ.) Rations: 10/10 Bolts: 16/20 , Null Stone
Skills
Basic Stealth - Heal
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Light engulfed them, and with it a feeling of victory and triumph that could only be matched by the glorious resolution of a battle hard-fought and well. Although Syjahel knew intellectually that no such thing had taken place, it still suffused her, leaving her buoyed and resilient, which was perhaps a gift of Khaine to help her bear what was to come.

No sooner had she emerged from the ensorcelled labyrinth of the mind than she was sitting, dazed, amid some of Sultra's warriors and her own, with tents flying the older Lord's banner not far away. Sultra it seemed had found their trail and followed it in haste, though he had not found the Dalvian witch, either - if he had, she would have expected to be awakened by the sound of her screams.

She had barely time to gather herself, and look to her own group, noting with some relief that they all lived and were all, so far as she could tell, as they were when they entered the tree, if in better health. What the magic of the place was, was anyone's guess, and she had no time for idle speculation. There was a paralysed Dalvian lying at Jacks' feet and he might be able to give them more information; for herself, she had none.

Sultra himself was approaching the group with a wrathful countenance and dressed in the martial finery of his house. She stood straight, taking in the spectacle, but as magnificent as he was in his anger he was also quite likely to decapitate her for some imagined failing; canny survivor or not, he was a Druchii highborn and there was no time to enjoy the sight for its own sake. Bringing the horse to a halt he got to the point with his characteristic candour.

"You are still alive then I see, now where is my daughter?"

Carathyle and, unusually, Seijl were the first to speak up, the half-eyed Shade echoing her sentiments to a degree that was uncanny. If Sultra had entrusted his beloved daughter to a small honour guard, on a mission that was obviously being played for far greater stakes than he had admitted, and at commensurately larger risk, then the old Lord had miscalculated to an uncommon degree. Her command had carried out their task with complete efficiency, and had they faced ordinary dangers, she had no doubt they would have triumphed. Bringing sorcery into the equation and then expecting them to do the same, however, would be nothing short of folly. Tilting her chin upward, she resolved to deal with this as highborn do. As the commanding noble, she also bore the responsibility for the group, and no-one was going to accuse House Vasht of shirking their duties as Elven nobility.

"So far as I can tell she is not withing the labyrinth of the mind we faced. I saw no sign of her, and by the looks on my compatriots' faces they did not either. We have been following the Dalvian soldiers since Kil'ia left us to report to you, and we have seen no sign. This one, however."
she toed the paralysed warrior none too gently in the ribs, "was certain that she was alive, so I suggest you put him to the question for what he knows. That is all I can tell you; the details of the illusion I faced can be told, of course, but I would suggest they wait 'til another time, given the urgency of the moment."

She nodded to Seijl and then to Jacks. "A perimeter check would be prudent. See if you can find any idea of numbers or direction - I doubt they will have waited for us to be finished in that maze. When that's done, come and make a report to me, and we can share what we know."

Turning back to Sultra, having she hoped got both her surprisingly mouthy and her notoriously cheeky scout out of the line of fire, she prepared to see what he did next.

Give Sultra a report, prepare to go into detail if need be, refrain from telling him where to shove it since so far as she's concerned, it's his monumental cock-up. Highborn discipline will be much in evidence here. That training was good for something!

OOC: Mouthy ... well, both Syjahel and I agree with Seijl here :D But she won't be telling Sultra what she thinks of him just yet. Incidentally, the spell-checker suggests 'censored' for 'ensorcelled' :p
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Cananatra
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Cananatra »

The death of the minotaur was surprisingly pleasant. As was the broken rib, though it was equally painful and curiously warm. This slaanesh blessing is fairly useful. He took a deep breath, feeling the bone grate and the twin sensations sweep through his chest. If this lasts out in the real world, as it probably will, it will be a significant boon on top of the physical benefits. His thoughts were interrupted by the appearance of what now seemed to be his patron in the ranks of slaanesh. All it took was a good strong swing with his weapon to shatter the blasted crystal and remove the influence warping this reality. The land changed before his eyes, briefly, before a bright light engulfed him.

He found himself lying on the ground, in itself not unpleasant, and suffused with a very pleasant feeling. His breathing made it most clear the broken rib had been fixed during the flash. As he opened his eyes he was rather surprised to find not only his companions but also extra warriors. For an instant his heart spiked before he recognised their colours and those of the camp he was only just noticing. As he pulled himself to his feet their employer arrived and a certain amount of questioning began. As usual Carathyle spoke beyond his remit and Syjahel took the true lead. Surprisingly though Seijl was quite vocal, and slightly rude, which amused Cananatra.

Standing there as the speech bounced back and forth he considered what he should reveal. Clearly pointing out he was a follower of slaanesh would be a bad idea, but it would be well to reveal the nature of their new enemy. His mind made up he spoke as Syjahel finished.

“This tree was a trap to hold us. To slow the pursuit, sacrificing one of their own to do so. Those who stole your daughter are however chaos followers as it was chaos that powered that realm. I managed to destroy the gem holding us in it.”

OOC: Sorry for the delay lads and lasses.
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Each of the mercenaries had something to say it seemed and Sultra sat silently as they all took their turn, though he did not do them the courtesy of dismounting. Throughout all of it though two pieces of information made the greatest impact, the revelation regarding the nature of their enemy and the fact that they had captured one of the Dalvian retainers. If the somewhat defiant tone of some of the elves offended Sultra he did not show it, then again his sort generally didn't until they were ready to take their revenge. It was only as Seijl made ready to leave that he spoke up again.

"Not yet Seijl, I see your time has not been wasted but if what you say is true then Naylia is most likely still alive. There are certain facts I have not shared with you for they are... sensitive, but given the circumstances I think you must be told. Please come with me to my tent," turning to one of his attendants he said

"Take this one to the torturer," indicating the paralysed Dalvian "he knows what questions to ask."

With that he turned his horse away and walked it back towards the tent lines, heading for the largest pavilion right at the centre. Still less than happy with his attitude the mercenaries could still do little but follow him. When they reached the command tent Sultra dismissed his mounted retainers and handed his reigns to one of the guards standing watch outside before passing through the open entrance. One by one the mercenaries filed through. Inside they saw as close an approximation of Sultra's office as one could find under canvass. The walls were cloth and the desk was less ornate but for the most part it was a recognisable scene to most of them. Only one chair were set up before the desk but as Sultra sat down opposite them he motioned for a slave standing in the corner to erect four more folding chairs so that all of the mercenaries could sit before dismissing him with a wave. Once the slave was gone and the opening flap had been closed they were finally alone with their lord.

"Some months ago when all of this began I told you Syjahel and those who journeyed with you then that I did not know why Naylia had been kidnapped by house Dalvar or why said house had decided to make war on mine. That was a lie. When I was a young elf, as young or younger than you are now," it was not clear which of them he was referring too but to one as old as he even Cananatra was a pup "I was in service to house Dalvar. My father was one of their noble retainers and a confident of the then lord Dalvar. I was raised alongside the other noble children of the household and it was supposed that one day I would become a retainer like my father. As young elves will however we nobles sported amongst one another and one of the daughters of another retainer fell pregnant by me. This was back in my early nineties. That caused some stir at the time but was hardly a terrible crime. Shortly after that event however my father, with the help of Lord Dalvar, managed to get me a commission in the Black Guard. I served for two hundred years as tradition mandates and rose high in the service of our king becoming lieutenant commander of the seventh tower, ranking below only the tower master and the lord captain himself.

