All My Gold: the price and equipment thread.

Discuss and participate in the development of the Mordheim Druchii warband here.

Moderators: Loflar, The Dread Knights

Ansob.
Follower of Malal

All My Gold: the price and equipment thread.

Post by Ansob. »

...sorry about the Zero Wing rip-off. :P

I just attempted to make a warband in English this morning, and got this (new armour rules):

Noble - dagger, daksteel sword, RXB, sdc, light armour, helmet. 175 gc (ouch).
Lordling - dagger, RXB, shield, light armour. 90 gc.
Lordling - dagger, sword, shield, light armour. 75 gc.
Sorceress - dagger. 60 gc.
Beastmaster - dagger, beastlash, shield, light armour. 70 gc.

That's already 470 (!) gc, just from heroes. The only extra thing that can go there is one naked shade. That's it.

Ow. Just, ow.

I was wondering - should we reduce the start-up price of darksteel and sdcs by 5 gc (sdcs 30 at startup, 35+2d6 later; darksteel +10 at startup, +15+d6 later)? There's no counterindication to this, and it makes sense fluffically (more easily available at home). That would make the warband (with a few switcheroos) this:

Noble - dagger, darksteel sword, sea dragon cloak, light armour, helmet. 140 gc.
Lordling - dagger, repeater crossbow, shield, light armour. 90 gc.

450 gc this time around, which is enough for one bow-armed shade, or a light armour and shield corsair. Okay, that's still nothing (and I'd have to scrap one of the Lordlings in order to be able to actually make something decent), but heh...

Noble - dagger, darksteel sword, sea dragon cloak, light armour, helmet. 140 gc.

Shades (3) - dagger, bow. 135 gc.

We're expensive!
Basically, there's no taking all our heroes with proper equipment for us.
Ouch. :cry:

Edit: so this has moved on somewhat from just me showcasing a very expensive warband. Read my big-ass post and reply, people. This is important. :P
Last edited by Ansob. on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

While I understand, that you made it to test new armour rules, I would still start without the LA. It would give you 30 (?) gc to buy and RXB for the shade, and after the first battle, you may invest into hardened leathers (5 gc).

Edit: OK, I just realized, that then you could not test the armour on a beginning warband ;-)
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Loflar wrote:Edit: OK, I just realized, that then you could not test the armour on a beginning warband ;-)

Oh, a bright one. :P

I've just done some more thinking.

Under the new armour rules, you could get this:
  • Heavy armour (5+).
    Shield (3+/4+ CC/shooting).
    25 gc, -1M penalty.
  • Light armour (6+).
    Shield (4+/5+).
    SDC (3+/3+) at 35 gc.
    50 gc, no penalty.

It doesn't seem right to me that we should get just one extra point AS against shooting only, yet pay double the price. I wouldn't object to paying 35 gc total, but 50 gc seems a bit steep.
Now, the new armour rules have divided the price of light, heavy anf full armour by two. Why would we not divide the price of the sdc (50 gc, not the new one), by two as well? In addition, remember we removed a point of AS from the SDC, so I don't think stackability should be payed for (-10 gc for the point lost, +10 gc for stackability). Therefore, logically, the SDC should be priced at 25 gc. I would be prepared to go up to 30 gc, but still, I think 25 should be the price.
However, in the event that the experimental armour rules don't make it (which I very, very seriously doubt given how solid they are), we'd have:

• Heavy armour (5+).
    Shield (4+).
    55 gc, -1M penalty.
  • Light armour (6+).
    Shield (5+).
    SDC (4+/3+ CC/shooting) at 35 gc.
    50 gc, no penalty.

Yet our save would still be better than the empire save.
Now, the question is, why would we get a better save and no movement penalty for less? It seems absurd, doesn't it? A 30 gc DSC at least makes it so we that we pay the same price. Unfortunately, we can't have a section in the rules saying "NB: if the new armour rules are used, drop the SDC price!" Cue this racial rule:

Lithe (working name)
Elves are graceful, agile creatures, but they are not endowed with the same constitution as humans, dwarfs or other, more sturdy creatures. Dark elves may never wear any armour other than Sea Dragon Cloaks, Light Armour and Ithilmar armour (in addition to shields and bucklers).

