Group 29: The Storm Hounds, an Imperial Guard RP

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Group 29: The Storm Hounds, an Imperial Guard RP

Post by Dauricha »

The planet Solarin Beta was the secondary Imperial planet in the Solarin Solar System. It was a Agri-world, providing food for the inhabited planets in the rest of the system, and to the Imperium beyond. War had come to this world, and the system, two years ago. The foe was Chaos, and already in such a short time, the foul forces, had killed all Guard presence in the system, and taken over all the Imperium worlds. It had been a lighting strike against the the Forces of the God Emperor, and though it was not a critical system, it was still a part of the Imperium, and the Imperium did not take such an attack lightly. The campaign to retake the Solarin System, was undertaken as soon as nearby Imperium systems heard of it. A force of a five billion Imperial Guardsmen, with a regiment of Titans, full armored and air support, was launched to the system, with the full backing of the Imperial Navy.

After a year of intense fighting, further reinforcements have been sent to the system to aid in its recapture. Of the original force, two billion Guardsmen have died, along with many armored units, air support, Naval ships, and even a few Titans. Three of the five inhabited worlds have been retaken, and now the fight goes to Solarin Beta. Imperial forces, still fight in the space over the planet, though landfall has been made and a beaching point established. The war rages across the continents of the world, as the Imperium tries to take back what the forces of Chaos have taken. There is only war.

The Storm Hounds, have been sent as one of many regiments to aid in the retaking of the world, and the system. They have seen little combat so far in the conflict, and their commander, Colonel John Samson, is eager to show the Hounds skill. In their forward base, some of the sergeants of his regiment gathered with Lieutenant Naso ‘Bull’ Jaron, to hear their latest orders. Four of them stood with 'The Bull' looking over a map of their first real conflict on Solarin Beta. All of them were still quiet 'green' Sergeants, and though they had all seen conflict, they were still new to command, at least in Lieutenant Naso Jaron's eyes. He saw this as the perfect mission to test the men's new ranks and skill.

Alright ladies, this is your first target, Naso said point a finger at the circle on the right, that looked by the rough geography of the map to be on a hill. This is all the intel we have at the moment, most of the guards scanning and spy tech, aren't ready yet, so we're going to have to work with this for the moment. This is a command and signals bunkers, about 2 clicks behind enemy lines. Its nothing amazingly important, but by taking it out, you'll give the boys pushing at the front a small hand. It provides order signals and messages for a four mile stretch of the front line. Commands hope is by taking it out, things well get confused there and we'll be able to push forward faster. As far as we can tell, the region between the target and the front line had little to no anti-air so you'll be flown in by Valkyrie gunship to this point here. He said in his low gravelly voice, pointing at the area marked' drop zone.' From there you'll need to make it through the forest, to the settlement, which has the only crossing over the river for miles. Theses line indict roughly where enemy entrenchment and defences are. So you'll need to make your way through the town, which will probably also then crawling with traitorous scum to get to the entrenchments an then on to the bunker which will also be crawling with Traitorous Guard and PDF all wanting to say hello to you.

How you do it is up to you, also remember there are a few entrenched guard to the north of the settlement that you'll have to deal with. Once your up the hill immobilise the three anti-air guns, and then the signals tower. Once the guns are destroyed with the tower, we'll send the Valkyrie's in to pick you up. This is your, and the Hounds first real mission on this agri backwater, don't feth it up, or you'll be answering to me, even if your dead. So you boys got any questions before you go out for your afternoon stroll. Lietuant Naso grinned.

OOC: Lets get to this guys, FIRST POST DEADLINE IS 18TH OF JUNE any questions or confusions post them in the OOC thread or PM me. Good luck lets have a good time
Last edited by Dauricha on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phalx Tr'dasr – WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 5829
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Class: Shade
Check out, http://thingsfrom1934.com/
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Sergeant Cannis bent over the empty ammo crate serving as a planning table, shifting it slightly so as to get a better view. Straightening again he looked at his fellow sergeants, he did not know them all that well, but well enough for now.

"Right then, this is what I suggest" the manner in which he said the word 'suggest' made it painfully clear that he was on a wide detour from his usual conversational style

"First things first we need to take the settlement, not easy if they are dug in. So we need a distraction so that a force can tear into them properly." Cannis looked over his compadres again, weighing their strengths
"I can take my boys up to the northern tree line and raise a sh*t storm, doesn't really matter if we manage to kill anyone so long as we can get most of the traitors up in the northern defences."

He turned to Sergeant Saul "You could take your devil dogs" and then to sergeant Schofield and you your scarecrows up the centre, but stay out of sight as best you can until they are engaging my Law men. Finally Cannis turned to the young sergeant Frost, considering his depleted squad he said "While you could take the wild storm down the southern flank and keep their filthy heads crammed between their legs with covering fire."

"Once we have killed all of those slimy ba***rds we can scrap the anti air guns and blow the bunker sky high, preferably with a few traitors still inside. Then we can stick a charge in the tower and get the hell out of dodge."

Turning to the Lieutenant his tone took on a touch more respect
"Of course that depends on a few things sir; first what's the scale of the map, specifically how far is the tree line from the river and settlement. Second how tough is this bunker, are we talking about bit of PE to take it down or an orbital lance strike? Is it open or closed? I don't much like the idea of clearing the damn place out, not without flamers or frags.”

Turning back to the rest of the group Cannis said
"It’s more than a bit risky, so if anyone has a better idea I am all ears."

