Any word on Black Guard?

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Any word on Black Guard?

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

I had always wanted to play this game as a Dark Elf warrior-type character, and currently no such option exists. There is the Witch Elf, but she is female (I don't like playing female characters) and not really a warrior as much as an assassin/rogue type character. I want to wear heavy armor and tank. Currently, I cannot do this as a Dark Elf, and as a result, I've decided not to get into this game right now.

Does anyone have any idea if and when we might see Black Guard introduced back into the game? I sure hope so, because that was THE class I always had my eye on...

Thanks for your input. :)
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Mark Jacobs said they are working on getting the missing classes into the game within 4 months.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Cool. I'll check back beginning of next year :)
Anglakhel
Trainee Warrior

Post by Anglakhel »

Mark did mention four months, but he did say Some of the careers and he did have a lot of "or"s in the statement.

That said, he previously stated the BG was pretty functional but needed iteration and polish they didn't have time for, so I think the BG and KotBS are top contenders for getting into the game in the next few months.
Nathyyr
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nathyyr »

With any luck the BG will be introduced soon - they are the entire reason I got into Warhammer Online in the first place - besides of course, my undieing love of the Witch King
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

On a similar note, why is there no way to play a male Witch Elf (aka Assassin)? It seems odd that sex was restricted for this class when, in the game, Witch Elves actually behave more like Assassins in many respects anyway.

Just a thought/question...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Because Witch Elves don't *have* males! duh

Assassin would be completely another class (and again sex restricted)
7th edition army book:

Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Dalamar wrote:Because Witch Elves don't *have* males! duh

Assassin would be completely another class (and again sex restricted)

I disagree. The class could easily accomodate males. The Witch Elf class in the game has many abilities that are much more like Assassins (stealth attacks, killing blow type stuff, etc). And Assassins are basically the male counterparts of Witch Elves.

I guess I just don't like having the only melee class be sex restricted.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I suppose that was GW not wanting to water it down too much. They had to put in the male Sorcerers already, and the DoK class, since otherwise Dark Elves would have been even more limited in that regard. ;)

I probably wouldn't have included the Witch Elf as a class in the first place, and rather used the Assassin instead.

Bye
Thanee
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Not to mention assassins (the proper ones trained by the temple) are *rare*. It would be odd to see hundreds of one-in-a-hundred cauldron survivors running around.
7th edition army book:

Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Dalamar wrote:Not to mention assassins (the proper ones trained by the temple) are *rare*. It would be odd to see hundreds of one-in-a-hundred cauldron survivors running around.

I don't think that WAR could stay perfectly on the fluff.. just look at the HE career: "Archmage" isn't there supposed to have a few Archmage in the HE Fluff? I don't think there's as much Archmage in the fluff that we can make in the game. :roll:
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You're mistaking Archmages with Loremasters.
Archmages could be compared to PhD of modern world.
While Loremasters hold the Professor titles.

Now of course elf that can be considered a mage, in human scale already surpasses the capabilities of most powerful humans. As rulebook to WFRP states by level 4 wizard entry: This is the moment when elven mages complete their apprenticeship and embark on path to become archmages.
7th edition army book:

Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Dalamar wrote:Not to mention assassins (the proper ones trained by the temple) are *rare*. It would be odd to see hundreds of one-in-a-hundred cauldron survivors running around.

As opposed to the thousands of male Sorcerers running around? Not feeling it man. Sorry...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

There *are* hundreds of male sorcerers. Just because something is outlawed doesn't mean it's not practiced. Quite the contrary.
And one of first bits of information you receive as you progress trough first Dark Elf zone is the fact that for WAR Malekith temporarily removed the law and ordered all noble houses to give him the list of all sorcerers they employ.

Of course those noble houses gave him incomplete lists so they can retain some of those sorcerers after the war, because obviously the lists will be great source of execution materials.
7th edition army book:

Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

But your argument that it would be strange for so many Assassins to be running around when they are "rare" doesn't it cut it. Male or female, wizards are also "rare", yet we see them all over the place in this game. Why should Assassins be any different?

I still haven't seen any significant justification as to why there is no ability to play a male Witch Elf, especially since the Witch Elf in the game is a blend of Assassin and Witch Elf from the tabletop game. Having male Sorcerers only adds to the argument that it should be possible.

Meh...whatever. Its Black Guard or nothing at this point I guess...
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

Grogsnot, if you want to roll a male warrior, why don't you just roll a disciple of khaine? I roll a disciple, and I have been quite pleased with the gameplay. And if you think the disciple can't tank, you're off your rocker. Yesterday, I was tanking white lions with my disciple.
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

The Disciple is a healing class but a melee one at that. He really does gain his heals through beating on opponents. And they are capable of tanking okay with the static self heals they can produce through attacking alone. Only weakness they have really is their lack of aggro building which only applies really in pve.