It makes sense for the same reason that we dropped the Strength skill table, solves the price issue (basically disallowing us from having heavy armour, a shield and an sdc to get the equivalent of a gromril armour save for half as much). I like this. I'm thinking of putting it in Alpha 4.

Unfortunately, that still leaves the problem of price. Especially with this rule, under the new armour rules, we're paying way too much for the sdc.

• Heavy armour (5+).
    Shield (3+/4+ CC/shooting).
    25 gc, -1M penalty.
  • Light armour (6+).
    Shield (4+/5+).
    SDC (3+/3+) at 30 gc.
    45 gc, no penalty.

That means we pay 20 gc for +1AS against shooting and no movement penalty, yet we cannot wear any "heavy" armour types. Under the old rules, we get this:

• Heavy armour (5+).
    Shield (4+).
    55 gc, -1M penalty.
  • Light armour (6+).
    Shield (5+).
    SDC (4+/3+ CC/shooting) at 30 gc.
    55 gc, no penalty.

Which is exactly the right price (no penalty and +1AS against shooting is balance by the fact that we can't wear anything offering more protection), if you ask me.

So we're still stuck with the price issue. Under the new rules, we're hideously overpriced; under the old rules, we're the right price.

But we have an easy way out!

This list is still in internal PTing (synonym for "not much" :P). I have a very simple rule of thumb for us to adopt (which only works if Lithe is in, so I'll kill anyone who disagrees with it):

In games where the old (current) armour rules are used, the SDC is priced at 30 gc starting, 30+2d6 later.
In games where the new (experimental) armour rules are used, the SDC is priced at half that, 15 gc starting and 15+d6 later.

Right, that's sorted out; moving on, now.

Darksteel weapons. +15 gc is a tad expensive for a sword; +10 gc sounds reasonable. I would certainly pay +15 gc for a heavy weapon, though...

...so there's this. Instead of a fixed amount of gold payed per weapon, I suggest we take example on the current rules for ithilmar/gromril weapons.
Gromril weapons: 4 * the price of the weapon.
Ithilmar weapons: 3 * the price of the weapon.
It's a simple bound from thereon to Darksteel weapons: 2 * the price of the weapon.
I have one fear, though: it would be possible to buy a darksteel dagger at 4 gc (just as you may buy a gromril or ithilmar dagger at 8 or 6 gc). That means that for 4 gc, you get a weapon that, yes, gives your enemy an additional +1 to his AS (under the new armour rules, the following balances out fine; under the old ones no one takes armour so it doesn't), but will OOA an enemy on a 4+, stun him on a 2-3 and knock him down only on a 1.

I have no problem with that, inherently. Unfortunately, what I foresee happening is that the darksteel dagger becomes an automatic purchase and leads to general cheesiness.

There are two solutions to this problem. Either we go back to a fixed price (10 gc is what I advise), in which case with the new one it's 2 * price for most things except axes (overpriced) and great weapons (underpriced, but no one buys them anyway), and to buy a darksteel dagger you have to pay 12 gc (cheesiness issue solved); or else, we edit the darksteel rule to mention that this special metal and forging technique can only be implemented with blades above a certain length, and so you may not have darksteel daggers. That is, of course, only in the case that I'm not the only one who feels that 4 gc daggers with that power are cheesy.

Moving on to the RXB.

The RXB is essentially a bow that shoots twice, but shoots twice with a penalty on the second shot. A bow is 10 gc. Does it not make sense that an RXB would be 20 gc at the greatest maximum? I don't think it should be worth more than a crossbow - even though our BS is higher, that's still your average shots at long range [b]or[/] having moved (so -1), which is 4+ to hit, and the second one at 5+ to hit. Indeed, I don't even think it should be worth the same as a crossbow.
This is especially true under the new armour rules - two S3 shots won't be doing much, and whoever buys an S4 shot for the same price has an undeniable advantage against the multitude of armoured opponents bound to show up.
Now, we can either accept the fact that our RXB is useless against armoured opponents, just like in WFB, or we can drop it 5 gc. This means that it's now double the price of a bow for double the shots, featuring a somewhat less prohibitive cost.

