Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:04 am



Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Group 40 - Witch Hunt 
Author Message
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8713
Location: Hag Graef
"Dismiss".
That was not an injunction to ask a Drachau to repeat. Especially if she mentioned it. Even more as she seemed to be prone to quick anger, and as she might have powers beyond imagination.

Clavisson bowed one last time and took the stairs leading outside. After a few steps, he slew down to allow his companions to catch up before he ventured outside.
"Let's go, then.
Er... if you all don't mind, I'd rather follow you."


Many informations, many more questions.
Such a powerful drachau had been cheated a powerful item. But she relied on a group of young and inexperienced adventurers - and her champion - rather than using her all mighty retinue. They must be very busy.
Or, possibly, as all the retinue save the warrior was using magic, maybe she did not trust magic to solve her problem. That might be a difficult issue for the Hysh mage.

The detective made mental notes.
Code:
# Know your boss:
Drachau is to be called "Mistress", her name she gives not.
She is patient. But only to a point. Her smiling face is a facade, she is boiling under the surface. She gets enraged in no time, and becalms as quickly.
The love she receives from her people is obviously single sided, she scorns them.
All her retinue, despite being powerful, seem to fear her.

# Know the new mission:
To search Chaos Wastes for a vile witch, powerful enough to fool Mistress. Worse, she should be with her true boss. True identity unknown.
Beware of using magic. There must be a reason why Mistress does not use her own.
Find the Star of Chaos. It is a key to the Chaos Gate itself. If re-forged, allows Chaos to be unleashed on this world. (*)
Once Chaos Wastes pacified and the world is saved, bring back the key to Mistress.
(*) This part did well correlate with the Lores studied in the Jail.

# Know her retinue:
Name of the sorceress met with Seth the guard is Modrane.
The witch who has taken the Star of Chaos seems to have been part of the retinue herself.
That makes a heavily magic retinue, all but one using magic with ease.

# Know your companions:
Khaela, the Vaulkhar herself, will guide us. Probably one of the best fighters in Naggaroth.
Se'alara, of the Temple of Bloody Joy, is a female blood-thirsty cultist.
Zarathi, the peasant girl, was linked with Lord Kaladhars. I was not aware of his fall. Must update my collection of gossips.
The rat hunter has a name: Valin.
The male Khainite, who finally revealed himself to be part of the group.


Arriving outside, Clavisson paused to contemplate the mess of corpses.
He felt relieved that such a combat monster as Khaela would escort them.
Himself would be comparatively of little use in combat, maybe unless he could get a pair of handbows and some bolts.

Se'alara started chatting with Clavisson. She asked for guidance.
The detective replied:
"Se'alara, daughter of Khaine,
detective is my profession. Cities are my usual playing ground. But I trust our guide, Khaela, to know where to start searching. And in the openness, Zarathi behind us will proably feel more confortable than us all."


Looking at the peasant girl, he asked her:
"By the way, Zarathi, if you could tell me about Lord Kaladhars' demise, I'd be interested."

Then he realised that the male Khainite was still with them.
"Oh? You're with us, then? I was wondering who you were."

Is there something that Clavisson would now thanks to his Urban Lore knowledge about the Star of Chaos?
(edited out any discussion with Khaela, as it appears that she is still inside).
_________________
Clavisson the detective - WS3 S2 T4 D4 I5
Equipment: Staff, 4 dagger (throwing)

Inventory: Hadrilkar amulet - 1 guard's amulet - Drachau's note - diverse lighters, candles and black powder
Skills: Power of Hysh (1), Urban Lore
Class: Mage (Light)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:22 pm
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 594
It was the witch elf who broke silence first. She had no clue how to find this thief sorceress and turned for advice to the man with hat - auxiliary inquisitor Clavisson, Zarathi should remember this name. The detective spoke about two elves. First, the strong fighter, which was expectable. But second, he mentioned Zarathi herself. The mercenary hid her surprise.

“I am not sure I can help much in this search,” she replied in a thoughtful voice with a slight low class accent. “I have never been to the Chaos Wastes. Not that I regret it. But from what I have heard, they are so big we could probably travel for weeks before crossing the path of this fleeing sorceress. And to catch her before she arrives there would be hard, too. There are quite a few travellers on the roads, farmers, messengers, soldiers, servants of various lords with important business. She could disguise herself as any one of them. We can hardly confront them all. We need some magic or the like, I fear, if you do not have some unusuall trick at hand of course.”

She stopped for a while, wondering if she really had just promoted herself to the group's expert on disguise. Then she looked at Clavisson, again.

“As for your question about Lord Kaladhar," she continued, “I know just a little. There was a big rebellion, not just of slaves, but of free lowborns, too. It lasted two or three days and then some other armed elves arrived and killed everyone. Probably some rival of him. I could only guess which one and you surely understand I am not going to mention names.”

She looked around a few moments in silence, lost in thoughts. Many pairs of dead eyes watched her as she spoke.

“Some places there looked a bit similar to this one,” she pointed to the stars. “Only there were more dead and some of them wore armour. You can decide for yourself who really caused Lord Kaladhar's death, whether his rival, or his servants.”

Zarathi paused and shrugged her shoulders. “This is all the insight I can give you, I fear. Hope it is enough. Why do you want to know, actually?”

Conversation.

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:28 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8713
Location: Hag Graef
Despite being from the countryside, Zarathi seemed not able to track a city dweller in the openness. She must be more a peasant than a hunter.
But why in the world would Mistress hire a peasant? Well, she proved able to make her way to the city hall, so at least she was able either to fight or to avoid combat.
At least, she provided some information about Lord Kaladhar, then wondered why it would be of any interest for Clavisson.
"Well, as a detective, the more I know, the better. You never know when some small piece of knowledge might help solve a mystery."

Then, he searched for the male Khainite. Where was him? Ah, still there.
"So, what about you? Is there any help you might provide us?

Chatting.


_________________
Clavisson the detective - WS3 S2 T4 D4 I5
Equipment: Staff, 4 dagger (throwing)

Inventory: Hadrilkar amulet - 1 guard's amulet - Drachau's note - diverse lighters, candles and black powder
Skills: Power of Hysh (1), Urban Lore
Class: Mage (Light)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:55 pm
Profile
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:51 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: I am the voice inside your head
Se'alra pursed her lips, and then quickly stopped. So far her 'allies' were not proving especially inspiring but there was no need to let them know that, not yet at least. After all she was no leader amongst them, no leader at all really. Just a Neophyte with a pair of knives, a single tattoo and now a goal. She would be happier if she could add a plan to that list. Unfortunately non present seemed to know much about the country side or tracking. Either an oversight or such experts had been invited but had not survived the journey. In that case they were surely too weak to be of much use, but a tracker would have been helpful.

The Khainite was no woods elf, she knew the tracks of pathways of the plain of spiders better than most but only because most elves avoided the place (and with good reason). Never the less in lieu of an expert she put her mind to the task as the 'inquisitor' and the peasant set to chattering about irrelevant lords too feeble to control their chattel or keep hold of their own intestines.

"This Star fragment," she said after a minute or so in silence
"It is a powerful artefact. My knowledge of things sorcerous is small but I would have thought such a thing might leave a trail or signs of some kind. If we had a sorceress or some form of arcane device of our own perhaps we could find it." The Neophyte paused again this time in distaste.
"Maybe we should see if our guide could speak to that Mordrane for us, as we have no sorceresses amongst us,"

Obviously Se'alara doesn't know just how many Vauvalka she is walking amongst. Anyway she raises the possibility of tracking the star's magical trail if there are such things. Disturbances in the winds, that sort of thing maybe. She suggests asking Khalea to talk to Mordrane for advice and help on the matter believing non of the men folk to be casters.

_________________
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation


Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:14 pm
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 594
“It seemed to me that they have a plan,” replied Zarathi. “The drachau said Khaela will explain what we have to do, I suppose she will know more than where our provisions are. If we understand we need some sort of magic to even begin, they must understand it, too. They know far more than us.” She said this with an unshakable certainty, obviously prepared to rely on the judgement of her new superiors.

She thought for a while, then added: “But someone mentioned that you are a witch elf. U suppose this gives you no possibilities regarding the search? Contacting northern temples, sending quick messengers, recognizing a sorceress even if in disguise or something?”


Just trying to keep the conversation flowing.

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:18 pm
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Valin sauntered out into the courtyard along with the others. The amulet hung around his neck, though as far as he was concerned it was of limited or rather pointless use. He was confident his own magics would prove effective at stopping himself succumbing, even if all he could do was repair the damage. Nevertheless he wore, it was less hassle.

As he came down the steps his shoes stuck to the ground with slightly revolting tackiness as the pools of diseased blood clutched at the soles. His companions were standing around waiting for directions and guessing which form the search, the chase, might take.

“If you’re familiar with a beings aura it would be technically possible to retrace its route, provided not too much time has elapsed and you have access to the correct magics. I hear some human practitioners of the magics are quite adept at doing so.”

_________________
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance


Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20 pm
Profile
... And Hell Followed
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:52 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Scotland
Once the heroes had ventured outside they discussed the current situation amongst themselves. Meanwhile, inside the city hall, Khaela turned to face her Mistress, a conflict of emotions skimming the waves of her blue eyes. The drachau, though unnecessary, reaffirmed with her Champion the task which lay ahead of the warrior.

"Your will be done, Mistress," the muscular warrior intoned as she knelt and clamped a steel-enveloped fist to her chest.

The broad-shouldered, massively chested warrior woman strode outside with thunderous, muted steps only moments later. Khaela regarded each of the group with callous regard from the top of the stairs, her eyes cold and hard like the depths of the ocean; she disregarded each of their attentions as she began to descend. Khaela studied her handiwork with the deranged citizens and a slow, almost satisfied smile began to form on her lips. She placed her helmet over her layered blue hair as she stepped into the gore-drenched courtyard, and her unmarred face settled into a grim expression of repressed violence.

"Let's go," she said, her tone brooked no argument. The group followed her from the courtyard and Khaela set a quick pace as she led the way with long, powerful strides like those of a juggernaut. The blue-eyed warrior occasionally paused to casually boot aside mutilated torsos of the demented villagers she had so recently put to a violent end; a mercy, all things considered. The warriors visible blue-tinted flesh, from the neck down, was a patchwork of scars and abrasions with barely a millimetre untouched by violent means.

By the time the group had traversed the blood-bath that was the courtyard, their feet were caked in gore and semi-congealed blood. The warriors pace did not slow as they traveled North through the city's streets. They passed several guard outposts, most of which were involved in small skirmishes. Generally, though, the guards looked like they were managing the threat of zombie-citizens and order was slowly being restored to Everain.

* * * * *

Once the group had set of Nothwards, a few minutes passed and The Drachau had not moved since her friend left the confines of the city hall, her beautiful face etched with sentimentality. It was Modrane who broke the silence.

"Your compassion does you credit, my dear, if you were anyone else I'd call it a weakness."

After several seconds of silence, the albino assassin ventured an opinion. "You told them too much."

The Drachua turned to face her retinue after an interminable time. "Perhaps, though it was necessary. Did they suspect anything?"

"Undoubtedly," the albino mused. "You command; they obey, that is the way it should be."

"You told them the truth," Modrane piped in, "just not all of it. That is far more than I would have done."

Mistress smiled to the both of them. "They should follow me because they desire to do so, not because I bullied them into it." The last of The Drachau's retinue stepped forward, her pet wolves rising to accompany her. "Alarissa, you know what to do."

With eyes hard as agates, Alarissa nodded her compliance and left the same say Khaela had.

"Now then, we'd better get back to saving this cursed town."

* * * * *

Everain was not a large city, nevertheless it took the group a half hour or more at a relentless pace to begin the final approach to the Northern gate. There was very little signs that the outbreak was evident and no sounds of skirmishes could be heard over the pounding rain, which had let up only slightly. Any attempt to speak with Khaela was swiftly met with rebuttal, or a simple refusal to answer the groups questions; the warrior was clearly was not the talkative type.

Suddenly, she stopped, her gaze slowly lifted to the heavens due east of the heroes current position. Nothing seemed amiss. Swirling storm clouds danced in chaotic majesty and lightning arced the sky, commonplace occurrences for this city. But Khaela continued to watch. After several seconds a very faint light began to glow through the clouds, dim but ever so slowly glowing brighter. The light grew steadily, becoming tinged with green as it unfurled amongst the twirling clouds.

"Warpstone," Khaela said, matter of factly. An instant later a glowing green ball of burning meteor ignited it's way through the dense, roiling skies. From it's trajectory it was clear the warpstone hunk would land somewhere in the city. The enraged ball grew larger as it sailed closer to the group, eventually sailing overhead. It was not a large meteor, perhaps only eight metres in diameter. Still, the group could feel the fel flames burning up the atmosphere as it sailed overhead.

The warrior knelt, placing both her hands on the ground. The impact of the space-rock was at first deafening, then devastating. Shockwaves assailed the city laying waste to everything in their path, the group weren't in close enough proximity to have their skin flayed instantly from their bones, but they still felt the effects. Debris, rubble and dust was flung like a black cloud over the group as each was flung by the force of the shockwave. They were lucky enough not to collide with anything that would inflict permanent injury upon them them, though each would suffer minor scrapes and bruises.

Taldein was not quite so fortunate, he was thrown through the air like a doll and thumped his head - fortunately he wore a helmet, which took the brunt of the blow - against the stump of a building and slumped against it, semi-conscious. A stoutly built chimney hurtled towards him and would have obliterated him in an instant. But Khaela intervened, just at the moment of impact, she imposed herself over the catatonic khainite. The warrior ducked her head behind her galerus as she bent her arm to secure her helmet, the chimney shattered against the bulwark she provided with explosive force as Khaela grunted with the exertion and pain of repelling the fatal blow.

It would take some time for the dust to settle and visibility was poor, but the group, and Khaela, all survived the blast with only minor injuries. The worst off was Taldein with a concussion, though thanks to the intervention of Khaela, and perhaps the ministrations that Valin could offer, he would make a full recovery. The khainites eye(s) were bleary as Khaela looked into them, their faces almost touching, only when she was sure that Taldein would not slip away into the afterlife did she rise to search for the other heroes.

Picking themselves up and dusting themselves down, the heroes regrouped to continue their Northward trek, the gates of Everain now starting to become visible through the fog that clouded the now rubble-strewn street.

Left it here so you guys can continue chatting for a bit. Taldein is the only one who has suffered injury though it's nothing life-threatening, just a mere concussion and Valin could probably fix that without much trouble. The north gates are visible through the smog, perhaps a ten minute walk from their current position.

_________________
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold


Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:51 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: I am the voice inside your head
"Something tells me this city isn't going to meet its tribute quota this year," Se'alara commented after she had picked her self up from the ground. Near the gates of the city the they had been spared the worst of the impact but if it had had such a dramatic impact here the centre of the blast must now be little more than a smoking crater.

"Warpstone, how unfortunate," she said, the odd substance having been covered in her theological studies
"Evarin is not a lucky town. Perhaps this is the work of the witch we hunt. What name was she using here Vaulkhar? Even if it is not her real one we must call her something."

That was not a comforting thought, if their prey had the power to rain down that level of destruction they might well find her only to face obliteration.

"Hideous as the effects will likely be on those subjects still living I do not suppose it alters our mission. Let us get beyond the walls, perhaps there we can finalise our plan."

Talking, a shorter version would be 'bugger, but anyway off we go'. Eager to get moving but she will wait for the others. No wondering off alone

_________________
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation


Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:37 pm
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Valin lay looking up at the sky for a moment after being unceremoniously tossed from his feet by the impact. He could feel a few places that would see bruises form if he didn’t deal with them but other than that nothing seemed out of place. Sitting up he looked around at the others. Most seemed alright, though one was being examined by their guide suggesting he took something of a bang in the flight. Using his staff he levered himself to his feet with a few muttered curses. This whole mission in the city was far too physical for his liking. Though much to study, the propensity to harm me of the subjects is most wearisome.

Drawing a small amount of magic to himself he set about healing the damaged capillaries which would result in bruising and sauntered towards the dazed khainite. The other khainite obviously knew something of the nature of the cities new guest and Valin was slightly surprised to hear it was warpstone. For a moment he felt the urge to go investigate but he’d had enough of this city and no doubt the warpstone would just have mutated more things that would want to hurt him while he was trying to examine them. As he came level with Taldein he sent out a sliver of magic to heal the incipient bruising in his brain and walked on.

“Something of an interesting farewell to the city in any case. Who’d have thought it would be hit by a meteor. Rather high odds against one landing inside a city I would have thought.”

Small bit of healing for himself and Taldein. Happy to be off out of the city.

_________________
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance


Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:32 pm
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 594
Their terrifying guide stopped and watched the sky. In a few moments, green glow appeared on the sky and she crouched. Zarathi hesitated just a moment and then fell to the ground as well, shielding her head with both arms. Something thundered and then she felt something like a blast of a windstorm. The tempest was strong, there were elves flying in the air, a stone hitting Zarathi's shoulder, a chimney falling on a plated back - but before the lowborn could grasp what had happened, everything ceased again.

She stood up. The others were uttering emotionless remarks, and save for some more bricks lying on the ground, there were hardly any signs that something unusual had happened. She could not even see a fire where the warpstone had disappeared. Hardly any signs - except the tall elf lying motionless.

“Is anyone injured?” Zarathi asked casually while trying to get clay out of her hair. Then she slowly walked to Se'alara and Valin, prepared to continue.

Cleansing herself, adopting a cool pose and waiting.

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:49 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8713
Location: Hag Graef
Although he apreciated adventure, the detective knew too well that he was more a scholar than an all-mighty warrior.
This is why Clavisson was glad to be escorted by some elves that seemed more able than himself to deal with incoming agressive infected citizens.
Anyway, this threat appeared to be well contained by the remaining guards.

As the situation seemed to allow some chat, Clavisson tried to get some information from their muscular leader. However, the first attempt flatly failed.
The second try was met with such a gaze that the son of the jail immediately apologized and retreated.

Suddenly, she stopped, and the detective wondered what she had detected.
It was a comet of some kind. That warrior was puzzling, with such a precognition, even superior to the detective's acute senses.
"Warpstone," Khaela said, matter of factly. That seemed a well established fact. No need to question this information.
When the warrior took a protective stance before impact, Clavisson followed immediately the example. She seemed to have ample experience in that field.
Good inspiration, despite a strong close impact, the mage suffered only bruises. Nice to get such a bulwark!

Then she jumped and rushed to protect the Khainite, who had fallen down with no other members of the group even noticing.
"Precognition, lightning reflexes, impressive strength, what a warrior she is!" marveled Clavisson. He knew that no compliment was expected, not even any thank. This kind of super-elvin was more than likely imbued of herself and patronizing to the mere mortals that the group was made of.

The rat hunter stood up quickly and showed some sympathy for the wounded khainite. When he did, Clavisson perceived a faint feeling that the surrounding magic wind potential had been tapped. Hmmm? Not Hysh, for sure. What was it? Well, Valin was perhaps a vauvalka.


Resuming the hunt was up to Khaela.

Waiting for the signal, Clavisson thought again about what Se'alara had said some time ago: the star fragment could have left a magic trail, that would be perceptible by someone gifted. This was something Clavisson had never tried before, magic objects were seldom transported in jails. But that could be within his reach, if he managed to find out how to do it.
The problem was to detect the appropriate track, when he knew next to nothing about what they were searching. Only Khaela knew, and she was not talkative - and a little torture to help her give away some information was not appropriate.
There could be a way, still. If that star was a really potent artefact, it would certainly irradiate some power or disturb the winds of magic in a much more sensible way than mere magic weapons such as what Khaela was wearing or the amulets that were given to the group.

The detective concentrated his mind in order to capture the feeling that a potent artefact had been there. He trusted Khaela to lead them in the appropriate direction.

Setting his mind to detect the trail left by an artefact.
_________________
Clavisson the detective - WS3 S2 T4 D4 I5
Equipment: Staff, 4 dagger (throwing)

Inventory: Hadrilkar amulet - 1 guard's amulet - Drachau's note - diverse lighters, candles and black powder
Skills: Power of Hysh (1), Urban Lore
Class: Mage (Light)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:09 pm
Profile
... And Hell Followed
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:52 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Scotland
Se'alara was the first to recover from the shockwave that had demolished much of the city, though Khaela was not amused by her sarcastic quip.

"This was not the work of that biatch, you can be sure of that." The domineering warrior stated to the female khainites question, 'that biatch' being a less than generous reference to the thief and a suitable name for the disliked person. Khaela did not wait around to listen to Se'alara's advice to finalise the plan, the warrior was already on the hunt for the other adventurers.

Valin was next to emerge from the settling cloud of atomised city and was already making his way to help the khainite slumped against a mound of building. Bruises and concussions were some of the most easily healed physical inflections by one skilled in the arcane arts of life, providing that one understood the fundamental basics. Fortunately Valin had more than an inkling into the machinations of such things and easily worked his magic to the benefit of himself and the fallen khainite.

Taldeins mishap was soon rectified by his magically gifted ally and now only a slight headache offered the khainite cause for concern.

The shade and the light-mage both had the good sense to shield themselves from the blast. Zarathi had dived to the ground and protected her head with her arms, the chimney missed her by scant inches and, like a fart in the breeze, she felt the wind gush over her in it's wake. The others of the group had gathered indicating to the once-slave that it was safe for her to rise.

The detective followed their leaders' example and bravely used her bulk to shield himself, as a result Clavisson was the only person to survive the blast without feeling the caress of flying debris. Valins proximity brushed The Son of the Jails magical senses, telling him of the other elfs' elemental prowess, though his strength with such a force was impossible to determine.

Khaela offered Taldein a firm grip for him to get to his feet, though the warrior crushed his fingers and very nearly pulled his arm off with her assistance. The Draich'Arha nodded his appreciation.

While the group recovered and made ready to continue the journey, Clavisson set his mind to the task of locating a magical trail for them to follow. Such an attempt was futile at best; the only tangible sense of anything remotely arcane he could detect, now that Valin was no longer at work, was the overpowering aura of the warpstone meteorite.

Once Khaela was satisfied that the heroes were ready she continued to lead the way. The thick smog of dust was either slowly setting or being blown about by the vague winds that blew in silent swirls. The rain, as ever, continued it's happy drizzling of Everain. Gradually and steadily the heroes walked upwards towards the North gate, it took them some ten minutes to reach it and there was a distinct lack of guards defending the imposing structure.

The reason why there were no valiant members of the city watch stationed here soon became apparent. In the shadows by the wayside two corpses lay in a twisted guards-shaped heap. Khaela paused for a few moments to study them. Their armour and clothing bore clear signs of a struggle, with many bleeding punctures, and not a few claw and teeth marks gashed into their cloaks. Both unfortunate souls had their faces moulded into profusely tortured expressions which could only be the work of an agonising poison.

Everain was situated South East of Clar Karond and the road from the Northern gate would eventually lead into, and ultimately through, the Black Forest. The heroes followed the road from the cursed city, many of them glad to leave the chaotic mess, or what was left of it, behind them. Even through the gloom the edge of the forest slowly materialised, though they couldn't see it for the trees, and their path would lead them directly into it. Since the turbulent clouds hid away the smiling face of the moon and the would-be glittering stars the countryside was near perpetual darkness. It would be black as black in the Black Forest itself.

"The Pale Moon Rises, Sin'kheyl khadathil." A grainy voice greeted the warrior (and, by extension, the heroes) from the shadows at the edge of the forest. Khaela took one glance at the sky and neglected to comment.

Two figures emerged from the shadows, though both were dressed so completely in black that they seemed a part of the darkness itself, only their eyes told of their presence with any certainty. Khaela nodded to them as if they were strangers offering a passing greeting. Light flared as the two newcomers lit lanterns to illuminate the immediate vicinity. The hooded pair had identical tattoos - clan markings - on their cheeks and each carried a sheathed longsword and a dagger at their hips; the butts of Uraithen protruded from behind their shoulders.

"Come." The left shade spoke and waved for the group to follow as he led the way. The second elf waited and took up the rear. Between them, the Autarii provided ample light for the group to see where they were going. The lead shade led them only a short distance into the woods before entering a clearing which was populated by animals and decorated with several large packs. Seven dark steeds stood to the left, a pile of backpacks lay in a neatly ordered row in the middle, and way over on the right side of the clearing a Nauglir stood chained to a tree.

"Is that for me?" Khaela asked as she dipped her head to the giant-sized lizard. With a grin which looked almost comical on his stern features, the shade nodded. The female warrior glared at him before a low growl escaped her throat, without comment she walked over to what was going to be her mount for the coming journey.

"If I know Khaela, and I pray that I never will, she has not divulged certain mandatory snippets of insightful information to you. Mistress is under a lot of strain, which you will surely appreciate, so your time with our Beloved was short by necessity. We, that is, the Clan of the Pale Moon, has tracked your -"

By now the indomitable warrior approached the cold one which snarled viciously as it snapped vice-like jaws and knife-sized teeth at the offending presence that had invaded its personal space. In an instant, Khaela had stepped back and unleashed an uppercut that could crush, well, crush a lot of things with ridiculous ease; the punch landed squarely on the beasts' snout. The animal staggered back a step, then another, before collapsing to the ground with a loud thwump! Cold Ones were well known for their toughness, power and size, they also weighed more than a tonne. The warrior looked down at the creature then sat on its back as it lay in the dirt.

"Yes, well. We tracked her to the Chaos Wastes. That is a fair distance as I am more than abundantly certain you can fathom for yourselves. Hence, your Mistress has provided you with horses from her very own stables, as well as supplies from, you guessed it, her very own pantry. She was also generous enough to provide you with an escort to guide you through the Black Forest - that being myself, my moniker is Sunny, because of my sodding sunny disposition, and Smiley back there, who never smiles. We do not give outsiders our true names, so don't ask." The angry faced shade sucked in a breath before continuing. "Questions? No? Good! Gather up your packs and get yourselves mounted, we leave in ten minutes."


Should be plenty things you can write about from this Mod post. In your packs you will find provisions - lets say enough for ten meals and you will have to eat at least one per day - and other minor items useful for journeying adventurers - rope, flint & tinder, a lantern, a sleeping bag/blanket, a flask, erm, other things? Run 'em by me and we'll add some other niceties for your characters to have, if you fancy ;)

Don't be afraid to ask Sunny some questions if you feel the need - can't help but feel I've forgotten something...



OOC: You might recall that Sin'kheyl khadathil means 'Spine of the Mountain'.

Anyone else familiar with the Fighting Fantasy books? That's where the idea for your packs came from!

As always, comments and questions in the OOC thread. Thank you!

Enjoy the read 8)

It appears that D.net won't accept the proper word for 'biatch'! :shock:

_________________
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold


Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:08 am
Profile
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:51 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: I am the voice inside your head
Khalea, it was rapidly becoming apparent, was a bloody miserable cow. Oh sure she was big and strong and there was little doubt of her prowess as a warrior but she seemed unwilling to answer even the most basic of questions with anything other than caustic bitterness. The Khainite would not have minded as much if said snide remarks were accompanied by useful information but non seemed forthcoming. Not even the name of their prey.

"Well if we have no more formal sobriquet we might as well gift this sorceress slut with a new name, I am thinking... Daffodil. Any advance on Daffodil?" She mused as they made their way to the gate. Fortunately Taldien seemed non the worse for wear quickly shaking off any injury he might have sustained in the blast. The good news did not last long, it seldom seemed to here. The gate guards were dead, predictably. It was not even certain that their deaths were the work of Daffodil, so many had died already and the causes seemed unending as the rain. Whether Khalea thought this the work of Daffodil or not she did not say, nor did Se'alara ask since asking seemed pointless. Anyway it didn't matter, the guards had been too weak to hold, they were dead, such was the way of things amongst civilised folk.

Speaking of which as they headed to the woods their rag tag band were introduced to some of the opposite sort. Barbarians of the hills and woods, expert scouts by all accounts, superb hunters. Savages. Useful savages but savages non the less. Rude ones too but her attention was distracted rather by the sight of a Cold One. Even for a servant of Khaine the one ton war-beast was formidable. Khalea seemed less intimidated and approached it with her tell tale blend of simplicity, violence and taciturn silence. Another savage then, useful savages, Evarin seemed full of the things.

Pulling on a traveling pack Se'alara found she didn't have much to say herself. According to their new guides Daffodil was already in the Chaos wastes, Khaine alone knew why the Shades hadn't tried to stop her before then for if she travelled to fast for the woodlanders to catch then what chance did they have, so many miles behind? Still there was no real point in berating or questioning them. They would hunt this witch together, then like as not most of them would die and Se'alara would take the Star to a worthy guardian, perhaps even the Drachau if Evarin still stood on their return.

"Onwards then," she said, waiting for the off.

_________________
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation


Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:38 pm
Profile
... And Hell Followed
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:52 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Scotland
OOC: Moving things along a little to a more convenient location for your characters to chat freely amongst themselves.


5 DAYS LATER


Led by the two dour-but-happy-shades the group made good time through the Black Forest. The storms centred around Everain were not so much in evidence the further they traveled. It would be another days march to the crossing between the Sea of Malice and the Sea of Chill. Dusk was fast approaching, the suns corona reflected reds and oranges across the splay of clouds in the mostly calm sky. The group had not paused to sleep, the only times for rest were to water and feed the horses - and the cold one, though the shades kept it's food supply plenty abundant.

The heroes were understandably fatigued by a lack of sleep and famished with barely a single meal eaten on a daily basis; a fact which was not lost on their warrior guide who looked as hale as ever. Khaela called a halt for the group to rest and recuperate. The shades were not appreciative though either saw it was necessary or they had no wish to change the fearsome warriors mind.

"Rest for the night," Khaela bade the group as they gathered in a clearing. "We still have a long way to go. I'll take watch."

Each sought the meagre comforts of their bedrolls and were soon off to sleepy-byes.

When the heroes did awaken at dawn, or shortly after, a campfire burned happily. The two shades stood at opposite sides of the clearing, though this was their territory it seemed one could never be too careful. Khaela was not to be seen, her belongings - greaves, galerus & manica, helmet and sword - lay in an almost neat pile at the edge of the campsite.

Just a quick one. Hopefully this is a better place/time to stop for a bit of chit-chat. I'm going to leave the RP open for a while to give everyone a chance to post.

_________________
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold


Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:41 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8713
Location: Hag Graef
Passed the North gate, where dead guards were showing signs of poisoning, the group penetrated the Black Forest.
The air was fresher and there were no longer aggressive infected citizen to attack the group.
The giant warrior kept leading the group in silence, only interrupted with scant orders using the bare minimum words.
Soon, the group joined two clan shades, who provided some food and mounts. They would speak little more words than Khaela.
Fortunately, the rest of the group provided more a pleasant company, and they came up to learn a little bit more of each other.
Now the group had come with a funny nickname, "Daffodil", to describe the hunted thief.

Trees, more trees, they all seemed alike to the Son of the Jail. He tried to challenge his comrades for the fun, "Guess what I am thinking about, it's tall, and dark green" but the joke fell flat.
After a couple of days in a cold, dark and wet forest, Clavisson had exhausted his long list of curses against life in the openness. Cities were not only much more confortable than forests, they had plenty of intellectual challenges that were lacking here.
Every now and then, he concentrated and tried to detect whether the artefact had left an arcane trail. By that time, the whole group had become suspicious of some arcane talents, despite him trying to do it secretly.
He also wished to concentrate on the two amulets he had, and analyse the differences in their efficiency, but there was no time to rest, ever, and he had to do it while seating on his steed.

By the time the whole group had turned into brainless zombies due to the lack of sleep, Khaela called for a night's stop. Her offer to take the first watch was not challenged by anyone, no surprise.

Testing the arcane trail now and then. Testing the arcane efficiency of two amulets during long, boring days.

OOC: considering that by now, all the character's descriptions should be known to each other.
_________________
Clavisson the detective - WS3 S2 T4 D4 I5
Equipment: Staff, 4 dagger (throwing)

Inventory: Hadrilkar amulet - 1 guard's amulet - Drachau's note - diverse lighters, candles and black powder - backpack with rope, flint & tinder, a lantern, a sleeping bag/blanket, a flask, erm, other things - 10 meals initially.
Skills: Power of Hysh (1), Urban Lore
Class: Mage (Light)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:15 am
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Valin had considered, not for the first time, that the change of location for this job was perhaps reason enough to quit it. He had after all spent decades perusing his own experiments in the wilderness that was Naggaroth and he had been quite looking forward to the town experience. It would have offered a whole new climate to test various theories. He was relatively certain that cities could be viewed as a micro-climate of their own with a unique ecology, even if that unique ecology was somewhat undead and possibly flattened in their last port of call.

Lying on his back as dawn coloured the sky he considered his current options. “Well on the plus side I might be able to get some seeds which could prove useful. A large softwood perhaps.” he muttered glancing around at the trees in the forest. Most seemed of the softwood variety, which was hardly surprising due to the climate. Sitting up he looked around the clearing to locate the rest of his party before climbing to his feet and wandering over to Zarathi. “Tell me shade, is there any particular type of tree or bush which is renowned for its rapid growth in these forests. It isn’t an area I’ve studied all that much as i usually prefer to work on animals or basic compounds, less splinters you understand. However I do feel they’d be useful to compliment my rather limited combative abilities. Something you no doubt agree would be a boon to a mission such as this.

Chatting to Zarathi to get some shade info.

_________________
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance


Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Profile
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:51 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: I am the voice inside your head
The trek through the forest had thus far been rather dull, only a few large animals stayed close enough to be so much as glimpsed and those swiftly vanished. With Khalea's cold one leading the way she was not surprised. Nor had there been any foes, worthy or otherwise, to test herself against. The woods seemed quiet, almost peaceful. Not at all what the warrior of Khaine was hoping to find when she joined this motley crew. On the plus side it had stopped raining.

This had left Se'alara with a great deal of time to consider her companions. Taldein's story piqued her interest, one day she was determined to see him inducted into the temple proper if he proved to be a warrior of any talent. He was quiet though, not terribly talkative, perhaps wrapped up in his meditations... or simply cold. The peasant Zerathi was similarly reticent seldom allowing her self to be drawn into conversation. She did seem a little more at home in the woods than she or the others but much less so than their two shade guides.

It was the two robed elves that interested Se'alara most, there was definitely something strange about the pair. Things seemed to happen around him, little things; the shadows didn't settle right, light played differently about their hair. On the second day Valin had burnt his hand on the camp fire, only slightly but it should have left a mark, there was none. Se'alara remembered the albino Vauvalka back in the city and could not help but wonder.

Gazing round the campsite after her first good night's sleep since this forced march began Se'alara noted Khalea's absence and her pile of belongings on the ground. There must be a water source near by since out in the wilds the only reason a warrior like Khalea would strip so completely would be to bathe. Se'alara was tempted to see if she could find the bathing spot herself but knowing that they were certain to be off soon she was determined to have something like a cooked breakfast first.

Pulling on her white robe before slipping out from beneath her blanket into the cool morning air Se'alara went to her pack to fish out a canteen of water; a handful of dried fruit and a packet of oats. Finding a small cooking pot she set about making a little porridge.

All of the others were either awake or stirring, perhaps now was the time to pry a little into the mysteries that troubled her.
"Clavisson," she called over to the black robe were he sat
"If I might, I wonder how it is that an agent of a body often hated travels so widely with nothing more than a staff for protection. Is your work not dangerous enough to warrant arms and armour as your cousins in the regulars prefer?" It was the least of the elf's oddities, perhaps the one he would be most willing to discuss.

Making porridge, having a chat.

_________________
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation


Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:47 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8713
Location: Hag Graef
Hmmm. Is it the smell of warm porridge?
Clavisson awoke. Yes, that cute witch elf, apparently kept some of her female skills and was preparing breakfast.
Yumm! Nice of you to wake us up with such an exquisite call! Would you be so kind as to share with the group?
They started casual chat while sharing the meal. The girl was surprisingly kind for an adept of Khaine, that most non-Khainite widely believed to be single-minded to a caricature.
Clavisson wondered for a second whether that girl had hidden intentions towards him but it seemed not the case.
You never know. The detective knew too well his own limitations. Understanding females would be the summit of his education as detective, one feat he could not expect to achieve in centuries, if ever.

Her questions turned slightly more personal. Clavisson felt uneasy, he liked better to be on the asking side than on the replying side. At least, there was no torture involved that time.
"If I might, I wonder how it is that an agent of a body often hated travels so widely with nothing more than a staff for protection. Is your work not dangerous enough to warrant arms and armour as your cousins in the regulars prefer?"
"Ah, you're talking about detective thrillers as romanced by bards. Actually my work usually happens long after violence has ceased, and I expect not to get involved in combat myself.
He smiled with an evil grin.
"About the danger to travel alone, people know that no crime against any member of the Black Towers has been left unpunished. Ever. Even when the offender died before beeing caught, revenge is taken in another way. At any cost. That's the Black Guard's way.
Anyway, I'm not alone at the moment, and the escort seems more than adequate to fend off any danger."


Chatting.

OOC: Yes, Clavisson is quite misogynist in his mind. He also has patronizing felings towards Khainites. And peasants. Even Vauvalkas. Actually, anyone not a Black Guard. And even some of them, you'd wonder. Most of them.
But Clavisson is also highly civilized - and prudent - and would not let a hint out of his true feelings.

_________________
Clavisson the detective - WS3 S2 T4 D4 I5
Equipment: Staff, 4 dagger (throwing)

Inventory: Hadrilkar amulet - 1 guard's amulet - Drachau's note - diverse lighters, candles and black powder - backpack with rope, flint & tinder, a lantern, a sleeping bag/blanket, a flask, erm, other things - 10 meals initially.
Skills: Power of Hysh (1), Urban Lore
Class: Mage (Light)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:35 pm
Profile
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:51 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: I am the voice inside your head
Well the 'inquisitor' was talking, not a surprise but an opportunity. On his request to share Se'alara looked into the pot, what with meals being communal in the TOBJ she was not great at judging portions. Oats it seemed grew considerably in the cooking, there was probably enough for three, maybe even four though the fruit would be a little sparse. Fishing out a couple of the shallow wooden bowls provided for both eating and drinking she ladled a reasonable helping into each before handing one over.

His answers were interesting if evasive. There was no doubt that the Black Guard were feared but such a claim of absolute vengeance... perhaps this elf put a little too much faith in his brothers and sisters.

"You are a torturer then? Do you not work in the field at all? I had understood your role to be investigative in a rounder sense. Forgive me my curiosity but I heed well the words of the eighty first scroll of the Crimson Chronicles.

'Look to your sisters, your mothers and your brothers and find where they are weak. Find where they are strong; where they will falter and where they shall rise for the blind shall do Khaine their greatest service only in death.'

"So tell me Inquisitor, where shall you rise?"


Probing.

_________________
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation


Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:37 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8713
Location: Hag Graef
That Khainite was rather subtile for her profession. And she showed a surprising amount of curiosity and culture.
The detective began to think that she might become more than a bodyguard.

"Torture is one possible way, that I try to master effectively, given the opportunity.
But I do not consider it the preferred way to get information - unless someone wishes pain to be inflicted for some reason, of course.

Much better is to incite people to give information on their own. Of course, most would not betray willingly the precious information they know. The trick is to get progressively them into the mood of providing more than they initially wished. To influence is a delicate art, made by words, smells, attitude, many ways. But who am I to tell you that? Despite being dedicated to the Lord of Murder, you seem clever enough to have figured it out by yourself, if I am not mistaken.

Most of my job is just to observe, analyse, check hypothesis, revoke false beliefs because they are not consistent with facts.
It is a field job, believe me, but best done when the field is idle.
In my eyes, killing an intelligent being is always a loss of information. I always try to balance that loss with the interest for killing, be it religious, defense, or simple sport of two-leg game hunting.
If your preferred God was happy with mutilations rather than quick kills, that would sometimes help quite a lot the inquiries."


The Crimson Chronicles were part of the forbidden library to which Clavisson had access to, but not part of what he had read. He was suprised to hear about such a fine blend of poetry and sound recommendation.

"Back to your question about where I shall rise, you said it in two words: "Look" and "Find".
Sister of the Temple, next time you fight in vicinity of me, who have little value in the fight itself, I will concentrate and look at your actions. I'm not versed in fighting, but in observing. I will observe you, your foe, and together you and your foe. For this particular fight - for your techniques might be standardized, but every fight is different - I believe I can find a way to make your fight more efficient. Even if you are concentrated on it, I will try to influence the outcome with subtle recommendations, to you or to your foe, that you might not even perceive as such. I'm confident that you could well find out that you had attained a greater level of ease than usual.

But what about you? You cook well, you show a team spirit, you are knowledgeable, what other surprise are you going to disclose?"


Disclosing indirectly about Hysh ability to improve friend's martial prowesses.

_________________
Clavisson the detective - WS3 S2 T4 D4 I5
Equipment: Staff, 4 dagger (throwing)

Inventory: Hadrilkar amulet - 1 guard's amulet - Drachau's note - diverse lighters, candles and black powder - backpack with rope, flint & tinder, a lantern, a sleeping bag/blanket, a flask, erm, other things - 10 meals initially.
Skills: Power of Hysh (1), Urban Lore
Class: Mage (Light)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:12 pm
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 594
She walked through the city, gazing into darkness and expecting a new threat behind every corner. After this long eve, nothing could soothe her vigilance, neither the gentle rain and silent streets, nor the unstoppable steps of their guide. The others did not seem to be at ease, either, looking attentively around with grave looks in their eyes. As the last farewell, Everain showed them two long dead guards, whose painful grimaces screamed out all the horrors they suffered. No one dared to even say a remark, nothing violated the silence.

Then they walked out of the city and Zarathi hoped they had left all the monsters behind theselves - or the majority of them at least.

***
The two shades seemed to compete who can appear more grim and unfriendly. They were surely aiming for the national finals at least - although Khaela was a very strong opponent in this regard.

In a small camp, there were backpacks and horses waiting for them, as well as a cold one for Khaela. Zarathi raised her eyebrow when she first saw the monster, but nodded appreciativelly shortly after. It was obvious no horse could carry the giantess in full plate armour for long. It was not always easy to realize obvious things. For example, it seemed that no one was aware she had never ridden a horse before. Or maybe no one cared.

She knelt by a pack of supplies to take a look what is inside. Again she had to give credit to whoever had prepared it for them. There was food, bandages, warm gloves, everything she could dream of.

She looked up. Khaela managed to send her nauglir to the ground with one single blow. After that, the mount never showed disobedience again. Zarathi asked herself what kind of woman is this, with so unnaturally strong arms, called Spine of the Mountain, but quickly chased the thought away. It was time to meet the horses.

They were certainly the noble, proud dark steeds the whole nation adored so - not some weaklings captured from the excuses for elves that live in the woods. Their dark skin seemed to shine with a mysterious glare in the moonlight, the thorns on their legs added to their look of both swiftness and lethality. Through their eyes, viciousness comparable to one of a witch elf was to see and their teeth prooved this temper is not to laugh upon. Zarathi went to the one with the longest fangs.
“You seem a bit skinny,” she said. “I suppose it is hard to chew with teeth like those, is it?”
The beast stared at her without any hint of understanding.
“Have you ever carried a peasant girl? I suppose you were always ridden by noble warriors. It is going to be a nice change. Lowborns sometimes care about those who carry them on their backs.” She muted her voice and added: “You may feel used, but if we all who work hard unite, we can fight for our rights. But first, I have to execute this infiltration mission - I count on your assistance, comrade.”
The horse was so shocked by this blasphemy that he even forgot to bite her. She slapped his neck and walked to his side.
“At least they gave us stirrups,” she said with relief. “I am curious if someone removes them and tries to ride in the modern kneeling way. Could be fun to watch.”
Having said this, she swung into the saddle. Her poor mount looked to his neighbour and his eyes were full of selfpity.

[OOC: sorry for dropping out of character, I just couldn't resist]

***
The first few hours of riding were painful both for Zarathi and her horse. But after some time she learned how to work with her weight and on the first eve of their journey, the horse seemed he had come to terms with his fate. During the third day of their journey, the lowborn got used to the constant painin her tights and found out she had the time to look around and observe her companions. She was surprised how badly was Clavisson withstanding the journey, murmling curses and attempting corny jokes. Valin was apparently dissatisfied with this journey as well, sending unhappy looks to Khaela whenever she ordered the group to move even more quickly. Se'alara and Taldein were able to hide their tiredness better, but Zarathi still felt emboldened that she could best her companions in some ways at least.

With the fifth dusk the giant warrior ordered a rest and took a watch. Everyone seemed to just thankfully fall to the ground, barely finding time to eat a few bites of bread or clean the spot they would sleep on.

In the night, Zarathi awoke from the freezing air. She pulled her blanked tighter and looked around. Everything was still and peaceful, even the scary nauglir did not move the slightest. The sight of her sleeping companions awoke a strange feeling of intimacy in the lowborn. Se'alara, wild red hairs all around, could easily be her adored prettier sister. Clavisson, pulling his blanked up to his face, looked suddenly very vulnerable. Valin, not able to say any long speeches about test subjects, was more akin to a grumpy uncle than an untrustworthy adventurer. And despite being barely noticeable under the shadow of the cover, the thought that Taldein with his contemplative look is here sharing his fate with all of them was strangely comforting. Zarathi looked at them with sorrow, holding the snowflake amulet on her neck. Then she turned around so that she could not see them anymore, knowing that in the morning, she would again be alone.

Not far from her, Khaela was still on her watch, unmoving and unshakable, still in her massive armour. Zarathi had to wonder, who was this woman? Unnatural strength, never tired, never sleeps, how had she achieved this?
But the thought quickly escaped her grasp while the lowborn fell back to sleep.

***

In the morning, the giantess was gone. Zarathi looked at the idly lying armour in suspicion, but then Valin distracted her.
„What, how do you want to use a tree in combat?“ she asked in a light tone meant to expel any sign of insult from her words. „Do you want to hit the enemy to the nose? Then you need something tough, not fast growing.“ Zarathi shook her head. „Anyway, what about some kind of aspen? They get from seedling to full growth in ten or fifteen years, that's not bad for a tree.“

Turning her head to the other conversation going on, she remarked to the cooking witch elf: „This thing seems promising, though you should maybe hold the pot a bit higher. The porridge will cook more evenly.“

She combed her hair quickly and put her headband on again, then remarked to the inquisitor:

„I don't get how do you want to recommend something subtly in a fight, in the middle of all the mess, while someone is trying to crack your head with a hammer. Well, I hope I'll never know. Foolish hope, isn't it?” She smiled a bit and started to prepare herself for another day in the saddle.

Comedy time, then atmosphere time, then chatting time.


[OOC: I hope I do not cause too much confusion when talking to more people in a single post. If you feel otherwise, the remarks to Se'alara and Clavisson can easily be ignored.]

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:15 pm
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Valin looked blankly at Zarathi for a moment as if using a fully grown tree in combat was the most natural thing in the world before realising that the logic behind it required a certain amount of background information.
“Well I wouldn’t suggest lifting it and swinging it around like you would a sword. What is required is a somewhat more unique method of using the plant. In my case it involves an infusion of life energies. Take for example an acorn. In most cases the act of throwing an acorn at someone would, at worst, prove a brief and ineffectual distraction. However if you infuse it with enough life magic while in mid air, you end up throwing an acorn and a half ton sapling landing on your enemy. I must say the look on their face is often priceless.”

Stopping for a breath Valin reflected upon the possible inadvisability of mentioning he used magic. However he had been hired in that knowledge, so getting strung up would seem unlikely.

_________________
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance


Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:39 am
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 594
Zarathi looked at Valin sharply and her smile faded away.
„Magic, you say?“ she repeated. „This is a bad joke. I admire how you can bluff, you almost got me, but next time, please, choose some other topic for your pranks. Someone could believe you.“
She stole a short grave look at the always silent Taldein, another on the hateful shades guarding their restplace, and turned back to Valin:
„It would be sad to lose your head to a bounty hunter just because of a stupid joke.“

Male magi are illegal, and therefore Valin cannot be one. Logical. :)

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:14 pm
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Valin smiled at Zarathi and replied sharply with unusual insight into the conversation. "Oh of course, I was simply shortening the explanation. In reality I've coated the seeds with high nutrient paste of my own devising which has the effect of stimulating cellular growth to levels previously unheard of triggered by the increase in oxygen caused by the rapid transit through the air facilitated by the throw. As you can see though, that explanation is somewhat long winded. Similarly if you happen to get a limb cut off I'd be more than happy to apply a powder which can, in moments, fuse the flesh back together and restore the limb to you. I guarantee the powder wont be made of whatever pieces of charcoal are left over from the previous nights fire combined with cooking spices to give it a medical smell." His smile faded as he spoke. "Alternatively you can take me at my word and leave any undue worrying over the state of the connective tissues in my neck to me. We're in the middle of the wilderness chasing a rogue magic user into the chaos wastes under unusual circumstances where our employer is more than happy to hire mercenaries rather then send a squad of her best troops. I can almost guarantee that she is intentionally operating under the radar and anything we do, or are, is not going to be made public knowledge."

_________________
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance


Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:15 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8713
Location: Hag Graef
Soon they were joined by the female peasant, who chatted with the rat hunter.
Code:
Know your allies:
Valin's magic Lore is Life.

In their discussion, the latter disclosed openly his status as vauvalka, which the former was not able to believe.
Well, being wise and being clever were not the same thing and each of them was gifted with one quality, let's see the glass half full.
Valin had a good reaction though, providing such complex explanations that nobody with any sense could pretend to understand them.

Zarathi was so naive, that she could sooner or later betray unwillingly Valin - or Clavisson - in the most inappropriate time.
The best was to get her to believe the most sincerely that there was no magic-user in the group.

"Zarathi, don't worry about Valin, as he explained, he is a great master of powders combinations which can lead to spectacular outcome.
I'm sure he has some powders so subtle that we might even not notice them the slightest, but effective in the same way.
What matters is that he seems to be a gifted healer, blessed be the Names of Hekarti, Anath Raema and Ereth Khial.

You are young, you have to discover many oddities in the world that you might not have ever conceived so far.
I praise your solid common sense and prudent attitude. It will be useful more than often, I'm confident."


Chatting.



_________________
Clavisson the detective - WS3 S2 T4 D4 I5
Equipment: Staff, 4 dagger (throwing)

Inventory: Hadrilkar amulet - 1 guard's amulet - Drachau's note - diverse lighters, candles and black powder - backpack with rope, flint & tinder, a lantern, a sleeping bag/blanket, a flask, erm, other things - 10 meals initially.
Skills: Power of Hysh (1), Urban Lore
Class: Mage (Light)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software