First Beta Impressions

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Doriili bariiliia
Raiding Baron

First Beta Impressions

Post by Doriili bariiliia »

So Figured it might be safe to create a thread about Beta Frrst impressions.

Good:

Seems to run well on my machine, which is 2 years old and running a ATI X300SE So that is pretty good. Lag was there but not too annoying. Might Fiddle with setting and get really good proformce later.

Combat pretty easy to follow and works pretty good.

The Early foes are interesting and there are several of them throught the quests.

The Background Graphics are wonderful and characterful. The Black Ark is amazing looking.

The Questing system is easy to follow what needs to be done [At least for Combat quests]

The Tome of Knowledge is nice thing to have. Quite useful, or should be over time.

Ten Character Slots a server! Sweet!

Annoying:

You can get knowledge quests which are achived by walking over knowledge points. The Directions for these are vague, I spent 15 minute doing one because I couldn't figure out where i was to view the Shore from on the top of the first heal in the dark elf Starting point.

Knowledge points give xp and entries for your tome but there nothing to let you know where one might be you just run over them by change.

Falling causes way too much damge and at many camera angles it too easy to miss that you are on an edge.

Yes Open Beta just started I know but the having like 200 people in the zone was annoying, hard to complete quests if there nothing to kill. felt Cluttered.

Bad:

People look far too much alike! While there is minor customization. Everyone is wearing the same clothes and the opinions aren't different enough.

It took four hours to patch the game this morning, that is far too long, heck i think I downloaded the game in less time.

Server load, Not that I mind playing with OZ and Zealanders but might have been nice to have a choice. Server loads seem to be quite high.

Over all pretty good , changes are real good that I pay money to play.
"Khaine is pleased with my service brother, I care little for your opinion. The Old world is my playground. Our family lands in Naggaroth are yours."
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

For the Knowledge quests and such... well, they are meant to be annoying. They are there for those people who have explorer's streak in them, you know. going to random places no one else ever would cause there's no point beside the view ;).

At the beginning everyone always looks the same. But as the game progresses, even if you and another person wear exactly the same set I'm pretty sure you will have it dyed in different colours.

Patch is connection problem, not game problem ;)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Doriili bariiliia
Raiding Baron

Post by Doriili bariiliia »

Dalamar wrote:For the Knowledge quests and such... well, they are meant to be annoying. They are there for those people who have explorer's streak in them, you know. going to random places no one else ever would cause there's no point beside the view ;).

At the beginning everyone always looks the same. But as the game progresses, even if you and another person wear exactly the same set I'm pretty sure you will have it dyed in different colours.

Then it is a port or some other problem then because I can pull 300 throught the connection woth nomal downloading.

Watching with in one view as many 50 people looking almost exactly like you is annoying, fine for latter on that it will be dyed but i have always favoured better clothing options, I have also never understood what these games have againt starting people with basic arrmour.
"Khaine is pleased with my service brother, I care little for your opinion. The Old world is my playground. Our family lands in Naggaroth are yours."
Eqaddictedfool
Corsair

Post by Eqaddictedfool »

So i got the beta on sunday and am infinatly impressed with the game thus far. The amount of detail put into each item like the chariots and the bolt throwers is down perfectly. the game runs great on my customer built computer with 3 gb of ram, windows vista ultimate 64 bit, core 2 duo and an nvidia 8600 gt. Seeing the black ark for the first time was absolutly amazing and the scenerios are buttloads of fun to run when the questing gets boring. Thus far im only level 10 and have experianced alot of cool stuff as a witch elf. I love doing the public quests. Few problems with the game as is are the dark elves losing the tank which amkes alot of the public quests very hard for dark elves. The charecter models do lack quite abit but thats nothing that cant be fixed over time. The major problem I have with the game at the moments is the combat bugs where sometimes enemies arnt attackable buthey this is a beta thats why I'm here. This is one preorder im not going to neglect /cough vanguard cough
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Exploration stuff that you come upon by chance are great: I was going up a hill in the south end of Chrace because I saw some path on the mini map and I came to a cave with a Level 40 Hero (Chrace is lv 7~11) and I got a ToK entry with information on the Beastmen inside O:!
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

SilverHeimdall wrote:Exploration stuff that you come upon by chance are great: I was going up a hill in the south end of Chrace because I saw some path on the mini map and I came to a cave with a Level 40 Hero (Chrace is lv 7~11) and I got a ToK entry with information on the Beastmen inside O:!