"When my service came to an end our royal sovereign saw fit to grant me an audience, a truly humbling experience. My speciality while in the guard had been that of spymaster, rooting out the secret enemies of the Witch king of which there are many. He offered me a peerage, circlets enough to start a noble house of my own and the choice of a selection of towers recently confiscated from nobles who had fallen out of favour; in return I was to continue to keep a watchful eye on Malekith's enemies in my home city of Vikrah. Needles to say I accepted and selected the tower with which you are all familiar. In ancient times it had belonged to house Dalvar as well as the one some of you broke into, which is why they are connected with underground tunnels. With my noble status greatly bolstered and full of purpose I returned to Vikrah in triumph, my time with the Black Guard well spent.

"On my return one of the first things I did was to re-establish relations with house Dalvar and my own relatives as I had had no contact with them for two centuries. Much had changed, the old lord was dead as was my father and to my great surprise the latest Lord Dalvar, an elf I had played with as a child, had married Tachar, my infant daughter now grown into a young woman of great intelligence and beauty. They welcomed me, if somewhat coldly as one might expect but it soon became clear that Tachar resented my absence during her childhood, though it seemed to me that she had done well enough in any case and she had been raised in the nursery as I had before her. I wish dearly however that that was the only reason for the enmity between us."
Sultra leaned back in his chair, shoulders slumping a fraction

"You said before Cananatra that our enemies were allied with Chaos, that is true. You can imagine my own shock when I found, millennia ago now, that the house of Dalvar had fallen into the grasp of the chaos god Tzeentch. I was still young then and I had hope, a foolish hope, that Tachar might be saved. I did not go to the Black Guard or the temple to purge the house as I should have, I thought it better to try and deal with the situation myself. I did try, I have been trying for centuries just as they had tried to destroy me and my house. That lord Dalvar is dead, and two more besides, countless cousins, aunts and uncles of house Dalvar have fallen not to mention the ignoble servants. For my part I have lost two wives to them, and two sons not to mention my father who I suspect they murdered. I long ago gave up any hope that Tachar's soul might be salvaged but I have so far been unable to kill her as she has been unable to kill me.

"This incident with Naylia is unfortunately only one in a long line of schemes. This time though I believe she has overplayed her hand. We are a long way from civilisation here and as you may have noticed I have gathered nearly every elf I command for this expedition. I mean to crush her forces in open battle and end this conflict once and for all. Unfortunately she still holds Naylia prisoner and I suspect she will have considerable forces of her own here. Before I can move in with the main force I need you to go in and retrieve Naylia. As soon as my torturer retrieves the information from the retainer you will go. Meanwhile I have managed to procure something which may give you the advantage over the spells of the cultists."
Sultra produced a small box from the draw of his desk. Opening it he pushed it towards them. Inside were five dark stones which seemed to glimmer in the low light

"These are null stones, the Black Guard use them on operations against Vauvalka. They will dispel direct magical attacks and are also effective against most magical traps. Their power is not unlimited however, after a few spells have been absorbed they become full and are then useless, how long that takes depends on the power of the spell. Take them, they should prove useful. Unfortunately the nature of this conflict means I have been unable to call upon the convents or Black Guard for aid so these will have to suffice. If there is anything else you want in terms of supplies you can see the armourer, he may be able to help. Baring that have you any questions you wish to ask? I need hardly tell you that everything I have told you here is in the strictest of confidence but that being so if there is any question on your mind this is the time."

We are back in business. My exams, and indeed my degree, have come to an end and now I can get back to the far more important matter of Druchii role play. Just a nice little soliloquy from Sultra this time but I will have you back in the action soon enough.

You all gain 1x null stone, Carathyle looses 1 sword and whatever else he wants to ditch. -Drainial
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Cananatra

Post by Cananatra »

As their employer spoke Cananatra could not help musing to himself on the nature of this chaos inspired conflict. It was something of a revelation to hear of this private war between a seemingly loyal Druchii house and an obviously chaos tinted one. The irony was almost mirth worthy as he considered himself now a chaos follower. As their employer displayed the null stones and explained their use a slight fissure of concern infiltrated Cananatra’s mind. Casting his thoughts deep into his own mind he probed about.

You happen to be hanging around keeping an eye out through this amulet? How will a null stone effect me if I have to carry one?

OOC: My post will grow If or when Cananatra gets a reply from his. . . sponsor.

EDIT: The voice of Neirith echoed through Cananatra's mind in response to his mental query.

"Do not worry my sweet, such artefacts only respond to assault, if magic does not seek to harm you it will not react. I do not seek to harm you."

OOC: The null stones only work against magic cast at you which is damaging in some way or otherwise negative. It will not affect positive effects such as the amulet or Carathyle's obsidian sword. -Drainial

As the voice died away Cananatra felt himself struggling to hold back a smile. He had been right, along with the various mind games that went on he was able to communicate back to Neirith even out here. The concept was ever so slightly disconcerting for a moment.

Reaching forward from his chair he picked up one of the null stones and then looked at Sultra. “And if when we find Naylia she has been corrupted? Or encounter your daughter, this Tachar?”
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

Carathyle strolled at the far back of the group following Sultra, eyeing left and right as wary as any Druchii should be. His trust in Syjahel, Jacks, Seijl and Cananatra was well earned, as far as Druchii could be trusted. “There is tension in the air.” He whispered to himself, indirectly to his father, as he lay his hand on the spikey pommel, his finger surrounding the spike to prevent personal harm, purely for comfort.

As the tent came in sight and the group of mercenaries and their employer, who dismounted before it, walked into the tent, the space it covered surprised Carathyle though at the same time, it did not seem to be impressing him. Carathyle sat down on one of the given chairs and listened to the words of his employer. ‘Null Talismans? If this gives me an advantage over that witch, or even lets me get near her, it’ll be worth it.’ The thought of revenge eased into Carathyle’s thought.

Carathyle reached out and took one of the talismans from the small box, wrapping it around his belt for the time being, before listening to the question of Cananatra. “I assume that we can devastate house Dalvan no matter what? How about the followers of Chaos?” he added to the question, curious about the faith the sorceress was going to have. ‘All I need now is a shield, given that I can acquire one.’ Carathyle thought, wrapping his hand around the cross guard, placing his finger on the emblem in the very center of it.

He’ll ask his question and when this is answered, Carathyle will dismiss himself if Sultra has no further announcements. He’ll head over to the armorer and he’ll try to obtain a shield, preferable one that isn’t wooden.