Cannis lays out a rough plan, namely that he distract the enemy to the north, Schofeild and Brenner go up the middle and Frost provides covering fire. He also asks the above questions and is more than open to ideas that don't leave him facing down the better part of the traitor forces taking pot shots from behind a log.

OOC: The planet can’t be the second primary world in the system; it can be the secondary world though :)
[/b]
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Feline
Warrior

Post by Feline »

Brenner only half listened to the first part of the briefing, only really getting interested when it came down to the details of the fight.

He gave a nod to the sergeant who had sketched out a solid, if basic, plan. Now what was his name? Cannis, I think.

"Well, I don't have a problem with that plan. As sergeant Cannis said, depending on scale, we can get damn close to the edge of the settlement."

He paused, eyes sweeping the room.

"And we do need a little more info on this bunker. My boys carry some heavy punch we can use from the settlement, but for this we might need demolitions charges.", he admitted grudgingly.

A bloody grin appeared on his face. "But we'll take it down with our teeth, if need be. The Devil-dogs don't fail." He looked back at Cannis. "You need a push up the middle, you'll get it." His eyes swept over to Schofield grinning in a slightly more friendly manner. "Make sure your boys keep up."

Brenner agrees with the plan in general, perhaps with slight variations depending on the answers to his questions. It's simple, and daring, which appeals to him. He'll support Cannis in the future if this is the mans style. He's also already made a secret internal friendly rivalry with Schofield.

OOC: Sorry it's a tad short. I'm trying to portray a man who makes quick decisions, and I'm a little short on time just around the time I'm posting this. :lol:
Name: Arlith Vail
Height: 5'10" - Weight: 100.lbs - Hair: Glossy black - Eyes: Pale gold
Stats: WS:3 - S:3 - T:3 - DX:5 - IQ:4
Skills: Basic Stealth
Equipment: Repeating Crossbow, Shortsword, Shade cloak.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Sergeant Frost stood a pace back from the other similarly ranking officers in the room, watching as his Lieutenant scowled over the map before giving them their first briefing. The details of their mission were sketchy, but Frost didn't know if that was because the Storm Hounds knew little of their enemy or because the Lieutenant was testing the newly appointed Sergeants. So we need to get past the dug in defences, through the river village and up into the tower, knocking out some anti-air guns as we go. Sounds simple enough, nothing my boys can't handle.

He listened to two of the older Sergeants lay down plans and ideas, asking questions about the bunker and the such. His mind lay elsewhere, behind the eyes of his enemy. If he had set up such a defence he would be expecting an attack from out of the trees, the only real cover an attacker would have to advance under. It made sense, the defences sketched on the map were facing that way too. He stepped forwards and took a closer look at the details of the map, shaking his head and coming up with another suggestion.

"We don't know what we're up against yet, I do not agree with a direct charge, distraction or otherwise. Could we not head South-East through the trees and meet up with the river somewhere to the South, then follow it up. That way we can suprise those at the river village without those at the north defence alerting them of our presence. If all runs smoothtly we can then hit the northern defence from behind and take them totally unawares. If it's a charge at enemy guns you want, you'll get that when we hit the bunker itself...

First things first though, what are we up against? Do the enemy have tracks, or is it just a bunch of cultist scum?"

His idea laid down, Frost will step back once more and let the others continue to talk it over.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Cannis turned to Frost "If we can great, but are there any fording points around here guarded any more loosely than this one? Sounds like there's not from the brief. I don't want to assault dug in troops than the next man, but we are not the only ones fighting this war."

If sneaking up stream and finding another ford unguarded or more loosely guarded is possible then Cannis is all for it, but the briefing says that there is not another crossing point for miles and while he is not averse to a quick tab if it will save lives he doubts we have that kind of room without running into other forces.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Schofield listened to the breiefing with a quiet interest, curious as to what regimental had planned for them all. From what he could tell the mission was, while with a useful purpose, not important enough to warrant veterans or a focussed attack from the majority forces. Not only that but they were all reletively new to the game of sergeant compared to the many others the regiment had available. Running a hand through his hair he looked arpund the room at the others before shifting gaze towards the map. Thats a pretty basic map they've given us, though I guess if they had more intel they'd send in some more veteran squads. Though it looks like the boys are in for a good fight.

While the others began to discuss early strategy Schofield continued to study the map, only half listening to the discussions from the others. Druid will probably want to grab a copy of this before we set out. I'll have to check with the Lieutenant about grabbing a copy. Straightening himself up he returned his attention to the discussion at hand as Cannis began to out line his plan.

Listening to his idea he looked once more to the map to consider it's effectiveness given what they currently knew whilst Brenner added his input to the situation. Looking towards the allied sergeant he gave him a wolfish grin from what was normally an unsmiling face, accepting the challenge for his sqaud to keep up. He looked towards the other sergeant in the group, taking his measure while he put forth his own plan. Frost makes some good points. It does seem rather reckless to charge headlong into gun emplacements and battle lines if we can get in from the side. He let Cannis finish his retort before he put forward his own opinions.

Scratching at the untrimmed stibble on his chin he cleared his throat and began to speak. While I don't doubt the ardour of me men and their ability to do their job I think that Sergeant Frost is right. There has to be a better way then charging head first into their emplacements."

Schofield pointed towards the map as he explained his thinking on the plan. "Looking at the map I reckon we if we moved south-south-east from the drop site towards the river we should be able to get in behind their trench lines or at least be able to attack them from a more favourable position."

Pausing he looked at the others to make sure he still had their attention. Personally if Frost's plan is viable I'm putting my vote towards it unless we can work out something that combines them or that we all can agree on.

