The Town of Vikarh (Open RP) - Closed

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

No, I'm sorry for the quietness ... I will try to make a post this weekend! I think it may be just you and me though :(
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Warlord arskittar
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Warlord arskittar »

OOC: Anyone still here?
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

[I'm still here and hoping to make a post this weekend.]
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

OOC
Warlord Arskittar wrote:OOC: Anyone still here?
Nightcall wrote:Mod post
((OOC - Seems the confrontation in the auction house reached a stalemate, so I have summed things up to allow you to move forwards.))
That's your chance! Move forwards.

There was a confrontation in the auction house.
You could write something about how that night concluded (now we are the next day). The only requirement is the salemate.
Just don't forget that the gaze of the cockatriceis deadly. Keep its eyes binded.
Especially if you intend to bring it to the Smith and have its spurs steeled.

Also, it is not natural to find a priest of Khaine. You could expand a little bit about that, in order to avoid unecessary future confrontations with brides of Khaine.
Last edited by Calisson on Mon May 21, 2012 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Name : Khelandria Skulltaker
Profession : Bride of Khaine

"How could I work if I have to stop all the time for futile talks?" At this the Bride of Khaine bared her teeth in an involuntary hostile reaction; she was not accustomed to be spoken to in such a manner. Still, for some reason it had never happened twice. so she listened to the rest of the smith's technobabble. Khelandria was not a girl skilled in the ways of the forge, tried as she was in the crucible of battle, so much of it went over her head, but she did know her skulls. Idly, she picked up one as he spoke, the scarred skull, turning it over and over and studying the design.

It was apparent that despite his tendency to want to elaborate everything, Cab'um had made a beautiful job of the decoration. If he could match the work to the intricacy of the design, Khaine would be pleased, and when her beloved Lord of Murder was happy, Khelandria was too. She perked up her ears when the smith started to discuss the mechanisms for the very selective delivery of poisons. Now there was a truly Khainite vessel. A skull that could dispense poison at the will of the Bride. She beamed her approval of the idea at Cab'um, though the effect was less sunny than some with her carefully (or prettily, depending on one's perspective) filed teeth.

"Those mechanisms sound fascinating," she enthused, "as stealthy as an assassin and a way of showing the Lord of Murder's favour that is both elegant and fiendish. I shall adore it, and I feel that my Beloved will too."

"As for the hand, well, there are ways to preserve it, but it all depends what you want it for.

If it is for magic, you will have to ensure that it is the right kind of hand, so far as I know it - I'm not a Sorceress, of course, but I know a little of such things by education.

If you want it preserved, then smoking the flesh will do that, although it will darken and shrivel.

If you want it to retain the appearance of life, there is no way to do that with the soft tissues intact short of some kind of wet preservative, such as strong alcohol, which would tend to make it ... "
she looked around, at the sparking forge, the silver in its dish - did he just order it back into its bowl like a naughty pet? - "flammable."

Somehow, Khelandria was forming the impression that Cab'um was no stranger to flammable.

"So to retain a lifelike appearance you need to carefully skin the hand, remove the bones and ligaments, scrape away any of the fatty subcutaneous layer from the skin, and thoroughly deflesh the bones themselves. Set them aside while you tan the skin; I'm afraid it will darken a little, but you can minimise that with a careful choice of solution. Then re-articulate the bones with fine wire, and wrap them in wool until they fit into the skin with the correct fullness of life - it's tricky to get the skin back over the wrapped form, but it can be done. I could lend you a defleshing knife, but unfortunately I only have my own personal set."

With this knowledge imparted, Khelandria took a look around the crazy organisation of the forge and nodded to herself. Death Night was approaching, she could feel the crackle in the air, but his list of ingredients would have to wait. Also, as a good Naggaroth girl there was no way she was trusting him with some kind of game involving poison.

"I shall leave you to your work without interruptions,"she paused, with a very slight stress on the word, "and return tomorrow evening to see how much progress you have made. Khaine be with you." And with this, she left, stepping out into the grey Vikarh streets, heady with the taste of the bloodshed to come.

