Group 37

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

"Don't worry, dear mage, surely the group will take good care of you." Nathra remarked shortly before leaving the room. 'And that is what troubles me.' Ithilsyn whispered, not caring if anyone heard.

She pulled up the hood of her cape over her head, the elegant garment made of dark grey crinoline, with an indigo lining. With her circlet on her brow, one would be excused for thinking she was off to a ball. Only the backpack on her shoulders and the frown on her face suggested otherwise.

Her observations of the others had been interesting but inconclusive. She suspected there was more to the party members than they had let on, but was sure they would reveal themselves more fully as their journey progressed. For good or ill.

It seemed as if all were making ready to depart. The mage sighed through her nose and took one last look back into the bloodstained room. 'Well, destiny awaits.' she remarked to no-one in particular.

Turning from the room, she gracefully strode out to join the others at the north gate.

Heading to the gate, not in any particular hurry.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Lokil
Warrior

Post by Lokil »

Seeing that everybody was leaving Akish decided he didnt want to spend another second in this place. Taking his bag he walked outside to meet with the others.

Akish will leave with his bag of rations and meet with the others outside and hopefully start their journey to the tower... He will make sure that everybody knows about the two routes they may take and state his opinion to take the risky and shorter route.

OOC: Yeah I kinda forgot to walk outside didnt I.... :)
• Name: Akish Shadowborn
• Male Khainite
• WS4 S3 T3 D4 I4
• Equipment: Dagger, 2 Short Swords, Throwing Dagger x4, Light Armour,
• Skills: Basic Stealth
Arturo
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Arturo »

Mmm, fresh air, finally.. The outside of the keep wasn't much to look at but at least it wasn't indoors and that was all that mattered to him right now. Though it couldn't have been more than a few hours it felt like he hadn't seen the sky in ages. It had been so long ago and yet he couldn't help feeling uneasy whenever he was inside. He knew the memories would end one day taking away the uneasiness with them, but for now he forced himself to think once again - as he had many times before - that not every building was as murderous as the one in that thrice cursed Har Ganeth. So much pain, so much suffering. No animal would have been so cruel, but that hadn't stopped them.

The crunching of boots woke him from his thoughts. He realized his face bore the mask of grief and gazed up to the sky to quickly regain his calm. I really need this to stop he thought to himself while he turned to look who had followed him out of the keep. Nathra? That must mean the others won't stay indoors for too long, since the two of us are already here.

Rafan waits outside for the rest of the group to show up. He'll be ready when the others are.
Rafan Ashpacer
Male Shade Group 37
Stats: Ws 5 S2 T3 D4 I4
Equipment: Crossbow (22/25 bolts), Short sword, Dagger, Shade cloak, Rations
Skills: Precise shot
Solidsam
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Solidsam »

The trek north was fairly uneventful. The path is initially on a roadway as you leave the city. It goes through the heavy woods surrounding northern parts of Ghrond, and other Dark Elves you see give you a respectable berth. Once you cut north, you lose all contact with fellow Dark Elves.

The decision to veer off the path was a good one. The scouts find paths easily through the dense woods and the soft forest earth is easier on your gear than worn roadways. The first night you camp, movement from the brush immediately rouses everyone from their sleep, but the sound fades and thorough inspection doesn't find any tracks.

Near the top of the mountain chain, visibility of the lanscape and distant watchtower changes supernaturally, but the scouts help keep your navigation true. As you make your way down the mountain, you see a couple odd tracks that are several days old. They are either a large, heavy Elf, or a lightly armed human. Weathering and age make it hard to tell. The tracks are perpendicular to your route, so they know nothing of you. Attempts to follow will take you wildly off course, so you push on ahead.

You are now firmly in the Northern Wastes. Trees and vegetation are scarce, wind picks up speed very quickly, and distant landmarks seem to shift if you stare at them too long. Rocky outcroppings are your only source of cover, but you don't see any other entity. Due to the high visibility, you are pretty sure you will see anything before they see you. Days are dusty and the wind carries strange sounds, nights are cold, and games is getting scarce. Pretty soon, nothing you find will be something you want to eat. Although the wastes are always unpleasant to say the least, they seem quieter than usual.

The last day of your march brings you across a different set of tracks. You can tell they are from a Dark Steed, and if you follow them a short length of distance, you see blood spatter and tracks from other horses which you can tell are not Dark Steeds. They are only a couple hours old. You have the option of tracking down the lone rider or arriving at the watchtower this evening. If you follow the tracks, there's no guarantee that you will be able to make it to the watchtower that night.

OOC - It's up to you if you investigate or move forward. Right now it's about 3pm and you guess the watchtower is 40 miles away or less.

OOC - Hunting rolls were very good. Shades you eat well and can share food if you like. Your packs will last you another day and hunts give you additional two days if you share. (Four if you don't.)

OOC - Yes, basic adventuring gear, food is nothing you'd want to eat but all perfectly edible. Some of what they contain is old bread, some dried fruit, barely any jerky, edible roots, tubers, flint, tinder, torches, wooden stakes (for staking out tents, not vampires), and lumpy cloth barely big enough to be a bedroll. Nothing fancy like pots, bellows or tents. Ropes are small and will not hold your weight.Feel free to include miscellaneous small adventuring gear for RP purposes. No snares or hunting gear, but I'm assuming shades have some or can make some pretty quickly from vines or plant fiber.