Put's in his support for Frost's plan if their viable.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

Naso listened to the Sergeants ideas before he stepped in to speak again. The distance from the tree line to west edge of the river town is 150 to 250 yards, so a quick dash should see you into it, though there are bound to be some defenders though who will keep you busy as you make your way across, there's on real cover either so you'll have to move fast.

He lit a Iho stick before continuing, taking a long drag. As far as we can tell there's no armour of any sort in or anywhere near the settlement and the objective Apart from the few anti air guns around the Command bunker of course. You should be facing traitor guard units, and PDf. They'll be reasonably trained, with old Lasguns and a few solid shot rifles. There also appears to be a few heavy weapons, Heavy Studders, Mortars and the like in the trenches, but not many, but nothing you can deal with.

As for taking out the bunker, He grabbed something from underneath the briefing desk. He laid four flares on the map. Take one each, though it will only take one flare to get the job done. Set it off near the bunker, and It'll call in a Valkyrie for a torpedo run. Make sure your nowhere near when that happens, it will destroy that bunker for sure. Just make sure the anti air guns are dead though. He finished off his Iho stick, throwing the end away. How you do it gentlemen is your problem just get it done. You can figure out the finer points of your plan on the way. Inform your men, and be ready to head out in the hour. Dismissed. The four sergeants saluted and went to leave.

Ah before I forgot. Command has ordered that a Commissariat representative, come along for this mission. They say hes there to see how the Storm Hounds perform. Dont feth up boys. With that Lieutenant Naso turned away from them.

OOC: NEXT DEADLINE 21ST JUNE. OK so introduce your squads etc, then we can be off
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Feline
Warrior

Post by Feline »

Brenner sighed as he heard the news about a Commissar being part of the mission.

Commissar. Great. So much for "Just get it done however you need too." Now we gotta finish the mission AND keep the idiot with a bayonet up his fundament from shooting us in the back.

As the left the tent, he glanced at his fellow Sergeants. "Well, our Lieutenant certainly seems a man of action, at least."

Brenner grinned, and stuck out his hand towards Sergeant Schofield. "Looking forward to running into the enemies guns with you." This said with a sarcastic glance at Frost.

"I'm off to see to my men, then. See you all in transit." His piece said, Brenner heads off to prepare his squad.

Brenner smiled as he walked to the back of the barracks tent where his squad was engaging in various maintenance of their equipment. As he walked up, Bragg looked up from the tank fether he was carefully going over.

"What's the word, Sarge?" He said in his deep, rumbling voice. The others stopped what they were doing and looked up, waiting for whatever news Sergeant Brenner had.

"The word?" Brenner's grin widened. "The word is pack your sh*t and grab your kit, we're heading out in an hour."

Brenner informs his men to have all their gear ready and stowed before the 30 minute mark, and to be waiting near transit by the 45. He'll do the same.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

As Frost left the tent he ignored the jibe Brenner sent his way. The Wild Storm stick to their own anyway, I have no need for your praise. He nodded a quick greeting to the other Sergeants, if he was going to be working with them in the field he at least wanted to be civil. That said, he knew it was only his own lads that he could rely upon. Outsiders always had other plans and other ideas, and always put their own first. It made sense, but it made working together an uncomfortable footing for all involved. Even under the guidance of a Commissar, teamwork between newly introduced squads was second to survival.

Right, time to gear up and get ready to take some traitor lives. I think I know where I'll find the boys...

Frost crossed the makeshift base camp and made his way to the edge of a nearby treeline, where he had left his squad earlier that day to practice and train until he returned. Approaching the edge of the dark forest, he peered into the gloom beyond and let out a short, shrill animalistic whistle. A few moments passed and then a head popped up nearby, followed by another, then a third and a fourth. His boys jogged over, their training combats still wet with the paint of non lethal impactions. Frost smiled wearily as he took in the amount of paint on each of his boys, and the smear of purple that was splattered across Bears' forehead.

"Hawk got you again, eh Bear? Maybe if you weren't so big you could make use of cover."

The brutish shoulder laughed and smacked his Sergeant across the shoulder, "What news from the men who hand out orders, Wild Child?"

Suddenly more serious, Frost replied. "Gear up, I want us by transit in fourty minutes. There are traitors about that need the Emperors immortal guidance."

His boys were already leaving.
Last edited by Kinslayer on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Cannis turned away with a sour look, the meeting was apparently over but he was far from clear on what had been agreed. Frost was keeping his own council and could be relied upon to do whatever he thought was best which given that the lieutenant hadn't said whether they could slip around or not was a bit of a problem. Certainly he couldn't rely on them; any help they gave would just have to be gravy.

Throne alive I miss gravy, a nice bit of roast grox, not this freeze dried gruel paste they keep shovelling down our throats. Agri world my ass.

But he was just distracting himself from the uncertainty of the fight to come. At least the trees would give them good cover, if Saul and Schofeild went along with his plan as he thought they might it should work well enough.

Thrusting the flare gun into his belt Cannis walked back to the old barn his squad had commandeered finding them lounging around, eating lunch or breakfast or whatever the hell time it was on this world. He hated changing sleep cycles.

"Oh that's not good, last time the sheriff looked like that some joker from the fourth platoon had put laxatives in all the sergeant's coffee," Bess commented in mock fear

"So what's up boss?" she asked in a bright tone, ignoring his scowl

"Wheels up in an hour, seems there's a few traitors the brass would rather stopped breathing, so saddle up." he replied, addressing his words to the whole group

"Finally! A chance to do some damage!" Harris' school boy enthusiasm was rewarded by a sharp slap to the back of the head by the older more experienced corporal Farnes

"And none of that in the field! We are to be graced by a representative of the lord high nit pickers, and though I wouldn't mind half of you getting a smack round the head with a gavel I am the only one allowed to do it, so suit up, time to look like soldiers!"

