TAU III A Cuckoo in the Nest

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Zzug
Trainee Warrior

Post by Zzug »

"Well I must admit that I am at a loss." said Zarra as the debating continued. "I have reason to suspect both Tarbo and Ostrar. My vote could go either way, as I am sure Ostrar is right, these two may be at each others throats until one is dead, which may only impede the council, especially if they are both innocent, but it will slow us down none the less, and the infiltraitors will enjoy watching us bicker over each other as we pick sides over these two."
Zarra played uncomfortably with her earrings as she thought for a moment.

"I hate to flip a coin over this, I really do, but I think we need to pick a side. Time runs short and if we are to accomplish anything, it needs to be done now...."

Ostrar (Highborn on BlackDragon)

"Sorry lad, but something needs to get done here."
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

“Right, as I see it, there are two options on the table on how to proceed,” Sleek says. “The first one is to allow ourselves to be dragged in this duel-to-the-death Ostrar insists on having. One that is obviously not helping the council seeing as neither councillor was voted based on suspicion but rather as a provocation or petty retaliation.”

“If this were a duel, I would know where to place my vote but this is not what this is about; it is about finding the infiltrators.”

“The second option is following on Tarbo's and Telrunya's approach and kick others into gear, hopefully with more … constructive results.
“Now, voting for yet another councillor who has refused to take up his share of the burden will spread out the votes, making it harder to come to a conclusion and lower the threat of the vote already on LordAnubis.

“Seeing how time is beginning to run out, I'm going to add some pressure on LordAnubis and hope two votes will succeed where one has failed.”

“I would also call on all councillors to take action. However little has been gleaned on this day, we have to do something before our time ends.”

Vote: LordAnubis
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Tarbo kept silent for a brief time, sizing up Ostrar and furrowing his brow. "You mistake dignity for honour," he mentioned mullingly. "You're defending your honour but, on all accounts, you're putting up quite a scene in the process. Your indignance because I had the gall to kick you into gear has been noted.

"I must, however, admit to some perturbation of my own. You see, I do not take kindly to your assumption that none of us two would let the other live. You may be overestimating my qualms with you, or you may be threatening me.

"You were not supposed to remain silent while your loyalty was questioned. It was not challenged. You were challenged."

"But if there are two things I must understand from this scene, these would be that no amount of explanation will change your perspective, and that your defense of 'Tarbo must be guilty because I'm not' is a bit poor form. But it is not an infiltrator's defense, and I may have mistaken the subtle difference between an infiltrator's panic and a loyalist's indignance. So I will hear Telrunya's council and seek our enemies elsewhere.

"Make no mistake, Ostrar. I find your reasoning challenged and your attitude downright despicable. We are at odds. But in this battle, every man counts."

Unvote: Highborn on Black Dragon
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"I don't really get where you're going Sleek. First you refuse to vote on Ostrar or Tarbo because neither have any condemning evidence against them, yet you choose to support a vote that has just as little reason for suspicion... Why vote for the silent ones, when they'll receive their just reward for silence at the end of the dat anyway?"
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"I refuse to support a useless vote."
Belials's voice ran sharp through the chamber.
"Why do we waste time with the silent ones? I am sure the mistress has something in wait for those that does not contribute anyway... No, I'd much rather look at those that advocate this course of action. Sleek, you choose to join this vote, even though it is useless... Why Excactly? I understand why one councillor would place a vote, to goad people into action, but there's no sense in starting to unite against one mute councillor now, when the days is waning, and they will be removed anyway. We are wasting our time, and you and Ostrar are the ones contributing to this waste. Do you have an explanation?"
Sleekdd
Highborn

Post by Sleekdd »

“I see wits are not lost on you, Belial. But allow me to explain my reasoning,” Sleek says. “Let's first try to get into the mindset of an infiltrator. How would one go about to make it out of this alive?”

“Well, the easy way would be to dodge attention as much as possible. That means you either restrict yourself to non-committal quotes or, better yet, remain silent for as long as possible. After all it is easier to spot something that is there but acting odd than it is to spot something missing,” Sleek explains. “The fact the silent ones haven't spoken yet does not mean they won't just before the curtain falls. And that's when it is too late to act.”

“If they are to be removed from the council, so much the better and you are proven right, but I fear at least some of them are just waiting until time runs out or someone adds some pressure. Recall that Ostrar only started participating in this to save his own hide,” Sleek rambles on. “I would rather deny them that tactic.”

“It is still early in this trial; the opening moves are now beginning and we know little on this first day. Best guesses and tactical thinking are all we have and given the situation, I chose to put my vote with someone silent who already has one,” Sleek rounds up. “You obviously don't share my views on this. I respect that and would invite you to voice your views on how we should proceed. But once the time comes, we'll need to move in a single direction or end up doing nothing and handing the initiative to the infiltrators.”
Great minds think alike.
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

"My patience is starting to wear thin, people," Telrunya said annoyed. "There is a mixture here between Slaaneshi, Tzeentchians, and couch potatoes. While the Tzeentchians want to see us dead, it are the couch potatoes that will eventually get us all killed. And it are the couch potatoes who are in the majority. If we want to survive, then we need to identify our real enemy: lethargy.