OOC - You are very sure no one is following you right now. Two shades means you move fast and can strategically break tracks you leave or misdirect pursuit very easily.
Arturo
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Arturo »

It had been a dull journey and Rafan was glad of it. They really didn't need any troubles and they had gotten none. The mountains had let them pass without complications, even the weather had been nothing worse than a few drops here and there. He had even managed to get a few more days of food by hunting, so nothing to complain there either. Sure there had been some rustling in the bushes when they had been in the forest, but it probably hadn't been more than a small creature, curious of their trespassing to it's territory. Then there had been a trail of those odd tracks in the mountains, made by an elf or a human, it had been hard to tell since they were already few days old. Nothing to be worried about really, at least until they entered the wastes.

The wastes didn't seem to welcome them and the horizon seemed to shift every time you looked too closely. Still navigational problems weren't really that bad, with a map and a few good scouts they could find their way just fine. Then the hoof marks appeared. It hadn't been long until they crossed paths with another set of track and those clearly weren't made by dark steeds, like the lone one they had followed a short distance. In evidence to this there were blood splatters on the ground, so clearly someone had been fighting. Yet there is no bodies to be found, so either they didn't finish the fight or someone got captured and dragged away, probably to be questioned. Rafan felt the hunter in him slowly waking up for the hunt that was so clearly offered to it. Well I'd really like to investigate this a bit more, but I can't do it if the others don't want delays. With that in mind Rafan decided to open his mind to the others.

"So, it looks like our lonely rider got into a little fight with someone, marauders I'd guess. From the lack of corpses and the freshness of the tracks I'd imagine he also got captured and might have a few nasty wounds too. It might also be that the rider fled with his faster horse, which would mean he probably can evade capture, but I think we should at least see if the tracks go to the same direction for long or not. If he was able to flee the tracks should depart quite quickly, since the others clearly have slower horses and they would - most likely - drop the pursuit. Now if it is as I fear and this rider was sent to keep track of our movement, he might also know of our mission and if he was captured, then a band of marauders will soon know of our intentions, and we all know that will be trouble later on. Therefore I suggest we follow the tracks and make sure the rider got away or that he won't reveal our mission to anyone." He let his words sink in for a moment before he turned to study the tracks and continued: "Of course if you want to continue to the watchtower we could be there this evening, but this little de-tour would probably take only a day more or so, and since we saved that much by crossing the mountains I really don't see a difference."

Rafan studies which way the lonely rider and the other riders left from the scene and tries to speak the others into following the tracks
Rafan Ashpacer
Male Shade Group 37
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

The journey across the mountains had been miserable. Each night she found broken sleep, unable to get comfortable on the forest floor. Rocks, tree roots, or rain always managed to disturb her rest. And then there was that rustling on the first night. Animals, apparently. Well let them come closer, she would turn them inside-out. Her robes were filthy, her patience thin, and the rations in her backpack were not even fit for a slave. Still, after two days, hunger commanded she eat. "Curse you, Leunel Arvaya." She thought to herself, as she, unable to sleep again, played with the disembodied eye.

Some days later, the group had traversed the mountains. Finally, after an arduous descent, the party was in the wastes of the north. The sky swirled and shimmered, and strange sights crossed the sorceress's vision. She was not certain whether the others shared her perspective. Besides, they seemed engrossed in some tracks, and a spattering of fresh blood.

She sat down on a rock and rested a while, taking a sip of soured wine from a small flask included in the rations. Rafan gave his opinion and suggested the tracks be investigated further. He had been useful so far in the mountains, an adequate hunter too. But Ithilsyn was not convinced yet that following was a good idea. 'And if it was those marauding northmen, what is to say we won't be walking to our doom? We are a long way from the protection of His Dread Majesty's host. There could well be more of them than us. Besides, if I have to spend another night camped beneath the stars, I think I shall be sick.' she snarled, her mood sour.

Chatting away, in a bad mood. Wants to go to the tower and ignore the tracks.
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations

Mod, Group 38
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Nathra had kept herself busy for the last few days on their journey north to the tower. It was convenient to hunt in the wilderness while they were still in Druchii territory and extra food had quickly been gathered by the shade. At night she hunted, by day she was on scout duty ranging ahead of the group to report any dangers that they might run into. For the most part everything had been calm and easy, perhaps too easy. She slept fitfully for a couple of hours at a time when her other duties did not demand her attention, rolled up into the fetal position and wrapped up snug in her harpy cloak.

Once in the chaos wastes, however, Nathra chose not to hunt as any game hereabouts would likely have the taint of chaos, and that could prove poisonous. The weather grew sour and the wind became stronger, there was little vegetation or scenery to slow the winds progress and so it howled with apparent glee. The last days trek through rocky territory proved the most uneventful since leaving the tower of Ghrond, that was until the group discovered a set of tracks and blood splatters - evidence of a skirmish of some kind.