Equipment:
Enchanted* Obsidian Long sword, MC Light armour, Dark Steed(Sephirah), Shield, MC Longbow(89 arrows), 56 Circlets, Maibed Dagger, Asur Spear and Disguise.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

When she'd had time to consider as he spoke, the warrior-woman found her perception of Lord Sultra changing. There was no doubt that he was a formidable foe, and someone with connections and political acumen. But when she considered the forces at his disposal, and the risk he'd taken with sending such a small party after his beloved daughter, suddenly his judgement - and with it his personal appeal - no longer seemed quite as impressive. Still, she made an effort to listen impassively as the tale unfolded.

Oh, so much long-sought information ... It was all Syjahel could do to keep a mask of calm as she heard the tale, as the consequences of youthful indiscretion unfolded and Sultra told them - the truth at last? Probably an edited version, but the scion of House Vasht knew better than to expect complete honesty from one of Sultra's vintage. So she listened, and took everything in, doing her best to maintain an air of reserving judgement, perhaps even showing a little sympathy for the old Lord for the long drama he'd played out.

Privately it was all quite a different story. First, the matter of youthful indiscretion, downplayed by Sultra as one would expect. Syjahel was no stranger to youthful dalliance, but she was also smart enough to make sure she didn't muddy her House's good name with a bastard child. Accidents happen, but she'd taken care that she would not be involved in any such amorous misadventures. However, all that aside it wasn't the child's mother who was important, but the fact of what her father had done next.

Sultra had joined the Black Guard, which at least made sense of his connections. However, though a successful early career explained his rise to power, it also added another complication: ex-Black Guard or no, the Tower Lord had admitted to knowingly having kept the identity of a Chaos Sorceror from the Witch King. Syjahel was young in the ways of politics, but she wasn't stupid. By trying to fix his problems in-house Sultra had kept this threat to himself instead of informing those who worked for the good of the state, and for a long time. Casually, she worked it out at over a thousand years, and as she did so another circlet dropped.

Yes, she and her small warband now had considerable potent material on Sultra. But it was useless, even dangerous: if they didn't at once inform the Witch King at the earliest opportunity, then they would be complicit in its denial. Maybe even going straight to the Black Guard should his army fail might not be enough to exonerate her from the burden of keeping such a secret. Rage, and a little fear, began to build inside Syjahel at being forced into such a situation by one man's incompetence. Whatever else he'd done, Sultra had put his own personal reputation above the safety of the realm and that was neither safe nor honourable.

A little personal disgust also welled up in the already warring heart of the warrior-woman. Sorcery learned from the Ruinous Powers was not tolerated in House Vasht. It was worse than any shadow-haunting vauvalka, worse than almost any hidden sin to give oneself over to Chaos, and she felt her instinctive revulsion creep over into her current situation. Syjahel made an effort not to show it, but it was hard. It took a concerted effort of reason. Sultra was guilty of poor judgement, but he could hardly be said to have allowed the darkblade to study corruption. He was trying, with all the forces at his command, to right the situation. Sympathy wasn't really in Syjahel's repertoire, but she remembered how when he had first told them of Naylia's kidnapping his mask had slipped, and he had clearly been a concerned father deathly worried about his little girl.

Better late than never, she thought acidly, as he finished up with "in the strictest confidence". In the strictest confidence? in the highest treason, more like. Taking one of the null stones with a resigned air Syjahel could think of little more to say. The situation was too grave, and the probable consequences of saying anything he didn't want to hear too serious.

"A retrieval mission, then. Give us what information you can about the layout of where we are to infiltrate, and I am sure we will all do our best." With this she shut her mouth, unable to trust herself not to say anything more.

Take null stone, shut the hell up, try to figure out a way not to be guilty of treason against Malekith.

[OOC notes in OOC thread and welcome back 28 with a storm! :D]
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Jacks was weary from his duel with the Dalvian, how his wounds healed was still a mystery, it wasn't exactly like what he experienced was just an illusion, and now, he was whisked away by his employer and given a lesson about family history. The truth slapped him in the face, and it was too much for Jacks to comprehend all at once. They had been dealing with the powers of Chaos all this time. It might've explained the strange transformations and the Lamia creature back at the town, but Jacks had always simply pointed to sorcery and experimental alterations, not Chaos influence.

Jacks understood why his employer tried to deal with the matter by himself instead of reporting it, it reflected what Jacks was doing all this time too, to an extent. Jacks didn't judge him, it wasn't in his position to, but he feels like he can work for Lord Sultra more comfortably now. He likes the fact his employer doesn't burden him and his companions with unnecessary information, not unless it's needed.

"Perhaps we're both not so different?"

The cold heartless nature that made them Druchii perhaps was finally catching up to Jacks as he saw more of this cruel world. Regardless, there was much more to do now than ponder on philosophy, they had a task to carry out, but first..

"No questions, but a request. I would like to speak with the Dalvian you have captured. He was a worthy adversary I've crossed swords with for a long time."

He was an opponent Jacks respected, learning his name was the least Jacks could do before the Dalvian died.

"Oh, and some new clothing." He referred to his ripped clothing from the wounds he should've received as he reached for a Null Stone and tightened to around his wrist for now.

No questions for Sultra, just a request to speak with the Dalvian. Obtain a Null Stone and some new, or less shredded clothes.

EDIT:OOC: Actualy you already found out his name. He told you it was Gilnaresh way back before you entered the Tree. Still Sultra doesn't know that. I will do another Mod post soon, just give Vaari a little longer. -Drainial

OOC: Oh ok, must've forgotten, we'll just have Jacks wanting to go chat with him then.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

The mercenaries reaction to Sultra's uncharacteristic display of openness was somewhat mixed. If the old lord noticed the subtle shift in the perceptions of his subordinates he gave to sign, in truth he would likely have cared little in any case so long as they continued to obey. There was still a job to be done and though there might well be recriminations regarding his past at a later date they could and would have to wait. First though there were a few questions as the mercenaries each plucked a null stone for themselves and tucked it away somewhere on their person.

Ever practical Cananatra was the first to speak
“And if when we find Naylia she has been corrupted? Or encounter your daughter, this Tachar?” he asked
"If Naylia has been influenced by her stay with her captors it is something which will have to be dealt with at a later time, bring her back to me, whether she sees it as rescue or kidnap. She is strong willed and well tutored, I do not think she will have turned to the dark gods but in either case she remains a child with a child's powers so willing or not you should have no problem bringing her with you.

"As for Tachar if you get a chance to kill her take it, she may be my daughter but that blood tie has already cost me and my family much harm. Be wary though, she is a true lady of the Druchii despite her arcane heresies, skilled with a blade, sharp of mind and blessed by her god with the gift of magic though she did not possess the knack at birth. She is much older than any of you, almost as old as me, do not underestimate her. Your first and only job is to bring out Naylia, I will deal with Tachar myself along with the main host. It is why I brought so many elves after all, the estate is almost stripped bare."

Carathyle was next and he too was of a practical mind
“I assume that we can devastate house Dalvain no matter what? How about the followers of Chaos?” for once Sultra's response was short
"No quarter, kill any in your way. The more servants of Tzeentch and Tachar you kill the better but do not forget your mission."