One last note: bows on heroes and corsairs.

You'll notice I removed them from the list in Alpha 4. Shades still have access to them, but heroes and corsairs can no longer get bows.

Why did I do this? Well, Geoprhim's report in (I believe) the A3.5 thread showed that bows were a tad too effective. Combined to the RXB's 25 gc price, this meant that it was much, much more intelligent to buy a bow for every BS4 model in your warband than get RXBs on a few models for 2.5 times a bow's price.

In addition to this, from a fluff point of view, it makes sense. Corsairs might have some inkling of how to use a bow, but since this is the majority, I can say this: it's much harder to use a draw-aim-loose weapon in an enclosed, close quarters battle environment like a ship/ark's holds than it is to use a point-pull trigger which shoots-pull lever to reload in that same environment. It makes more sense that corsairs should use RXBs than bows.

Nobles and Lordlings are (mostly for the second type, always for the first) a part of the nobility. As such, they would have been well taken care of. It might be logical that their weapons master would have trained them to use a bow in the eventuality of the case in which an RXB wasn't available, but these are elves (and dark elves) we talk about: incredible pride and arrogance. The Druchii being a military race, I imagine its leaders (noble-borns) would always consider the product of Druchii ingenuosity (RXB) of a much greater value that crude bows, to the point of snobbing the latter. In short, "it's not a Druchii weapon" does indeed work as an argument for Heroes.

Shades, however, are tribal people living isolated deep within the mountains of Naggaroth. It's illogical to assume they would train with an RXB all the time: RXBs are complicated, require a lot more maintenance, are no where near as damage-enduring as a regular bow. They probably only see RXBs when they join the army: they're mass-produced then, and so the shades - commando units - can easily be prioritised to get them. Perhaps those shades that survive and come back can keep their standard-issue stuff. The shades, being nomadic savages et al, also hunt for a living rather than trading. Since they only have very few RXBs available (as demonstrated just now), and bows are much easier to make and maintain with conventional means, they most likely use bows for hunting and such. That means there's precedent for shades having access to both RXBs (military and show and tell by the veterans) as well as bows (the weapon they probably use to train their marksmanship skills starting at a very young age).

Anyway, rather long-winded post. I need opinions on everything except the bow issue, as that was me trying to reach a compromise between the people who wanted them and those who didn't as well as being truer to fluff and promote (in addition with the 5 gc price reduction) the use of RXBs.
General Kala wrote:
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

I will have to read your post later, to be able to think about it. But a quick question, which you might consider stupid, but which will IMHO make it to FAQ soon after your Lithe rule goes public.

Executioners do wear heavy armour, don't they?

(And no, you will not kill me. I have tactically positioned Germany between us.)
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Loflar wrote:Executioners do wear heavy armour, don't they?

(And no, you will not kill me. I have tactically positioned Germany between us.)

One word: Mordheim. Again, take the individual above the group: executioners used to be S4. The great weapons and heavy armour are still indicative of how much stronger than the average elf they are.

(Drats, foiled again. I'll get you next time!)
General Kala wrote:
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

ANSOB wrote:Lithe (working name)
Elves are graceful, agile creatures, but they are not endowed with the same constitution as humans, dwarfs or other, more sturdy creatures. Dark elves may never wear any armour other than Sea Dragon Cloaks, Light Armour and Ithilmar armour (in addition to shields and bucklers).

Sounds very good to me. Keep it, however the discussions go! (fluff, you know?)
ANSOB wrote:The RXB is essentially a bow that shoots twice, but shoots twice with a penalty on the second shot. A bow is 10 gc. Does it not make sense that an RXB would be 20 gc at the greatest maximum?

No, No, NONONO!
The RXB is extremely effective, because you can shoot twice a turn! Mortheim is not a WH40K with wooden bolts! Maybe we should even drop the rxb from the Corsairs.