"We've seen many faces of that. Cathel's puppet master died, Ostrar (Highborn on Black Dragon) cannot be bothered to produce one coherent thought out of practicality, Adrain (sassmaw) has yet to come anywhere near a stance --let alone a spine--, and Kefka's initial enthusiasm has been declared clinically dead long before he had the time to take any action at all. And then I'm not even mentioning three individuals of which I even doubt they still have a pulse, or were born with one.

"It is an unfortunate state of affairs that now even Zarra (zzug) has to be considered a beacon of activity. However, I do have a question for you. Feel free to do as Cathel does disrespectfully and ignore it completely. You say you have reasons to suspect both Tarbo and Ostrar. Do you care to share those reasons to the still ignorant bunch of us?"

"While I thank Sleek for his support --one vote does indeed not pressure anyone with a sense of perspective-- I follow Belial's train of thought now: if they haven't spoken up by now, they will have to answer for this tomorrow anyway. Although I suspect at least some of the infiltrators to be there, I will turn my attention to a different breed of lethal lethargy.

"Adrain (sassmaw), if you're not trying to help the council, you are dead weight. No matter how insignificant it might be, everyone else took at least one stance. You --on the other hand-- categorically refused to do so. While the council should be fighting its own indifference, you seek to preserve it. While we need action, you seek dalliance. You are the embodiment of what will get us all killed.

"I don't know what you are waiting for, but I am waiting no longer. I hope the council can at least make one stance."

Vote: Adrain (sassmaw)
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"We need to get somewhere now paople. And fast. While I still see no obvious course of action here, I will support a vote, so we at least get the numbers we need. I am gonna go with Ostrar on this one, and I hope other's will agree."

Vote: Ostrar (Highborn on Black Dragon)
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

"Do not confuse me with a couch potato, Telrunya, I am indeed still active here. I just do not wish to take decisive action without a little more evidence. To be honest, I was hoping for more of a defense from Ostrar, something better then 'Tarbo and I are going to vote each other off anyways.' Well Tarbo has apologized and backed down, yet you have not spoken a word, and your vote stays..."
Kefka shifted back in his chair and stared at the Druchii for a moment. "You remain silent as the others. You have not helped our council, so You shall leave it."
Kefka then looked back to the others at the table. "And please, do not think I am just doing this because the day is almost over,or others have voted, orsomething like that... I made my intent to vote for Ostrar earlier."

Ostrar (Highborn on Black Dragon)

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Tarbo sneered derisively at Ostrar. "And from the very far corner, predictably, silence. I had hoped our little spar would've encouraged you to be a little more cooperative in the near future. But here we are, with you still stubbornly silent, content with your little 'victory' that brings us nowhere.

"Be that as it may, I am at a dilemma. On one hand, I retracted my vote so as not to waste the council's time any longer. On the other, you seem to be the closest thing the council has to action before we retire. Add to that the possibility that I just might be mistaken, that you could be a traitor after all, and I am very tempted to come back on my decision.

"I'm not entirely sure how our votes will be counted," he admitted. "If the removed councillors are not taken into account, we must imagine ourselves nine, and five votes will suffice. If not, then seven out of nine need to agree.

"I will watch the situation closely. If another councillor supports the vote against Ostrar, then I will roll with the council and add my own, hopefully coming to a majority. If not, well... then I suppose I will suffer his company a while longer."
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

"A noble cause, Belial en Kefka," Telrunya says while smoking his pipe, "and one I would gladly join, if only because I believe the total amount of dignity in the world would increase. On the other hand, I do believe the number of Slaaneshi would decrease. Ostrar's defense makes me doubt his worth as a councilor far more than it makes me doubt his allegiance. Does anyone really believe he is guilty?

"And if you don't, Belial, the question begs itself why you would try to swing a tie vote towards Ostrar's demise. Why not join another one, one which might help the council more because there lies more doubt.

"I would even go as far as to ask you to join my vote. I'm curious to see how far Adrain (sassmaw) has to be on his way to the gallows to form an opinion, and which one it would be. My guesses are: all the way, and pepperoni's are delicious."

With this, Telrunya laughed and coughed at the same time producing his typical 'jabba jabba jabba '-sound.

"Anyway," Telrunya coughs, "I applaud you taking a more active role in this discussion, Kefka, I only wish more would follow your example. Time is indeed running out and the need for action is not up for debate. But --although I have heard very few statements-- I believe more people have insinuated they would not want to vote for Ostrar than people who would. I'm going to keep my vote lingering here at least a little longer to provide a focused alternative."
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

Telrunya lights another well-stuffed pipe. He inhales deeply and blows out all the smoke with a deep sigh. "Really," he says, "I suggest compulsary coffee tomorrow.

"There are four votes going. Ostrar (Highborn on Black Dragon) has three against, while Adrain (Sassmaw), Tarbo, and that shadowy figure over there (LordAnubis) all have only one against.

"Something has to happen, and it is up to those with a pulse to do it. Belial has decided to tip the scales toward Ostrar and Kefka followed suit. Sleek, Tarbo, I fear this is the closest the council will get to an agreement: they will not drop the issue, however petty."