Syjahel was never one to stay silent though in this case her rage at Sultra's well intentioned but undoubtedly foolish (and her view treasonous) actions more than a millennia ago gave a subtle edge to her voice.
"A retrieval mission, then. Give us what information you can about the layout of where we are to infiltrate, and I am sure we will all do our best." she remained business like, not trusting herself to say more to an elf she knew from experience had no compunction about killing her if it served a purpose.

"The petrified forest is largely unmapped, little is known about it. We don't even know how it was formed. The whole forest, and it is large, is made up of living wood turned to stone. In a very real sense they are still alive albeit in an unusual form. There are no permanent residents though the convents send people from time to time to gather certain items, the whole area is awash with magic much of it unpredictable. That may be what caused the Tree of Hearts to come into existence though little is known of that either. Many strange and often dangerous things lurk in the petrified forest, I would tell you to be on your guard but I suspect that is unnecessary. Layout wise I have little to offer you, in form the layout is like any other. When my torturer breaks the prisoner we will know more."

Leaving the planning to others Jacks had other concerns
"No questions, but a request. I would like to speak with the Dalvian you have captured. He was a worthy adversary I've crossed swords with for a long time. Oh, and some new clothing."

"Speak to him if you wish but do not get in the torturers way and leave if he tells you to, retrieving the information is paramount to rescuing Naylia. As for cloths see the quartermaster and I am sure something suitable can be found." Sultra said.

Vaari seemed content to remain silent, he always was more comfortable on the hunt than in an office. That seemed to conclude proceedings and Jacks and Carathyle in particular had business to be about. Leaving the large pavilion they stepped out into the light, bright after the dimness of the tent, and went in search of the quartermaster. A passing soldier provided directions and though the camp was substantial it was not in the end all that large. It was not long before the pair found another large tent with crates piled high outside it and several carts standing idle. The quartermaster himself was a short old elf, his face was grizzled and his hair thinning though his frame was not frail. He sat behind a makeshift desk, scribbling lists on top of one of the empty crates.

"Found you then," was the elf's initial terse response when he noticed Carathyle and Jacks. Fixing his eyes back on his parchment he went back to his scribbling apparently unconcerned that he was making the two mercenaries wait. Only after he had finished whatever bureaucratic necessity he had been engaged in did he deign to look up again.
"What do you want?" he asked, clearly he hadn't been given the job for his people skills

Carathyle went first
"I need a new shield, a metal one by choice," the quartermaster looked him up and down

"Looks to me like you have enough gear to set up an armoury already, still let me see," so saying he rose from his desk and limped into the tent. With the box/desk out of the way they could see his left leg was missing and had been replaced by a wooden prosthetic of primitive if functional design. He returned moments later not with a shield but with another list, presumably an inventory.
"Not many fully metal shields, too expensive to make them light enough in large numbers, you need ithilmar or Gromril for that sort of work really. Still we have a few small steel ones, buckler's really but tough, or there are some steel covered ones which are bigger but they are pretty heavy. Over in those crates." he pointed and sank back into his seat apparently unwilling to do the fetching himself
"Boy! Get him the one he wants" this was directed at a small grey mound inside the tent which turned out to be a young human slave when it jumped up and sprang to obey.

"What about you then?" the old elf looked to Jacks
"I need new clothes," the shade said, plucking a strand of his ragged travel worn leathers. The suit served as a map to all his recent wounds and many sword and dagger marks could be seen.
"Small clothes over there," he said waving in the general direction of one of the carts. "There's nothing fancy but have a look. When you have what you want you need to sign for it, that goes for you too boy," he said the last to Carathyle who was busily looking through shields.

......................................................................................................

Back in the tent Sultra waited to see if any of the remaining mercenaries had any more questions before departing himself.

.....................................................................................................

With his selection made Jacks headed off towards the interrogation area, even Druchii camps lacked dungeons but a quick query of the quartermaster had given him directions. The prisoner was being questioned in the open air and even before Jacks saw him he smelt the distinctive Oder of burning elf flesh. It turned his stomach and made him hungry all at the same time which in turn made his stomach feel worse still, cannibalism was one of the few depravities not commonly accepted amongst the Druchii though of course there were many stories. Rounding a tent Jacks immediately saw that their own efforts at interrogation with the prisoners they had captured at the battle of the caravan had been amateurish. Gilnaresh was hanging from a wooden frame, his hands tied above his head and spread apart for form a cross while his feet dangled inches from the ground. Nearby a brazier burned, iron pokers heating up. Reheating most likely for the Dalvian's body already bore several burn marks. The Druchii prided themselves on having many thousands of ways to inflict pain and this was far from the most subtle but then they didn't have time for subtle.

The torturer himself looked surprisingly young, a slender figure in dark red robes and wearing thick leather gloves against the head of the poker handles. His expression was completely passive as he pressed a burning brand to the Dalvian's flesh eliciting a strangled groan from the bound elf. In a way the utter lack of expression on the young torturer's face was worse than the maniacal grins all too often associated with the dark kindred. There was no shortage of sadists in Naggaroth, those who approached the task of inflicting pain as a scientific exercise were far far more frightening. There were not many others around which was rather unusual, apparently this one didn't like others gawping while he worked, normally a torture session was considered good entertainment. Sultra was there though, presumably having finished up with the others while Jacks had been trying on clothes. The old lord stood some distance away letting the younger elf get on with his work and saying nothing, only watching with his deep expressive eyes. The only other being present was a large slave dressed in a heavy leather smock and tending to the brazier.

From the looks of things the Dalvian was not yet talking but as Jacks approached his head rose. Setting eyes on the shade Gilnaresh's face lit up in a smile. This rather unexpected response piqued Jacks' interest yet further and he moved closer.
"Your fires will never break me wretch," the Tzeentchen said to the torturer, his tone surprisingly level though understandably filled with malice
"You bested me shade," the Dalvian said, turning his attention back to Jacks
"Something few have ever done. I will never give in to crude torture, my master gives me the strength to withstand physical discomfort, but I told you that if you caught me I would tell you where to find the girl. So I shall. She is in the Darkling Glade. It is an area of relatively open woodland half a day’s march into the forest. If you enter between the fallen petrified Yew and the large Willow head straight forwards until you reach a stand of three hollies..." To Jacks' surprise, and doubtless that of the torturer and Sultra, the Dalvian proceeded to give a detailed and lengthy description of the route to this 'Darkling Glade'. It was true he had said he would tell them where Naylia was if the mercenaries caught him but the word of a Tzeentchen cultists, and a Druchii Tzeentchen cultist at that, was hardly to be trusted. Clearly he was playing some game here.

As the Dalvian spoke Sultra came over to stand nearby and as the retainer finished he turned to the red clad servant
"These heratics are all liars and manipulators, do your best to confirm his story. Jacks do you remember those directions?" Jacks nodded, was a shade, navigating in woodland would not be a problem
"Good, then gather your companions and finish any preparations you need to do. We have lost enough time already." At that Sultra left leaving Jacks with the prisoner as the torture started up again.

.................................................................................................