ANSOB wrote:It's a simple bound from thereon to Darksteel weapons: 2 * the price of the weapon.
I have one fear, though: it would be possible to buy a darksteel dagger at 4 gc (just as you may buy a gromril or ithilmar dagger at 8 or 6 gc). That means that for 4 gc, you get a weapon that, yes, gives your enemy an additional +1 to his AS (under the new armour rules, the following balances out fine; under the old ones no one takes armour so it doesn't), but will OOA an enemy on a 4+, stun him on a 2-3 and knock him down only on a 1.

I agree, we should drop the dagger from the darksteel equipment. Makeing the rest for double price might be too less for the efects.
../¨¨¨|
.|ô/ô 9..Real sportsmen hunt with arrows and fish with flies.
.~~ /|...Real gentlemen play games which require skill, not tools.
.|__/\...Extraordinary gentlemen even win with them.
.[>o<]...Welcome to the League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Cat-the-Odd wrote:Sounds very good to me. Keep it, however the discussions go! (fluff, you know?)

Aye. In that case, the sdc definitely becomes 30/15 gc. I just want other people to pronounce themselves on this issue.

Cat-the-Odd wrote:No, No, NONONO!
The RXB is extremely effective, because you can shoot twice a turn! Mortheim is not a WH40K with wooden bolts! Maybe we should even drop the rxb from the Corsairs.

Crossbows for corsairs are fine, as already explained.
My big problem is that under the experimental armour rules that are being playtested on the Mordheim forums, armour (on heroes at least) becomes just as much of a no brainer as it is in WFB. That means that warbands which have crossbows have a much, much wanted advantage on us, since they can actually shoot enemy heroes whilst we have to pray for luck. I agree that there's nothing wrong with it being 25 gc under the current armour rules; I guess we'll just live with RXBs being overpriced.

Cat-the-Odd wrote:I agree, we should drop the dagger from the darksteel equipment. Makeing the rest for double price might be too less for the efects.

"Too less for the effects?" Huh?
The Alpha has already been edited to reflect this. Darksteel weapons are now "2 x Price" and darksteel daggers aren't possible (you can get a darksteel axe for 10 gc, though. Then again, the sword is still much, much more widespread and useful, so this doesn't unbalance anything).
General Kala wrote:
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

A neutral shade of black. wrote:Oh, a bright one. :P

Yes, thats me ;-)

Finally I had time to read your analysis. Some issues about SDC are in the SDC thread, rest follows.

There are two solutions to this problem. Either we go back to a fixed price (10 gc is what I advise), in which case with the new one it's 2 * price for most things except axes (overpriced) and great weapons (underpriced, but no one buys them anyway), and to buy a darksteel dagger you have to pay 12 gc (cheesiness issue solved); or else, we edit the darksteel rule to mention that this special metal and forging technique can only be implemented with blades above a certain length, and so you may not have darksteel daggers. That is, of course, only in the case that I'm not the only one who feels that 4 gc daggers with that power are cheesy.

My personal problem about DS weapons is, that I consider all the fluff about protrusions etc. a complete nonsense. But to your solutions. I am for a combined apporach. Say, that only swords (i.e. sword and 2h sword) may be changed this way, and that it doubles their price.

The RXB is essentially a bow that shoots twice, but shoots twice with a penalty on the second shot.

Wrong.

LRB wrote:A model armed with a repeater crossbow may choose to fire twice per turn with an extra -1 to hit penalty on both shots.

A bow is 10 gc. Does it not make sense that an RXB would be 20 gc at the greatest maximum?

No. RXB is effectively two bows. 25 gc seems right to me, at least for starting warband.

This is especially true under the new armour rules - two S3 shots won't be doing much

Yes, that is what armour is for.

Now, we can either accept the fact that our RXB is useless against armoured opponents, just like in WFB, or we can drop it 5 gc.

We can also mitigate this uselessness by better availability of poisons.

You'll notice I removed them from the list in Alpha 4. Shades still have access to them, but heroes and corsairs can no longer get bows.

I agree with your reasoning here. But I still think that there is no reason for forbidding throwing knives ;-)

SDC for 30 or 15 seems good.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Some more sdc price maths, after this comment: the issue with sdc is that if the EAR (Experimental Armour Rules) are adopted, then it's hideously overpriced, so we want to divide its price by two in environments that use the EAR. That means we should be giving it an even price. In our price range, that's either 30 or 40 gc.