Gentleman of Moderation
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

OOC - back now and fit to post

IC - Schofield listened patiently as the lieutenant answered their questions, filling in the last few details of the mission before they returned to their squads. Running his hand through his hair once more he looked to around at the others just as he heard the mentioning of the Commissariat. The mentioning of it made him blanche as he thought of the consequences for his men if something were to go worng and as his thoughts shifted towards Drust and his recent indiscretion, hoping that the soldier would stay out of trouble.

Great a Commissar, just what we need. Hopefully he sticks with Cannis' men, they should be up to his standards and should keep him away from us.

As they were dismissed he offered his hand towards Brenner before giving him a nod. "I see you on the battlefield then." Taking in a deep breath he headed towards were his mens quarters, going over the strategy in his head, amking sure he knew the plan.

Richards looked carefully at his cards, careful to control his expressions as to not give away that he had a good hand. Looking around the table he felt confidant that he had a winner. Gerrigan had a goofy smile on his face, overconfidant in his ability at the dame while Thomas sat there quietly looking at the other 3 round the table having folded after the first bet. The one he wasn't sure of was Thomas who played the game carefully, never betting too much, always being so calculated in his decisions, he didn't like it, it made it harder for him to win Thomas's money. Just as he was about to show his hand and win the pot he saw the Sergeant walk in through the flap, a grim sort of look on his face.

Seems like the meeting didn't go so well. That or it's about to go downhill again.

Schofield looked around at his men, four of them were playing a game of cards which currently had a large cum of money waiting for a victor to collect it. Looking towards the corner he saw Templar with his gun, cleaning it cartefully whilst muttering to himself prayers of penetance towards the Emperor. Clearing his throat he made his presence clear. "Alright men. Get your gear together and be ready to move out smartly. We have a mission to take an outpost and mark it for attack. One you've got your stuff I'll go over details. Also make sure to keep your selves presentable, we have a Commissar from Command joinging us so make sure you do the Storm Hounds proud."

His men left their game quickly and went to prepare just as he would do so soon. Looking to Thomas he called the trooper to him. "Thomas, front and centre. You and I need to have some words."

First the mentioning of the commissar sent shivers down his spine and now that the sarge wanted to talk to him he was worried something was wrong. "Listen Drust" his sergeant said, "I want you in particular to keep your nose down and yoyr gun up. The commissar will be up to date with your indiscretion and your punishment, but still, the last thing we need is for him to find some reason to reconsider your punishment." As thoughts drifted back to the event pain lashed at his back as if he could feel them strippin away the flesh again. All he could muster to say was a quiet, "Yes Sergeant. and he went to ready his gear.
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

IC: The four Sergeants gathered up their troops and gear and headed to the tarmac where there transport waited. Each had found a map of their mission site in their barracks, and stowed them away safety. They saw the large Valkyrie Transport waiting for them, with a squadron of Valkyrie Gunships around it. They waited by the loading ramp of their ride for the Commissar, and they didn't have long to wait.

He came over the tarmac the Commissar standard black trench coat flapping behind him. His clothes and armor were well maintained and polished. A large Laspistol and a Chainsword hung at his sides. He was young though. His youthful features looked odd with the Commissars cap. His skin was pale, and the thick black leather coat hung off his thin lean frame. He approached the Sergeants, and taking a breath began to speak.

I am Commissar Cadet Blake. This is my first I expect you to be very good little soldiers. He didn't sound very confident. Well men shall we get on board. He solo field mission, so finished striding up the ramp as the engines of the transport began to warm up.

OOC: NEXT DEADLINE 23RD OF JUNE. Ask Commissar Blake anything you want on your way to the mission site. We will be getting into the thick of it in my next mod post, so have some more squad development and introduction in your next post.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Frost waited idly for the others to arrive, having ensured his men were at the Valkyrie transport at least a quarter of an hour before necessary. His men may not keep their uniform spotless and their boots sparkling clean, or indeed keep their tongues in check around seniors, but they could be relied upon to be the first to arrive and the last to leave. He was thorough in his teachings, though the boys had been doing what they did the way they did it long before Frost had been offered Sergeant. The access ramp at the back of the flight vessel was shut, so he brought his four men to attention and awaited the arrival of the Commissar. It wasn't long before Brenner, Cannis and Schofield turned up, and no sooner had the last of their squads touched heel on the tarmac runway than the ramp on the Valkyrie hissed its way open.

Out walked the biggest pillock Frost had ever seen. You call that a Commissar, heck I'd eat that whelp for breakfast. I thought I hit Sergeant young, this boy must've been born into his rank, there's no way he could've earned it already." Sure enough, the Commissar who then introduced himself as Blake informed them that he was both new to the position and, accidently, that he was not yet very good of it. Frost couldn't help but stiffle a laugh, he had been expecting an old army leftover with greying hair and more scars than he had face. Ah well, sod it, this guy will probably be easier to work with. I just hope he knows which way around to hold that laspistol. Actually, it would be rather entertaining to see him shoot himself in the head..."

His thoughts full of insult and disregard, Frost saluted the youthful Commissar and led his squad up the access ramp and into the metalic interior of the Valkyrie. As they took their seats he gave Snake a little jab in the arm, snapping the gunman out of his gawping stare at Blake. "Just ignore him, he'll be off our backs sooner or later, one way or another" he said quietly so that nobody else could hear. Again suddenly more serious, a change his squad had come to know and respect, he turned to Fox and issued first orders. "Alright sly dog, I want you to check for the obvious when we land. I'd ask Bear to do it but he'd probably slip over and get his combats all muddy. Hawk, you know what to do. If there's anyone watching us I want you watching them."