Prepared and provisioned once again the mercenary band made ready to depart yet again, continuing their seemingly endless search for Naylia. Though there was every chance that the Dalvian's directions were either wrong or designed to lead them into a trap they were the only directions they had to go on and so after Jacks had shared them with the rest, Seijl in particular, they made ready to follow them. Finding a fallen Yew next to a willow was easy enough as both were nearby at the forests edge and so from this starting point they set off. The petrified forest was an eerie place. In a sense the trees were almost identical to normal ones but even beyond the strange colours there was an innate and instinctual sense of oddness about them. Added to that was the lack of any undergrowth, whatever turned the trees to living stone in eons past had seemingly not affected the smaller plants or else had simply killed them off altogether. Instead they walked on a lifeless floor of fine powder, like grey sand. Perhaps the grass had turned to stone but been too fragile to last the ages, it was off little immediate concern. The forest was also very quiet, naturally the leaves did not rustle so readily in the light breeze nor did the branches creek. No insects buzzed about (not that they were plentiful in the land of chill anywhere) and no birds chirped. In near silence the mercenaries trudged onward led by the shades.

Over and hour passed like this as near as they could reckon and the sun was beginning to set when Seijl held up a hand bringing the group to a halt. Head tilted he looked to Jacks who nodded
"I hear it too," he murmured, keeping his voice low. To the rest of the group who had no idea what the wild shades were talking about Seijl then explained
"There is something here, close, in the trees. Keep an eye above you."
Despite this warning there was nothing for some time until suddenly the group stopped again, this time at no signal.
"What in the nine hells is that?" Cananatra asked no one in particular. 'That' was a tree, but not an ordinary one. For one thing it was huge, most of the trees were large but within expected limits. This one though was huge, half as wide as Sultra's tower and incredibly tall. It's stone branches dominated the forest canopy with sapphire leaves. There weirdest thing though (other than its being of living stone) was the trees structure. The trunk was ridged like the armour of a Blackguards man and was of a dusky red marble. The branches were all upturned and few ventured lower than the highest canopy, far far beyond the reach of the elves below.

"It's a Tum-Tum tree," Seijl said, his voice equal parts confusion and awe
"No, it can't be," Jacks countered, but by his voice he was far from certain of that
"So what's a Tum-Tum tree?" Syjahel chipped in, the tree was certainly odd and impressive but there was no reason she could see for it flummoxing the shades so.
"There a myth, a children’s story," Jacks said "the home of a terrible monster,"

And as in uffish thought they stood the Jabberwock with eyes of flame came whiffling through the tulgey wood, and burbled as it came! Racing down the side of the giant tree the creature leapt the last twenty yards to land on all fours before them. In size it stretched at least nine feet from nose to tails, three lashing tails added another three feet to it and that was only the beginning of its fearsome oddity. Long claws flexed and pawed the ground, each looking sharp enough to shave with. The Jabberwock was covered with what looked at first glance to be fur. A closer look however revealed that like the trees this creature out of story was partly made of living rock. The blue and orange stripped pelt was made up of many thousands of stony hairs. Gazing at the intruders with baleful eyes the Jabberwock opened its huge fanged maw and burbled once again, tensing to strike.

[u]A long one this time, I wanted to get things back into the action. If there was something you wanted to do in camp tell me what it was and I can do it retroactively (or not depending on what it is). Carathyle can add whatever kind of shield he wants (from those described) to his inventory though only one (shields don't grow and trees you know, well maybe they do somewhere in the petrified forest :D)

The Jabberwock is at the base of the Tum-Tum tree about fifteen feet away from you. If you are unfamiliar with it then Google Jabberwocky, it is a poem by Lewis Carol and will (sort of) explain otherwise nonsensical language used above.

-Drainial

Gentleman of Moderation
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Jacks looked on in wonder as Gilnaresh was tortured, such crude work by city elves, he was silently glad he was a wonderer in the woods, death by a silent knife or arrow was much more pleasent than this. He was surprised Gilnaresh spoke to him, and told Jacks what was promised if he defeated this Tzeentchian worshipper. As Sultra left, Jacks stood there a while longer, silently watching as the torturing resumed. It felt like he needed to be there to watch.

Finally, before turning his back to Gilnaresh and walking off to embark on their next task, Jacks spoke.

"You're a respectable druchii, I trust your words even though I have no reason to. I shall see you again in the afterlife Gilnaresh."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

They setted foot again, resuming their task for saving Naylia. It seems like they're near the end of their task, with the location given, it wouldn't be long now before the real war started.

However, as usual, their path was marred by more dangers, but not a myth. Seijl was just as struck by the sighting of the Tum-Tum Tree as Jacks was, he didn't want to believe it to be true, but they had been stalked by something large earlier on. Before Jacks could say anything further, the Jabberwock appeared, it seems like myths were long forgotten reality after all. Of all the dangers they were warned about prior to journeying through this chaos warped forest, this mythical creature was the least Jacks and Seijl expected.

"On guard guys, I didn't want to believe it, but this mythical creature seems to exist after all, the Jabberwock. Shall we make sure it is a myth?"

Drawing Repeater Crossbow and getting ready to leap diagonally back to give Jacks some shooting distance. Fire at its extended head, aiming for the eyes if possible to blind it.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Cananatra

Post by Cananatra »

As if the forest wasn’t strange enough the shades led them straight to a tree of unbelievable proportions and one which looked almost constructed to resemble a tree rather than grown. No way that thing could have supported its own weight as wood. he thought as he gazed up at it. Almost without thought words slipped from his mouth. “What in the nine hells is that?” It was revealed to be a Tumtum tree, whatever that was, and seemed to come directly from some myth. Though with what he had seen in the past myths where almost tame by comparison he was forced to admit.

Before he finished taking in the whole view a creature swarmed down the tree to land before them. It was a strange beast, and for a Druchii which has fought chaos (and recently worshiped it) to say that it must truly be strange. “Shade, I know not what bedtime story’s you heard as a child, but if that featured in them you have my sympathies.” Almost without conscious thought his sword found its way into his hand, though he paused before shrugging his shield off his back. Lets go unconventional then shall we? Dropping his left hand to his belt he pulled free his dagger and reversed it. This is going to hurt like a biatch. he pause And probably feel orgasmic if i’m honest.

Cananatra will intercept the Jabberwocky and aim to embed his blade and hang on, hopefully sidestepping to get its back or some such. With luck it will work and the beast will be slowed enough for the other two warriors to do serious slicing and dicing.
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

The answer Sultra gave was within expectations of Carathyle, considering that witch still needed to taste his blade for what she did to them at the caravans, but Sultra had no need of being informed with this minor annoyance. The answer even caused Carathyle to smile by the thought of the upcoming death of his foes, to him unknown how many... yet.

With the satisfaction of knowing that he didn't have to hold back on the enemy, Carathyle raised to a stance and walked out of the tent, pushing the canopy aside for him, and directly after him the shade. Together, unknowingly though, they walked toward the armoury. Upon arrival, the quartermaster seemed not interested in the young nobleman, nor the shade but who could blame him for that?

After a short instruction and what they required, Carathyle turned around to a slave, who was human of average human height, with brown hair and bluish eyes. "There are two types my lord, light and small, or heavy and large." the slave spoke, standing before multiple crates.