In the event that it's 40 gc:

SAR (Standard Armour Rules)
  • Heavy armour (50).
    Shield (5).
    4+ save. -1M penalty.
    55 gc.
  • Light armour (20).
    Sea dragon cloak (40).
    Shield (5).
    4+ save in close combat, 3+ save against shooting.
    65 gc.

Is 10 gc a suitable price for that extra half point (one point working half the time = half a point >.>) of armour save and the no movement penalty, given the fact that Lither comes into play?

EAR (Experimental Armour Rules)
  • Heavy armour (20).
    Shield (5).
    4+ save. -1M penalty.
    25 gc.
  • Light armour (10).
    Sea dragon cloak (20).
    Shield (5).
    3+ save.
    35 gc.

This, however, looks much, much better priced - the 10 gc extra are paying for no movement penalty and an extra point of AS all around.

So yet again, I have a pricing problem with the sdc. It's either 40/20 gc and 5 gc overpriced/perfect, or it's 30/15 gc and at least 5 gc underpriced/5 gc underpriced. I have just one question:

How many gc would you rate Lithe? It may sound a weird question, but what I mean is, how much of a reduction in gold do you think Lithe gives us on the sdc, since we cannot get a higher save than 3+/4+ shooting/CC (under the SAR) or 3+ all around (under the EAR)? The answer is rather decisive: if you think it's worth 5 gc or more, then 30/15 is the price to go; if you think it's worth nothing, then 40/20 is what we want.

Actually, screw that; heavy armour is 50 and drops to 20 under the EAR. I vote for 35/20. This means that under the SAR, [No M penalty + +1AS vs. shooting - the ability to wear heavy armour types] = 5 gc and under the EAR, [No M penalty + +1AS all around - the ability to wear heavy armour types] = 10 gc.

I vote for 35/20. Sorry if it's horribly confused, by the way; I have a tendancy to type-as-I-think when doing petty maths.
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

"That means that for 4 gc, you get a weapon that, yes, gives your enemy an additional +1 to his AS (under the new armour rules, the following balances out fine; under the old ones no one takes armour so it doesn't), but will OOA an enemy on a 4+, stun him on a 2-3 and knock him down only on a 1. "

PArdon me, but aren't you using the Darksteel rules in a wrong contest here?

They don't add 1 to the injury roll but to the roll on the critical hit chart.

That in combination with their concussion-like additional special role makes it 1 knocked down 2-4 stunned 5-6 out of action. Just wanted to point that out.

€: I agree RxBs should be made cheaper - they do not benefit from quickshot and can't have hunting arrows - two definite advantages of bows in the later campaign.

My solution: Lower the cost of RxBs to 20 points while at the same time you simply disallow the use of bows.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Cenyu wrote:PArdon me, but aren't you using the Darksteel rules in a wrong contest here?

They don't add 1 to the injury roll but to the roll on the critical hit chart.

That in combination with their concussion-like additional special role makes it 1 knocked down 2-4 stunned 5-6 out of action. Just wanted to point that out.

Yeah, I realised that only this afternoon. Can someone with a better knowledge of Mordheim enlighten me as to whether the correct application of the darksteel weapons rules makes darksteel daggers cheesy?

Cenyu wrote:€: I agree RxBs should be made cheaper - they do not benefit from quickshot and can't have hunting arrows - two definite advantages of bows in the later campaign.

My solution: Lower the cost of RxBs to 20 points while at the same time you simply disallow the use of bows.

No. Shades keep their bows, full stop. I've already explained why. :P
Do we have a definite ruling on Quickshot + RXB = impossible? Because I haven't seen one, and last I checked Quickshot works with crossbows, which means we can an additional shot with no modifiers.
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

"Quick Shot: The Warrior mayshoot twice per turn with a bow or crossbow (not a crossbow pistol)"

Taken from the Mordheim Rules Review. As far as I know this means it does not apply to RxBs.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Cenyu wrote:Taken from the Mordheim Rules Review. As far as I know this means it does not apply to RxBs.