[OOC And off she goes for another tour of Vikarh. :) Just to say, actually there are Priests of Khaine; he's an equal opportunities Lord of Murder :D]
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

((OOC: I haven't made a mod post in a while due to inactivity of posts in here. I guess people have been busy or have lost interest. I'll push the story along some point this week, regardless of whether the posting pace picks up or not. And yes, there are indeed Priests of Khaine ;) ))
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

OOC
Not lost interest, of course.
I wish more participants, this is why I wait for them (or for a mod's post) before posting anew.
Hope Syjahel will keep her patience.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

I'm still here :) I think part of the problem is people not realising that when you introduce a character, you have to be prepared to sometimes make the first move. I think sometimes people post once, then because no-one picks up their character to play with, they don't come back.

It's like a social event - you can't rely on sitting there hoping you look interesting enough for someone else to make the first move. Get stuck in! :D

And if your answer is "well my character wouldn't talk to anyone" why the hell are you roleplaying?? :D You have a solo character that belongs in a computer RPG or as a fiction protagonist.

There's a simple test: if you are not interested in interacting with people but want to showcase a cool story, you are writing fiction. If you are interested in interacting with people, and involving their cool stories with yours, then you want to roleplay.

Now don't get me wrong, one is not better than the other. If you want to write fiction then please do get over to the fiction section and write some because it's a long time 'til the next Malus Darkblade book comes out and I miss my Druchii fiction! :D

But this is not a cunning ploy for me to get myself some more Druchii fiction. I just want to roleplay. I've been fortunate, I have roleplaying to interact with *waves at Calisson*, but I approached someone else's character to get it. You can do it too!

And incidentally I am happy to roleplay with more characters too. I just think someone should ask me to dance this time :D
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

((OOC - Well said Syjahel, thank you!

I prefer not to spoon feed people in this thread. Such control is for the RPG groups, the plan behind this was for people to fluidly interact with each other and their environment, with the odd GM post to push things along or show an event. Kind of like dropping a new toy in the hamster cage ;)

Imagination and writing are skills that free you all from the binds of reality. So get out there people and show me how delightful your Druchii are!))
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations

Mod, Group 38
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Name: Cab’um “Nimby” Smith - Profession: smith & mad scientist.
Equipment: smith’s hammer & strangely bent knives - dirty smith's dress.
End-post location: Weaponsmith forge.

-=-=-

The forge was now showing a new, freshly painted ensign with small, gothic characters:
“Fashion weapons – no two murders will be alike”

-=-=-

The skulls were ready.
Their thin silver interlacing designed spiky curbs, which seemed to dance at the light of a candle.
In one skull’s orbits, the red gaze from rubies proved more severe than considered, but that would fit a former nobleman.

Lacking blood, Cab’um tested the chalices with strawberry juice. Leaves of mint in the poison’s pockets. That worked, but would require a few minutes of infusing, or shaking. Blood and associated poisons' proportions and temperatures would have to be fine tuned by trial and error till bringing full satisfaction.
The warming pocket worked fine with some burning charcoal, however it affected the strawberry taste. Cab’um noted that strawberry is better tasted at lower temperature than blood.
By curiosity, he replaced the coal with ice. That tasted much better. Especially with the mint.
Looked like jelly, could call that “gelato”. That was something to investigate during the warmest summer days. Would Khelandria lend him the chalices back?

-=-=-

Meanwhile, he had things get out of hand – everything out of Hanir’s hand, to tell the full story.
The skin had been cleared from any fat and flesh. It had been smoked over the hearth for two days when it caught fire and became useless.
With his hopes vanished in smoke, Cab’um considered the bones. Some of the metallic scrap he had in abundance could be used to hold the bones together, still articulated. A metal gauntlet could easily be made around the hand. In the space left in between, some careful mechanism involving different metals would make the hand react to changes in temperature, humidity and pressure. Adding a couple of weighting masses and springs in remote places left inside the hand, that would make it react unexpectedly to different inclinations. That would be his next work, if customers would leave him that leisure.

-=-=-

OOC: could we make this two days later, on Death Night’s eve?

EDIT (Mon Jun 11, 2012)
A professional change forthcoming. Can't guess what Internet access will be available.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

[OOC If I could just ask, is it now right before Death Night? That would substantially change the kind of post I make :D That's not a complaint :)

Calisson, good luck with your professional change! :) ]
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

<OOC:
Move on, Syjahel, obviously nothing significant happened till that eve.
Hopefully, such an event will attract a crowd of strollers, rubberneck, looker-on, tourists, gapers and the usual Fish & Chips sellers - and possibly some new participants to this RPG.>
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Mod Post

<Immersion Track>

It was the day before Death Night. The gates into Vikarh, and the docks, had been busy with the arrivals of slaves, prisoners, and Druchii from the surrounding crags and valleys. Rogues and Autarii were among them, and an uneasy welcome awaited them.