Haha! YES! This is what I wanted as well. Paul Barnett said something about adding in special little features into the nooks and crannies of maps for the adventurous player. I can picture it now, exploring the chaos wastes and suddenly you find yourself a giant demon in your face when you decided to go further into a small cave you found.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

I'm loving the game thus far. This being my first MMORPG, my praise and critiqe might be towards the genre as a whole, but it still stands:

Good:
- Overwhelming number of quests to take in every zone. In ulthuan, in chrace, for an example, there seems to be around 15 quests in every village.

- Easy to learn combat

- the party thing is great. Creates unity when doing Public Quests. There is a social thing going on, even when you are without a guild.

Bad:
- Overwhelming number of quest. As a result, many seem similar and tedious. It will be much more fun though, when I get in a guild, I guess.

- Sound. I miss music. I miss dialogue... It just lacks that, I find.

- Everyone wants to be destruction, it seems...

- The removal of some of the classes, poses some problems... Here in the beginning, players tend to keep to the realms that they start in.
As a result, scenarios tend to be very "pure", meaning that it only consist of players playing the two races belonging to the realm. That means that in DE vs HE scenarios, HE is naturally stronger, since DE lacks a Tank class.

I have more to say, but I'll chip in with more opinions later. I can only access d.net from my university, for some reason, so...
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Everyone wants to be destruction, it seems...

Hahahaha I told you all!!! Every single player will go destruction hence why I'm rolling Order, the PR people hyped up chaos to well whilst they just shrugged their shoulders at Order classes and went "he's a human he does some things but nothing really cool".

Have fun playing with all the 10yr olds hahahahha...

It may possible ruin the game.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Well, I haven't really been keeping an eye on all the PR, and I think destruction is much cooler anyway. They're far more characterful, as a whole, than order, I think. That said, being a witchhunter is still pretty cool... I'm playing as a Shadow Warrior now, but I might go with Witchhunter when the game starts for real.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I'm just a mustache twiddling, top hat baddie at heart. So destruction was already branded onto my heart. :P

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Yea I would like to go evil but after playing on a server for pvp on wow where 99% was one side no pvp ever occured I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN AGAIN!

so by playing the minority I'm more suited to have fun aren't I?
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Zardock Doombringer wrote:Yea I would like to go evil but after playing on a server for pvp on wow where 99% was one side no pvp ever occured I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN AGAIN!

so by playing the minority I'm more suited to have fun aren't I?

Hehe, I suppose your right. But everything is going to be even anyway, in terms of the number of people on each side and the skills. So we should be having the same amount of fun.

I look forward to meeting you in Altdorf while we are razing it.

Amaya
Warrior

Post by Amaya »

Doriili Bariiliia wrote:
Dalamar wrote:For the Knowledge quests and such... well, they are meant to be annoying. They are there for those people who have explorer's streak in them, you know. going to random places no one else ever would cause there's no point beside the view ;).

Then it is a port or some other problem then because I can pull 300 throught the connection woth nomal downloading.

Watching with in one view as many 50 people looking almost exactly like you is annoying, fine for latter on that it will be dyed but i have always favoured better clothing options, I have also never understood what these games have againt starting people with basic arrmour.

You can't expect to be given a full array of the twenty+ sets per class at level one.

The beta is capped at level 20. Levels 1-20 is the noob zones, when you hit level 40 the game begins.
Amaya
Warrior

Post by Amaya »

Zardock Doombringer wrote:

Hahahaha I told you all!!! Every single player will go destruction hence why I'm rolling Order, the PR people hyped up chaos to well whilst they just shrugged their shoulders at Order classes and went "he's a human he does some things but nothing really cool".

You do realise they have population caps and buffs in place when one side is loosing, right?

Lets say each server is capped at 3000 people.

3000 Destruction log on, but only 2000 order. Order looses really bad and gets pushed back quickly, so the server will buff the xp rate of order characters and give new created characters a boost. It will also flag the server and side so people can see the boosts on realm select.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Zardock Doombringer wrote:

... and kind of comment is mature? :roll:

This comment is what I like to call flame bait and is completely totally unneccessary. Absolutely no reason to post something like this. Keep the discussion Civil please. -Azure WAR Moderator
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error