Dark steed and other horses tracks. But whose blood has been spilt? A few theories began swirling around in Nathra's mind, it was Rafan who gave voice to those thoughts. The shade listened as she tried to decide which course of action would be the better. Her own curiosity compelled her to agree with the male shade. But Nathra was in a quandary, one look at the haggard and soured mage told her a direct route to the tower might be the better course. She looked beautiful and radiant just a few days ago, now she wouldn't look out of place at a ghoul party. The journey thus far had done little to diminish Nathra's spirit, or her looks.

"I am inclined to agree, Rafan. Seems that rider was looking for us, why else might he be out here? Which would indeed mean he has either information for us, or he is aware of our plans, and I am curious to discover if your theory is correct. We do have a compass to lead us to this artifact, and it would be wise to not risk stumbling into an ambush."

"However, the Sorceress insinuated that we may not be the only ones looking for this artifact, which would suggest we find it with all possible haste." Nathra looked at the mage as she sat with a sour expression and offered her a sympathetic smile. "I would rather satisfy my curiosity. There were likely be trouble no matter what we decide, better to be prepared."

Nathra would rather follow the tracks to satisfy her curiosity.
She will go along to the tower if the group wishes to.
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Lokil
Warrior

Post by Lokil »

Akish was glad to be out and had his mind on the mission. He often pulled out the map and looked to see which way to go but the shades seemed to know where to go all by themselves, so eventually he tucked it away into his bag. They marched all day and only stopped when the moon started to show. Conversation was a rare thing eventhough the ladies meant to take over that part, but that only showed that Akish had to help a little with that too.

As they left the road and headed for the shorter way through the mountains he felt uncertain about this decision but soon realised that his worries were silly, they had two shades after all.

They hunted often but seemed to keep their catches to themselves, which made Akish realise that he had to learn a little bit about hunting if he wanted some fresh meat and it seemed like Rafan wouldnt mind a little company while hunting but Akish didnt want to leave the sorceress with One Eye alone at the camp.

The journey went by without anything noteworthy except the footprints that noone wanted to follow and the rustleling in the bushes the first night, which made Akish jump and almost draw his sword. During the whole journey he kept One Eye in his sight, trying to get a clue about his past.

Akish was still very interested in learning more about the old khainite who joined the group late. Akish could sense that his knowledge of Kaela Mensha Khaine was complex and throughout. So Akish tried to make conversation a couple times when they were sitting at the campfire. One Eyes evasiveness discouraged chatting and made it clear that he wasnt ready to let Akish know much about him and especially his past.

Eventually they reached the Chaos wastes and Akish was amazed at the raw power he could sense and the game the wastes played on their vision. Taking a look at the map he noted that they had to have saved about a day of their journey, just as he had planned.

Soon after entering the wastes they found some tracks that indicated a Darksteed which lead to other horses tracks and spatters of blood.
It seemed like they sumtbled upon some sort of fight scene. It hasnt been long since this happened, even Akish could see that. The tracks lead deeper into the wastes so it seemed and away from the tower. Rafan wanted to track the rider down, something about information he said. The Sorceress wanted to head for the tower. But he sensed that the Sorceress was just sick of being in the wilderness. Akish had his own idea about this rider. Again it smelled of treachery, he knew this kind of play. Selling information about upcoming events and missions to the enemy... it always was a lucrative buisiness. His own family sold secrets to the Dark Elves trying to regain there right to enter Naggaroth. Whatever happened here, Akish was sure that following the tracks was a good idea especially since they are a day early. Even if they stumble on a camp of marauders it wouldnt be that hard to avoid their scouts and spy on what they are up to. More information that will surely come in handy once at the tower. One thing however stopped him from voicing his opinion right away. If they did get caught up with these marauders and had to make a swift retreat they would be in a dire situation.
The marauders definately had some horses while the Druchii were on their feet. Outrunning horses, even these shaggy and slow ones, didnt seem like a good idea to him.

I´m not sure it is worth the risk to follow the tracks. But we cant just ignore them, he surely had information. I believe it is better to deal with a foe when he is still weak... However if the Elf is already dead there is be no need to follow the tracks. He turns to Ithilsyn isnt there some sorcery you can use to see if the elf´s life ended here?

Akish wants to avoid to fight the Marauders for the artifact, if they can find out if the Elf was killed here he will want to head for the tower. If he is still alive he wants to follow the tracks and either rescue him or kill him depending on if he is a traitor to the Druchii or not
• Male Khainite
• WS4 S3 T3 D4 I4
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

The journey north had been uneventful and rough, but Valeth had loved every step because the further into the wastes he got the further away from the machinations of the temple he got. Food may not have been gourmet but it wasn't scarce, and the soft ground was easy enough to sleep on, all in all a good trip. However Valeth was still weary of his companions, especially the khainite boy, Akish, and so he had kept his cloak on and hood up during the trip, after all even if his companions weren't spies if wasn't beyond belief that other parties had thier people in the mountains.

Valeth's good mood during the trek over the mountains was ruined as the rough terrain terrain gave way to the disturbing, shifting panoramics of the chaos wastes. However the trackers were not interested in the unnatural terrain, but instead were pawing over some tracks in the dirty, children playing in the mud when supposedly important work is to be done.