About male witch elves and sorcerers. I think that Druchii was probably not the right choice to put into the game to begin with. But anyway they are here and I love them. But I would have loved seing corsairs as the melee dps choice instead of the witches(something about people running around naked on a battlefield just doesnt work for me)
Only reason for female marauders and chosen not being available was because they couldnt make them ''pretty''. This and the choice of making Druchii an all naked ladies faction tells me this: Mythic are owned, run and managed by virgin boys.
If they insist that if they cant make a woman a stereotypical hottie then why do dwarves have females? I wont rest before i can make a half naked female nurgle marauder.

Anyway I was running around on my order char(yes I play both factions) and had a good time mauling DE corsairs in pve. And my question is as follows: Is it so hard to make a 3d computer model of a sea dragon cloak and if so why corsairs?
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

You wanted corsairs as melee dps? I wanted executioners.

On the matter of women running around nearly naked, well, that seems to only be the case with the sorceress, witch elf, and the zealot. All other females are very well clothed. My white lion alt certainly won't be complaining about the cold any time soon.

Edit: apparently female chosen and marauders can't be around unless Slaanesh is involved, which is odd considering there are slaanesh worshipping npcs in Inevitable City.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

And soon to come Black Guard (I'm guessing they will allow females there) will most definitely be far from naked considering the full plate ;)
7th edition army book:

Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

I've seen the alpha/beta footage of the blackguard, and yes, the females are fully clothed and armored.
Blackfel
Black Guard

Post by Blackfel »

Witch Elves are called the "Brides of Khaine". Unless Khaine has REALLY undergone some changes in the past couple of editions, male Witch Elves are just kinda creepy.

Not to mention that seeing them in chainmail banana hammocks would be wrong on too many levels to count.

Blackfel
There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Blackfel wrote:Witch Elves are called the "Brides of Khaine". Unless Khaine has REALLY undergone some changes in the past couple of editions, male Witch Elves are just kinda creepy.

Not to mention that seeing them in chainmail banana hammocks would be wrong on too many levels to count.

Blackfel
Theres nothing wrong with chainmail speedos... Prude! :P

Sorry... No offence mate... I just had to...

sorry...
*crawls back under the table wimpering to shut up*
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Blackfel wrote:Witch Elves are called the "Brides of Khaine". Unless Khaine has REALLY undergone some changes in the past couple of editions, male Witch Elves are just kinda creepy.

Blackfel

I don't think you understood my point. What I am saying is that there are many Assassin-like qualities to the Witch Elf in W:AR, which means that a male version of the class should have been considered/created. A male "Witch Elf" would obviously be based on the look of an Assassin and dressed appropriately.

Instead of "Witch Elf", the class should have been called "Warrior of Khaine" or some such and given the choice to use male (Assassin) or female (Witch Elf).

Having a sex restriction on the class was unnecessary, especially when the class is a blend of Witch Elf and Assassin. And I challenge anyone to dispute that it would be cool to dress and play as a Dark Elf Assassin...
Last edited by Grogsnotpowwabomba on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

For the same reasons why Executioners are not a druchii melee class.

It would be fun to dress up and play an Assassin. But it would be grossly unbalanced to make a class that relies on stealth and taking down the enemy with a single blow to the heart/neck/wherever.

Witch Elves revel in the fight and spilling blood.

Assassins kill quickly and efficiently.

Making them act like male witch elves would simply not give Khainite assassins justice.
7th edition army book:

Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Dalamar wrote:For the same reasons why Executioners are not a druchii melee class.

It would be fun to dress up and play an Assassin. But it would be grossly unbalanced to make a class that relies on stealth and taking down the enemy with a single blow to the heart/neck/wherever.

Witch Elves revel in the fight and spilling blood.

Assassins kill quickly and efficiently.

Making them act like male witch elves would simply not give Khainite assassins justice.

Why do Rogues work in WoW? Why do Witch Elves seem to be ok with stealth attacks? Stealth attacks would not imbalance the game at all if done right.

Your fluff reasons don't hold any weight either. Assassins could have easily been implemented. Just take a Witch Elf character and make it a male and dress it in a cloak. With the mechanics of the game as they are, it would have worked fine. The Witch Elf skill tree lends itself just fine to an Assassin.

Assassins revel in the killing as well. You have no clue if you think otherwise. They just attack from behind and from disguises, as opposed to Witch Elves who fight openly. In W:AR, though, the Witch Elf class is a clear blend of those two aspects. Thus my argument holds...