Clearly displeased with the situation, he adds: "The irony of the situation --that I have to ask Tarbo to join the voting against Ostrar in order to get something done-- is palpable."

Telrunya turned toward Ostrar. "Sorry, Ostrar. I tried my best, but you didn't make it any easier. Something has to happen and --even if you turn out to be innocent-- you're definitely not the person who is going to make it happen.

"This isn't over yet."

Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Tarbo chuckled once, an amused smile crooked unevenly on his lips. "Yes, master Telrunya, I share your, ah, sentiments. But I'm a man of my word. We've been bogged down long enough, and I was partly responsible, so I'll help unblock it.

"Funny how the world goes around."

Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

"Telrunya .... you attack me by the placeeeing your vote but your reasssonning is peculiar. You say that because I.... impeeeded the council." Adrain's voice slithered out of his mouth.
" I refused to give a... ssstace because there was no need too. I did not belive that Ossstrar isss a Tezeentchian nor do I now. I will not put my vote on him. If i were a Tezeentichian would i not automaticly wisssh to kill assmany asss i could? I wisssh to keep asss many ssslanessshi alive asss posssible. I belive we ssshould all be ssstriveing for thisss goal. Our enemysss are trying to be rid of thossse who are loyal. Thusss i belive that thossse who are bloodthirsssty are prime sssussspectsss. For now i will keep thossse who i belive to be enemysss to myssself for they will do no good now but i will not vote for a perssson who i think isss innocent"
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Mila sat at the head of the table, half listening, half picturing her lovely warm bed and how nice it would be to be in it.
"Mistress,"
"I'm awake!" she said, and then cursed herself so reacting so quickly, no one who was actually awake would assert it with quite such vim.
"Yes mistress," was that just a hint of irony, hidden beneath the studied tone of perfect abasement? Maybe she should have the elf whipped.
No, she thought business before pleasure, we can play later,

The silence hung for a moment before Katala realised that Mila wasn’t speaking herself
"Look at the time, mistress," she prompted, definitely a hint of condescension there, definitely a beating
Later Mila, later,

Looking at the clock on the wall the priestess realised what she meant, they had been arguing away for hours, well, some of them had.
"Eager as I am to get this wrapped up I think we had better call it a night... morning... whatever.

"Before you go though there seem to be one or two matters to attend to, no majority has been reached, and I think we all know why." Mila ran her eyes across the council, boring into those few who had chosen so ostentatiously not to participate.

"Draknir," she said, the elf did not stir, slumped as he was in his chair with his face mashed against the table top
"Draknir," a little louder
"Draknir," louder still
"Draknir!" she shouted, finally prompting some response
"Five more minutes," he murmured, clenching his eyelids shut more tightly. Mila shook her head and gestured to her 'slave'. Gliding round the table Katala stopped behind the near comatose elf. Taking his head in her hands she lifted it a few inches off the table, then dropped it. Draknir's head slammed down onto the table with a resounding thud. Snorting he sat up
"Wazzhapening?" he exclaimed in utter confusion. Speaking clearly and loudly Mila said
"There has been a murder, we are looking for Tzeentchens, and you’re supposed to be helping." He looked at her blankly
"So?"
"So now we are going to kill you." she said, no point sugar coating it.

"Oh," he said sleepily, "is that all," with that he settled back down on the table top. Prompted by the unusual lack of regard for the threat of execution Katala decided that a quick search was in order. A swift frisk tuned up a ball of twine, a pocket knife, a handful of gold coins and a tin marked 'mints'.

Opening the tin the slave took out a large orange pill and held it between her fore finger and thumb.
"Funny looking mints," Tarbo said, peering down the table.
"Those aren’t mints," Kefa chipped in "That's carmenarcolin," when he received nothing but blank stares from around the table he added
"Sleepsong," nothing
"It's a drug, makes you sleepy, makes you happy, do you need me to draw you a diagram?"

"Oh a sleeping pill, why didn't you say so in the first place?" Sleek said
"So if he's drugged up to the eye balls do we let him off?" Zara asked, directing the question to the room in general, it was Mila however who answered
"No, if he wanted to live he shouldn't have gotten wasted before showing up. Katala, do the honours."

With little ceremony the petite little elf produced a meat cleaver from... looking up and down her tightly clad form the councillors were at something of a loss as to how to answer that sentence. Regardless of origin the cleaver rose and fell leaving Draknir's head to fall into two equal halves on the table where blood now spiralled in artistic patterns.

"Now hang on a minute," for the first time a new voice chipped in "you can't just go around hacking respectable folk up when they haven't done..."
"Anything, not a single thing," Mila interrupted "Which brings us rather neatly round to you Anubis," His face had been pale before, now he could have lain in pristine snow and simply disappeared.
"Me? But I haven’t, I mean I wouldn’t..."
"You haven’t done anything, yes we know. I thought we went through that part already," Telrunya chipped in between puffs

"Now, hold on." Katala had already begun to make her way round the table towards him "Just, just lets calm down a moment," was that a gleam of satisfaction in her oh so passive eyes "haven’t we had some good times together?"