"Bah! It's as likely that this rider is just a messenger from one of the towers as anything to do with us, and that blood on the ground is as likely to belong to marauders as the rider, and its as likely that the blood was spilt by marauders fighting among themselves as catching a dark rider. The wastes are a violent place and we'd be better off not gambling our lives on such slim observations."

offering alternate explanations for the tracks and advising we go to the tower rather than take unnecessary risks.

EDIT: OOC: it's taken me a day to notice, but apparently Mr Lokil ninja'd me. Most of my post still fits though, so I wont bother re-writing the whole thing if thats okay.
Opus vos liberaverit
Solidsam
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Solidsam »

The blood is fresh, and spaced far enough apart that you can tell it wasn’t a mortal wound. As you follow the tracks, you come to a small oasis of gnarled trees, a couple hundred feet in diameter.
You cautiously follow the tracks, and pass the corpse of a Dark Steed. It was looted and messily stripped of meat. Going farther, you come to a small clearing.

In the center of the clearing, you see the Dark Rider sitting with his back to a large stump. He holds a simple sword across his lap with his right hand. His left hand hangs loosely, and although you see crusted blood all along his arm,fresh drops still drip from his fingers. Two arrows stick out of his side, and he is breathing rapidly.

If anyone was about to stroll in, they are stopped by Nathra signaling to stop.
Nathra’s movement seems to bring the Dark Riders attention, and he grimaces as he subtly shifts position to face the group.

He begins mouthing words without speaking.

“The wastelands can be as brutal as Nagarroth, not in the treachery or webs of deceit, but perhaps in the simple ruthlessness of the environment.”

He pauses, and looks to his left.

“You nearly walked into an ambush. I’m surprised the sentries didn’t see you yet. The Tower is under attack. Scouts were first to go. I can give you information against them.”

He looks to his left again, licking his lips.

“Help me, and I will repay you in kind, as much as I can.”

He lifts up two fingers from the sword hilt.

“Two Sentries posted, a dozen riders hidden and waiting behind them, maybe more to my left.”

OOC - Nathra scored highest on the awareness check, so you can choose to RP that however you like.
OOC - Ithilsyn doesn’t detect any magic.
OOC - The forest is thick enough to stop a charge, but not to make Cavalry dismount. You have about three hours of daylight left.
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

'Fine. We'll follow these tracks.' Ithilsyn proclaimed as the votes were cast. 'But there had best be a bath waiting for me at the tower!' she snapped, tousling the knots out of her long black hair before weaving a loose plait in it and fastening it with a cord. "I knew I should have bought a slave." she frowned as she stood up, and placed her rucksack back on her shoulders.

The party gathered itself and followed the trail. Soon enough they came to the mutilated corpse of a horse. "At least someone fed well." Ithilsyn thought to herself as she noted the animal had been hastily butchered. Onwards they went until they found themselves in a clearing. An elf was slumped against a tree stump, badly wounded, but not mortally so, she thought. "So this is the rider?" She was about to step forwards, but then halted as Nathra signalled for them to wait. The rider noted the group and spoke to them of brutality and the tower's attack. Apparantly enemies were nearby.

She observed the stricken druchii, noting the arrows in his side, and spoke in hushed tones to the party. 'Who or what is besieging the tower. Who waits for us in ambush?' Although she could sense no magic, she doubted whether this fellow could be trusted. Was he bartering his life for them?

Ithilsyn is not convinced he means to help them. Waits to see what the group decides and won't rush into an attack. If ambush strikes, she will try to defend herself by swinging her staff.

OOC: Edited to match her magic ability.
Last edited by Nightcall on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mod, Group 38
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

"Fine. We'll follow these tracks. But there had best be a bath waiting for me at the tower!" The mage proclaimed, obviously annoyed by the decision of the group. Nathra was thankful that the group wished to accede to her wishes - some more than others. A bath doesn't seem likely in the near future, not out here in the wastes, but a bath right now would be lovely indeed.

"Next time we camp, Ithilsyn, you can have my bedroll since I have no need of it, and it seems that you do." Nathra smiled again at the mage, an attempt to quell some measure of discomfort within her. Each of us needs to be alert and focused, and you seem to be neither of those. Break one link in this chain and all of us may suffer. "Also, everyone, I have spare meat and provisions in my pack, if someone else would volunteer to cook I will gladly share with you all."

The shade surmised it best not to let everyone know she prefered to eat her meat raw, especially the mage since she was a city-dweller, and you can never accurately predict what a Khainite might think, so long as the cut was precise and it was treated with relevant herbs, it could be tasty indeed.

After a time the group came upon the butchered corpse of a dark steed, most likely the one that had left the tracks. Further up the trail the group approached a small clearing and Nathra could hear heavy breathing emanating from within. She crouched and cautiously approached, something was difinately amiss, though Nathra couldn't quite determine what. Nathra quickly held up her hand, signalling for the others to stop.

The elf spoke hoarsely to them, the words barely escaping his lips, Nathra crouched at the edge of the clearing and listened. When the injured elf looked to his left Nathra followed his gaze, her emerald eyes narrowing as she scanned the area. Her first impression indicated nothing was amiss, but appearances could indeed be deceiving. It was difficult to judge if his words were true or not.

Two sentries and a dozen riders wait in ambush. This could be... interesting. "Who or what is besieging the tower. Who waits for us in ambush?" Ithilsyn asked hastily.