With his thoughts about which would benefit his current style more, Carathyle's personal favor went to the buckler, yet knowing that he doesn't have well enough control over his left hand when it comes to sword combat, his thoughts soon changed. "I prefer one that gives a decent cover. Hand me the heavier one, a bit of weight should benefit me more then it hinders me." Carathyle spoke, turning his eyes toward the quartermaster. As the slave took a, to Carathyle, normal shield out of the crates and handed it to him, Carathyle couldn't help but having the words of the quartermaster in his head. Taking the shield onto his left arm, strapping it so that it was easily discarded when needed but still firmly against the gauntlet. "All I carry is a necessity; a Dranach for an effective range, a spare sword in case of being disarmed the first time, a main sword to fight with, and then this shield. I've seen soldiers with more. And next time, show a noblemen some respect." Carathyle turned around and exited the armoury with the shield strapped to his arm, just to get used to the extra weight on his forearm. Joining with the group, they quickly head on with their mission to rescue Naylia after restocking.

With the shades in front, and with the clues Jacks had told them about indicating the path they were walking was the right one, so far as they could believe, Carathyle was wary of his surroundings. However, their path crossed a tree, apparently linked to a being of unknown horrors. This was soon to be confirmed, as from the bark of the tree it crawled down, and leaped in front of him, causing Carathyle to take two steps back. Drawing the sword around his belt, Carathyle observed the monstrosity for a second before concluding it has to be a monster of Chaos, probably coming from Tzeentch himself. Before he could step forward, Cananatra took up line, and Jacks stepped back in range. In Cananatra's hand suspended a dagger in reversed hold.

I can't believe I'm going to say this. Carathyle thought, before uttering, "Cananatra, are you nuts? If one of us should act brash, it's me you know!" Knowing how ironic it might sound, his concern for his fellow merc was based on a good assumption of the beast's fighting capability, as it had for massive, knife-like claws, and an neck extended forward. With a sigh, Carathyle couldn't see the reasoning of his 'ally' as stupid, and quickly spoke, "You take the right, his left is mine to deal with. Cananatra, head for the head, kill it the moment it gives you the chance to. Jacks, Seijl, we'll need his eyes out." His words weren't orders at all, they didn't even seem, and it was still Syjahel's final word that counted for Carathyle's mind, though he stepped to Cananatra's left side, keeping his sword arm at the ready and his shield arm more.

Carathyle will go with any plan, be it his own, the one of Syjahel, or any other, though he did give his two cents into things. If the creature attacks, Carathyle will go on the defensive, using his shield to take the claws then strike with the sword at the claws, trying to disarm it for a clear path to the body, one without the risk of getting dangerously close to the sharp, pointy things with his flank.

Equipment:
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Syjahel nodded curtly as the briefing ended. She didn't need anything with her wounds gone, and she doubted Sultra would give them any more answers anyway. He was still a powerful Druchii, but as she realised the depth of his situation she was beset by conflicting emotions. Never one to waste much time on self-analysis, the warrior-woman strode off to look for the cure to all dilemmas Khaine has provided for his faithful: violence. Most problems are soluble in blood. In this, the young Druchii took after her father Kherandis.

Luckily it wasn't long in coming. Out of the petrified forests and the fireside tales of the wood-dwellers a supposedly mythical creature leapt down to the attack. Carathyle and Cananatra were quick to move to the threat, and with his newly acquired shield the formerly brash scion of House Maveric seemed to have also gained some caution. This was all to the good in Syjahel's mind, and even though he was quick to start organising their deployment she couldn't fault his scheme or his speedy reactions.

"Sound plan. Since you're on the left I'll reinforce the right and try to work up under its belly," Syjahel said, moving to do so. "Stay clear of the tails."

Similar method to Cananatra, only try to flank to the right - taking any blows she can't dodge on her shield and aiming her cuts to what might be its vulnerable underside and underneath its long neck.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Vaari
Black Guard

Post by Vaari »

"A Tum-Tum tree.." the words fell from his lips with astonishment, while a little voice in the back of his head whispered of course... And of course, only one thing can follow a TumTum tree.

The tree was without disappointment. The Jaberwock was everything Seijl had heard, and more in it's terrifying realness. As much as Seijl favoured his blade and board, he felt it would be more prudent in this case to take a more, tactical course of action. Drawing out his repeater, the shade began to slowly back away, firing bolts into the body of the beast. For now, he had to know if such mundane weaponry would have any effect on such a creature.

Seijl withdraws a little while firing.

OOC: baby post as i learn to walk again :)
Group 28
Character Stats
Equipment
MC Light Armour, MC Buckler, MC Longsword,, Repeater Crossbow, Dagger w/ UC, Dagger w/ DV Shade Cloak. Field Kit (Healing x3), Vials of Unseen Chains (x3 uses) , Vials of Dark Venom (x4 uses) , Lamia Fang, Harpy Claws
Circlets : 260, , Emerald Eye (200Circ.) Rations: 10/10 Bolts: 16/20 , Null Stone
Skills
Basic Stealth - Heal
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Reacting immediately to the Jabberwock's presence Jacks and Seijl unslung their repeaters and began to fire though they remained ready to leap out of its way should the beast charge at them. A cascade of bolts flew through the air but the Jabberwock's enchanted hide was tough. Many of the bolts simply clattered away from stony fur while those few that did penetrate did not go very deep. No serious damage was being done, indeed the Jabberwock seemed only to become more enraged.

The others were far from inactive though. For once it was Cananatra who embarked upon a madcap plan. Drawing his long dagger in place of his usual sword the warrior ran directly for the terrible beast. In counter to the shade's fire the Jabberwock itself bounded forwards on long powerful legs. Hurling himself at it Cananatra smashed into its side with a crash of armour on stone. With the agility and timing that only an elf could muster Cananatra thrust his dagger into the stony pelt, it was he discovered not stone like all the way through. After a thin outer layer of stone the fur became more normal though still thick and difficult to penetrate. With his enchanted strength and using the narrow point of his dagger Cananatra found purchase and clung on with both hands trying to stay in place.

Needless to say the Jabberwock was not keen to have Cananatra remain riveted to its side. Roaring with its distinctive burbling tone the creature bucked and jolted from side to side trying to dislodge its impromptu rider. Now though the parties other two warriors were coming to take part in the action. With their swords drawn Carathyle and Syjahel dashed to flank the beast, Carathyle heading left while Syjahel took the right. With his obsidian sword now pulsing with the soul of his hated father Carathyle was keen to test its edge.
"The point Carathyle," Coriath's voice was little more than an echo in Carathyle's mind yet he heard it clearly. The Jabberwock was thrashing and bucking in its efforts to dislodge Cananatra, this meant it was not actively seeking Carathyle with its claws or massive jaws but the sheer bulk of the creature meant he had to be careful. Timing his strike so as to benefit from the creature's own momentum Carathyle stabbed his blade forwards, the impact was like striking chainmail rather than fur but Carathyle felt an almost imperceptible shudder of energy run through his weapon and after a fraction of a second the stone fur gave way allowing him to thrust his blade half a foot into its flesh. Withdrawing quickly so as not to lose the obsidian sword Carathyle just barely avoided a spray of gore.