"Truly sorry to lose you old boy, but needs must when the devil starts zapping your compatriots," Mila said, it wasn't quite a lie, he had been an alright sort of guy on the whole.

"Bugger this," Lord Anubis suddenly decided on a change of tack, abandoning his attempts at reasoning (such as they were) he jumped up from his chair and made to dive across the table. Springing up he was running along the top of it. As he neared a gap however his exquisite bejewelled boots slipped on something, something that had formally been some one. Brain matter, it turns out, is quite slippery when you are not expecting it, with a yelp Lord Anubis slipped off the edge of the table and fell backwards. With an echoing clunk his head hit the corner, hard.

Belial, who happened to have been sitting next to Draknir, reached down to check his pulse
"Dead," he said in an offhand tone "Just as well I suppose,"

With Lord Anubis' demise all eyes turned to the last of the great mime artists gracing their table.
"What are you all looking at me for?" he asked, seeming genuinely confused
"You didn't contribute either," Mila reminded him
"Well, no. I didn't have anything useful to add, you all seemed to know what you were doing so I just thought I would sort of... let... you. Please, I am harmless" he trailed off rather weekly, withering under the stares of the council.

"Mostly harmless," the priestess corrected him "you might not be an infiltrator, but you are still hindering the council. Kill him."

Determined that there should be no more mishaps Katala had already moved up behind him, coldly, brutally (with perhaps just a touch of macabre glee stirred into the mix) the gore splattered cultist ended his life.

"Right then, that’s that for tonight... morning, whatever it is. Get some sleep, I want everyone back here at midday." With that Mila rang for more slaves to clear away the mess.

It is now night (sort of, for our purposes this is night). Day will resume at the latest at 18:00 on the fifth of Feb., perhaps earlier depending on when the abilities are reported by and how much time I have spare (for the sake of form all those with special abilities should contact me via PM during the night, but I am guessing you all already knew that.)

p.s. sorry about the unimaginative deaths, a touch of writers block, should clear up soon enough, apologies also for the late end. At the end of this day the council stands thus:

Tarbo : Voted- Highborn on black dragon (Ostrar)
Telrunya: Voted- Highborn on black dragon (Ostrar)
Kefa: Voted- Highborn on black dragon (Ostrar)
Belial: Voted- Highborn on black dragon (Ostrar)
SleekDD: Voted- Lord Anubis
Zzug: Voted-Highborn on black dragon (Ostrar)
Sassmaw: Did not vote
Highborn on black dragon: Voted-Tarbo
Cathal: Did not vote
Draknir: Hacked to death (inactivity) day one- innocent (at least of this crime)
Mostly Harmless: Hacked to death (inactivity) day one –innocent (not a Tzeentchen at any rate,)
Lord Anubis: Hacked to death (inactivity) day one –innocent (as innocent as a Slaaneshi cultist can be)
[/i]
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"Well, that at least was entertaining. Somewhat." Belial pushed back his chair, lighting up one of the peculiar oblong paper-pipes, stuffed with dried leaves, he'd picked up from a raid in Tilea.
"Ahhh... Well, I suppose we'll be getting on tomorrow. Not sure if we've made any progress or not... Goodnight."
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

"Well, I hope things pick up later. I'll already have to find replacements for those three, and we made no progress today. How bother some..."

Kefka got up without saying much else. "waste of time" and "Finally over" could be heard murmured out of his mouth, but not much else. He left silently to his room.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Muttering audibly to himself Kefka began the short journey back to his room, he did not intend on walking it, he had spent too much energy today already. The sooner he could relax a little the better. Luckily he had had the same though on the way over and waiting in an anteroom was his litter with attendant slaves.

The half naked chained creatures abandoned with some reluctance the game of knuckle bones they had been playing for several hours and got to their feet, discreetly massaging aching limbs from being forced to sit on a hard stone floor for so long.

None the less with the knowledge that failure to do their duty to the full satisfaction of their master would likely lead to them being given to one of the more... energetic... cultists, for a long, drawn out and not particularly pleasant death the slaves were soon on their feet with the litter on their shoulders.

One, a young female, crouched on the floor, stepping on her back Kefa clambered into the litter and collapsed with a sigh into the luxurious silks and pillows within.

As the slaves set of at a smooth, steady jog Kefka closed his eyes.
time for a little shut eye I think, long overdue.
The journey to his room would not take long.

It was the smell that woke him, a rank, rotting stench which seemed to have wormed its way into the back of his throat and plastered its self all over his tongue. The ride was different too, his slaves normally moved with a steady gait, perfectly balanced and in time to give their master a flawless ride. Now though the litter bucked and swayed beneath him like a clipper in a gale.
What in the dark prince's name... the thought went unfinished as he pulled apart the curtains.

Sticking his head out of the litter he looked down, gnarled green fingers grasped the carrying poles, Kefa's gaze moved up, along arms like mooring cables to a tiny head covered in scales and tufts of fur.

