VAU I - Vampire Amongst Us (explanation discussion)

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

VAU I - Vampire Amongst Us (explanation discussion)

Post by Lord damian valar »

As this was the first of these games I have joined I and thus have no experience how this usually goes I must ask this.

What did just happen?

Only 6 out of 9 people voted, including myself 3 on me and 3 on Richard Benly, with most likely at least Gunther (who did not yet vote) also voting for Medly, as Medly's original vote went to him and Piotr questioned that vote.

Then suddenly, without notice the day ends, my vote is discarded and my character is dead. Is this normal?

D...
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

You actually played really well for a first timer, but sometimes things go againt you. There is always someone who has to get voted off first unfortunately.

During the Day phase, all players must post at least once and have the option of voting. If they decide to change their vote they can do so. There is however no rule stating that all players must vote every time. Also, the reason the Day phase ended tonight without everyones vote is that a couple of days ago, I said it would end in a couple of days. I did not set an actual deadline as I wasn't sure what time I would be online to post, but basically each phase is 2 days of real time. Thus, Night will end in 2 days (Friday evening for me).

As for your vote not counting, that was because at the time of me hitting the reply button you had not posted. You must have posted during the time it took me to write up the post, but I had already counted the votes by then, which at the time was 3 against you, 2 against Medley.

Please don't feel disheartened, if the game ends relatively quickly and everyone is still game I will replay it, and hopefully you will have the chance to survive a little longer.

I hope that helps.
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

Dear Kinslayer, I hope you do not take this as ranting on you for I do appreciate the effort you put in this game. It also does not bother me to have died as the first of the players.

I do however feel wronged in how it happened for the following reasons

Since you did not gave a timeframe for when the day would end and 3 people voted against me, yet two others voted for Medly I think it would be pretty obvious whom I would vote for. As I posted very regular it was also clear my post would probably be made soon.

Moreso, I think the interaction became very interesting at this point, since it would be very plausible for Gunther to also vote for Medly, since Piotr kind of stood up for him and Medly’s first vote went to Gunther. That could have gotten into a very nice roleplaying discussion for the the last 2 voters

The fact that my very critical vote happened 15 minutes before you nullified it makes it extra sour as you will understand.

So to round it up I can only say that this could have been prevented by giving a timeframe warning and you should have waited at least for my own vote before killing me off in my opinion.

Again, no intention for ranting on you, but I hope you understand I am a bit disappointed on how it developed. I had a blast while it lasted and I wish all of you a very good time continuing the game! Good luck!

Ps…Hope you guys are proud in killing off an innocent poor old senior citizen!!!
:D

D...
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Hmm, you have a valid point, again I am sorry to have the game turn against you but this is the nature of these games. If I can, I will play the game again and you can have another shot at it, however with your identity now revealed extending the voting day period is out of the question.

I don't usually play actual deadlines as I'm never sure what time I will be online, but if you feel it gives you more of an idea when you must post by then by all means I can do so. In hindsight I should have also refreshed the game page just before posting my typed up reply to check for any last minute posts, but if I set a deadline this will not matter anyway (as I will be posting after the deadline, by which time any late votes will not be counted anyway).

Basically what happened was, I came on wednesday evening to do the modpost, counted the votes at 2 and 3, wrote up my reply and posted it. Unfortunately this made it a bit unfair on you, because you obviously didn't know at the time of posting I had already counted the votes and worked out who dies. I'm happy to accept constructive critisicm, so I will post with an actual deadline from now on.

You played Piotr very well though, so I hope you at least enjoyed yourself while it lasted, and would like to do so again when possible.
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

Offcourse I understand you cannot write me in again at this time. No personal grudge there, friend.

And indeed a fixed deadline would be best I think. More so since you as GM could have been waiting for hours for replies perhaps, while a player from another part of the world (different time frame) was simply sleeping, only to wake up and have died...lol.

Thanks also for the compliment, I enjoyed myself greatly. I am not new to play by post roleplaying, though had never participated in a VAU, nor any warhammer roleplaying (played alot of ADnD in the old days).

I would very much participate in more of these games or give a go at other roleplaying on the forum....know of anything opening up perhaps?

D...
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Unfortunately the SAU games (or VAU in this case) are only run one at a time, and usually only once every few months. I will replay this one immediately after if the interest is there though.

There is of course the Dark Elf RPG however, though to participate you need to create a character and post it into the creation pool, then await selection by a moderator. This can be a long wait, but as I just emptied the pool of inactive players there are only a handful now waiting. That probably means if a new group opens, almost everyone will be picked.