Feeling the engines starting to heat up, the transport now starting to shake as it prepared to launch, Frost gave a quick nod of respect to each of his fellow Sergeants.

"Time to fly."
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

By the time Cannis arrived at the landing strip with his squad in tow the rest of the platoon were already assembled, evidently having arrived early.

Overeager at best, nervous at worst. Still, doesn't really matter. to Cannis and hour meant an hour, neither early nor late and if his squad hadn't felt that way when he was corporal they certainly did by now.

"Not many smiling faces," Farnes kept his voice low, pitching so that only his sergeant could hear

"Look over your shoulder", the sheriff replied "Harris is grinning like a dog in a butchers shop," Farnes gave a tight grin of his own

"He's a good boy, he'll learn soon enough. Besides, it’s been too long since we were in the field. Cannis simply nodded, it had been too long and if he was not one to give way childish excitement he was still looking forward to the mission. It was what he did.

Coming just five minutes before wheels up Cannis was barely in place before the Commissar came flouncing down the tarmac. The Sheriff took in his uniform and face at a glance

A cadet, just out of the scholum from the looks of him. A boy.

Hiding his distain Cannis came to a proper salute, as did his squad, though they did not hold it as would have been appropriate for a senior or honoured officer. The forms had to be observed or discipline would collapse, but that didn't mean he had to like it.

As the lad began to speak he betrayed his inexperience,

Could be good or bad; he might lack the confidence to interfere too much and leave the soldiering to the professionals; and if we can take him while still wet behind the ears we might just turn him into a proper commissar, a man who knows how to inspire. On the other hand if he thinks he needs to prove himself, or assert his authority half of us will be dead by enemy fire and the other half by firing squad. Well, nothing to be done about it now.

"Not much to look at is he?" Jericho rumbled, at least having the sense to keep his voice quiet enough that it would not carry beyond the squad

"Little brat is what he looks like," Matiel added

Both looked down abashed as Cannis shot a withering glance over his shoulder, no matter that they simply voiced what he himself was thinking. Hefting his lasgun in one hand and taking a quick swig from his hip flask with the other Cannis directed his squad to mount the waiting flyer, as they filed off he called to the other sergeants,

"When we set down we will need to secure the landing area quick smart, which will be a lot more efficient if we don't all try to cover everything, so I suggest that my squad secures the north, and each of you takes another direction to cover. If we can't trust each other to do our jobs right nothing is ever going to get done."

Gentleman of Moderation
Feline
Warrior

Post by Feline »

Brenner stood with his squad, farther away from Frost and his squad then was perhaps absolutely necessary. He watched as Cannis walked onto the tarmac, barely on time. Hmm. Disappointing. Seems willing to risk his punctuality, when there's no real need. Well, maybe he had some pressing matter to attend. he thought.

He let his thoughts stray as the squad bickered good naturedly. He came back from his reminiscing as the ramp began to lower. A few quick smacks to the back of the heads of Duffels and Snake-eater, the chatterers, stopped the conversation. The grumbling men came to attention, waiting to see what kind of Commissar they would have to deal with.

As the Cadet-Commissar walked towards them across the rockcrete, Brenner felt hugely underwhelmed. Golden throne, he's barely out of the cradle, let alone training. Does he even have a single combat under his belt? Very quickly, it was confirmed that no, he did not. Well, I hope he at least knows enough to let us just do the job without interfering.

Cannis, the sergeant who had proposed their rough plan for the operation, proposed another for securing the LZ. Solid, professional. Glad someone spoke up about it. "My boys will take the south side, then. Also," addressing the commissar now, "which squad will you be attaching yourself to, sir? Might I recommend Sergeant Frosts, as his position will be the most likely to give you a tactical overview of the battlefield."

Crazy-horse almost giggled, but Brenner discreetly ground his toes with his boot heel, stifling the man who quickly turned his laughter into a cough.

Brenner will take the south side of the LZ, and recommend the Cadet-Commissar travel with Sergeant Frost for "Tactical reasons".
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Pressing and holding the munition release on his carbine, Frost caught the clip as it dropped to his hand. He paused for a second before suddenly thumbing the activation on the las pack, slamming the clip back into the base of his rifle, flicking off the safety and pulling taught the loading mechanism. Five seconds. Not good enough.

He just about caught on to the end part of what Cannis said, having assumed his muttered words were not intended for his ears. Noticing that the other Sergeant was now addressing the platoon as a whole, he was about to reply when Brenner cut him up. He kept his expression blank and let Brenner speak his part, not suprised to hear the brute try and dump the young Commissar on the Wild Storm at the first opperunity presented. He rubbed his hand across the short black stubble atop his near shaven head, sighing outwardly at the suggestion.

"When we land my squad will cover West, in case anything the Valkyrie doesn't pick up is loitering behind us. As for our plan of action, if I am to lead my men seperately to provide you cover so be it. However, I think you may find your talents best suited to staying with these three, Commissar Blake. What good is a tactical view of what is going on if you can't then pass your inspiring words of wisdom on to those in the thick of it. Me and these four will be on our knees in the mud watching both the enemy and the rest of your backs, I'd hate to see you get that dress cloak dirty on your first day. That and I think Brenner may need assisstance pointing his lasgun."