Quickly Kefka pulled his head back inside
Ok, he thought I must be dreaming, there is no way, no way there are actually trolls underneath me! Unfortunately a pinch on the arm didn't make the rocking stop, so once more he thrust his head out, and in again.
All right, fine, those are definitely trolls.

It wasn't the best of situations and Kefa's mind struggled to come up with a plan to escape his rather unusual predicament. In the hope of some further information he pulled open the curtains on the other side of the litter. Even after accepting his current position was not some hallucination Kefa blinked a couple of times before he believed what he was seeing. Perched upon the head of the middle most troll was a white cat, with a black streak running up its back. Raising its head the cat turned to the cultist
"Ah," it said "finally, I was beginning to think you would sleep forever." Kefka said nothing, his mouth agape.
"Oh come now it’s not that surprising really is it. I mean it’s not like you have been whisked of it Ind. Were still in the same building, same floor, same everything. All things considered things are about 90% normal.

Kefka finally found his tongue
"Normal! My slaves have tuned into mindless slavering brutes!" The cat meanwhile was padding at the top of the troll's head with its paw, as if in some vain attempt to make it more comfortable.
"Yes," it said "I suppose there is that, the devil is in the detail as they say. At any rate, I think this is far enough."

As it spoke the litter came to an abrupt halt. The corridor, now that Kefka got a decent look at it, was in the west wing of the palace, about as far away from anything as it was possible to be. Kefka had never been an elf to get exited easily, but now he was nearing blind panic, casting around for a way out, any way out.

As the litter was dumped roughly on the ground the cultist dug around in his pockets for something that could help, there wasn't much. Suddenly with a crash the wooden frame holding up the litter's 'walls' was torn away and Kefa found himself sitting in the middle of a pile of turquoise pillows, surrounded by eight towering monsters.

Finally his hand closed upon something that might be useful, with a speed he had not known in years Kefka pulled a small brown bottle out of his robes and threw it straight into the leering maw of the nearest troll. Reflexively it swallowed.

The effect was immediate, the soporific so strong that even a troll, a creature of almost proverbial prowess when it came to digesting disagreeable items without harm, began to sway. Within seconds its eyes began to droop, its knees buckled. Kefka looked up triumphantly, digging around for more narcotics... if he could just get the rest of...

The thought went unfinished as with a thunderous crash the troll fell forwards, straight on top of Kefka.

"Well," the cat said, still perched upon one of its creations "that was unexpected," with that it blinked out of sight.

Mila was just settling down into her long awaited rest when a guard burst into her bed chamber
"Trolls!" he screamed at the top of his lungs. Sitting bolt upright, un mindful of her nudity, Mila picked up a paperweight sitting on her bed side table and threw it at him
"I am trying to sleep!" she shouted as the unfortunate guard reeled back, the glass weight shattering on his helmet

A little calmer now, but very aware that the priestess could well be on the verge of calling his compatriots to have him crucified, the guard gasped
"A thousand apologies mistress, but there are trolls in the corridors!"

Fully awake now Mila got out of bed and grabbed a robe from her wardrobe
"Well don't just stand there call out the guard!" she yelled as she rooted through her collection of decedent silks for something more suitable.

When she had eventually found something (a robe of deep purple cut high at the knee, not battle dress perhaps but allowing for freedom of movement) Mila opened the bottom draw and pulled out the most valuable item she owned. It was a necklace made from the gilded finger bones of the great saint Karadachi the adulterous, who had tempted the entire populations of seven towns to cheat on their spouses. The bones were reputed still to have great power.
Well, time to put it to the test.

Rushing out of her suite Mila found the whole building in chaos, which was all well and good in its proper place, she was after all an agent of chaos. However when it came to defence a little order was definitely called for. Dozens of guards were rushing around, blades drawn but none of them appeared to know what was going on or where to go. She would have compared them to a flock of chickens, but chickens could never make so much racket.

"Quiet!" she roared, as much as any female can ever roar without a sex change. It didn't achieve much, mostly because there were at least four other elves of rank scattered about each bawling the same thing.
Right, let’s get their attention shall we? Drawing her dagger Mila walked up to the largest of the panicking warriors.
"Oh gods where going to die! They will grind our bones to make their bread!"

Rolling her eyes Mila walked straight up to him and said
"That’s giants," then stabbed him in the throat. The whole room turned to look as he fell to his knees gurgling. Attempting to wipe the blood from the front of her robe (succeeding only in spreading it further) Mila addressed the mob that should have been her army.
"You can be eaten by trolls or you can spend a night in the dungeons." a shudder went round the room, the guards were all Slaaneshi, but none were as hardcore as the cultists. There was no one there assembled who didn't fear the dungeon far more than any monster.

Taking their silence for assent Mila moved quickly
"Good, I want you in eight groups, Sleek and Beliel you take a group each, take them through the west passage, Zara and Ostrar I want you to take your groups through the north western, Cathal and Tarbo the south western and Ssasmaw and Telrunya take the secret passages running from under the statue in the red room. Go!"