Hmm. Correct. Perhaps add to its description that it is compatible with Quick Shot (and any other of the xbow/bow skills)? I mean, we don't have access to bows and crossbows except for shades (bows only), which means we're pretty much fucked as far as shooting skills are concerned (no black powder either).
General Kala wrote:
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

Poison on Shooting weapon?
I thought it was only for CC weapons.... (can someone find out?)

We should leave the darksteel rule for all the weapons, exept for daggers, means: sword, halbred, axe and double-hander.

ANSOB wrote:How many gc would you rate Lithe?

NOTHING! 40/20 is Ok. since sdc is stackable everyone, who wants something protective will pay!
Last edited by Cat-the-odd on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
../¨¨¨|
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Daggers can use darksteel again, since as Cen so nicely pointed out I was reading the rule completely askew. There's really nothing overpowered with them, so that's fine.

Cat-the-Odd wrote:
ANSOB wrote:How many gc would you rate Lithe?

NOTHING! 40/20 is Ok. since sdc is stackable everyone, who wants something protective will pay!

Quote tags take quote marks.

The sdc will remain at 35/15 until further playtest is made - Lithe is in the Alpha, by the way. :)

About spiked bucklers - people keep saying how cool they were. Well, spiked bucklers, no, but spiked shields... Our AB mentions how Druchii shield are usually always spiked and bladed to be used as weapons. With that in mind, it's a simple step to...

Druchii Shield (10 gc; Rare 7, 10+d6 gc)
Druchii Shields differ from common shields in that they are meant to be used in an offensive, in addition to the usual defensive functions, way. A Druchii Shield follows the normal rules for shields, but any model equipped with one receives an extra attack at base strength every turn as if he were carrying another weapon. This attack is totally independant of the type of weapon the model is carrying (it does not inflict an additional -1 to armour saves if the model is equipped with an axe, for example).

I suppose the attack could change to be a dagger attack, but then 10 gc would be a tad overpriced... What say you?

Edit: another possibility: 15 gc; Rare 8/15+d6 gc; adds one attack to the model's basic profile.
General Kala wrote:
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

A neutral shade of black. wrote:I mean, we don't have access to bows and crossbows except for shades (bows only), which means we're pretty much fucked as far as shooting skills are concerned (no black powder either).

Someone can still learn Weapons Expert and then buy bow or crossbow.

Cat-the-Odd wrote:Poison on Shooting weapon?
I thought it was only for CC weapons.... (can someone find out?)

LRB is unclear here. In fluff part it says something about poisoned blades and then (as a rule) it forbids use of poison on blackpowder weapons, without mentioning other ranged weapons.

Imperial Assassin uses crossbow pstol with poisoned bolts, IIRC.

A neutral shade of black. wrote:Druchii Shields differ from common shields in that they are meant to be used in an offensive, in addition to the usual defensive functions, way. A Druchii Shield follows the normal rules for shields, but any model equipped with one receives an extra attack at base strength every turn as if he were carrying another weapon. This attack is totally independant of the type of weapon the model is carrying (it does not inflict an additional -1 to armour saves if the model is equipped with an axe, for example).

I suppose the attack could change to be a dagger attack, but then 10 gc would be a tad overpriced... What say you?

Interesting. Maybe some some explanation how it works would be useful - what critical hits table does it use? I think that dagger equivalent (i.e. +1 AS] is OK. It's essentially 5 gc for 1 more hand ;-)
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

The shield thng seems a bit way out to me. It's not particularly easy to use a shield as a weapon let alone aim a blade on a shield.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

It may not be particularly easy, Arq, but it's in the fluff as something the Druchii do. Remember, elves - milleniae - life dedicated to martial training. :P

Loflar: I know they can learn Weapons Expert... But not at the start. You'd need them to get enough experience to advance, then roll a skill advance instead of a stat advance.

About the Druchii shield: actually, I quite like it being 15 gc for +1A on the base profile. In any case, I don't think it should cause criticals at all (as a balance to the fact that it's a freebie hand).
General Kala wrote:
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

Arquinsiel wrote:It's not particularly easy to use a shield as a weapon let alone aim a blade on a shield.