"Answer her questions," Nathra spoke to the injured Dark Rider before whispering to the others of the group. "Can anyone of you treat his wounds? There is water in my pack if you need some."

Nathra will stay at the edge of the clearing to keep an eye out for the ambush.
She would like to treat the wounds of the rider to try and gather as much information from him as possible.
If it is safe to approach the rider she will offer him some water to drink.
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Valeth accepted the decision to follow the tracks with silence, though he made sure to note the abandon with which most his fellows threw themselves at highly likely serious and life-threatening danger, such is the folly of youth I suppose. The resident bush-wizard however didn't seem to be too happy about going to rescue the rider-in-distress, or more accurately not heading toward rest and a warm bed, the shade girl attempted to placate her but she still set off with a face like thunder.

As the group marched Valeth kept an eye on the tracks they were following, they may have had two shades tracking ahead but he would not be led blindly without having some evidence of where he was going. Before long though it became abundantly clear that they were on the right path by the fresh and stripped corpse of a horse, which from looks of what was left, probably used to be a dark steed and not far ahead a copse of trees. Heading under the loose canopy a wounded druchii came into view, Valeth slowed down cautiously, if the chaos heathen's quarry is still alive then it would be most probable that they are still around somewhere, and his suspicions were confirmed a moment later by Nathra's silent warning.

The elf managed to whisper that they had walked into an ambush and there were over a dozen heretics waiting for them in the woods and that outside thier destination was besieged by more. Ithilsyn asked for more details on the attackers and Nathra agreed, Valeth wasn't so sure about the sense in this and whispered, "perhaps it would be best to to make sure that noone will turn up unannounced before we start questioning the poor man. Also I doubt that, unless he is incredibly stoic, any medical attentions give to him would be far from silent, which would not be exceptionally good for our healths seeing as we are surrounded by chaos scum. Mebey we should try to hunt the hunters before the trap is sprung."

advising against protracted dialogue in hostile territory and loosening the punch dagger strapped inside his sleeve.
Opus vos liberaverit
Arturo
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Arturo »

So in the end they decided to follow the tracks, much to Rafan's delight. Ithilsyn had made clear she disliked the idea, but Nathra was kind enough to offer her bedroll to the sorceress. That should at least make her mood slightly better, if not great, he thought while Nathra offered her extra meat to the group and Rafan decides to do the same. In the end it's not good for his survival if the others starve. "Whoever cooks might as well cook the meat I managed to hunt, so we can share that too." With that said he started to follow the tracks.

After a while the stench of the dead dark steed filled his nostrils. The carcass had been hastily cleared of meat and Rafan didn't think it was worth the effort to try and scrape the rest off the bones. This doesn't necessarily confirm the rider was caught, but it strongly suggests it. Why else clear the horse so hastily? He didn't speak his thoughts aloud though as he was too eager to continue following the tracks.

Eventually they reached a clearing in the woods and it was Nathra who gave the signal to stop. The wounded druchii leaning to a large stump and arrows pointing from his side. He was still alive though and warned them of the ambush they were walking into. Nathra and Ithilsyn wanted to question the dark rider more, but One-eye spoke what Rafan had thought to himself: hunt the hunter.

"I'm with One-eye on this. If we can take out the sentries without raising an alarm we might be able to surprise the riders and cause enough havoc among them so we have a fighting chance." Having laid out the basics of his plan, his voice no more than a whisper, he turns to Ithhilsyn. "Can you use your magic to frighten the marauders? It would make a good addition to our little ambush on those riders, if we get that far." Knowing full well his is far from the perfect plan Rafan points his next words to the whole group: "I know it's far from a perfect plan, but if we don't act soon we might not have the element of surprise at our side and it's quite possible we won't stand a chance without it, so let's try and stay out of sight a bit more while we discuss what to do, alright."

Having said his thoughts on the situation Rafan will try and blend into the shadows of the forest a bit more. He'll listen to what the others have to say while searching the forest with his gaze for the sentries.
Rafan Ashpacer
Male Shade Group 37
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

As suggestions were proposed, Ithilsyn recalled some of the things that had happened that day prior to their arrival to the glade.

Nathra had offered to let Ithilsyn use her bedroll when next they had to spend the night under the stars. Of that she was grateful, and the kindness was met with suspicion and a warm smile. 'You have my gratitude. I am much more able to focus myself when well rested. Tired, I am prone to do silly things... and we wouldn't want that to happen. I might blow us all up!' she chuckled.

The shades had managed to hunt, and the fresh meat was welcomed. Although tasting of wood smoke and unseasoned, it had made a fine change to the disgusting rations in her backpack. At least one could eat this without gagging on a stray hair or mysterious piece of grit. Still, she did not want to give the impression that she was warming to the rural folk, and so did her utmost to maintain her severity.

She was snapped back to the current predicament by Valeth and Rafan suggesting they go on the offensive. 'Perhaps that will be advisable. I would not be surprised if our injured "friend" here has already given our arrival away with his speech and gesturing.' She had thought if his attackers were so close, they would have heard the entire conversation already.

