Any word on Black Guard?

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

I have to agree with Grogsnot, it would have certainly been possible to have Assassins as the ingame male counterparts as Witch Elves. Witch Elves basically play like Assassins should play. (come on, a frenzied half berserk Maibd of Khaine using stealth??)

However I think the main reason for not doing this is population imbalance. Destruction already outnumbers Order by a pretty large margin on most servers, giving Destruction an Assassin would greatly shift the numbers even further towards Destruction. (and get all the former wow-rogues to WAR *shudders*) ;)
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Odium
Trainee Warrior

Post by Odium »

The Black Guard are coming very soon. Here is a quote from the Warhammer herald. This is from Mark Jacob's "State of the Game" posted today.

Let’s start with what we know is some truly exciting news. I’m happy to announce that in December, the Black Guard and the Knight of the Blazing Sun will officially be part of WAR. We have very special plans around their appearance and in our next newsletter we will provide full details about that exciting and rather novel event. When they were cut from the game launch plans earlier this year, I said that the Black Guard and the Knight would be part of WAR only when they were great and deserved their place alongside all of WAR’s other compelling classes. I also said that we would not charge any additional fees for this new content or put it in a separate expansion pack; that’s not how we operate. We’ve kept to that plan and with the introduction of these two classes, Mythic shows that once again we are happy to keep giving players more value for their subscription dollars than any other MMORPG developer.

So BG coming in December. A link to the whole "State of the Game" is here: http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warhe ... war?id=386
"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake."
-Napolean Bonaparte-
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Apparently I am not the only one who thought it was strange there was no option for a male Witch Elf (aka Assassin).

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums ... p?t=152323
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Redphantasm
Slave on the Altar

Post by Redphantasm »

I would see the problem coming up in relative skill of the two (assassins and witch elves). Mythic based very much of this on the World of Warhammer as GW made, with little exceptions for more heal oriented classes.

In tabletop, even an average assassin has stats above and beyond most Dreadlords/Generals/Nobles/Witch Kings. Assassins in the fluff are highly trained, relatively uncommon agents of the Temple of Khaine. Witch elves by contrast are of a much lower skill level, and much much more numerous. I really wouldn't see them as alternate versions of each other.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

In tabletop there are no male Sorcerers and Witch Elves don't use stealth. The point being that they could bend things a bit to make it work. Its not like Witch Elves share nothing in common with Assassins. Quite the contrary, they share much in common...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:In tabletop there are no male Sorcerers

Sure there are, I have two models.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:and Witch Elves don't use stealth.

Because they can rely on being in a unit to get to the enemy instead of operating on their own most of the time.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Dalamar wrote:
GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:In tabletop there are no male Sorcerers

Sure there are, I have two models.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:and Witch Elves don't use stealth.

Because they can rely on being in a unit to get to the enemy instead of operating on their own most of the time.

Now you are just nitpicking details and being a general pain in the ass Dalamar.

Male Sorcerers are clearly against the general "fluff", yet the game designers wrote some sort of story into the game to make them ok. They also took quite a bit of liberty in what a Witch Elf is, and in the end created a character that is much closer to a Dark Elf Assassin than a Witch Elf, as far as the "fluff" goes. Thus my point stands that the designers could have easily made a male counterpart to the Witch Elf that just looked like an Assassin. All it would require is some new graphical textures.

Your only comebacks to my arguments have been stupid one-liners that don't hold up in any serious discussion. I don't need to see them anymore. If you actually posed real reasons for not doing this, like Lore Tareq, I could take you seriously.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'm just tired of fighting everyone claiming Mythic is breaking lore at every step when in fact they're not.

Dark Elf male sorcerers are not uncommon sight, they are outlawed yes (not so in WAR), but they are not uncommon. Heck, Menghil Manhide's story tells about him killing his sorcerer brother. There are many more instances like that.

Mythic decided to make Malekith revoke the law for the duration of the invasion to bolster his power. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Saying male sorcerers break fluff when given the above facts is simply wrong.

As for assassins:
1 in 100 (approximately) babies thrown into the cauldron survive,
1 in 100 of those who survive the cauldron survive the assassin training.
Death Night happens once in a year
How many assassins do you think that makes?
a couple dozen at best, maybe around a hundred
Now make assassin a playable class and you will see thousands of them
That would be a lot more lore breaking in my opinion.
Witch Elves, alongside executioners, are foot soldiers of the temple. There are many, and many more join their ranks all the time, they don't need to jump into the cauldron for it.

The fact that they can stealth in game and can't scout in TT has nothing to do with it.
I'm pretty sure a single witch elf in TT would be able to sneak up on her target. But they come in frenzied units!
Remember WAR witch elf only starts building up her frenzy once she gets in combat, so as she's an elf I'm pretty sure she's smart enough to sneak up on her target first before exposing her no armour defences.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16