VAU I - Vampire Amongst Us (explanation discussion)

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I might not have investigated you Deroth but I did investigate Dragonsbreath so I knew it wasn't Jessica otherwise I probobly would have voted for her.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Dragonsbreath
Warrior

Post by Dragonsbreath »

I was pretty sure I was going to get staked, the evidence seemed undeniably compelling. Need to pick my allies more carefully next time, it seems...Good thing the local witch hunter was on the case, really.

Well played though, Deroth, I really didn't have much of a clue - I was just glad that we were voting for someone who wasn't me
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

I thought I was well set up because I thought there was good evidence pointing to both Dragonsbreath and Dresden and a few silent members, I thought I was looking like the most innocent of the lot :P

As for the puppet it was hard to work out a good strategy, because the person knows they are being led, it is similar to the nightly kills. Who you compel them to vote for gives them clues, I was just a bit too cautious to use it right but I think I better understand it now for next time.

Also it is tough to take part in the active discussions because they normally occur when I am asleep so when the conversation ends each time that is when I pipe up and there is not normally that much I can say without someone replying......... Maybe that was a bad explaination but simply put it is hard to have a meaningful discussion with yourself or when you are asleep for that matter.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Like I said I don't know why I suspected you, in my experience my gut instinct is allot better than my powers of logic and deliberation in these things. I don't know if that is good or bad but it seemed to get the job done. Hard luck, we were extremely fortunate to bag a pawn first time.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord damian valar »

hi all! Thought I'd enter again now that it is over. Had a good time, however short I participated. Grats on finding the Vampire.....too bad poor Piotr had to die in the process! :roll:

I wanted to ask and mention one more thing for future games. It strikes me as odd that one is allowed to post thoughts in these games. Once someone posts a thought (something no other character can visibly see or hear) this automatically plays them clear and out of the game, since a character cannot have false thoughts.

example: Dietrich posted this:

Looking at Theo's corpse, Dietrich shivered and thought to himself, So we are not even safe in here, damn beast can kill us in our sleep without alerting any of rest of us. It's bloody toying with us, the sooner we can find it the better.

I do not think this is possible, moreso since he was the Vampire. One cannot think to himself to be afraid of the the Vampire when one knows he himself is the vampire. Had he spoken the words it would be another matter, making them audible to others and thus manipulating them. Simply thinking them does not make them identiviable to other characters, but they do to the players and in a game like this I do n ot think it good to have players make descicions based on things their characters cannot know.

Not sure if I make clear very well what I'm trying to say, but in my opinion thoughts (although a wonderfull tool in roleplaying) should not be permitted in VAU/SAU games, one must only make visible those things that all the other other characters (not players) should be able to witness.

But anyway...when is the next game???

D...

Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

I did intend it to be muttering to oneself but didnt think hard about it at the time and could not edit it once posted so I just left it at that.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

Deroth, not wishing flame you here. Others posted thoughts as well, your post came first so I used it in the example. Still learning these kind of games, and it struck me as against the nature of a VAU or SAU to post thoughts thats all!
Darkdoom
Executioner

Post by Darkdoom »

I think thoughts are a necessary in this. Not all things your want your character to express can would be said by him. Post only ever give you a very narrow perspective of the character. If for example the vampire is trying to seem innocent, as he should, he might bring himself to fear the vampire, himself, just for show, which might even extend to his thoughts. Additionally it is just an to important tool to influence the other players to get rid of.

Oh, and Drainial nice work at the end there, I thought you where the witch hunter, that's why I tried to protect you in my last post.
So when is the next one on?!?!
Sangui Sangetsu Group 34

WS:5
S :4
T :2
D :3
I :4

Equipment: Longsword, Dagger, Leather amour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Handbow - 2 x 4 and 1 x 3bolts, pocket sundial, dry rations, 125 Crowns
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

When someone decides to run it.

Gentleman of Moderation
Darkdoom
Executioner

Post by Darkdoom »

Hmm, tempting, I have to put some thoiught into that one.
Sangui Sangetsu Group 34

WS:5
S :4
T :2
D :3
I :4

Equipment: Longsword, Dagger, Leather amour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Handbow - 2 x 4 and 1 x 3bolts, pocket sundial, dry rations, 125 Crowns
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

Well, whenever someone does agree to run one, I call the first place on it!! :D
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I'd be willing to run another one but I have at least one, probably two busy weeks ahead of me. If anyone else can step up and take on the GM position that suits me fine for the time being.
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

@Darkdoom, I do not agree. Thoughts are not outwardly visible and cannot be manipulated in the first place. Most simple example is: for the next minute, try not to think of an apple...you simply can't.

And since thoughts are not visible outward it does not interact with the other characters in the VAU/SAU, it only affects the players, who read something their characters cannot comprehend. I do agree that in roleplaying on a forum thoughts are a very good way to give depth to a character, but simply not in a VAU/SAU.

Expressions however are a whole other matter. For instance, instead of posting:

Piotr thinks to himself, Oh my, another has died tonight by that dreaded Vampire. I fear for my life, who could be next?

One could post:

Piotr has a fearfull look on his face as he looks at the last victim of the Vampire. His eyes blink rapidly, presumably reflecting on what might happen the next night.

You see, in the thought example Piotr's thoughts indicate that he cannot be the Vampire, since he fears for his life to be next. In the second example he looks fearfull for the same reasons, but expressions can be faked, thougts cannot.

Further, I too would be very willing to do another game. Too early for me to host one though. I would like to, but want to get another one under my belt before trying it though.

D...

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I have had an idea for a fun TAU and since I currently have time on my hands and there appears to be a demand for it I think I will run it so long as there is enough interest.

Gentleman of Moderation
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

I'm in!!

8)
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

Drainial wrote:I have had an idea for a fun TAU and since I currently have time on my hands and there appears to be a demand for it I think I will run it so long as there is enough interest.
That's pretty much the same concept as 'Werewolves'/VAU/SAU isn't it? In that case, I'm in!! :)
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Well the sign up thread has just gone up so for simplicities sake please confirm your interest there.

Also yes it is basically the same as SAUs ect.

Gentleman of Moderation