'Rafan, I can try to conjure something up. Yet don't expect a horde of skeletons... I am conserving my power for when it is most needed.' she bluffed, gripping her iron staff with both hands.

Is up to go on the offensive. If this is the consensus of the group, Ithilsyn will try to spook the enemies by casting an illusion of the sound of an approaching army to flush them out of hiding. No visual or physical effects.

OOC: Hope this is okay!

Mod, Group 38
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Do silly things and blow us all up? You don't seem the type to do silly things, but I won't question that last statement. Nathra had thought at the time, then moved herself cautiously and carefully away from Ithilsyn.

Back in the present Nathra had to concede that the others of the group made a good point. It simply seemed blind luck that they had even made it to the wounded dark rider without being seen, and all this talk wasn't helping either, especially when there was an ambush waiting for them.

"You guys make a good point," why didn't I think of this earlier? "If me and Rafan can take out the sentries, perhaps then we can spring an ambush of our own." As much as she liked Ithilsyn, the heiress was disinclined to put her faith in the mage's rather dubious magical talents - at least until Ithilsyn showed that she had any. "Ithilsyn could give us the distraction we need to allow us to get into position. Our two Khainites could lead the assault on these riders. We should move quickly while we still have the advantage."

As she spoke Nathra fetched her water bottle from her pack and threw it to the dark rider once she had finished talking to the group. "You'll have to take care of yourself, at least for a little longer." Nathra scanned the area to her right, where the rider had said the ambushers lay in wait."Let's do this, shall we?"

Me and Rafan can quickly take out the sentries. Can Rafan do it quietly? Can I? Ithilsyn can distract the riders with her magic, while the two Khainites get into position to lead the assault. Sounds workable to me.

Nathra has suggested a plan. What do the others of the group think?
Lokil
Warrior

Post by Lokil »

Akish was surprised to see the Druchii still alive. "He had to have fought them off all by himself" Akish was impressed but that wouldnt show on his outward espression. Listening to the plans the others have made he pulled out a sword quietly and readied his dagger so it would be available quickly. Nodding to Nathra to let her know he will follow the plan and lead the assault as soon as the sentries are down he turned to One Eye and gestured to him to get ready and watch his back as they charge. "I really hope that sorceress is good for something" he thought. Drawing the rune of khaine in the air he got in position without making a sound and smiling wickedly at the bloodshed that awaited. "LETS DO THIS" his bodylanguage seemed to say.

Akish is ready to charge and strike down any foe for khaine. Usually he likes to be a blade on the unknowing throat but if he cant pick his battles he will make the best of it. If his Blade gets stuck in a body or tree etc. he will pull out another sword or dagger depending on how close the next enemy is. Aiming at the throat and heat of the marauders to try to make quick work of them

OOC: I think Akish should be able to sneak up and take out a sentry too but maybe thats just wishful thinking so you shades should go ahead and do that :) Dont let me run in there alone though...
• Male Khainite
• WS4 S3 T3 D4 I4
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Valeth smiled in the shadows of his hood as the others took his advice and began to plan an attack on thier unseen enemies perhaps they are not the fools the appear to be, there is hope yet. The shade girl outlined a rough plan of action whereby the shades would remove any sentries while he and the boy led the attack on the heathens and Valeth could find nothing wrong with it, besides having to rely on the boy. With a small nod to the group to let them know he agreed and was ready he moved toward the direction indicated by the rider and crouched ready to spring.

Valeth will charge as soon as he gets a signal, or when Ithil starts tossing spells. He will open up using khaine to knock heads and vault about... like a tall, hairy and decidedly paler yoda. If he is separated from khaine at any point he will slip his punch dagger out of his sleeve and stab for throats, temples, stomachs, and other such vital organs.
Opus vos liberaverit
Arturo
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Arturo »

The plan was hasty and nothing fancy, but Rafan felt confident about it. They hadn't been noticed yet, so they might still surprise the marauders and that was far better than walking straight into an ambush. If we act fast we might just make it, he thought to himself.

"First we have to find those sentries, Nathra, but luckily we have at least some idea where to look from. When it comes down to it I prefer to kill silently from a range rather than slit a throat, but if that is your way, then we'll figure something out when we find our prey. Shouldn't be too hard though since they most likely have their eyes on that clearing."

Rafan silently loaded his crossbow to signal the others he was ready for the hunt.

Rafan is ready to move. He'll move cautiously, trying to avoid making a sound, while searching the forest for the two sentries. If he finds them he will take careful aim but holding his fire until Nathra is in position to kill the other, intending to silence his mark with a shot through the neck.
Rafan Ashpacer
Male Shade Group 37
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

"You have a far longer reach than I, if you get the chance to take out both sentries then don't waste it." Nathra looked round at the rest of the group, they all seemed to be ready. "I promise not to be too disappointed." She added with a sly grin.

Falling corpses are noisy. Hope our resident mage is good for this distraction. The beautiful shade unfurled her harpy cloak and prepared her mind for the task ahead of her.

Nathra will stealth her way quickly and carefully through the scenery and keep an eye out for the sentries. She will signal Rafan and the others when she spots them, then get into position to kill one - the closest one.
Solidsam
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Solidsam »

The Dark Rider grimaces as he answers Ithilsyn’s questions.