This strike enraged the Jabberwock further still but Syjahel would not have it be said she could not do her part. Her blade was not enchanted but it was of masterwork quality and imbued with more usual minor spells. Aiming low the captain tried to find a weak point in the Jabberwock's strange armoured hide, unfortunately the creature appeared to be hairy pretty much everywhere. Slashing strongly at the underside of the neck Syjahel found her blade jarring painfully in her hand as her blade smashed a long line of furry armour plates to fragments but did little other damage.

In its fury the Jabberwock finally succeeded in sending Cananatra tumbling away leaving the dagger still embedded deeply into its flesh. The elf flew several feet before thumping into the ground amid a clatter of armour, bruised and winded but ultimately fine. With a scream of rage the creature turned on Carathyle, the one so far who had hurt it most badly, and swept at him with vicious claws. Stepping back the Druchii warrior brought his new shield down to cover his legs, the claws dragged gauges through the paintwork and across the surface of the shield but left the warrior himself in one piece. So far they had wounded the Jabberwock for no more than a light battering but the creature was far from out of the fight.

Sorry for the delay. -Drainial

Gentleman of Moderation
Cananatra

Post by Cananatra »

OOC: Drainial, I had my sword in one hand and dagger in the other (instead of my shield) not only my dagger. I’m not that insane. But we’ll assume Cananatra was.

IC: For yet another time Cananatra found himself flying through the air. It seemed almost a recurring theme to his combats with large creatures. As always the flight seemed to take longer than it should have, time seemingly slowed, before his back impacted the ground with a loud clatter. Right so, minus one dagger, plus several bruises. On the up side, I think I saw one of the others get a few good shots in. Struggling to his feet Cananatra gazed back towards the combat.

The other two warriors where engaging it with some success. Taking this brief breathing space he pulled free his shield and sword, feeling once again the pain/pleasure sensation buzzing along his nerves. Time for a more traditional approach. Pulling his shield across his body Cananatra advanced on the beast.

Cananatra will move forward properly this time and when he arrives will aim his attack at the Jabberwocky’s face in an attempt to blind it, either by damaging its eyes or the flesh above them (so blood flows down and blinds it)
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Their initial volley had little effect other than enraging the Jabberwock. The stories told of no specific method of slaying such a creature, perhaps it had never been slain before, and Jacks hopes that's not the case for them too.

It appears the creature was protected by a rock like layer of armour, though it shatters upon impact. The other three warriors seems to be hurting the Jabberwock, despite its armoured protection, which is a good start. The fact Jacks' arrows along with Seijl's were not doing any immediate damage vexed him. He wanted to engage it at closer range with his Handbow and Short Sword, but with three armoured warriors engaging it already, the area seems cramped already. Besides, without armour, if Jacks got hit by one of its swipes, he'll most likely not survive to see the day he'd get his revenge on Leifon for her crime.

"Heh, these must be my trials before I am given my sweet reward."

So, aiming his Repeater Crossbow again, he fired more quickly at the Jabberwock's head area.

Jacks aims to put out as many shots as he could accurately place, at the Jabberwock's head and/or neck area. He aims to shatter as much of the rocky armoured plating encasing the creature as he can to expose the fleshy underside for the others to strike at.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Vaari
Black Guard

Post by Vaari »

The shades mutual disappointment with the feeble effect of their volley lead to a swift change in tactics. As Jack's concentrated his aim, looking for a distracting head wound, Seijl began to circle around the beast. There was little room left to engage the beast in hand to hand, the best Seijl could hope for now was to find a vantage point behind the feathered foe, a point that may give the shade a weak point to exploit.

Patience did not come easily to the hill elf but sometimes all that one could do was wait. In any case it would not hurt to have eyes looking outside the current battle lest another one attempted to arrive unannounced.

Seijl goes around the back of the jabberwock, keeping an eye out for other foes
Group 28
Character Stats
Equipment
Skills
Basic Stealth - Heal
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

Quickly lunging forth, following Cananatra and Syjahel, Carathyle engaged the Jabberwock, wary of both claws and beak. His Obsidian sword in his right hand, the newly acquired shield in his right, and the medium armor covering his body, Carathyle's caution was well deserved, as his foe wasn't the average height, nor was it the average size at all. Gaining ground rather quickly along with Syjahel at the other side, he could see his companion-brother, Cananatra, climb on top of the Jabberwock, lodging a dagger into its fur, he held himself in place on the flank of the creature for the time being.

Quickly taking his place near the left side of the fearsome creature, Carathyle was being called upon by his hated father, telling him to use the point. A suggestion as vague as one can get, Carathyle doubted for a second about what it might mean, but seeing Syjahel taking up on the other side and started slashing at the stone, he soon figured out what it might have meant. The creature bulked because of Cananatra, yet it did not seem to have any intention of attacking the two other warriors just yet, giving Carathyle another advantage on the thing. Holding his sword horizontally, Carathyle could only estimate when the Jabberwock would move in his direction, and the moment it did, it would get stabbed. The motion kept going back and forth, and as Syjahel chopped at the strange armoured hide, Carathyle lunged forth with his sword, timed to the movement of the Jabberwock, piercing the hide nearly seemless. Pushing his sword through, Carathyle lodged it near half a foot into the flesh of the creature.

The obsidian sword was family property to Carathyle, and one he was not willing to lose in a fight voluntarily. Quickly withdrawing the sword, Carathyle stepped back, as a spray of blood emerged from the wound, covering a small patch of ground in its red color. However, the wound did not much but enraged the creature further, as it began bucking a whole lot fiercer, sending Cananatra flying through the air. Realizing that the one thing that occupied the Jabberwock was gone now, and since he was the only one that actually wounded it, Carathyle quickly stepped back and lowered his shield in front of his leg just in time, as a claw skittered off of it, damaging the paintwork but did little more then that. The good news was that he didn't suffer any damage at all, which was how he preferred it.

However, given the situation was becoming needlessly worse now that the creature did not have Cananatra as a burden, Carathyle looked at it with cautious eyes, checking every movement it did. Seeing the dagger still lodged in place, his mind started to work on something. "Well then, no need to drop the heritage of my family." Carathyle thought out loud, stepping away from the Jabberwock.

Once out of the creature's range, Carathyle dropped his shield and sighed. Let's hope he likes a sword in his back! With this last thought, Carathyle ran forth at the Jabberwock, setting his sight on the dagger's hilt as a temporarily step-up, hoping to jump onto the back of the creature, pushing the sword into it as deep as possible.

Ah, the carelessness of the Maveric family, you just got to love the risk he's willing to take. Anyway, Carathyle'll step away from combat, out of reach of the Jabberwock(when this is possible), drop the shield to the ground and charge the Jabberwock. If this is indeed possible, Carathyle will jump upon the dagger's hilt and use it as temporarily step up onto the creature's back(in case it's possible to jump upon it's back, by all means). He'll stab the creature in hopefully a vital spot, hopefully dealing some damage.