There was a flurry of activity as the surviving senior cultists gathered up groups of leaderless guardsmen and went careering off on Mila's ordered. The Priestess herself simply stood there, waiting. As the tail ends of the units vanished round various corners Katala finally made her appearance
"Where have you been?" Mila demanded of her adjutant.
"Sorry mistress, I was finding the trolls," of course she was, no matter how much she tried to get into the role there was just no way someone like Katala would ever think like a slave. Still this was not the time for that discussion
"Where are they then?" she demanded
"The doll’s house," of course they were.
"Right, let’s go."

The two of them ran through the corridors, cutting through secret passages known only to a very few inside the cult. They made good time and it was not long before they stood panting at the end of a long corridor. The corridor its self was something of a departure for the cult, many styles were favoured by the Slaaneshi, most elaborate, expressive, and indulgent and focused upon their favoured pleasures. This particular hallway was a manifestation of a very unusual fetish, covering the walls were scenes from fairy tales, teddy bears and a bright shining sun in a beautiful blue sky. Two of the trolls were meandering down the hallway, another could be see poking out of a shattered doorway half way down. As they waited troops began to arrive; Telrunya got there first, closely followed by Ssasmaw, the trickle soon became a floor until both ends were blocked off with troops. Unfortunately no one seemed to have the nerve to do anything more than block the trolls in.

Right then, let’s see if my illustrious predecessor was lying through her teeth when she gave me this , Mila grasped the necklace in one hand and shut her eyes, focusing all of her thought and energy towards the trolls. Something stirred, deep within the necklace power first began to sparkle, then to surge. Mila opened her eyes as the silence was split by a deafening roar, followed by a crunch. One of the trolls had thrown its self at another, shattering the mural and the two were now in the process of tearing each other to pieces. This was enough to bring out their comrades, five great hulking trolls trooped out of the dolls room, to a creature they decided to take sides.

The hallway soon resembled nothing so much as a blood bowl match with gobbets of torn flesh flying everywhere.
"Well don't just stand there, kill them!" Mila exhorted her troops, slowly at first but with increasing enthusiasm the armoured cultists swarmed over the scrum, blades rising and falling with rhythmic frenzy. Of course the trolls didn't take kindly to this and more than one elf found themselves missing an arm, a leg or a torso, but on the whole the battle was only ever going to end one way.

As the last of the trolls finally succumbed to wounds even their legendary regenerative abilities could not repair the cultists congregated around their priestess.
"Where is Kefka, still asleep I suppose!" Zara sniffed somewhat indignantly, she had evidently taken a fist in the face at some point in the fight, her eye was blackening over nicely.

"Actually mistress, I found Kefka." Katala piped up from where she was pulling bodies into a pile along with the more traditional slaves. Without stopping her work she said
"He was under one of the trolls, the thing was snoring away merrily so I left it."
"Oh," Zara said. "So he's dead then?"
"You try having a troll land on you, see how you feel," Katala said, her tone carrying not a hint of sarcasm "mistress."

Shaking her head Mila addressed her lieutenants
"Right, go back to bed, we will reconvene in a few hours.

A few hours seems like a long time when you settle down, but it somehow fails to refresh you quite like you would hope for. All too soon the slaves come hammering at your door, whisking you off for another dose of bickering, suspicion and, hopefully, a result.

It is now day, day will last (unless a majority is reached) until 12 midnight 10th Feb. At the start of this day the council stands thus:

Tarbo :
Telrunya:
Belial:
SleekDD:
Zzug:
Sassmaw:
Highborn on black dragon:
Cathal:
Draknir: Hacked to death (inactivity) day one- innocent (at least of this crime)
Mostly Harmless: Hacked to death (inactivity) day one –innocent (not a Tzeentchen at any rate,)
Lord Anubis: Hacked to death (inactivity) day one –innocent (as innocent as a Slaaneshi cultist can be)
Kefka: Crushed by a troll night one.

With eight players five is a majority.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Sleekdd
Highborn

Post by Sleekdd »

Sleek sits down in his chair, seeing the others file in as well.

“Well then, let's get started, shall we?” Sleek suggests. “I propose we compare notes and decide how to act.”

“Seeing as I suggested it, I will begin.”

“I suppose I don't need to remind you that Tarbo's vote on Ostrar (Highborn on a Black Dragon) started an avalanche of events. Now, as people took a stance in favour or against Ostrar, I noticed something interesting at the very end of the day.”

“You see, my interest was drawn to Adrian (sassmaw) when he said he refused to vote on Ostrar because he was convinced of his innocence. In fact, he is so convinced of it that he refused to vote even when the only alternative was doing nothing and we all know that inactivity is the best way to lose this fight.”

“And that makes me wonder; how come he is so sure of Ostrar's innocence? What did Ostrar do to gain this level of trust?”

“Another person of interest is Belial, though in a more favourable way. He pushed for action when time was running out, preferring pretty much anything over inaction and he spoke out against those who were wasting time – myself included. If he were the one we're looking for, it would have been easier to just jump on the bandwagon and hide in between the other voters and no one would have blamed him for it.”

“Along those lines, I can say the same for Telrunya. He as well pushed for action, addressing a few councillors by name to kick them into gear.”