Already realising he was probably overstepping the line, but not exactly one to do things by the book, Frost then gave the young Commissar a slight bow of the head. He was sure the other Sergeants would pick up on the underlying insult, he just hoped that Blake didn't spot it. Back at camp on their homeworld the Wild Storm were known by most, and even respected by some, for their crude yet efficient ways of doing just about everything. That generally included conversation. Out here on Solarin Beta, however, they were not known by any. It seemed they would have to make a name for themselves, no doubt written in the blood of their traitorous enemies.

Not exactly a textbook start to making new friends, but I swear on the Imperium if I get stuck with Blake I'm shooting someone in the face today."

He suddenly thumbed the activation on the once more ejected las pack, slammed the clip back into the base of his rifle, flicked off the safety and pulled taught the loading mechanism once again. Three point five seconds. Much better.
Feline
Warrior

Post by Feline »

Brenner fought to keep a grin off his face. Frost had immediately realized what he was trying to do, and had mounted his defense, but perhaps overplayed his hand, and left an opening that might be exploited. You'll have to get up damn early if you want to stick on old timer like me with this brat, boy.

"I'll choose to ignore your rudeness to myself and the good Commissar. And surely the commanding officer should be kept as safe and informed as possible so that we can all benefit from his continued tactical advice through the com-net for the duration of the mission, and so that he might fulfill his job of evaluation and continue to inspire troops for years to come.

Let us grunt foots sloggers take the center, sir, you're much to valuable to risk in such a way when the Guard is counting on your observational powers to assess our potential. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a shadow falling over the regiment because some heretic got a lucky shot or some devious trap befell the good Commissar, would you, Frost?."

His eyes twinkling with merriment, Brenner will await the Commissars decision.

OOC: We do have com-beads, right? Because if not my argument is in trouble. :lol:
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Now clean shaven he made his way out to the landing pad with his men following up quickly from behind. Each had their lasguns slung over their sholders while the uniforms were as neat as they;d ever be, hoping not to dissapoint the commissar. Each one of his men were ready for the fight, the weapons primed, combat blades sharpened. They had a reputation to live up to and so help them by the Emperor's command he would ensure that they kept it.

His men were the last to arrive and they made their way to the transport Valkyrie to await the final member of the troup. And then he made himself apparent to them. Schofield gave the man a quick look over before looking back to his men to see how they were reacting. So this is the fine example of the commissarant they've sent to us.

"Hey Sarge, you sure I can't have a few jokes with the kid up front. The codger looks like he lives off tea and well-ironed coats." Trickster was doing his best not to draw attention to himself while he chuckled to himself. Thanatos spoke sharlpy, digging his elbow between Trickster's ribs, "Shut up Trickster you idiot. He's young but he still has the authority to drill a bullet through your thick skull."

That ought to shut him up for a while Schofield thought to himself. Turning his attention back to the other Sargeants he listened to the discussion, keeping his eyes locked on the Commissar, wondering which unluckly lot would get stuf with the whelp.

"I guess that means me and my Shadows' will secure the East side of the LZ then." His part said he left the others to debate the merit of the Commissar going with the others squad, hoping to keep him and his men out of the equation.

Druid looked towards the commissar, somewhat let down in his expectations. To his left he could hear the sound of Trickster having a little chuckle and let out a sigh. One day that fools jokes are going to get us all in alt of trouble. Once more he went over his mental checklist, ensuring he had all his gear, using it as a way to clear his mind for the upcoming battle. He could hear the other Sergeants arguing over who got stuck with Commissar Blake before looking to their own Sergeant Scarecrow, so cool and quiet, standing aprt from his men and the others. Luckilly Scarecrow was keeping out of it, trying not to get involved and offend by accident.

Fenrir was still uncomfortable about the pressence of a Commissar, though he was unsure of if it was worth to have fresh blood or a cold hard veteran with them. So long as he doesn't get in my way or try make an example and do something stupid I'm happy. Swinging his lasgun round he gave it a final inspection, flicking of some of the remaining specks of dirt the were scattered over the weapon.

Templar was quiet, quiet and anxious at the chance to slay those who had forsaken the God Emperor, his saviour and guidance in his path. He'd already made his prayers of penetance and safety and strength for the oncoming battle. Now, now he just had to wait.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Frost couldn't help but admire Brenners sheer bluntness even in the face of a Commissar. The other sergeant was making it perfectly obvious that he did not want Blake tagging along with his squad, though then again Frost guessed he was probably giving off the same vibe as well. He chuckled and gave Brenner a nod of respect, pausing to take in the other sergeants for a moment as he buckled up. This Brenner seems to steadfast, he is clearly unwilling to budge. Cannis seems like a textbook sarge, he did arrive bang on the hour afterall. The good guy then, which means he is probably hiding something.

As strong willed as Frost was, he was outnumbered here and was thus put in a position that made it very difficult for him to get his own way. He looked the third Sergeant up and down, already formulating a clever string of words that ought to disuade Blake from joining his Wild Storm. Schofield was yet to speak up an opinion on the matter, so Frost jumped on this one last oppertunity to send Blake off with the others.
"You are right of course, Sergeant Brenner. We do not want our new friend and Commissar getting harmed, thus I suggest hiding yourself behind the others' large press of bodies rather than just my five. As the flankers we will be the ones most likely to fall into a trap, and acting as a diversion I would hardly want to draw enemy attention to you. The decision is yours, of course, Commissar Blake."