“Mauraders must be the main force. Not sure if they have heavy cavalry or other forces. All I’ve seen are Marauders.”

He grits his teeth and sets his jaw, apparently not able to continue speaking.

You hear a slight rustling in the woods. It is not safe to treat him or give him water from his current location. Whoever wounded him this badly may of been watching to see if help would arrive.

As Valeth loosens his daggar and Akish prepares with his rune, as Nathra and Rafan sneak into the woods. Nathra and Rafan come across sentires being brazen enough to occasionally throw dice and bones, gambling silently. Every once in a while they’d ensure the Dark Rider was were they last saw him and scan the landscape for anything new.

Rafan and Nathra are both able to close the distance, although Nathra has to work to get close enough for her shurikens.

The two shades make eye contact with each other, then simultaneously attack. Rafan’s arrow hits the Marauder sentry high in the neck and the Marauder falls limply, it’s spinal cord severed. Nathra’s shuriken buries itself in the second Marauders neck, and he reflexively grips his throat as he falls to the floor. Both kills are confirmed, and Nathra was able to retrieve her shuriken.

Nathra and Rafan move on, searching for other sentries, and come upon a second group of two Marauders. Again, Nathra needs to move ahead of Rafan, but she completes the task easily. The shades move forward and attempt the same tactic. Rafan hits the first Marauder in the neck, and he keels over, writhing on the floor. Nathra hits the second Marauder off center, and he roars, spewing frothy blood. Rafan uses his second bolt to shoot him in the eye. The Marauder drops.

About a hundred feet away, you hear the deep voices of the Marauder Horsemen mustering themselves.

Ithilsyn hears the Marauder’s battle-roar, and unleashes her spell. In the distance you hear the sounds of the Druchii Battle host, complete with roaring Cold Ones and Shrieking Harpies. The illusion is so good you can nearly feel the ground shake.

If anything was a signal to charge, this must of been it. Valeth and Akish both run headlong towards the Marauder Horsemen, sprinting past where Nathra pulls her shuriken from the dead Marauder.

The Marauder Horsemen were frantically trying to ascertain where the Dark Elf army was, so Akish and and Valeth are both able to use the element of surprise to get easy kills. Akish arrives first, and is able to leap on the back of a horse to stab a Marauder’s throat from behind. Akish rips the sword free, and falls to the floor as the Horse whines and turns in a circle. Akish rolls away from the whining horse, and Akish’s stealth allows him to make it to a second Marauder before being spotted. The second Marauder’s eyes widen in surprise as a blur of motion turns out to be a Dark Elf. Akish stabs towards the Marauder’s heart, and the Marauder’s parry was too slow. The dying Marauder leads his horse left, and Akish stays beside it, trying to remain out of sight.

Valeth arrives right behind Akish, and swings his cane to knock a Marauder off a horse, then splits the Marauder’s skull with his cane. The falling Marauder Valeth killed draws the attention of another Marauder, and he roars and points, trying to call attention to the old Dark Elf as the rest of the Marauders finish forming up per the Marauder Chief's orders.

OOC - Ithilsyn you got a perfect cast 8)
OOC - There are fifteen(now twelve marauders), one of which is yelling out orders from somewhere up front. Valeth and Akish are at the rear of them, right now, due to the noise and confusion, only one Marauder sees Valeth.
Arturo
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Arturo »

No way I'm able to take out two sentries with a crossbow and not set the alarm, but it's nice to know someone has faith in my abilities Rafan thought and gave Nathra a slight nod of approval. "Unlikely, but I'll keep my eyes open."

Moving silently from shadow to shadow made Rafan feel an all too familiar tingle down his spine. It was the thrill of the hunt he had felt so many times before in the hills and forest of his past life. A rustling bush, a breaking twig, every sound even slightly out of place made his body tense with anticipation. It had been so long. Work in the cities had rarely taken him this far into the wild, and even then all he had used his crossbow for was hunting. He tightened his grip on his weapon, today it would - at long last - have a chance to take lives.

With two sets of eyes scrying the woods it wasn't long before they found what they were looking for - two marauders, apparently playing some sort of a game, occasionally throwing glances at the wounded rider. Well that explains why we weren't spotted, but I'm not the one to complain. The marauders didn't notice them creeping up on them and Rafan had plenty of time to fix his aim several times. He traded quick glances with Nathra and pulled the trigger the moment Nathra threw her shuriken and the two marauders fell to the ground. He didn't bother recovering his bolt, it had penetrated far and was probably bent anyway, so he just reloaded and kept watch, while Nathra recovered her shuriken.

They continued silently to search the forest in case there were other sentries posted near the clearing and were again able to close in on another pair undetected. Using the same tactic Rafan took out his target with a well placed bolt, but Nathra's victim didn't go down silently, instead bellowing in rage and pain as the shuriken bit deep into the flesh. Rafan hastily reloaded his crossbow and sent a bolt flying towards the marauder and thanked his luck when the bolt entered the marauders brain through the eye, ending the alarming cry instantly, but the damage had already been done, the riders had been alarmed and they could already hear them mustering forces some hundred feet away.