The streets were busy with a higher than usual population, shrines to Khaine decorated with severed heads, some more fresh than others. The smell of death hung in the air, and ravens waited greedily for opportunities to snatch a beakful of flesh.

Within the town, residents were deciding which slave or family member to offer. Witch Elves and Khainites stalked the streets, with murderous hunger upon their faces. A few more hours, and their revels would begin. In the market square, a large cauldron had been placed by a visiting delegation from Har Ganeth. It was empty for now, but this would soon change.

((OOC: It is the daytime before Death Night. Only a few more hours to go. If you're new to this, why not describe what you're up to, or your plans to kill or stay safe! Please don't be scared to interact. RP is about you using your imagination, not being force fed like in a computer game. Please give me hope that the younger generations are still capable of this art! :lol: ))
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Name: Cab’um “Nimby” Smith - Profession: smith & mad scientist.
Equipment: smith’s hammer & strangely bent knives - dirty smith's dress.
End-post location: Weaponsmith forge.

-=-=-

At the forge, Cab'um couldn't concentrate as he wished.
With the approach of some kind of religious event that Cab'um couldn't care less about, people where coming in droves, asking for the fanciest weapons.

Cab'um made an effort, these new customers were trusting his genius, after all. The amount of work prevented him to eat and sleep as would be reasonable, and his humor would reflect that sooner or later - at the customer's risk. Another of the many Cab'um paradoxes.

The piles of scrap turned out to become a source of inspiration that could not be exhausted, and the forge produced an unbelievable number of odd, strange, fancy and peculiar weapons, which would be ill suited to a battlefield but would certainly please someone who cared about the originality of a death.
And the quality of the deaths to provide was all that the customers seemed to care about.

The most elaborate weapons would include some black powder. Despite Cab'um's warnings, an occasional explosion would tell that the hasty customer did not wait for the Death Night before making a try.
This contribuited to increase Cab'um's work - and his reputation, too.

In one instance, Cab'um even managed to include some fireworks attached to a gigantic two hand axe. This weapon safely remained idle till the intended moment of its use.
Cab'um did not realize the prestige that the governor of the city would get from using this weapon during the event.

In two days, Cab'um made a fortune - and much more important, a reputation. His weapons were the hottest fashion for the Deaht Nite, or was it the Doughnut, or whatever name that feast was about.

-=-=-

Cab'um had hired four apprentices in two days - and fired them each time after a couple of hours.

The fifth one, a bald stocky brute nicknamed Bern'Hardo, seemed to be more resiliant. He withstood Cab'um's babbling without a word. That was easy for him, because he was mute and deaf, as the scars replacing his tongue and his ears showed obviously. That's why he did not leave, even when fired himself - which was forgotten shortly afterwards.

Surprisingly swift and clever, he would watch around and anticipate all the needs which would arise, bringing Cab'um the appropriate tool after a few trials and errors.
Stationed close to the door, he would greet the customers, and would make sure to receive a substantial payment in exchange for the weapons.

He did not mind Cab'um's mistreatments. He was a slave indeed, sent for payment for a fancy halberd, even if Cab'um did not realize that. For him, life in the forge was a paradise compared to the perverse tortures in his previous jail.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

All at his work, Cab'um did not pay attention to the outside world.
For all he cared, he could well be the only one alive in town.

<OOC: is him the only one alive in town? :?
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

((I know, at this rate I may end up closing the thread :( ))

Mod, Group 38
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

((As this RP has become so inactive, I have come to the decision that it is best to close it for the time being. Perhaps it will be opened again (for Death Night ~ sometime around Halloween maybe), we shall see.

Calisson and Syjahel, thank you for making such an effort. It was a pleasure to read the interplay with your characters.

I appreciate people have been busy, and it has been very enjoyable GMing this thread. Cheers.))

CLOSED

Mod, Group 38
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Waving goodbye with Handir's hand :(
Auf wider-see (yeah, I know, I should say -sehen, but -see fits better the sailor in me)

-=-=-

Great fluff, great idea, Nightcall.
Don't hesitate to resurrect the thread's first post if D.net becomes more bustling than at present.

-=-=-

I came once to discover Syjahel with her famous listof do & don't (which became much longer than the original), and Khelandria was up to it! :D
Thanks for sharing this town.