Equipment:
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

This was not an easy fight, nor was it unfortunately an ignorable distraction. Set upon efficiently from all sides, and in one case - albeit temporarily - from above, the strange creature was pressed but not defeated. Stony plates covered its sides as if it were itself partly petrified, which Syjahel supposed was possible. She drew back her sword and decided that keeping at the same spot, now less armoured, was her best bet.

As Canantra went sailing through the air to land in a manner that would have made her wince, had she time for such distractions, Carathyle it seemed had not abandoned all ideas about leaping into the fray. A slight smile came to the warrior-woman's ruby-red lips; getting onto the back of a monster foe such as this was a manoeuvre she'd tried more than once herself and it held a place in her heart. She braced and aimed for the part of the beast previously damaged by her sword stroke, trying to keep the creature distracted so that Carathyle could complete his daredevil stunt to good effect.

Keep at the damaged parts, keep it busy and beat it about the head and neck as my mother used to say. Aiming for the damaged plates.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Clamouring up to his feet Cananatra shook his head to clear it and drew his sword. His lunatic move had not gone wholly unrewarded though it had not been without some cost. Now though for something a little more sensible, though when it came to attacking giant stone furred monsters sensible was a relative term. Sensible would be running away as fast as their legs could carry them. They had overcome such odds before however and would again, probably. Charging in Cananatra made strait for the head, a brave choice. Slashing backhanded the elf felt a shock run up his arm as his sword, a simple and ordinary blade compared to Carathyle's enchanted obsidian or Syjahel's master work, shattered more rocklike pelt. Snarling the Jabberwock turned away from Carathyle to meet this new threat, the jaws that bite lunged forward and Cananatra only just managed to place his shield between him and oblivion. The huge jaws closed around the upper portion of the trusty shield and bit right though leaving only the lower two thirds remaining. Snarling the beast spat out the splinters.

Cananatra was spared further attack however by renewed crossbow fire. Though Jacks was more than a little disappointed by the impact of his repeater on the well protected beast he persevered this time shooting with greater precision. One bolts smacked into the Jabberwock's long snout breaking through the thinner fur and causing it to yelp, an odd sound coming from such a fearsome creature. Jacks continued to fire, making sure not to shoot Cananatra in the back. A carefully placed shot found what was perhaps the only unarmoured part of the Jabberwock, its eyes. The left eye popped with a disgusting squelch. For a brief moment Jacks thought that might have been the end of it but it seemed that even with a bolt though the eye the Jabberwock still had life in it.

Seeing that the field was getting crowded Seijl decided not to add his own fire to the fight but instead to circle around the back of the creature. As the Jabberwock was occupied with his companions the swift dash was an easy one. In this place Seijl was well aware that they might have more than the bed time beast to contend with, they would not be taken unawares while he was on look out.

As Cananatra was engaging and Jacks firing Carathyle succumbed once more to his penchant for the daring and fantastic. Dropping his new shield Carathyle tried to repeat Cananatra's attempt of mere moments ago and mount the Jabberwock. With elven grace the young mercenary lord leapt forwards with his sword in hand. Weighed down by his armour he never the less made the leap, grasping hold the Cananatra's dagger to haul himself fully astride the terrible beast. Reversing his grip Carathyle took his sword in both hands, he knew he did not have long to strike before the Jabberwock shook him off as it had his comrade. Plunging the obsidian blade down he felt his father's spirit surge imparting energy to the blade to break though the hard pelt and sink though the meat beneath. Beneath him the Jabberwock roared with pain even as Carathyle continued to thrust down until the sword was embedded almost to the hilt. Hurriedly withdrawing his blade Carathyle was suddenly sent tumbling backwards as the beast below jerked forwards. Though badly wounded it seemed determined to enact some vengeance on its tormentors. On powerful legs it bounded towards Jacks.

This sudden forward motion surprised Syjahel where she stood slashing into the neck and shoulders of the Jabberwock. Great flakes of armoured fur already littered the ground and blood streaks stained her blade with purplish gore. Said bloody shoulder crashed into the elven maiden's own knocking her backward though she managed to keep her feet. This meant she could watch as Jacks threw himself out of the way of the huge predator as he had been prepared to do all along. Jacks had plenty of experience with deadly creatures both in his youth and since he had entered this band of killers and damsel rescuers. Diving right Jacks avoided injury.

The mercenaries were quick to respond, Seijl taking advantage of the momentarily open target to unleash a volley into its hind quarters though as with the first shower of bolts this had little impact. Syjahel stood ready to pursue alongside Cananatra. Carathyle had picked himself up and was not far behind. The Jabberwock was breathing heavily, blood flecked its mouth. If the Jabberwock's anatomy was at all akin to that of other animals it seemed almost certain that Carathyle had punctured one of its lungs. Steadfastly the three warriors closed in, fanning out along its sides and wearing it down. The Jabberwock did not go quietly and both Carathyle and Syjahel were forced to dodge away with claw marks along with armour but between their blades and the bolts of the shades eventually the great beast was brought low.

The Jabberwock is dead. You have no major injuries just bruises and scratches. Jacks has used a X-bow clip. -Drainial

Gentleman of Moderation
Cananatra

Post by Cananatra »

Charging in Cananatra went straight for the beasts head and with a tremendous swing brought his sword into contact with it. A ferocious judder ran up his arm as the rock-like pelt shattered under the force of the blow. Smiling to himself at the effect this had Cananatra drew back for a second strike only to find the Jabberwock had turned its attention to him, as giant monsters are wont to do when struck in the face apparently. The head, looming large in his vision shot forward. Not that it had far to go, in a spirited attempt to remove his vital parts, all of them. Reacting desperately Cananatra pulled his shield across his body and somehow the beast managed to get a hold of it. An instant later the top third of the shield was reduced to kindling.

Cananatra stared at the top of the shield, now chewed to pieces by the jabberwocky and frowned in discontent. I liked that damn shield. It isn’t even like there is a store around here to replace it. Almost before the thought had even passed his mind he felt as much as saw bolts tearing through the air around him. One of the shades was no doubt trying to do in the beast, though it was discomforting to have them do it, essentially, through him. As one of the bolts found the jabberwocks eye Carathyle seemed to think a rodeo was in order and leaped upon the beasts back using the dagger still lodged in its flesh. Almost looks like we planned that.

After the fearsome blow Carathyle dealt it the Jabberwock was clearly on its last legs and the group finished it off. As it fell dead before them Cananatra once again looked at his ruined shield. “Almost took my arm off,” he said aloud as he began loosening the straps that held it to his arm. “I think next time I’ll try dodging the giant tooth filled maw rather than blocking it.” Outwardly calm he was nonetheless seething inside. You stupid crossbreed between shale and chaos spawn. I liked that shield and what did you have to go and do? Eat it! And not just eat it but spit out the bits too. Should have at least had the decency to choke.

Dropping the ruined shield to the ground Cananatra looked at the tree and then back to his companions. “So, what’s the betting there’s a way into that tree?”

Aww sorry, but I have to be fair, shields get smashed by big monsters in this group, ask your fellow warriors :twisted: -Drainial