“Lastly, Kefka's passing should not be overlooked. The most obvious reason of his demise would be that he was a threat to Ostrar and had to be removed. Seeing how direct Ostrar is, this is something worth considering. However, if Ostrar is indeed pulling the strings at night, would he have picked Kefka instead of, say, Tarbo, who started the whole thing? Or Belial, who tried to rally everyone against him?”

“Or perhaps the infiltrators want us to think so, assuming we would blame Ostrar for what happened and vote him off while they would stay in the background or perhaps even oppose that course of action.”
Sleek glances at Adrian before going on.

“Of the others I have not yet been able to form an opinion clear enough to mention here, but others might find things I missed and I would invite you to point them out so as to complete our picture. The more that is being said, the more we have to work with.”
Great minds think alike.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Tarbo shook his sowing hand wistfully, his wrist still painful from the battle. His sword, however, was in a more pitiable state, having snapped clean off the back of one of the brutes. He recalled staring puzzled at the broken blade, then at the owner of the back that broke it. Trolls were gruesomely tough creatures, capable of swinging their fists indiscriminately, plouging through ranks and ranks of soldiers and, so he found out firsthand, taking out the tailor in the backswing.

"So, here we are again," he said, his forehead still ringing, not from substance abuse but from blocking a fist on it (a poor move, in hindsight). "And perhaps, now that the issue has been proven pressing, our colleagues will be so moved to participate fully in the discussion."

Tarbo straightened his back, one arm held behind it, and pulled his chin with the other. "I've been taken somewhat off guard by Kefka's demise. But let's take this from the start.

"We have to make some reasonable assumptions if we are to get anywhere. I, for the moment, am going to assume Ostrar is loyal. Now, last time we've met, five votes landed on him: my own, Zarra, Belial, Telrunya, and Kefka. Admittedly, with the spoken intent to simply get something done, but five nonetheless.

"It stands to reason that, if Ostrar is indeed loyal, infiltrators would leap at the opportunity to vote him once some momentum was gained. This means that each infiltrator either voted Ostrar last time, or failed to say or do anything after the ball got rolling -- now you see, I hope, why Kefka's death has thrown me off a bit.

"Now, excluding myself for the moment, this leaves us with Zarra, Belial, and Telrunya. I don't readily see the mark of an infiltrator there and, frankly, if we are to guess --and guessing will be needed-- I'd rather we strike where a miss will be less... painful to future efforts.

"So I look to those that haven't voted Ostrar and gave no sign of life after others started to vote. And with that, my gaze must settle on Cathel.

"Cathel, here, has a peculiar reasoning. His words were few, and the sense they made even less: he stated a belief that 'someone' had to be punished to get anywhere and, at the very same time, scolds Sleek for not agreeing with Ostrar's --let's be charitable in our words-- reasoning, seemingly content in leaving us at the status quo.

"Now, I don't need to tell you that a status quo is, without doubt and without equal, the very worst situation we could ever find ourselves in. Status quo means that nothing happens when we convene, and that then somebody dies. Again, and again, and again, until only our enemies remain. It doesn't take higher brain functions to realise this, so that puts his goals at odds with ours."

Tarbo took a deep breath and straightened his admittedly sore back again. "Now, if we ditch the assumption that Ostrar is innocent and assume him guilty, Cathel sticks out just as much. After all, why defend Ostrar, covering a man with no visible connection? And why take this defense to enough 'length' to kick against Sleek, who had taken to a scrutinous look into Ostrar's motives? This reeks of prior knowledge; prior knowledge that is being hidden from us.

"Both paths put Cathel at odds with the rest of us. That makes him a safe bet in my eyes."

Vote: Cathel
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

Telrunya was cleaning out one pipe while fervently smoking another. The odor that filled the room was not the typical one, but had a slight mint flavor to it. He must have changed the composition of whatever he put in there. It did --however-- not fail to produce the same grayish fog it always did.

"Ok, this is how I see it," Telrunya started, "we're going to get it 'twixt the buttocks pretty soon."

Having cleaned out one pipe, he takes a deep breath and continues. "There are eight of us left, and we still have to do anything. Perhaps reality will kick the council into gear where so many other attempts have failed.

"What's our best guess on the number of infiltrators? Two? Three? Let's assume three. This means there are five Slaaneshi in here and --lo and behold-- we need five votes to have an execution. This implies, if you're innocent, you not only have to be correct, but you need to be correct on the same target as all the other innocents. If I am correct and Cathel actually stopped caring to breath, then he must be an infiltrator or we are all doomed already.

"As I said: 'twixt the buttocks, pretty soon now. And they didn't even have to do anything for it.

"And you know what?" he continued, "It would have been better to execute Ostrar (Highborn on Black Dragon) even if he were innocent. Because, then we would need only four votes from four loyal people instead of five from five.

"Yet," Telrunya sighed, "reaching any consensus at all would already be an improvement We're with our backs against the wall and we haven't even started yet. To answer Belial's question, what did we learn from this morning? I learned that not enough people actually care about the outcome of this. But I will go down fighting. Fighting the majority of the council and the Tzeentchians at the same time if I have to.

"I've said it before. It are the Tzeentchians who want to see us dead, but it is the council that will eventually get us all killed. And I couldn't care less anymore, if only I weren't included."