IMHO it is pretty intuitive. You just parry with sword and, at the same time, hit with a shield. I would not like a blade there, though. I do not like a prospect of accidentally cutting my right hand with my own shield ;-)
And the blade would not stay long. Attacks are often blocked by shield's edge.
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

I like thiese bladed shield stuff! If we want to keep it for fluff then, I think, we should really, overprice it to keep a playing balance (+1AS & +1A)! Rules questions may come up with Spear&DRShield. Maybe we have already very much funny things and should not add too much to the existing WH-world.
../¨¨¨|
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

A neutral shade of black. wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Taken from the Mordheim Rules Review. As far as I know this means it does not apply to RxBs.

Hmm. Correct. Perhaps add to its description that it is compatible with Quick Shot (and any other of the xbow/bow skills)? I mean, we don't have access to bows and crossbows except for shades (bows only), which means we're pretty much fucked as far as shooting skills are concerned (no black powder either).

I have just stumbled on this discussion: http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=1861
Of course, it is unofficial etc, but it might show designers intentions

JaronK wrote:Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:58 pm
Post subject: Big Mordheim Changes

A little warning... the rules review has come out, and Mordheim has undergone some serious changes.
Quickshot now only effects bows and crossbows (but not repeater crossbows) and you can move and shoot twice with a bow.
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

Throwing knives. The issue was raised again in A35 thread, and I think that it belongs here, so I write here.

ANSOB wrote:The problem with throwing knives is the same problem Arq raised with rope and hook: why us? The throwing knife isn't a national Druchii weapon, which means we have no real reason to include it.

I view it from different perspective. In time of need, wise warband leader will use just about anything. Including stones lying on the street. Druchii should be able to use any weapon, so why not throwing knives?

National weapon... They are not mentioned in Warhammer army book. Why? IMHO because DE are elite army, so soldiers are given the best equipment available. Throwing knives are inferior to RXB, so they are not used.

Situation in Mordheim is different. OK, RXB is better, but very expensive (more then some henchmen) and hard to get. I can accept the reasoning, that self respecting Druchii noble will not use an "inferior" weapon like bow or crossbow, but throwing knives are not shooting weapon. They are thrown weapon - different category.

Another reason. Throwing knives are easily concealable. This should appeal to Druchii - let's call it codex of honour...
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

The point isn't that we'd be able to get them or not, or would want to use them or not. The point is that Druchii soldiery does not train with throwing knives. We can still get the knives in postgame, but we wouldn't be able to use them because our henchmen and heroes weren't trained to use them. That's why the knives shouldn't be in the list, not because of some balancing issue. The only way it might work is giving them to shades, and even then it's a stretch (and unneeded as the shades already have access to the bow).

And in addition to that, "wise" isn't the adjective I would have used to describe the Druchii. ;)
General Kala wrote:
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

A neutral shade of black. wrote:The point is that Druchii soldiery does not train with throwing knives.

OK, that's good point. But, how do you know?

AFAIK modern infantry, or at least paratroopers, do train throwing knives, although they are definitely not their weapon of choice. SMGs are just better...

Druchii warband, operating deep in the enemy territory, can be compared to paratroopers.

The only way it might work is giving them to shades, and even then it's a stretch (and unneeded as the shades already have access to the bow).

I think that they would fit corsairs more. How do they spend the long free time on board of black arks anyway? They just have to play some games, like throwing knives at new conscripts ;-)

And in addition to that, "wise" isn't the adjective I would have used to describe the Druchii. ;)
Would "having good survival instinct" qualify?
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Loflar wrote:Druchii warband, operating deep in the enemy territory, can be compared to paratroopers.

No. Being a raiding nation, these troops present in Mordheim are the exact same troops that are the bulk of our main military force.

Loflar wrote:I think that they would fit corsairs more. How do they spend the long free time on board of black arks anyway? They just have to play some games, like throwing knives at new conscripts ;-)

It's not because some corsairs throw knives as a pass-time that all corsairs are capable of using knives as a lethal weapon. In addition to that, corsairs are a military unit, and are actually trained in their weaponry. Shades are auxilary units, and their training is left to the clan elders.

Loflar wrote:Would "having good survival instinct" qualify?

Slightly better. ;)
General Kala wrote: