Mordheim Revision: Fluff questions to consider

Discuss and participate in the development of the Mordheim Druchii warband here.

Moderators: Loflar, The Dread Knights

Mielkith
Assassin

Post by Mielkith »

Recruitment: Morathi will only send extra elves upon proof of progress or those elves already in Mordheim, desperate as they are, need persuasion to fight on.
Demonyak
Warrior

Post by Demonyak »

Further thought: we have 2 separate warband types: sisters of pleasure and devotees of khaine. Sisters want wyrd stone for magical properties, devotees think they can raise an avatar. Why else would Druchii want wyrdstone?
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I don't think we'll be doing that. It would be better if we have a standard list that people can make what they want out of (like the main army list could be used to make a cult of pleasure before the actual list came out).

EDIT: Why does anyone want wyrdstone? It's pure magic in solid form.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Mielkith
Assassin

Post by Mielkith »

Assassins

The discraced Highborn and his army sent through the Under-Empire never returned, foul play being suspected. Malekith would have ensured that this Highborn will never return, sealing the entrances and sending his most potent weapons after him seem the logical thigs to do.

Unfortunatly it is too dark to track in the tunnels and a complete maze. Many Assassins were sent down there, never to come back without killing the Highborn first. they did not find him in time. He and his remaning army emerged near Mordheim and dissapeared inside the city, with the closest assassin just two days behind.

He entered the city following the trail from the exit. Other assassins found Elven and skaven carasses, deducing the Highborns course and soon found there way into Mordheim aswell.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I'm not usre what you're getting at Mielkith, is it the justification for the assassin hired sword being there that you're talking about?
ImageImageImageImage
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

There is already a DE assassin Hired Sword :)
Mielkith
Assassin

Post by Mielkith »

Yes, there is already an Assassin Hired sword, but he was also made for Lustria. If we are justifying all Dark Elven presence in Mordheim surely the Assassin needs a reason too.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Not that much of a reason. I can't remember offhand but I think he's just in lustria to hone his skills. The same holds true for Mordheim. Anyway, since he's not an official part of the warband maybe he shouldn't be our concern. Or maybe he should be added as a new hero type available to us like the dwarven warbands can get slayers?
ImageImageImageImage
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Dunno. I think we have enough heroes..
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

As a replacement for the fellblade maybe? Or maybe not. Just throwing out ideas.
ImageImageImageImage
Orteo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Orteo »

It is possible we could replace Fellblades which seem to be almost universally unpopular with assassins. But why would assassins join the parties? I can see no reason why they would be included. Assassins are expensive and are meant for stealthy assassination missions. Upon setting out there would be noone they would want to asssassinate, so why spend your gold on an assassin?

Remember, fluff first. We shouldn't be talking about whether it would be cool for assassins to be in the warband or what they would do, but why they are there. The Assassin's role seems too specific and infrequent to warrant hiring on a permanent bases. The hired sword makes more sense. As for why he is there to begin with; he was probably hired by the Convent or the Temple of Khaine to remove a potential threat in Mordheim. After finishing the job, he decided to stay for awhile, since work was aplenty.
We've all begun to die, and don't know what to do.
Since it hurts to pray to God, when God is dying too.
Takes strength to laugh, when you start to drown.
And we dance while the sky crashes down.

-Jason Webley
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Dont think so.. Fellblades are much like the personal "Black Guard" of a highborn. They should be there.

I think, exactly by Orteo's reasons, that he should be a hired sword, the assassin, and not a hero ;)
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I'm loath to include them myself, partially because it'll overall be cheaper to hire one as a merc than as a hero.
ImageImageImageImage
Mime
Black Guard

Post by Mime »

Anaryin wrote:
As for the Albion idea, how was it again?

Th idea is to pull some of the threads together, the one thing linking DE, HE and Mordhiem is the rather large numbers the DE and HE fought at Albion. Stick with me.

Albion and Mordhiem are linked by the Dark Prince with the forgettable name.

Consider now the possiblity of a proficy of our own, different to the humans of course, refering to the coming of the comet as bringing something to find the way to Albion.

This would mean that both Elven races would then be keen to have people in Mordhiem, Druchii wantin to find the way to open Albion, Asur desperatly keen to ensure it never happens.

Now both races have a reason to have people near Mordhiem when the Comet, and maybe a few Unfortunates in Mordhiem, but never mind them, as opposed to just chancing upon the place.

Crap never was good at getting what I'm thinking into written words, but I hope it's a little clearer.

Mike
Whip me, beat me, bash me, crash me, throw me against the wall, oh ah baby I love it when you treat me rough!!!
Silas
the Mad

Post by Silas »

mime wrote:Albion and Mordhiem are linked by the Dark Prince with the forgettable name.

You mean Bel'akor?

But i understand what you are trying to convey and I think that's pretty good. Unsure as to what would be better; Arquins or yours. I'd have to see a properly typed fluff one your yuors first to decide.
Mielkith
Assassin

Post by Mielkith »

The way to open Albion would be to free the Shadow Lord (Be'lakor). He was working on gathering Wierdstone to grow stronger until he break out of the confines of the pit.
He eventually does achieve his goal, else he would still be in Mordheim.

If we were to help him it would involve us fighting for Wierdstone and giving in to the possessed. That dosn't sound particulary Druchii to me.

It could be a very vague prophecy. "When judgement falls unto Mordheim the key to Albion will return to this earth."

The Mists around Albion were lifted because of Belakor and his Dark Emisarys, so I think its fair to say Belakor was the key to it.

The Dark Elves investigate, trying to find this Key. They think its the Wierdstone when in fact it is the Shadow Lord.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

"When judgement falls unto Mordheim the key to Albion will return to this earth."

That says: Get the wyrdstone to me. Also it kinda was the key but in a roundaout way.
ImageImageImageImage
Nekroskop
Highborn

Post by Nekroskop »

Well, I stand by my suggestions, Wyrdstone-gathering parties funded by the convents sounds extremely reasonable to me.

How the Druchii found out about it, well, it's kinda hard to miss a Warpstone Comet when you are constantly watching the flux of the Warp, so the DE should know of it.

I like the connection with Albion, as the Albion mission was in the end the same as the Storm of CHaos subcampaign for us - Druchii setting out to get the treasures of the Old Ones. And we won that campaign, so setting up to open Albion sounds like a nice reason.

But in the end, do we need so much Detail? Look into the background of the other warbands, they have a few lines to explain their presence.

Therefore I think some reference to the sorceresses noting the comet and sending out warriors to collect the shards (which have countless uses in magic rituals) should suffice completely.

When the Highborn (even so I dislike that name as well, the leader should be a noble max) sends back his findings, he will be reinforced by more warriors and equipment (or warriors from other warbands flock to him, seeing him as more able to lead)
I waste him with my boltthrower!
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Since you seem to think the background is overlong try getting an average word count on the other warband's fluff.
ImageImageImageImage
Mime
Black Guard

Post by Mime »

Arquinsiel's right about the fluff, the book warbands get a full page, plus comments elsewhere. So I think well have plenty of room to weave a story.

Lke the idea of missing the point of what the 'key' is exactly, but not to turned on by the idea of collecting Wyrdstone for the sake of having the stuff. I think the DE are a little more clued up than that.

Mike
Whip me, beat me, bash me, crash me, throw me against the wall, oh ah baby I love it when you treat me rough!!!
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

It's pure magic. Chaos is solid form. Apart from that the Tilean Rat story in an old anthology was about a witch elf sent to Marienburg specifically to get some.
ImageImageImageImage
Nekroskop
Highborn

Post by Nekroskop »

I agree, getting wyrdstone should be enough motivation. Even when it's rarely mentioned, I think every self-respecting sorcerer is looking for Warpstone, and the Druchii are even using Dark Magic, the unrefined winds of magic.

I admit to being wrong about the volume, was talking from memory here.
I waste him with my boltthrower!
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

No problem. I do think the fluff proposal is a bit rambly though and will need tweaking.
ImageImageImageImage
Mime
Black Guard

Post by Mime »

Interesting, I wonder what a Witch Elf is doing with warp stone? Not like shes going to hand it to a sorceress willinly. Maybe it's used in construction of cauldrons?
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Maybe it can be sold ;)