So much for the ambush but at least they have no idea who is attacking them. Rafan's pondering was cut short by the roaring of cold ones, screeching of harpies and he clearly heard the marching feet of a druchii host. There were no armies nearby so that has to be Ith, but it does sound realistic, heck I couldn't tell the difference if it was, he thought awed by the illusion. Apparently sorceresses aren't so bad after all.

Seeing Akish and One-eye run towards the mustering horsemen shook Rafan back to reality. No army was coming to their rescue, they were still heavily outnumbered, so they would have to even the odds while the enemy was still confused. He reloaded and ran off after the khainites. When he arrived at the scene three of the riders were already dead, and all but one had formed around their chieftain blocking off any real chance of Rafan getting a good shot at the leader. Cursing his luck he instead focused on the rider who had his eyes on the One-eye and took careful aim.

Rafan runs after the khainites and targets the marauder who sees Valeth, aiming for the torso. His goal is to make sure the rider doesn't alert the others to their presence. If the rider is already taken care of Rafan will target one of the other marauders to draw attention away from Akish and Valeth.

EDIT: edited post so Rafan has something in mind if the marauder has already been taken care of when he arrives at the scene.
Last edited by Arturo on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rafan Ashpacer
Male Shade Group 37
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

The Dark Rider spoke, but only briefly. 'Marauders, hmm?' Ithilsyn whispered. 'Brave in numbers, but remove them from their pack and they are as fearful as any slave.' she remarked mockingly. She had seen northmen many times before. The city of Ghrond was frequently harried by these raiders, often in smaller groups on horseback, but at times more seriously with a more organised host. The Druchii forces had always prevailed though. She just wondered how serious the current attack was that the sorceress Leunel Arvaya had spoken of.

The two shades crept forwards and quickly disappeared in the thickets surrounding the glade. Silence was not broken, not a footfall or cracking twig was heard. But then a death yell resounded. 'Darkness take them!' she hissed in annoyance, gripping her staff and narrowing her eyes. Unless something was done quickly, the whole force of marauders would be upon them.

Ithilsyn stepped forwards, and raising her left hand, focussed her powers. A metallic taste hung in the air near the mage as a breeze seemed to radiate from her, lifting wisps of her hair and billowing her robes. She uttered a series of hard edged words, and slammed her staff downwards into the ground. Lowering her head as the breeze died down, she took a moment to catch her breath, smiling softly to herself as roars, shrieks, and marching feet could be heard.

Throwing a quick glance to the Dark Rider, slumped against the tree stump, she gazed ahead so see flashes of her party through the trees. 'I suppose I had best go help them out.' she thought as she strode purposefully forwards to join the fight.

Ithilsyn has cast her spell and walks forward slowly into the fight. If marauders attack her she will try to weaken them with her magic (consume strength, cause terror) and then defend herself by hitting them with her iron staff.

OOC: Woohoo, go Ith! :D

Mod, Group 38
Lokil
Warrior

Post by Lokil »

As Akish sprinted towads the location where they assumed the small Marauder force he could almost smell the blood he was going to spill so very soon. Seeing the first Marauder on his horse Akish jumped with a smile on his lips and made short work of the Horseman cutting his throat. His body was dead before his mind knew what happened. Letting himself fall and roll towards the next Marauder he stabbed for the heart and he too realized to late what happened, any defense came to late and Akish`s stab landed dead on in the heart of the Marauder. While the Horseman fell of his Horse Akish grabbed the reigns of the Horse and moved it between himself and the rest of the Marauder force to hide himself from unwanted eyes, at least for a while. Looking back he couldnt see any of the Shades nor the Mage and he knew they had to slay these Marauders quickly if they wanted to survive this battle.

Just as he was going to rejoice in the stealthy bloodshed he produced he heard a surprised roar and saw that one of the Horsemen had spotted Valeth, it seemed like he didnt see Akish yet. "Way to give us away Old one" he thought. Akish takes good aim as he pulls out a throwing dagger to shut the Marauder up.

Akish will throw his (throwing) Dagger and charge the next Maruader who either sees them and/or is closest. He will continue to kill quickly to avoid noises. He will avoid to get into the middle of the force at all costs until the others arrive
• Male Khainite
• WS4 S3 T3 D4 I4
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

As he waited tensely for the shades to do thier silent business Valeth eyed the undergrowth ahead from under his hood, hoping to pick out any details of the foes ahead, it's been too long, Khaine and khaine know it's been too long, I owe the lord of murder lakes of blood for services unfinished. A cry went out from deeper into the woods and it was all Valeth needed to push him into action. He reached the clearing and, seeing the heretics already mounted up, switched khaine around and trust it hard into one of the filthy human's gut like a jousting pole, lifting it from it's saddle. As the chaos scum hit the ground Valeth brought khaine down through it's face.

Just when Valeth was beginning to get the bloody rhythm back into his old bones he was spotted by one of the animals, which roared at him in it's uncivilised speak. Valeth snarled back before taking two quick steps and launched hisself at the scum, turning hisself into a living arrow tipped with his dagger.

Valeth will use khaine to as a pole to vault hisself at the marauder who spotted him while unstrapping his punch dagger and aim at the marauders throat or face. When he hits the ground he will attempt to roll away into the undergrowth.

OOC: Again, sorry for the long gap between posts.
Opus vos liberaverit