Telrunya takes a deep breath of smoke, holds it for a moment and then releases a steady stream of thick grayish fog.

"About this morning. Belial, you pressed the vote for Ostrar. Commendable, but not optimal. Too many had stated that they believed him to be innocent. It would not only be hard to get enough votes, but his loyalty wasn't the one that was most urgent to be checked. More chances of a deadlock, and probably with an inferior result if it would actually have worked out. Don't get me wrong: no harm done since we couldn't get enough votes anyway, but we need to do better than that.

"Speaking about doing better, I will follow Sleek's advice and compare ideas. Unfortunately, we haven't been given much to work with. The avalanche Sleek mentioned seems like a mere snowball to me.

"There are eight people left. It's hardly more than a gut feeling, but I have already stated I believe Ostrar (Highborn on Black Dragon) to be innocent. His defence --or what should charitably pass for it-- hardly seems fitting for a Tzeentchian. That being said, the only stand he has taken is claiming that he is not capable of letting the issue go. Counterproductive? Indubitably. Guilty? I have my doubts.

"Apart from Cathel, who might be by far the most hindering element in this council, I have two main suspects.

"Firstly, there is Zarra (zzug). Strangely admitting she is at a loss, making certain she votes for someone and yet --at the same time-- making certain that no one can blame her for being wrong. she never said why she would actually suspect either Ostrar or Tarbo, and yet she made a decision. A cheap one. And I don't like cheap options. Trying to hide behind a coin won't work. The council has the right to know why you did choose Ostrar to vote for. I will not leave this matter be.

"Next, our resident sssssnakeman, Adrain the Great (sassmaw). Counterproductive? No doubt. Guilty? Maybe. He refuses categorically to take a stand, and when he does --only because he feels forced to-- his stand is to both block and handicap the council, as well as attacking the people who risk life and limb to deblock it. This does beg some questions. What is he afraid of? who is he protecting? why is he so certain that Ostrar is innocent that it is worth giving the council yet another handicap today? And does he care to elaborate? Snakeman, you mentioned you had suspects yesterday; we want names now."
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

"Tarbo, both your reasoning and your attitude are highly inappropriate and not appreciated at all. Missing might very well spell the doom of this council and your casualness is thus not in its place. I suggest you take a long hard look in the dark corridor where you've found this reasoning of yours and see whether you can pull out a better one to support your vote.

"Meanwhile, I do suggest you follow Sleek's recommendation as well. You surely have better ideas than the ones you are letting us on to."
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

Telrunya rubs his chin, pensively. "That sounded harder than it was supposed to. My apologies for my harsh words, Tarbo, I should have picked them more carefully. Fact stays that I believe this day to be crucial and --while we definitely need a consensus-- I believe your actions to be premature rather then swift.

"I hope against hope that we can still bring this to a good end, but the way I blamed you for your actions was not at its place here. Doubly so here since you have already shown yourself to be a reasonable man."
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

"We disagree on technique. I can accept that. You interrogate your suspect before placing your vote. Me, I prefer finding a pressure point, and squeezing. On any other occasion, I would agree with and indulge you but, unless Adrain deigns you worthy of his attention, we are not getting anywhere.

"You've had the questionable honour of finding that out yesterday. You asked nicely, and you were ignored. You then asked less nicely, and were again ignored. And they will keep ignoring you until they are either dead or you hammer your point home. And since we're dealing with skulls padded heavier than a lunatic's cell, you need a big hammer.

"So your frustration with my vote on Cathel is noted, and your wider annoyance with our lethargic apathy is shared. And though our opinions differ, I want one thing made clear. I will be your fifth man if and when you need me to be."
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Tarbo rose from his seat and took a deep breath, stretching his finger muscles. "Now here's a question for all you puzzle buffs. Is the other side of the table a full-membered council or, indeed, a mosaic?

"Gentlemen, I've seen you look, I've seen you listen and, more importantly, I've seen you twiddle your thumbs like there is no tomorrow. And here's the thing: there probably won't be a tomorrow. Not unless you get your fat arses out of park and into gear!" he bellowed.

"Now, I don't know who put these twinkly little ideas in your heads that staying quiet is a good plan. I'm not talking of those who simply nodded off. I speak of those who actively contemplate inactivity. Oh, let's sit on our arses and do nothing; that sounds like a great idea! Hey, I think I see people talking over there. Let's all give them the evil, evil eye from our shady corner and tell them that we're watching very closely. That will put the fear of our god into them.

"Or perhaps, if you've missed out on the collective lobotomy, you're too much of a coward to speak or even squeak. Oh no, if I speak up, maybe I'll say something that people won't like, and they'll all vote me. We can't have that --I'm too pretty to die!-- so I'll just sit here and pray on my knees that somebody else will save my skin.

"You sit there and, in your silence, you mock each and every one of us that is doing everything in our powers to save your skin. You know who you are. I know who you are. And I wouldn't so much as blink to leave you all to rot, if it weren't for the cruelty of lumping us all into the same group to suffer the same fate.

"So for the love of your own skin, just do something."