Frost bowed curtly to Blake once again, gritting his teeth as he awaited the seniors' reply.
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

All four of the squads strapped into their seats in the large hanger bay of their transports interior. The Commissar took at seat facing them all from near the cockpit of their Valkyrie. He let the sergeants and their men make their comments. The heavy frump of the transport taking off blocked out any noise for a few moments until they were in the air. Once the noise had quietened, all four sergeants and most of the men saw that Commissar Cadet Blake had drawn his Laspistol. The young officer had a serious look on his face before he spoke.

Now that you have given your suggestions, and your simple yet slightly quaint ideas in regards to myself. Here is what I have to say. I will go where i want in this mission. If I feel im needed at the front line I shall go there if not I will be somewhere else, but know this gentlemen, I will be keeping my eyes on you all. suddenly a fuzzy 3d image of the map the sergeants had seen appeared above the Commissars chair. The west is cover gentlemen, and our landing zone will be clear. We will all head eastwards through the woods. When we draw close to our first target we will decide finally who go where, unless you have a definite idea of your movements now.

Gentlemen if there is nothing else, I shall lead us in a Blessing before we land. Bowing his head, pistol still tightly gripped Blake intoned a Blessing of the Emperor on them all. They landed shortly after. As Blake had said the landing zone was clear, so forming a rough line they moved eastward through the woods. [color=green]Sergeants this is the comm-link, you will be able to talk with me when you want, as standard though your men have no comm links. Lets go, In the name of the Emperor.
[/color]

NEXT DEADLINE 25TH OF JUNE
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Sitting in the Valkyrie it quickly became apparent that Frost and Brenner’s attempts to play politics badly had somewhat irritated their glorious boy wonder of a leader.

Fantastic, he is going to try and assert himself. This mission just got about five times more dangerous.

As the boy began bothering the Throne with his muttered benediction Cannis tried to communicate to the other sergeants that taking the cadet at his word would be a very bad idea, and that they should still secure to LZ as a matter of course. It would most likely be clear, but if it wasn't and they were not ready an overzealous and under aged commander would be the least of their worries. They couldn't afford to develop bad habits.

When the transport came down Cannis took his squad out at a run, fanning out in pairs to cover the northern length of the clearing. As it happened they found nothing, which was good, and were soon on their way trekking through the arboreal undergrowth and attempting to make as little noise as possible, which to Cannis' irritation seemed to be a site easier for Frost and Schofield's men than his own.

After they had been walking for a time Cannis judged that they had gone as far as was sensible with the main party, it was time to head north.

"Right then, me and mine are for the north to lure the enemy in so you lot can get in there and kill 'em. I will radio you all when I am in position, if you could all do the same it would be appreciated. Just give me a few moments to really gather their forces before you attack, that's all I ask.

The sheriff turned to the commissar "If that's all right with you sir?"

Although he had slotted the last comment in Cannis did not wait on a response but rather immediately signalled his squad to come away, spearing off to the North East.

As they came a little way away from the group Cannis dropped his conciliatory side and began giving orders
"Pairs in a goose flight, watch each other’s backs. Now quick march! I want us ready to raise a shiz storm the moment the others are in position. Time is not our friend" As his squad settled into their customary pairs in the formation Cannis looked back to see if the commissar was following, even as he began the punishing pace of the quick march."

If this is too much like power gaming I apologise.

Anyway, Cannis will try and subtly indicate to the rest of the group that they should still secure the LZ just to be on the safe side. When that is done and they are about half way there he will lead his squad away to the north east picking up the pace to a quick march (three steps running, three walking) with the squadies pairing up with one another and fanning out in a triangular line with Cannis and Matiel on point, Farnes and Harris to the back right and Bess and Jericho to the back left and Winsor and Skrag in the centre behind the sergeant with about three feet between each pair and a foot between each person in a pair.

He is planning to take up a position on the tree line (in cover) as near as possible to the enemy positions while still having half decent shots and will call the other sergeants and Blake (assuming he doesn't come with me) when he is in position).

OOC:Whew, long summary there. Like I said I hope this is acceptable, sorry if not.

Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - Might I suggest slowing the game down ever so slightly. I can tell we all want to get into combat as soon as possible, but having us make a plan to secure the landing zone only to have that scene completely skipped is like playing in fast forward. Even if there is nothing there, it gives us all a chance to show off more of what our squads are like out on the field etc. Just a suggestion anyway.

IC -

Frost was already telling his boys to ignore the Commissars' last words and secure the landing zone anyway when he heard Cannis' voice crackle over the comm-link saying the exact same thing. You don't need to tell an army sergeant that, nobody would make a landing without being on high alert, even if they were coming down in their own back yard."

As they landed he led his squad out to the west, Fox and Bear running over to the left and Snake and Hawk to the right, with he himself taking centre. It all looked clear, and he listened for the crackled confirmitives of the other sergeants' securing the other sides of the LZ. When they were sure they were not in any immediate danger, he ordered the boys to job back and regroup with Blake by the Valkyrie.

Before Frost knew it they were already trudging through the forest undergrowth, his lads being careful not to snap twigs or drawn unwanted attention to themselves. He couldn't help but grit his teeth in distaste as some of the other members of the other squads made more noise than he would have liked. Wild Storm had spent much of their time training on their homeworld out in red zone areas, living and surviving in the wild as a truly hard test of their strengths.

Halting near the river, Cannis informed them he was taking his squad north to cause a distraction and that the rest of them should draw the enemy out. Frost had thought it would be down to his own squad to play that role, but with Cannis already marching off through the undergrowth he sighed and turned to those that still remained.

"Works for me. If you lot want to try to draw them out so Cannis can ambush from further north, I suggest I take my four down the river a little. Hawk should be able to deal with any enemy high-rank with his sniper and the rest of us can engage as reinforcements from behind once the trap is sprung."