You can create a character for the Druchii.net RPG here: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=39024

For any help with character creation you can make a thread in this subforum.

Thanks again.
~ Kinslayer
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Man I missed all of this because I was asleep, I only just woke up.
From you pushing the vote Kinslayer to when you killed him off was about 12hrs and I was asleep for probably 9 of them.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

The Day phase lasted for around 48 hours Deroth, voting could have been done at any point in this time.

Perhaps the first Day should have been longer? I did say in the first post how long the phase would last for.

If any issues need to be taken further please PM me about them. I won't interrupt the current game but problems can be discussed for next time.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

I didn't mean it in a harsh way, it was more of an observation thats I didnt even see any of the votes before he was gone.

As for the first day we tend to "waste" alot of time with introductions and speculation before voting starts and then on the following days dont waste much time at all and get straight onto voting, so maybe a longer first day would not be a bad idea in future games.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Of course, no hard feelings. I will take this into consideration for the next game as well then.
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

Is this based on 'Werewolves of Millers' Hollow'? If so sign me up for VAU II - I have enjoyed many a game of this with UCD GameSoc!!!
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Yes, sort of, though it is more correct to say it is based off Mafia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_%28party_game%29

Which Werevolves of Millers Hollow is also based on :)

Also, damn you Vampire, whoever you are! Avenge me! Seriously though, have fun with the game everyone, I will read along and see how things play out :P

EDIT:
Also, I will begin planning for a future game. Might be a SAU, VAU, TAU, or whatever other countless variants we've had, or a new -AU of my very own. Can't promise it'll actually happen, but I've wanted to do one for a long time.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Damn, thought I'd get away with it. Good luck guys!
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Dresden
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dresden »

I was unsure of the exact time difference between you and me when I made my second post (didn't see the GMT, that's what I get for not paying closer attention), I apologize for the lateness. I assume the easiest way to handle it is to simply pretend it was never made. I will post with this course of action in mind
Name: Selkoreth Warpbane, warrior
Group 30
Stats: WS5 S5 T4 D2 I2
Equip: Longsword, Shield, Light Armor
Skills:
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I can delete the post this time around, from now on I will always set the deadline as 6pm GMT in 2 days time, so if you work out what 6pm GMT is in your time-zone you will know what time you must post by.
Dresden
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dresden »

Thank you, won't happen again.
Group 30
Skills:
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Well that went well, nice to live through one for once. I am really not sure what made me suspect Dietrich, go gut feelings.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Dresden
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dresden »

It's unfortunate that unforseen obligations kept me from voting the last day, but 3-0 isn't bad for my first -AU. One thing I am curious about is who the witch hunter was. Now that the game is over, I can't see the harm in sharing that little tidbit.
Group 30
Skills:
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Dresden wrote:It's unfortunate that unforseen obligations kept me from voting the last day, but 3-0 isn't bad for my first -AU. One thing I am curious about is who the witch hunter was. Now that the game is over, I can't see the harm in sharing that little tidbit.

You were just talking to him ^ ;)
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Ta da.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

I knew it, I knew as soon as you voted for me that you were the Witch Hunter. There was no other way you could have suspected me. I even sent my prediction to Kinslayer for confirmation at games end :P

Well played guys, You smashed us even when I dont think we made any mistakes.
Dragonsbreath
Warrior

Post by Dragonsbreath »

Hmm, voting for the witch hunter most of the game, instead of the vampire and his minions. Check.
Oh well, Hooray for being alive.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Deroth wrote:I knew it, I knew as soon as you voted for me that you were the Witch Hunter. There was no other way you could have suspected me. I even sent my prediction to Kinslayer for confirmation at games end :P

Well played guys, You smashed us even when I dont think we made any mistakes.

Believe it or not he did not actually identify you with his Investigate skill though.

In fact, the only people he had time to Investigate were the 2 you killed those very same nights and revealed the identities of anyway :P
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Shenanigans, but I think the only mistake I made was killing darkdoom instead of Dranial. I thought hard about it but I thought we needed some vocal people left in the game to make it fun even if it cost me the game in the end. However I didn't think he would pick on me so quickly.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I honestly thought that Jessica had drawn too much attention to herself, and that Drainial would be inclined to vote for her. I was also suprised with those two being the most vocal and you knowing they were both innocents, that you did not use your puppet skill to turn one of them against the other, and only vote with them if someone else did too to better hide your identity. But still, a great game!