As with Cannis, Frost is not really waiting for an answer, already signalling for his lads to get moving.
Feline
Warrior

Post by Feline »

Brenner sighed. So much for sticking him where he might not be a problem. He glanced at the Commissar, then turned to his squad. "Right then lads, we don't wanna be getting in the way of someone else's advance! Fan out a little, this way." He watched as the squad secured the south side as nonchalantly as possible. When everything seemed fine, he started to lead his men into the forest along with Cannis and Frost. "Right, then on to the objective!"

As they stated into the treeline, Crazy-horse drifted in next to Brenner. "Hey, Sarge. What you think the probability of an "accident" is on this mission?" he whispered. Brenner gave a small shake of his head in response. "Negative. No "accidents", comprende?" he whispered back. Crazy-horse inclined his head and drifted back out a little.

The men in the squad watched the exchange, saw the shake no, and knew even before Crazy-horse passed on a simple "No." to them that this would be a clean mission, no deaths that weren't enemy inflicted.

Brenner will likewise start off towards his objective. His men will go into a rough v fronted by him, with Bragg in the middle of the v.
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

OOC: Kinslayer you are right, sorry for skipping over it.

IC: The four squads didn't take the orders of their young 'officer easily, and secured the LZ anyway. They didn't go out and make it obvious, but in the space of five minutes they had cleared it confirming their was no enemy presence. Blake didn't make comment on it, as he went with Cannis and his troops. All four of the squads cleared their areas quickly and with Guard trained skill each giving a blip on their comm beads when they had cleared their sector.

Blake stayed with Cannis, as they marched towards the northern defences of the traitorous guard. They fell into a V shape as they made their way through the trees as silently as possible. Blake was a few paces behind the formation, Laspistol and Chainsword drawn.

Brenner and Schofield took their men east through the woods and towards the river settlement. Like Cannis and his boys to the north they encountered no trouble. They made it to the edge of the woods and looked down upon their target. Bragg lay his Tank Fether down as he crouched by his sergeant and the others. Their was, as best they could reckon, 160 yards of clear grass before the settlement, that looked like most imperial towns. The buildings were scarred by gunfire, and some had collapsed. Firs still burnt, and in one street that lead from their position into town, they saw two f their foes for the first time, huddled by a oil barrel fire. They were clearly sentries but they were doing their job very well. At the distant it was hard to pick out much detail, but they both wore dirty, heavily patched guard uniforms, with blasphemous insignia and designs on them. On their backs were slung old Las rifles maybe Mrk II or III variants. They also spied about four other sentries, on the roofs of some of the not so destroyed buildings, but like the two on the road, they didn't seem very interested, or worried that an enemy could be nearby.

Frost and the 'Wild Storm' saw much of the same from their southern position on the settlement. They were still hidden in the trees, and near the slow running river. Hawk the squad sniper used his scope to see what lay ahead of them. Their were three sentries on the southern side. Also there was what looked to be a make shift barracks, that used to be a engineers shop. He couldn't tell how many were inside, but he caught movement in one of the windows Finally he saw on one of the roofs of the southern houses a gun emplacement. It was a piss poor job to be fair, merely a heavy reapter lasgun, with a few sandbags around it. The gun didn't look to good either, and as Hawk watched through the scope he saw one of the two gunners was trying to fix the plug socket for the things power core. He reported all of this back to his squad as he went.

Cannis and Blake hid at the very edge of the tree line to look at their dug in foes. They were clearly worried that an enemy would come down the river, for they had placed about two score of guards in the trench. One score was on this side of the river, and the other score were on the other side, where there was also a light mortar. They also saw a rough badly built wooden bridge spanning the river, from one trench to the other. it would lake getting across the river easier without having to go through the settlement, but it also meant the enemy would be able to ferry men across as well.

Right Sergeants whats your plans?
Blake spoke over the comms.
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Scarecrow and his men sat quietly on the Valkyrie during transit to the LZ, giving their weapons one final check before they landed. Lowerin his head in a sign of reverence he listened to the blessing by Commissar Blake, quietly hoping that the rest of him men were showing the same sort of reverence in front of the officer. While he may not be the most experienced of commissars at least he's faithful and driven. Knowing they were about to land he looked down his men giving a quick nod to let them know to be ready to move out.

On the ground his men spread out and secured their section of the LZ quickly and quietly, though as Blake had informed them it was quiet with no visuals on the enemy. With the LZ secure his men closed in around him. "Alright men, from here we move out according to the plan. I want to keep things quiet and I want you spread out through the trees. If your spotted or hear something suspicious stop and listen until it's safe to move on. And remember to keep an ear open for my orders or the Commissar's" Giving another nod to his men he gave a quick point towards the treeline.

Once they were within the trees he heard the crackling of the com-link before the Commissar spoke to them."Roger that Commissar Blake and let the Emperor protect. Scarecrow out." With little need other than the quick acknowledgement he spoke to his men once more.

"Alright. Thanatos you take point. Trickster I want you on the left wing, Fenrir you take right. Druid, Templar; you two are to stay close to me."

Hand's gripped tightly on his weapon he hoped the mission would be a success and that the Commissar would cause minimum trouble for them.

Will lead the men off towards the objective. Thanatos will take point out at the front with Trickster out on the left flank and Fenrir on the right with the others in the centre around the sergeant.

OOC - Damn it... you got in before my post... don't suppose you can shift it above your mod post and I'll see about getting another post in after dinner... if not tomorrow morning.